Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4785876 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #31980 on: September 15, 2022, 12:12:47 AM »
Expand Quote
first new deck in about a year. was in a shit toxic relationship and could barely function in every day life let alone do anything i like. finally in my own spot and getting on my feet again

Venue shop deck 9"
ACE 66
spitfire lockin 55mm
bones big balls
jessup
shortys phillips
bones medium bushings with top cup but no bottom
Trucks are still relatively new as i got them right before everything went south about this time last year
[close]

Similar story for me. Welcome back and keep the momentum going. Once you get back into the groove of things, it becomes a little easier imo.
Kudos for both of you guys.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #31981 on: September 15, 2022, 04:08:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mini Beach Bum
Ace AF1 22
Super Juices
Swiss 6 super dry with no shields
Pig anodized hardware
Pepper Galaxy Grip
[close]

oh man you really cam through with this.......gripjob is A+......and that mini beach bum looks sooooo fun.

on another topic- i just got me ace af1 22s for my zip zinger adn some 78a Ricta clouds that i can not wait to try out.

22s seem to fit great on that mini bum!

Any euro plas got a lead to where to get a mini beach bum ? i might need that one after seeing it here so much lately
[close]

Dude the 22's are kinda insane. Hella turny to start with plus they're really narrow and this thing has like a 13.25 wb. Whatever you put them on they'll be a blast to just ride with a shit eating grin

Hahaaaa thanks to @moonordie i just ordered it since it was on sale for like 65€.....so basically i ordered my ace 22s for my zinger but i might have to try them out on the beach bum- tbh can't wait for it after your little review up there!

round here everybody has those big ass cruiser boards with some fucking longboard wheels on or some 60mm wheels but i really dig a light/ smaller cruiser more personally. When you can just bring it and it is not a heavy fucking thing of a board to carry around!

So big thanks to you guys!  :-*

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #31982 on: September 15, 2022, 04:18:18 AM »
first new deck in about a year. was in a shit toxic relationship and could barely function in every day life let alone do anything i like. finally in my own spot and getting on my feet again

Venue shop deck 9"
ACE 66
spitfire lockin 55mm
bones big balls
jessup
shortys phillips
Trucks are still relatively new as i got them right before everything went south about this time last year

Shit, man!

Sorry to hear that but glad you got out of it and are back on board! Hope it helps take your mind of things too.

Plus the setup is looking fire!

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #31983 on: September 15, 2022, 06:21:35 AM »
Expand Quote

Tom K/Snake Plissken WKND 8.25
52mm F4 OG Classics
Thunder Titanium 148’s
Bones Swiss Ceramics
[close]

Is homie a Metal Gear Fan??

I'm a huge metal gear fanboy, hence my name haha. I saw this board and thought the same... I do know metal gear's solid snake was inspired by Pliskin or whoever from Escape from New York. I think Tom K also mentioned he watches movies or shows to find skate spots.. I remember hearing that and I'm pretty sure it was him.

Not a Tom K fan, but may have to cop that deck because nerd reasons.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

Shagohod

• la li lu le lo
« Reply #31984 on: September 15, 2022, 06:24:28 AM »
Hello. I’m new here. I’m a 35 year old mid-life crisis dad-boomer. It’s been about 20 years and 100 pounds since I last skated.
My daughter got a lil board for her birthday and then I found a shop complete with an Indy upgrade at the thrift store. It had a lot of issues, one being it was way small and bendy. But I’ve gone and done my first real complete in as many years.
I’m gonna break something in 3-2-1…

Old one is:
Shop deck 8”
Shop wheels
Shop grip
Spit cheapshots
Indy Leo Romero Hollow Low

New one is:
Creature 8.6” Russell VX Horseman
Spitfire F4 Oski Radial 57mm
Indy 159 Hawk
Bronson G2
Mob grip

Super proud of my grip job. First try.
Will report back in when I fall.

