Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4809270 times)

SupremePizza and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 94
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26700 on: January 07, 2021, 04:33:40 PM »
So, the tensor ATG's I was riding were great. 10/10 would definitely buy again. I did some of my best skating last year and I think it's partially do to those trucks. The Losers boards I was riding most of last year (which were made by Sk8factory) were also a perfect shape. While my last board still had a lot of life in it, I decided to fuck up a perfectly good thing a switch up my setup for no real reason by getting new trucks and switching shapes.

8.25 deck BBS
Thunder 148s
Satori 53 101a
Bones swiss
DRKRM grip

How has the move from Tensor ATG mags to Thunder 148's been?  Seems like a big change in terms of truck weight, height and possibly turn.  Losers screened logo looks great btw.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #26701 on: January 07, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
So, the tensor ATG's I was riding were great. 10/10 would definitely buy again. I did some of my best skating last year and I think it's partially do to those trucks. The Losers boards I was riding most of last year (which were made by Sk8factory) were also a perfect shape. While my last board still had a lot of life in it, I decided to fuck up a perfectly good thing a switch up my setup for no real reason by getting new trucks and switching shapes.

8.25 deck BBS
Thunder 148s
Satori 53 101a
Bones swiss
DRKRM grip

How has the move from Tensor ATG mags to Thunder 148's been?  Seems like a big change in terms of truck weight, height and possibly turn.  Losers screened logo looks great btw.
[close]

The board is holographic vinyl

as far as thunders, I looked for ti's and hollows at first, but they were all sold out. I checked 3 shops. The last shop at least had thunders so I said fuck it. I've only got one sesh in, but it wasn't bad. I can feel the weight but my flip tricks were coming around just fine. Flipped into a few grinds. I honestly don't fully get what you guys are going on about when you talk about "turn" in trucks.

NYRAD

« Reply #26702 on: January 08, 2021, 02:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First non Resin 7 Deck
Girl Pop Secret G027 8.25"
Tensor Maglights ATG 5.5
Bones HardCore Bushings ( HARD )

Also this is My First Post :D
[close]
Updated as Forgot my Bushings lol .

Expand Quote
Welcome!
[close]

Thanks Dude !!  ;D
[close]

Welcome! How are you liking those Mag Light ATG's with Bones bushings? I've got a set for an upcoming brand new complete and am considering putting a hard Bones bushing as the bottom one. Looks like you took out your bottom bushing cup, did that affect the geometry/turn of the truck or are the bones bushings taller than the standard Tensor ones, thus making up for that?

Hey Man I love The Tensor ATG hey, and Im a 120kg not exactly small or Light lol so The bones hards are Great i never rode the trucks on default but popped them in as they are in the box with the top washer and love them, i also as the baseplates have Nubs i made little holes in my Shock pads to account for that :), my Son Skates Indy 144 Forged Hollows but i Prefer the turn of my Tensors :)

hope this helps Bro but in my Opinion Bones Bushings are the Best Bushings around

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #26703 on: January 08, 2021, 04:25:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First non Resin 7 Deck
Tensor Maglights ATG 5.5

[close]

Expand Quote
Welcome!
[close]

Thanks Dude !!  ;D
[close]

Welcome! How are you liking those Mag Light ATG's with Bones bushings? I've got a set for an upcoming brand new complete and am considering putting a hard Bones bushing as the bottom one. Looks like you took out your bottom bushing cup, did that affect the geometry/turn of the truck or are the bones bushings taller than the standard Tensor ones, thus making up for that?
[close]

Hey Man I love The Tensor ATG hey, and Im a 120kg not exactly small or Light lol so The bones hards are Great i never rode the trucks on default but popped them in as they are in the box with the top washer and love them, i also as the baseplates have Nubs i made little holes in my Shock pads to account for that :), my Son Skates Indy 144 Forged Hollows but i Prefer the turn of my Tensors :)

hope this helps Bro but in my Opinion Bones Bushings are the Best Bushings around

Interesting man. I'd love to try them. How big are they ? As in height from the ground. Could you compare them to a venture?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

NYRAD

« Reply #26704 on: January 08, 2021, 04:38:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First non Resin 7 Deck
Tensor Maglights ATG 5.5

[close]

Expand Quote
Welcome!
[close]

Thanks Dude !!  ;D
[close]

[close]

[close]

Interesting man. I'd love to try them. How big are they ? As in height from the ground. Could you compare them to a venture?

