Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69604 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #720 on: August 23, 2021, 07:11:24 AM »
Expand Quote
@PuffinMuffin  no, I get what you’re saying; when I first installed them I just used the regular washer but then the Allen key head was sticking up too much so I went with the Krux ones. Didn’t notice too much instability, but you can’t crank them down super tight I don’t think, I ride medium loose but I couldn’t tighten them anymore if that makes sense? Generally I just like to ride trucks stock because I hate fussing around (and getting truck madness). I’m heading out for a roll tomorrow morning so I’ll see how they go….
[close]
@PuffinMuffin  took the Chico out yesterday with the film trucks on it and the new crux kingpins. I actually like how it performs ttytt. My guess is that the top washer for whatever bushing you were using didn't match up well. For the film bushing it's nice fit and isn't pressing down on any random points causing the trucks to tilt/ wheelbite. I'm pretty stoked on them actually but could see how it might be a problem if the washer and bushing don't interlock well...

Dude, I think you solved it! I was using Doh-Doh's bushings which have less top diameter compared to Krux bushings. The Doh-Doh's also have a round edge at the top. Therefore the only significant contact between the Krux DL washer and the bushing would be at the center of the bushing. The outer edges are just rubbing. Thanks for posting back.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #721 on: August 24, 2021, 03:27:48 AM »
I have a friend who's really good who got hooked on the evo 2 years ago. He's been searching everywhere and has like 6 pairs on ice.
They're good trucks.

Strange, a local ripper swears by them too. Was riding these same Fury trucks and some horrible wheels, only just realized the wonders of Formula 4.

Not my first choice of truck but they have their fans.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

I Can't Think

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #722 on: August 25, 2021, 06:39:02 AM »
Got to skate the theeves, great trucks so far. They turn great, feel great grinding, literally zero complaints. I think I like how tensors turn better, but that's also likely because that's what I've gotten used to. I REALLY prefer the pulled in WB for tres and other flip tricks compared to the tensors, so much so that I'm willing to take the VERY small hit in turning (which might go away once they bushings break in anyways). If I'm correct, they pull in the WB more than an indy, but not as much as an ace? They turn solid and the consensus seems to be that they turn better than indy from what I've read on here as well? If that's the case, they're my dream truck. I wish I still had my indys from years ago to properly compare lol

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #723 on: August 25, 2021, 07:22:25 AM »
In case anyone has Krux Downlow Kingpins and also experienced instability caused by the top washer/bushing not contacting each other, I found a solution.

Take 2 pedal washers and fit them on top of the recessed area of your Krux top washers:

Grab a 9/16th socket:

Fit them in a vice so everything is centered:

Tighten as much as you can until the washers are pressed into the bushing cup. You may need a cheater bar. The result should look like:

Final result:

It only adds 1-2mm of height, and now your bushings will fully contact your top washer. Wear indicates where the bushing and washer contact, this bushing was run with the standard top washer: The Krux design is really shitty with some bushings. This fixes it.
nice hack!!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #724 on: August 25, 2021, 07:31:58 AM »
Got to skate the theeves, great trucks so far. They turn great, feel great grinding, literally zero complaints. I think I like how tensors turn better, but that's also likely because that's what I've gotten used to. I REALLY prefer the pulled in WB for tres and other flip tricks compared to the tensors, so much so that I'm willing to take the VERY small hit in turning (which might go away once they bushings break in anyways). If I'm correct, they pull in the WB more than an indy, but not as much as an ace? They turn solid and the consensus seems to be that they turn better than indy from what I've read on here as well? If that's the case, they're my dream truck. I wish I still had my indys from years ago to properly compare lol
What is the height on Theeves? Thinking of getting them since axle on my Aces is starting to bend

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 56
« Reply #725 on: August 25, 2021, 08:23:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My films just started clicking after a year? Guessing the pivot cups is dead, what’s a good pivot cup to put in them?
[close]
Check your kingpins, one of my Films started clicking after about a year and the kingpin was moving in the baseplate. I presume this was from it getting caught on ledges. I knocked them out and replaced them with the inverted ones.
[close]
cheers, will pull them apart and see what I can find! Either way, what pivot cups and what kingpins fit them? I’m pretty sure they don’t sell aftermarket stuff, at least not in Japan…

At least Indy Riptides were a perfect fit.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #726 on: August 25, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What is the height on Theeves? Thinking of getting them since axle on my Aces is starting to bend

55mm so they say, I've never measured but I believe they're actually lower/mids.

I Can't Think

« Reply #727 on: August 25, 2021, 05:31:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

55mm so they say, I've never measured but I believe they're actually lower/mids.

Yeah everything online says 55mm, if I remember correctly someone else has already done extensive measurements on all the various truck brands to confirm this? I could try at some point when I move to another deck lol

Edit: https://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2010/03/theeve-trucks.html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit

Here are some details on height

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #728 on: August 27, 2021, 05:45:57 AM »
Yesterday was the first time since an injury healed healed, and I could pop my board again.