I'm around your age as well, and its getting harder and harder to find board time and energy especially with a job... and I say that without having any kids. Welcome back to the board bro
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #31985 on: September 15, 2022, 06:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote

Venue shop deck 9"
ACE 66
spitfire lockin 55mm
bones big balls
jessup
shortys phillips
[close]

Shit, man!

Sorry to hear that but glad you got out of it and are back on board! Hope it helps take your mind of things too.

Plus the setup is looking fire!

Man, I really just want to say thanks to everyone for the welcome backs and encouragement, the slap community can be pretty awesome

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #31986 on: September 15, 2022, 06:46:24 AM »

Venue shop deck 9"
ACE 66
spitfire lockin 55mm
bones big balls
jessup
shortys phillips

Man, that relationship sounds horrible. I get that a partner wants to spend time with you, but if it's like that, it's better to leave for your own well being.

I am usually not a fan of pink tops but that looks awesome here. I like that minimal side stripe a lot. Is that heel or toe side for you?

Anyway, welcome back and enjoy your setup. :)
IG: @flowterspace

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #31987 on: September 15, 2022, 07:40:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello. I’m new here. I’m a 35 year old mid-life crisis dad-boomer. It’s been about 20 years and 100 pounds since I last skated.
My daughter got a lil board for her birthday and then I found a shop complete with an Indy upgrade at the thrift store. It had a lot of issues, one being it was way small and bendy. But I’ve gone and done my first real complete in as many years.
I’m gonna break something in 3-2-1…

Old one is:
Shop deck 8”
Shop wheels
Shop grip
Spit cheapshots
Indy Leo Romero Hollow Low

New one is:
Creature 8.6” Russell VX Horseman
Spitfire F4 Oski Radial 57mm
Indy 159 Hawk
Bronson G2
Mob grip

Super proud of my grip job. First try.
Will report back in when I fall.
[close]

I'm around your age as well, and its getting harder and harder to find board time and energy especially with a job... and I say that without having any kids. Welcome back to the board bro

Thanks man! I’ve been super enjoying just learning to just push around, not mongo. Practice ollies and fs and bs kickturns.
Yeah, two kids and a full time teaching job leaves little time for actual skateboarding or guitar playing or whatever.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #31988 on: September 15, 2022, 07:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote

Venue shop deck 9"
ACE 66
spitfire lockin 55mm
bones big balls
jessup
shortys phillips
[close]

Man, that relationship sounds horrible. I get that a partner wants to spend time with you, but if it's like that, it's better to leave for your own well being.

I am usually not a fan of pink tops but that looks awesome here. I like that minimal side stripe a lot. Is that heel or toe side for you?

Anyway, welcome back and enjoy your setup. :)
thanks man, I'm not crazy about the pink stain either but that was the only 9. so I did that strip because, for me at least, it can be difficult to get a 9 properly lined up with grip...i feel like sheets of grip might have gotten a little more narrower? i just took the strips from my heel side and made that little line on the toe side.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #31989 on: September 15, 2022, 09:52:27 AM »
8.5 14.25WB Jessup Ultra
1" Ace phillips hardware
1/8" Shorty's Dooks plastic risers
Ace AF1 44 hangers on Stage 7 baseplates, inverted kingpins
OJ 60mm 95a Combos
Bones Super Swiss Six Balls

(imgur sucks, using "imgbb" now, gotta click on the image and it will expand in new tab)

EagleassMF

• Rep: 10
« Reply #31990 on: September 15, 2022, 10:35:58 AM »

Anti-Hero 8.25
Indy Titanium 149
53mm F4 Conicals
Quantum Isotopes
Pepper Grip

Got influenced by the dlx 8.25 proselytizers in these threads after a short stint with PS Stix (never again). I haven’t had a wheelbase over 14.25 in years, if ever.

It was one of the best sessions I’ve had in months. It somehow feels more stable but also more nimble for flips than the shorter dlx 8.5.