They Are the MAG ATG 5.5 8.25" axle and the Height is 55mm i dont get wheelbite riding 54mm but i do have .10" shock pads to lol

and honestly i skated last 17 or 18 years ago , then started again recently used the indy Forged 144 53.5mm high and switched to tensors as back in my school days dreamed of owning and skating Tensors and now i do and love them so honestly Cant Compare to Ventures ETC

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26705 on: January 08, 2021, 07:29:48 AM »

Christmas complete that I put together for my girlfriend (it’s her birthday)

Polar Surf shape 8.75" (widest point) / WB: 14.375"
Indy stage 11 regular 149s
OJ keyframe 56mm
Super Reds
Shorty’s Philips hardware

Extremely fun setup. The lady is already linking turns and rolling around pretty effectively. I took a few pushes and loved it. The combo of Indy truck and deck shape makes for excellent 70s style slalom turns and tucked in carves.

I forgot how much I like the turn on indies after skating thunders for a few years. Went out and got a set of 149 hollows for my own setup immediately. I’ve been screwing around with different bushings and risers trying to get this kind of turn out of Thunders but this setup nailed it right out of the box. Might need to do a full polar shape cruiser set up for myself eventually...

Another interesting observation: the surf shake feels a lot smaller than I expected. The 8.75” dimension is really only relevant at the widest point right around the front bolts. The tail is much thinner and makes the thing a lot more like a zip zinger than I expected. Oh, and the wheel wells are working great, I only got the tiniest little bit of wheelbite even when I was muscling my way thru super tight circular carves.

Garbagewagon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #26706 on: January 08, 2021, 09:13:48 AM »
I think I need a Polar Surf Shape...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26707 on: January 08, 2021, 11:43:52 AM »

Girl board was a total failure, 3rd board this year so far...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #26708 on: January 08, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »

Christmas complete that I put together for my girlfriend (it’s her birthday)

Polar Surf shape 8.75" (widest point) / WB: 14.375"
Indy stage 11 regular 149s
OJ keyframe 56mm
Super Reds
Shorty’s Philips hardware

Extremely fun setup. The lady is already linking turns and rolling around pretty effectively. I took a few pushes and loved it. The combo of Indy truck and deck shape makes for excellent 70s style slalom turns and tucked in carves.

I forgot how much I like the turn on indies after skating thunders for a few years. Went out and got a set of 149 hollows for my own setup immediately. I’ve been screwing around with different bushings and risers trying to get this kind of turn out of Thunders but this setup nailed it right out of the box. Might need to do a full polar shape cruiser set up for myself eventually...

Another interesting observation: the surf shake feels a lot smaller than I expected. The 8.75” dimension is really only relevant at the widest point right around the front bolts. The tail is much thinner and makes the thing a lot more like a zip zinger than I expected. Oh, and the wheel wells are working great, I only got the tiniest little bit of wheelbite even when I was muscling my way thru super tight circular carves.

Yeah just to echo your statement, it doesn’t feel like an 8.75 whatsoever.. reminds me more riding an 8.25. Even with 56 conical fulls and aces and rails it didn’t feel too cumbersome. I had mine setup as a cruiser/curb board but it ended up being my main setup until I got a new deck for Xmas.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #26709 on: January 08, 2021, 12:55:20 PM »
Broke my regular board on a frontside flip. Surf board was on a flatground ollie one foot. Lesson learned there. If you add the age of both together though you’d get an average of 3 weeks of use out of each

Damn both those decks look pretty new....

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #26710 on: January 08, 2021, 03:41:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Broke my regular board on a frontside flip. Surf board was on a flatground ollie one foot. Lesson learned there. If you add the age of both together though you’d get an average of 3 weeks of use out of each

[close]

Damn both those decks look pretty new....
Wow

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #26711 on: January 08, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »

Round 2:
Polar Hjalte 8”
Polar Shin Sanbongi p9

Better luck this time around!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26712 on: January 08, 2021, 06:54:53 PM »
Girl board was a total failure, 3rd board this year so far...

Hopefully BBS is back for the win, for now at least.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

front_crooks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #26713 on: January 09, 2021, 01:03:17 AM »
Anybody have recommendations for setting up a cruiser board?  I have a bunch of old decks and I'd just like to set up something quiet at night to get to my car since I have to park far.  Figured I'd like to go cruise around downtown late at night too.  Trucks, risers id needed, what wheels..

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #26714 on: January 09, 2021, 02:19:40 AM »
Anybody have recommendations for setting up a cruiser board?  I have a bunch of old decks and I'd just like to set up something quiet at night to get to my car since I have to park far.  Figured I'd like to go cruise around downtown late at night too.  Trucks, risers id needed, what wheels..

