Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4785953 times)

dirtjers and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27300 on: February 27, 2021, 05:15:18 PM »
Shape looks very nice. Whats the concave like? I had a 7.75 K shape once and it was nice and flat, but that could have just been because it was so skinny.

Concave is maybe a touch less than average.  Tail and nose are steep (21.5 and 23 degrees), but there are a few fingers of flat in the tail that gives it a bit mellower pop than the steepness would suggest, yet it has nice pocket for the foot.  So far it's thumbs up. 

Diocletian

« Reply #27301 on: February 27, 2021, 05:43:06 PM »

My nephew is turning 4 soon and I got him his first proper set-up, so stoked!

7.25" Magenta w/Jessup, Shorty's 1" phillips
Ace 11's w/Bones soft bushings, Riptide pivot cups
Dogtown 52mm 92a wheels
Bones Reds

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #27302 on: February 27, 2021, 05:56:00 PM »

My nephew is turning 4 soon and I got him his first proper set-up, so stoked!

7.25" Magenta w/Jessup, Shorty's 1" phillips
Ace 11's w/Bones soft bushings, Riptide pivot cups
Dogtown 52mm 92a wheels
Bones Reds

Damn, the stain on that is beautiful

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27303 on: February 27, 2021, 07:24:43 PM »
Got some wheels and set up a freshie with parts from my stash. It's still too snowy for me to want to ride it, so I'm breaking in the bushing by just rocking back and forth on the carpet like psycho.

I'm also pleased to announce that I have reached a new low in grip jobs. When I got this deck I got the end of the roll, so I was working with like a 3/4 sheet and a 1/4 sheet of 6 month old mob. Parental discretion is advised.

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

Disclaimer: this grip job is not endorsed by and does not reflect the values of crushed skateshop or spitfire wheels
Holy shit, way to ruin that beautiful setup

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #27304 on: February 28, 2021, 01:12:32 AM »

Looking forward to this one

Hockey Nik Stain 8.25
Thunder 148 standards, no bottom washer + bones top
Spitfire conical full 55mm - extra yellow edition
Mini Logo bearings
Hardware ???
Vans Rowans

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #27305 on: February 28, 2021, 02:15:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Got some wheels and set up a freshie with parts from my stash. It's still too snowy for me to want to ride it, so I'm breaking in the bushing by just rocking back and forth on the carpet like psycho.

I'm also pleased to announce that I have reached a new low in grip jobs. When I got this deck I got the end of the roll, so I was working with like a 3/4 sheet and a 1/4 sheet of 6 month old mob. Parental discretion is advised.

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

Disclaimer: this grip job is not endorsed by and does not reflect the values of crushed skateshop or spitfire wheels
[close]
Holy shit, way to ruin that beautiful setup turn that setup into a piece of art.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #27306 on: February 28, 2021, 04:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Frog chris millic 8.6"
ace 55
56mm conical fulls
big balls
mob

[close]
Holy shit, way to ruin that beautiful setup turn that setup into a piece of art. shart.
[close]

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #27307 on: February 28, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »

My spring setup. Skated it a few times now (this photo is from the very first session), granted I'm pretty rusty from winter so my experience riding it is definitely affected by the state of my body. Nevertheless I'll try to review everything based on first impressions. There's a lot of firsts with this setup.

Carpet - 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25

First Carpet board I'm skating. Wanted to skate something a little bigger than my now-preferred dims of 8 x 31.5 x 14 to see if it makes a noticeable difference. It's been fine so far, no huge change in my consistency or pop but time will tell. I will say that the concave and kicks feel perfect for me, not too deep and not too mellow, not too tapered, not too square. Plus the embossed Carpet logo was a nice surprise.

Spitfire Classic 97A 54mm

First 97As I'm riding. Really like these, may keep riding them from here on out. I haven't taken them to the rough streets because of all the snow, just skated parks, but they're not too slick and have some grip, which I prefer. Parks here are dusty, which can in turn be slippery, so it's good to have a little grip. I find them as fast as harder durometer wheels personally, but for example when I tried to do reverts on flat there's definitely some friction. I'll be able to give a better review later once I start skating the streets.