Fucking bent a Krux Downlow kingpin 30 mins into a session on a foot high ledge. I’m a 140 pound woman for reference. All that tinkering to get them to equally displace pressure on the bushings and it bends, so fucking fast.  >:( Probably best to just use Krepers.

I feel like I remember Xen saying he snapped one?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #729 on: August 27, 2021, 06:50:26 AM »
Yesterday was the first time since an injury healed healed, and I could pop my board again.

Fucking bent a Krux Downlow kingpin 30 mins into a session on a foot high ledge. I’m a 140 pound woman for reference. All that tinkering to get them to equally displace pressure on the bushings and it bends, so fucking fast.  >:( Probably best to just use Krepers.

That sucks. Just my take but the Kreper is a superior pin for sure...threaded twice as long, sturdier, and the built in top washer feels really nice.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #730 on: August 27, 2021, 07:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That sucks. Just my take but the Kreper is a superior pin for sure...threaded twice as long, sturdier, and the built in top washer feels really nice.

Totally agreed. I forgot to mention I found what the top washer is. It's a "finishing washer", and they can be bought in bulk for really cheap: https://www.mcmaster.com/98466a029/

It's the exact same measurements as the Krux one. It's literally cheap spare parts lol.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #731 on: August 27, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »

Surely something is putting pressure on the KP wrong. I'd bet the same thing happens to the Krepers eventually if you leave everything else the same. I suppose if it's the way the top washer interacts with the bushing then maybe you'll have better luck, but my pea brain makes me think it's more likely the bottom bushing size that's the issue.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #732 on: August 27, 2021, 09:44:48 AM »

Not it.

That sucks you bent one first day back =( new or old stock?

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #733 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Not it.

That sucks you bent one first day back =( new or old stock?
[close]

Opps, perhaps it was someone else. It was the old Krux hollow inverted kingpins, not the new DLK K5 ones. The new DLK K5 ones look solid.

On lunch break I stopped by Summit Racing and bought two titanium button bolts in standard kingpin dimensions. Speedway Motors makes them. They're light as heck (18g) and are rated to be stronger than grade 8 steel (which assuming Kreper uses?), so hopefully they won't bend. Kinda cool how the head of the bolt is flush with the top of the bushing.

Edit: found where they sell them online https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

The Allen key needed is 3/16th.

Nice, yeah I tried these in my Ace's and they had a lot of play back and forth probably because the baseplate hole widened from their soft metal so they've been collecting dust. Does the bottom of the baseplate hold the kingpin nut or did you have to use the epoxy?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #734 on: August 27, 2021, 12:53:50 PM »
For anyone skating Films out there - do they slide nose/tailslides on the baseplate like Venture/Ace or is it more of a Thunder on-the-wheels slide?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #735 on: August 27, 2021, 02:01:26 PM »
For anyone skating Films out there - do they slide nose/tailslides on the baseplate like Venture/Ace or is it more of a Thunder on-the-wheels slide?
They have the Indy/Venture/Ace kind, Thunder are pretty alone with that one.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #736 on: August 27, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Word thanks.  They’re the last brand out there that I’m interested in trying.  Going to pull the trigger and see how it goes.  I keep coming back to Ace classics but who knows, hopefully Films will be a pleasant surprise.

I Can't Think

« Reply #737 on: August 28, 2021, 05:58:32 AM »
I'm loving these theeves. I don't wanna call it yet since I've only skated them for a week but so far everything has been great. I love how they grind, the turn is fun and surfy, baseplate touches instead of wheels so you can slide longer, kingpin clearance isn't an issue etc. I REALLY like the feel of these for crooks, I find trucks that have a more round hanger (indy, ace, theeve, etc) sit better on crooks compared to trucks with a flatter hanger (venture, thunder, tensor etc), entirely personal preference tho

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #738 on: August 28, 2021, 07:33:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Word thanks.  They’re the last brand out there that I’m interested in trying.  Going to pull the trigger and see how it goes.  I keep coming back to Ace classics but who knows, hopefully Films will be a pleasant surprise.
Loved mine so much, nothing bad to say about them. Turn isn't as sharp as Indy or Ace but sharp enough to carve easily. Grind felt also really good and learned bunch of new tricks on them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #739 on: August 28, 2021, 08:28:22 AM »
I'm loving these theeves. I don't wanna call it yet since I've only skated them for a week but so far everything has been great. I love how they grind, the turn is fun and surfy, baseplate touches instead of wheels so you can slide longer, kingpin clearance isn't an issue etc. I REALLY like the feel of these for crooks, I find trucks that have a more round hanger (indy, ace, theeve, etc) sit better on crooks compared to trucks with a flatter hanger (venture, thunder, tensor etc), entirely personal preference tho

Theeve are criminally underrated; a more responsive Indy with better stability. Theeves new stock bushings are hard af though.