Ace trucks and either Ricta cloud 78a (if it’s a smaller cruiser) or Oj mini super juice for bigger cruisers (bigger than 8.5 wide decks). That’s only because I like to do some basic tricks on my cruisers, just pushing around I would probably use the Ojs on any cruiser set up.

More tricks=more specific I get with truck/wheel combos relative to the deck but for mostly pushing around and carving, nothing (imo) turns quite as nice as Aces do and the Ojs comfortably roll over damn near any surface and don’t seem to chip like most other soft wheels have for me. Rictas (the smaller than 60mm ones) are great too because they are shaped closer to normal street wheels, so it’s less clunky to do some tricks and they don’t chip either, but don’t steam roll quite as many crusty surfaces as easily as OJ mini super juice do.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26715 on: January 09, 2021, 02:22:01 AM »
Expand Quote

Round 2:
Polar Hjalte 8”
Polar Shin Sanbongi p9
[close]

Better luck this time around!
that Astro boy board!!!
If it had a shorter wheelbase, I’d be all over it

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26716 on: January 09, 2021, 03:26:52 AM »

As Sundaynuggets said, depending on whether you want to ollie up a curb or do much else besides just getting from A to B, smaller wheels are easier to skate normally (52 to 56 mm) than big cruiser wheels (60+ mm) but the bigger ones will get over everything more easily than smaller ones.

Spitfire 80 HD are very soft and almost squishy when going round corners fast, but roll well going straight or gentle turns.

Ricta come in 78, 86 and 92 and from 52 to 60 mm sizes.

Others like Bones / Mini logo come in 90 duro and all sizes.

I like around 90 duro for most things in cruiser wheels for getting around as they are not too soft and I can still slide on them if I really push, but everyone is different and it depends on what you have available round you as well.

If you have some worn down trucks, retire them for the cruiser and just get yourself some new ones of the sort you want to ride - much easier than getting new ones just for the cruiser too.

Risers optional depending on wheel size or how loose you ride your trucks, but I wouldn't go over about 1/8 with normal 1 inch bolts anyway, unless you really want the big rig feel.

This was from the wheels thread about soft wheels too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3446525#msg3446525

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:35:25 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26717 on: January 09, 2021, 03:29:09 AM »

Santa and you pals hooked it up,

Real heavyweights 8.38”
Indy Allen bolts
Ace 44’s
Bronson raws
Spitfire 54 classic

Quasi 8.38” Al Davis
Thunder 148’s
Bones reds
Spitfire lock-ins 52mm

Passport 8.25”
Random allen hardware
Indy 144’s
Spitfire f4’s 52mm

Wife’s setup.....
Let’s go skate club 8.25”
Thunder hollows
Bones super reds
Bronze Allen hardware
Spitfire 52mm

I’m stocked up and ready to ride for a while I’m hyped and thanks pals for this.

Got a set of Rowan Vans shoes too I’m styling.

That is a good ride or three - always good to have a spare just in case.

When I saw the Real heavyweights, I thought they were a good option for some people I know and definitely last a long time.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #26718 on: January 09, 2021, 08:13:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As Sundaynuggets said, depending on whether you want to ollie up a curb or do much else besides just getting from A to B, smaller wheels are easier to skate normally (52 to 56 mm) than big cruiser wheels (60+ mm) but the bigger ones will get over everything more easily than smaller ones.

Spitfire 80 HD are very soft and almost squishy when going round corners fast, but roll well going straight or gentle turns.

Ricta come in 78, 86 and 92 and from 52 to 60 mm sizes.

Others like Bones / Mini logo come in 90 duro and all sizes.

I like around 90 duro for most things in cruiser wheels for getting around as they are not too soft and I can still slide on them if I really push, but everyone is different and it depends on what you have available round you as well.

If you have some worn down trucks, retire them for the cruiser and just get yourself some new ones of the sort you want to ride - much easier than getting new ones just for the cruiser too.

Risers optional depending on wheel size or how loose you ride your trucks, but I wouldn't go over about 1/8 with normal 1 inch bolts anyway, unless you really want the big rig feel.

This was from the wheels thread about soft wheels too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3446525#msg3446525
For a cruiser that you can ollie and do some tricks Id say the OJ Keyframes are as good as it gets. Such a smooth ride yet you are still able to do tricks comfortably (sliding is kinda hard though)

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #26719 on: January 09, 2021, 09:17:17 AM »
I’m old and not tech so regular kick and heel flips, varial flips and as close to tre flips as I can get. To be fair I learnt varial flips in 1990 on a 9.5 world vallely so guess I’m used to it

Honestly it flips well for its size and better than most other shapes I’ve tried. Maybe it’s the short wheelbase.
Ah makes sense I forget/trip out that you dudes pretty much skated towncars back in the day. Variable flip on that would look mad decent. 
Whoa. Danger.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #26720 on: January 09, 2021, 10:45:15 AM »
Anybody have recommendations for setting up a cruiser board?