Venture V-light Hi

First time skating Ventures in almost twenty years. Not bad at all so far. When the snow melts and I can really get moving then I'll have a better analysis when I post a new setup. They grind well on transition, light without being overly light (but I don't find Tensor Mag Lights too light either). I'm not too stiff on them, they turn well, but I have Riptide cups in them and I still found them a bit clunky for the first session. I got comfortable with them quickly, though.

Bones 1/8 risers

I'm purposefully trying to make my setup higher than ever to see if there's a noticeable difference in pop, comfort on tranny, etc. So far it hasn't been problematic but my pop isn't different either. Again though, could just be because my body's adjusting to skating on a regular basis as winter starts to end. I may take the risers out to see if that makes my board more comfortable.

Riptide Venture pivot cups

First time I'm using Riptides and they're not cheap with me being in Canada. I bought them b/c of the Venture turning stigma. First impressions are that these cups definitely don't squeak at all, and yeah turning is pretty smooth. I should still loosen the trucks a little bit, though. I also should've tried just turning and getting my Daniel Gesmer on.

Bones Swiss / Jessup

Swiss are excellent, Jessup is Jessup haha.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #27308 on: February 28, 2021, 09:25:24 AM »

My spring setup. Skated it a few times now (this photo is from the very first session), granted I'm pretty rusty from winter so my experience riding it is definitely affected by the state of my body. Nevertheless I'll try to review everything based on first impressions. There's a lot of firsts with this setup.

First Carpet board I'm skating. Wanted to skate something a little bigger than my now-preferred dims of 8 x 31.5 x 14 to see if it makes a noticeable difference. It's been fine so far, no huge change in my consistency or pop but time will tell. I will say that the concave and kicks feel perfect for me, not too deep and not too mellow, not too tapered, not too square. Plus the embossed Carpet logo was a nice surprise.

First 97As I'm riding. Really like these, may keep riding them from here on out. I haven't taken them to the rough streets because of all the snow, just skated parks, but they're not too slick and have some grip, which I prefer. Parks here are dusty, which can in turn be slippery, so it's good to have a little grip. I find them as fast as harder durometer wheels personally, but for example when I tried to do reverts on flat there's definitely some friction. I'll be able to give a better review later once I start skating the streets.

Venture V-light Hi

First time skating Ventures in almost twenty years. Not bad at all so far. When the snow melts and I can really get moving then I'll have a better analysis when I post a new setup. They grind well on transition, light without being overly light (but I don't find Tensor Mag Lights too light either). I'm not too stiff on them, they turn well, but I have Riptide cups in them and I still found them a bit clunky for the first session. I got comfortable with them quickly, though.

Bones 1/8 risers

I'm purposefully trying to make my setup higher than ever to see if there's a noticeable difference in pop, comfort on tranny, etc. So far it hasn't been problematic but my pop isn't different either. Again though, could just be because my body's adjusting to skating on a regular basis as winter starts to end. I may take the risers out to see if that makes my board more comfortable.

First time I'm using Riptides and they're not cheap with me being in Canada. I bought them b/c of the Venture turning stigma. First impressions are that these cups definitely don't squeak at all, and yeah turning is pretty smooth. I should still loosen the trucks a little bit, though. I also should've tried just turning and getting my Daniel Gesmer on.

Bones Swiss / Jessup

Sick setup. Thinking about the v lights after I hit the Axel on my current ventures.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #27309 on: February 28, 2021, 09:29:19 AM »

Venture V-light Hi

Bones 1/8 risers

Bones Swiss / Jessup

You forgot to review the bolts.  >:(

Just kidding, great review. I have been riding with risers so far (not sure why, my wheels are around 50mm) but will not use them on my next set up and am curious if it will affect my pop.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #27310 on: February 28, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »

Just kidding, great review. I have been riding with risers so far (not sure why, my wheels are around 50mm) but will not use them on my next set up and am curious if it will affect my pop.