The V1/V2 TiKings were so good (I never had the bushing bulge); Ace hanger design, super light…the Ti kingpin was insanely light!

I Can't Think

« Reply #740 on: August 28, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Theeve are criminally underrated; a more responsive Indy with better stability. Theeves new stock bushings are hard af though.

The V1/V2 TiKings were so good (I never had the bushing bulge); Ace hanger design, super light…the Ti kingpin was insanely light!

Ahhh that sounds so nice. I had the V1 CSXs ages ago but unfortunately the bushings blew on me. If only there was a V4 that kept those past design aspects with the kinks ironed out

RichardAsh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #741 on: August 30, 2021, 04:15:23 AM »
These Caliber are the best trucks I have ever used.
I use a longboard as my main commute in San Francisco and the response these give are like no other trucks out there.
You can maintain your trucks by greasing the parts that need it. That way, you get to ensure quality rides from your skateboard.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #742 on: August 30, 2021, 09:34:51 AM »
Expand Quote
I just picked up a set of polster titanium trucks. They're an exact copy of thunder trucks, every single measurement is the same as my thunders, but they cost half as much. I don't get how they manage to do that and also how they are allowed to do it. Great german quality too. Do they exist outside of europe?
[close]

No, but post up a pic, would love to have a look!

China counterfeiters have started making fake Venture and Thunder trucks btw.

I somehow didn't see this. They are 8.5 trucks and only weigh 304 grams, even lighter than thunder titaniums.
The only hanger difference to thunders is this weird line, but it's really just a random line. The bushings seem a tiny bit too hard for me (93a). Kingpin might be a bit longer than thunder. They feel great with indy conical 88a bushings, the turn feels exactly like thunder.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: August 30, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just picked up a set of polster titanium trucks. They're an exact copy of thunder trucks, every single measurement is the same as my thunders, but they cost half as much. I don't get how they manage to do that and also how they are allowed to do it. Great german quality too. Do they exist outside of europe?
[close]

[close]

I somehow didn't see this. They are 8.5 trucks and only weigh 304 grams, even lighter than thunder titaniums.
The only hanger difference to thunders is this weird line, but it's really just a random line. The bushings seem a tiny bit too hard for me (93a). Kingpin might be a bit longer than thunder. They feel great with indy conical 88a bushings, the turn feels exactly like thunder.

Researched them for a bit, multiple sites say they're 50mm high. Is that true? Thunder only has 55mm now in a 8.5 axel. They're lighter than my ATG maglights with an alloy baseplate. Haven't found a seller who'll ship them to US. They look really nice!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #744 on: August 30, 2021, 10:48:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Researched them for a bit, multiple sites say they're 50mm high. Is that true? Thunder only has 55mm now in a 8.5 axel. They're lighter than my ATG maglights with an alloy baseplate. Haven't found a seller who'll ship them to US. They look really nice!

Skatedeluxe also says that only the 8.5 ones are 50mm for some reason, but mine are definitely 52mm.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1070
« Reply #745 on: August 31, 2021, 04:37:40 PM »

Tensor ATG mag redesign.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #746 on: August 31, 2021, 07:40:03 PM »

Tensor ATG mag redesign.

A Mid would be awesome!

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #747 on: August 31, 2021, 08:16:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Loved mine so much, nothing bad to say about them. Turn isn't as sharp as Indy or Ace but sharp enough to carve easily. Grind felt also really good and learned bunch of new tricks on them.

Update on my (brief) experience with the Film trucks.  I got a chance to skate them for like 45 mins before work today.  I wasn’t really feeling them as I was setting them up (the ones I got have red clear bushings and a red pivot cup) but I ended up really liking them.  I apparently purchased the hollow raws (I don’t know the full scope of styles that they offer).  They were noticeably lighter than my Ace 44 classics.  I haven’t skated light trucks since sometime last year and the pop felt excellent.  I have a heavier, slick deck now so maybe it was the heavy deck, comparatively light trucks, with bulky wide wheels combination but my tricks felt very snappy.  Also the metal on the hanger feels soft and buttery for grinds much like Ace classics which I like.  I don’t like to tighten my trucks and it seems like the break-in is similar to Venture/Thunder where they’re somewhat unskateably loose at first and tighten up over time.  By the end of the session they felt more stable.  Going to stick with them for now and see if this new truck romance continues. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #748 on: September 06, 2021, 05:34:53 PM »
Back on Tensor Mag ATGang...the wheelbite with Thunders was just too much and I'm too sketchy.

So I threw in the 87a riptide bushings I was running in them, no bottom washer (honesty it's not needed given the shape of the plate as the bushing sits on it perfectly) and without it, I'm able to get the bones washer on top and a flush nut netting a really fast and stable turn out of them. Threw on some 53mm spits to utilize the truck height and had no issues (and better pop).

(Mags are stripped and clear coated)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:18:30 AM by Xen »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #749 on: September 07, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »
I just need to say that Films are the best trucks ever.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.