Cruiser thread hasn’t seen love in a while.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=38836.1590

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #26721 on: January 09, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »
Random question but anyone get a really steep quasi proto recently? Mine looks like an FA, has way more concave and the tail is decently steep too unlike the mellow stubby-tail jake Johnson acid ply I had before. Feels nice was just really thrown off by shape at first as never see a 8.25 14.25 WB quasi shaped like that

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #26722 on: January 09, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »
Random question but anyone get a really steep quasi proto recently? Mine looks like an FA, has way more concave and the tail is decently steep too unlike the mellow stubby-tail jake Johnson acid ply I had before. Feels nice was just really thrown off by shape at first as never see a 8.25 14.25 WB quasi shaped like that
Mine was pretty steep when I first set it up, but it feels like its flattening as I ride it more-like from medium steep to mellow.

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #26723 on: January 09, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »

I have an 8.25 proto at the bottom of my stack in hopes that it flattens out a bit. Im on an 8.25 Wilson currently and it feels like it’s mellowed out over a few weeks of skating it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26724 on: January 09, 2021, 05:03:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody have recommendations for setting up a cruiser board?
[close]

Cruiser thread hasn’t seen love in a while.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=38836.1590

Thanks - worth an update.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #26725 on: January 09, 2021, 07:49:27 PM »

New Xmas deck. Still have a little life in my current setup but I’m dead set on nailing heel flips and after a session, I think sizing down from an 8.75 to this 8.5 is going to get me there quicker.

8.5 Grandma kinda snubbed nose and kick but with a little taper vs the big square shapes.
149s
53mm F4 Radial
Big Balls

I like it a lot. Stiff and light, pop sounds good. I needed a deck while visiting Santa Fe at Christmas and Ignition got a small order of these which are pressed in a home shop in Albuquerque. Seems like they’re doing some pretty cool stuff. The shop, date, and batch number were etched on the top.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #26726 on: January 09, 2021, 11:37:28 PM »

New Xmas deck. Still have a little life in my current setup but I’m dead set on nailing heel flips and after a session, I think sizing down from an 8.75 to this 8.5 is going to get me there quicker.

8.5 Grandma kinda snubbed nose and kick but with a little taper vs the big square shapes.
149s
53mm F4 Radial
Big Balls

I like it a lot. Stiff and light, pop sounds good. I needed a deck while visiting Santa Fe at Christmas and Ignition got a small order of these which are pressed in a home shop in Albuquerque. Seems like they’re doing some pretty cool stuff. The shop, date, and batch number were etched on the top.
Beautiful

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26727 on: January 10, 2021, 12:05:38 AM »
I think I have been posting too much, so held off posting this, but I am so happy with it right now.

It is easier to post Instagram as pics I upload directly never seem to turn out so well, or they are very small.

My detailed (almost rant) about specs in the post, but the basics:

Antihero 8.38
Indy 149s with aftermarket 92 low bushings
Bones swiss
Spitfire classics 99, 56 when new, now down around 50 so nice and wide
Shortys 7/8 silverados
Jessup grip

Vans Era pro from a long time ago

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26728 on: January 10, 2021, 12:29:15 AM »
I think I have been posting too much, so held off posting this, but I am so happy with it right now.

It is easier to post Instagram as pics I upload directly never seem to turn out so well, or they are very small.

My detailed (almost rant) about specs in the post, but the basics:

Antihero 8.38
Indy 149s with aftermarket 92 low bushings
Bones swiss
Spitfire classics 99, 56 when new, now down around 50 so nice and wide
Shortys 7/8 silverados
Jessup grip

Vans Era pro from a long time ago

How are the low bushings on standards? Eagle will always look so good

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26729 on: January 10, 2021, 02:22:30 AM »

How are the low bushings on standards? Eagle will always look so good

I had been cutting the top one down on standard bushings for a long time but I can just put them straight on and go, as the bottom one is the same height, unlike some other brands where both are very small, the Indy low are only low in the head, not the bottom bushing, and it is about 2 mm or so difference between these and the standard height bushings.

Check the other frames from my post, just hit the white right button - you don't need to go into instagram - as I added a close up on the trucks because I know others who would be asking.

It means I can have slightly harder bushings without the trucks being tight,  so more spring back and less wheel bite (even though all four wheels touch deck easily) but not have them too tight that I cannot carve in tight circles if I want to.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:33:01 AM by Mbrimson88 »