Your post reminds me, I haven't gotten wheelbite so far (according to the graphic under my wheels) and I haven't noticed if I did. So that's another plus

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #27311 on: February 28, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/rHaK4A0.jpg

*blank decks.com blank 8X31.6 14” wb
*venture v light 5.2 high with super soft white Indy bushings.
*spitfire big head 53mm
*bones reds
*pig 7/8” Allen bolts

those prices are right in line with the brand blanks I've been riding. how's the deck hold up to your skating and how often do you ride

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27312 on: February 28, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »
I like it so far. I’ve skated it all of 3 times. Last time I skated it, I rolled my ankle really bad. so I’ll probably not be skating for at least 3 months. but I was skating about 4 times a week.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #27313 on: February 28, 2021, 07:48:40 PM »

deck - Magenta 8.8/15.0/31.5
trucks - Tracker 184mm darts (thunder 100a bushings, no kingpin washers)
wheels - Spitfire f4 99a 55mm
hardware - enjoi 7/8 bolts, bones reds bearings, magenta grip

Flips slow on anything treflip motioned (inc. laserflips), I don't do those tricks anyway.
Really smooth flick on everything else, was quite surprised. Just rolled my ankle on this; but I'll get used to it when I'm back on the board in a week. The novelty hasn't worn off yet and am considering the setup proportions as my permanent choice.

ballintoohard

« Reply #27314 on: February 28, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote

Venture V-light Hi

Bones 1/8 risers

Bones Swiss / Jessup

[close]

Unfortunately the logo isn’t embossed it’s a foil sticker. Mine came off the first time I boardslid a ledge.

Love this shape. I have an 8 and 8.125 in the closet and have pondered getting another 8.25. I think it’s identical to Pass~Port and Isle shapes but not sure if anyone can recommend a similar shape that would be awesome

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #27315 on: February 28, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »

Flips slow on anything treflip motioned (inc. laserflips), I don't do those tricks anyway.
Really smooth flick on everything else, was quite surprised. Just rolled my ankle on this; but I'll get used to it when I'm back on the board in a week. The novelty hasn't worn off yet and am considering the setup proportions as my permanent choice.

Dang, that is a very interesting set up. The deck dimensions with the short length but long wb I haven’t seen much on egg or popsicles. Curious how that feels.

Also curious about the Trackers. What’s the turn like on those?

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #27316 on: February 28, 2021, 10:09:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dang, that is a very interesting set up. The deck dimensions with the short length but long wb I haven’t seen much on egg or popsicles. Curious how that feels.

They actually turn exactly like Indy stage 11s, very deep carve and smooth too.

The feel on the board to truck ratio makes the trucks feel tighter than usual (I run my trucks rattling loose like your slap signature) as it is proportioned like a hot rod, I haven't tested this on grinds at all yet and just purely flat ground so the truck pinching is fairly unknown. The flick is impeccable though and when you pop, the board ends up in a higher incline and popping tricks feel bigger too. The effort margin doesn't seem that much to be honest.

This whole thing actually started when I couldn't be bothered buying size 8.5 trucks again and wanted to skate a popsicle. So I got the widest board I could find in that shape and ended up with this.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #27317 on: February 28, 2021, 10:11:24 PM »
I like it so far. I’ve skated it all of 3 times. Last time I skated it, I rolled my ankle really bad. so I’ll probably not be skating for at least 3 months. but I was skating about 4 times a week.

fuck dude that sucks. heal up. I'm gonna check these out once I get through some of my blank stash

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #27318 on: March 01, 2021, 04:29:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They actually turn exactly like Indy stage 11s, very deep carve and smooth too.

The feel on the board to truck ratio makes the trucks feel tighter than usual (I run my trucks rattling loose like your slap signature) as it is proportioned like a hot rod, I haven't tested this on grinds at all yet and just purely flat ground so the truck pinching is fairly unknown. The flick is impeccable though and when you pop, the board ends up in a higher incline and popping tricks feel bigger too. The effort margin doesn't seem that much to be honest.

This whole thing actually started when I couldn't be bothered buying size 8.5 trucks again and wanted to skate a popsicle. So I got the widest board I could find in that shape and ended up with this.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Going through some truck madness at the moment and the Tracker darts had me curious haha

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #27319 on: March 01, 2021, 05:42:07 AM »
I just set up this Blockhead Streetstyle as a slappy / cruiser.  Pretty crazy to ride, as theres no weight in the nose and the tails kinda long, its super light to get the wheels up.  It's super light in general, as it's kinda small.  These were originally made in 1986 and were one of the first boards to have a 'long nose'.  Kinda looks like a bart simpson / comic book version of a skateboard, and I love it.  Shits flat as a tack, so it's a trick staying on with slappies, but it kinda makes it more fun.