I’ll probably go back to F4 classics, but this might be the deck that calms the madness for a while.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 10:48:12 AM by EagleassMF »

TerrorizedCivilian

• Rep: 16
« Reply #31991 on: September 15, 2022, 10:45:30 AM »

Snapped my Weaknd so had to replace with this

Skatedeluxe 8.25
Ace 44 classic (removed bottom washer)
55 conical full
G2s
Combi hardware

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #31992 on: September 15, 2022, 12:07:08 PM »

Quit trying to force myself to be a venture rider and went back to my roots. Indys and bigger wheels.

Antihero 8.5
Indy 149 hollow standard
Spitfire f4 tablets 55mm
Don’t even remember the bearings or bolts.
Jessup?

Feels good and pop is much better than it’s been recently
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:20:10 PM by hobochimp »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31993 on: September 15, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »
I had that exact eagle and it was great. One of those decks where I learned or re-learned a lot of stuff and just all the sessions were fun.

But to the poster talking about the DLX 8.25 above that deck is hard to hate. It doesn't index super high in any specific category, but it does everything really really well.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #31994 on: September 15, 2022, 01:13:49 PM »
Decided to spoil myself for my birthday this year and ended up with basically a Christmas complete.

Polar 9.0
Indy 169 Ti Hanger/Standard hollow baseplate/92 blue top+94 black bottom bushing combo.
Powell Dragons 56mm
Bones Big Balls
Mob grip
Shorty's 1 1/8" Allen Hardware
Bones 1/8th risers
New Deal Rails

After 1 session I'm really happy with the set up. 3rd Polar 9.0 in a row for me and its now my go to shape. The Dragons are very nice so far, overall improvement over the sample set I've been on the last ~2 months.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31995 on: September 15, 2022, 01:39:57 PM »
Decided to spoil myself for my birthday this year and ended up with basically a Christmas complete.

Polar 9.0
Indy 169 Ti Hanger/Standard hollow baseplate/92 blue top+94 black bottom bushing combo.
Powell Dragons 56mm
Bones Big Balls
Mob grip
Bones 1/8th risers
New Deal Rails

After 1 session I'm really happy with the set up. 3rd Polar 9.0 in a row for me and its now my go to shape. The Dragons are very nice so far, overall improvement over the sample set I've been on the last ~2 months.

That setup looks hella cool.

Have you tried the bushing combo 94 top and 92 bottom? That will give your trucks an even more stable and surfier feel and they will return back to center a bit easier.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #31996 on: September 15, 2022, 02:11:37 PM »
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0
Powell Dragons 56mm
Bones Big Balls
Mob grip
Bones 1/8th risers
New Deal Rails

[close]

Have you tried the bushing combo 94 top and 92 bottom? That will give your trucks an even more stable and surfier feel and they will return back to center a bit easier.

Thanks, it's a fun one. I'll have to give it a try if this combo doesn't work out for me. I usually ride my trucks a little tighter but the softer top gives me a little extra give when comes to carving and my wheelbite isn't as bad as the last combo I had in. Also, forget to note that I've got a conical bottom, are you recommending a 92 barrel or conical for your combo?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31997 on: September 15, 2022, 02:44:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0
Powell Dragons 56mm
Bones Big Balls
Mob grip
Bones 1/8th risers
New Deal Rails

[close]

[close]

Thanks, it's a fun one. I'll have to give it a try if this combo doesn't work out for me. I usually ride my trucks a little tighter but the softer top gives me a little extra give when comes to carving and my wheelbite isn't as bad as the last combo I had in. Also, forget to note that I've got a conical bottom, are you recommending a 92 barrel or conical for your combo?