Spitfire F4 97a Classics, 56mm - Love em! Been looking for a wheel that feels like a hard wheel thats a touch more forgiving
Indy Stage 10 149s - been a while since i've ridden anything but 169 Indys and while these turn a bit slower, which might be a stage 10 thing, but anyway, theyre good.  It's nice to have a new truck to grind.  Had these sitting around for 10 years, good to use em. 

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #27320 on: March 01, 2021, 05:55:16 AM »
I had a couple of those back in the day! They were one of the first boards to come out with a longer nose.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #27321 on: March 01, 2021, 07:06:04 AM »
I had a couple of those back in the day! They were one of the first boards to come out with a longer nose.

Yeah, it was its place in history that made me keen on getting one.  I love riding boards that defined a time or a change.  I'm super keen to get a Barnyard Vallely as that was a huge change for skating.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #27322 on: March 01, 2021, 07:10:13 AM »
I just set up this Blockhead Streetstyle as a slappy / cruiser.  Pretty crazy to ride, as theres no weight in the nose and the tails kinda long, its super light to get the wheels up.  It's super light in general, as it's kinda small.  These were originally made in 1986 and were one of the first boards to have a 'long nose'.  Kinda looks like a bart simpson / comic book version of a skateboard, and I love it.  Shits flat as a tack, so it's a trick staying on with slappies, but it kinda makes it more fun.

Spitfire F4 97a Classics, 56mm - Love em! Been looking for a wheel that feels like a hard wheel thats a touch more forgiving
Indy Stage 10 149s - been a while since i've ridden anything but 169 Indys and while these turn a bit slower, which might be a stage 10 thing, but anyway, theyre good.  It's nice to have a new truck to grind.  Had these sitting around for 10 years, good to use em. 

omg this looks so good
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #27323 on: March 01, 2021, 07:23:16 AM »
New deck today. Real Mason Silva 8.28"x31.7"w/14.12wb. Not sure if I like it yet. I guess I prefer 32" length and 14.25WB

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #27324 on: March 01, 2021, 07:54:26 AM »

Got a shipment of decks Sunday evening. After a beautiful mid 70s weekend, There's nothing but rain for few days, so now I just get to look at this board. Boards will go on sale this weekend at losersatl.com.

Losers 8.25 (woodchuck wood L: 31.875 WB: 14.25 medium concave)
Thunder standard 148s
Darkroom 99a 52mm
Bones swiss
Shortys 7/8
Black diamond griptape

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #27325 on: March 01, 2021, 07:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck dude that sucks. heal up. I'm gonna check these out once I get through some of my blank stash

yea, it’s been a week since I’ve rolled it. but my ankle seems to be healing pretty fast. thank you for the kind words.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #27326 on: March 01, 2021, 08:07:35 AM »

Got a shipment of decks Sunday evening. After a beautiful mid 70s weekend, There's nothing but rain for few days, so now I just get to look at this board. Boards will go on sale this weekend at losersatl.com.

Thunder standard 148s
Darkroom 99a 52mm
Bones swiss
Shortys 7/8
Black diamond griptape

Looking sick, liking the new graphics!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #27327 on: March 01, 2021, 03:14:42 PM »

Thunder standard 148s
Darkroom 99a 52mm
Bones swiss
Shortys 7/8
Black diamond griptape

I saw one of your stickers at the foundation DIY in Asheville and got excited at the slap/real-world overlap.

Also, colored wheels and this graphic are tasteful.

Niceblackman

• Rep: 2
« Reply #27328 on: March 01, 2021, 05:52:04 PM »

Thunder standard 148s
Darkroom 99a 52mm
Bones swiss
Shortys 7/8
Black diamond griptape

I’ve been skating one from your first run of Losers decks lately.  Feels real good with the ventures. Def going to get one of these too!

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #27329 on: March 01, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
I saw one of your stickers at the foundation DIY in Asheville and got excited at the slap/real-world overlap.

Also, colored wheels and this graphic are tasteful.

It’s funny cause my girlfriend was just telling me about how here family doesn’t get my “sticker thing”

@Niceblackman glad to here people are enjoying them. I got a lot of love from slap on the first drop. Slap bought more boards than locals.