I personally only ride 92 barrel bushings but a conical bushing will give you more turn.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #31998 on: September 16, 2022, 06:54:01 AM »

Isle (RIP) Mike Arnold 8.25
Jessup Grip
Thunder Hollow Lights 148
Spitfire Radial Slims 54mm
Bones Red
Thunder Hardware 7/8"
Lakai Trudgers

Loving this set up. 360 flips are starting to click again.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #31999 on: September 16, 2022, 07:57:17 PM »
New Whip

Birdhouse 8.25
Tensor 5.5 mag ATG
Spitfire 53mm 99a F4 Classic
Bones swiss bearings
WKND 7/8 phillips hardware
Mob x Thrasher Grip

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #32000 on: September 17, 2022, 07:14:11 AM »

Polar pontus alv self portrait 8.25
Indy 149
Spitfire 52mm f4 classics

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #32001 on: September 17, 2022, 08:13:27 AM »
facebook photos upload

Love this shape. First one in a while, good to be back.

Polar p2
Independent 149 Forged Hollow w/ 96du Aftermarket bushings
Spitfire F4 54mm Conical Full
Big Balls
Pepper Grip
Bronze Hardware
Converse Cons Fastbreaks
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

knee surgery

• Rep: 12
« Reply #32002 on: September 17, 2022, 02:23:03 PM »

Deathwish 8.38
159 hollow standards
58mm conical full f4 99a

Coming from a Dane 1 feels like a toothpick, but so far so good.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #32003 on: September 18, 2022, 07:45:13 AM »

Back to the trusty Evisen 8.5
Thunder 149s, w/krux dlk
Spitfire F4 99a Conical 52mm
Quantum Isotopes
Jessup Grip.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 12:22:20 PM by Gene_Harrogate »

Get hungry on it!

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #32004 on: September 18, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »

My niece wants to start skating.

Evan Smith Uma Landsleds 8.5
Bones Reds
Shorts Lights 7/8ths hardware
Preproduction Skate One wheels 52mm 93a
Jessup
Krux Trucks but if she behaves she'll get trucks that turn.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #32005 on: September 18, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »

Forgot to take a picture before I started the process of destroying this fine deck…

Quasi egg
Maglight 8.50”
55 mm F4 Classics
Swiss
Not Mob? (Had to throw a piece of generic grip on there cause I messed up my Mob cutting it with a dull razor blade. Tragic.)

I put some Riptides and flat top washers on the Tensors and they are more surfy.  I also think they ended up just looser in general.

Shagohod

• la li lu le lo
« Reply #32006 on: September 19, 2022, 09:42:21 AM »

Forgot to take a picture before I started the process of destroying this fine deck…

Quasi egg
Maglight 8.50”
55 mm F4 Classics
Swiss
Not Mob? (Had to throw a piece of generic grip on there cause I messed up my Mob cutting it with a dull razor blade. Tragic.)

I put some Riptides and flat top washers on the Tensors and they are more surfy.  I also think they ended up just looser in general.

Two sets of Tensor mags in the last few setups... my madness has been so curious about these for some time now. As a heavier skater, I've heard all sorts of mixed reviews about how these do.

May have to bite the bullet and see for myself.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #32007 on: September 19, 2022, 09:48:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Quasi egg
Maglight 8.50”
55 mm F4 Classics
Swiss

[close]

Two sets of Tensor mags in the last few setups... my madness has been so curious about these for some time now. As a heavier skater, I've heard all sorts of mixed reviews about how these do.

May have to bite the bullet and see for myself.

There are 3 sets of Tensor ATGs in my previous setup pic. They're the hangers in the box (top left) and they all have bent axles. They skate like a dream, but yeah. Good luck!  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32008 on: September 19, 2022, 09:59:53 AM »

Deathwish 8.38
159 hollow standards
58mm conical full f4 99a

Coming from a Dane 1 feels like a toothpick, but so far so good.

bonito bólido. 159's are the shit!  :-*

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32009 on: September 19, 2022, 10:08:42 AM »
Mid 30's crisis set-up (let's go back to what used to work around early 00's)

Magenta 8-31.5-14wb (they had some other better looking graphics with the same shape but this time really wanted to give some love to Özdogan)
AF1 44
LoopHole 52mm (teardrop shape)
Jessup
Random hardware-mixed bearings

Club-C's