Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69651 times)

lemonchicken91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2021, 07:38:58 AM »
am I an idiot for wanting a pair of grind kings still?
I only weight 135 so im not worried about bending anything.
I get so annoyed w kingpin on indys

Still skating this pair if caliber trucks gifted to me, great for a downhill cruiser but are very heavy. Stable though.
Built like a brick shithouse
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #661 on: April 22, 2021, 11:10:43 AM »
Too lazy to copy and paste into here, but for anyone looking for solid info on Films there was just a long tangent on them in the "Ace Trucks" specific thread - info starts on page 126 closer to the bottom of the page, and then continues for the next two pages. I mention it in that thread but I've been skating them since this past Saturday and loving them. Had about three sessions on them and loving them. Put the kingpin slightly looser than stock, and find the turn to be exceptional.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #662 on: April 22, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
Anyone know what modern bushing fits old  trackers and won't eff up the like 90° pivot area

Not so sure, but most bottom (board-side) bushings seem to be the same height. I would just use a calibrator if you have one, or just the eye test. Tracker seems to sell aftermarkets: https://selectskateshop.com/collections/tracker-trucks

I've read the elbow pivot design for those trucks make for a good surfy, yet stable truck. Refurbishing old trucks is the best!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #663 on: May 13, 2021, 11:19:09 AM »
Been on Indy for a minute then went back to Tensor ATG Mags (that grind!!!!) but was really feeling the lack of 'surfy' turn...then tried out the new ACE AF1s, then back to Tensor, same issue...just not as surfy...duh, I know.

On a whim, I swapped out the bones softs I was using in the ATGs with ACE lows (barrel bottom) bushings, they are just a hair shorter then the stock tensors bottoms, 2mm or so, and the low top allows me to get them loose without the kingpin nut ready to fall off (which just happened to me during a speed check in a manual recently where my front truck flew off, it didn't end well)...

Anyway, wow, what a difference it made (I used this same setup in Venture and it made them feel great)...while not as surfy as indy or ace it makes them a but more lively and not so hard to get stable (bones softs are like riding on a balance beam).

YMMY

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #664 on: May 13, 2021, 11:34:07 AM »
Been on Indy for a minute then went back to Tensor ATG Mags (that grind!!!!) but was really feeling the lack of 'surfy' turn...then tried out the new ACE AF1s, then back to Tensor, same issue...just not as surfy...duh, I know.

On a whim, I swapped out the bones softs I was using in the ATGs with ACE lows (barrel bottom) bushings, they are just a hair shorter then the stock tensors bottoms, 2mm or so, and the low top allows me to get them loose without the kingpin nut ready to fall off (which just happened to me during a speed check in a manual recently where my front truck flew off, it didn't end well)...

Anyway, wow, what a difference it made (I used this same setup in Venture and it made them feel great)...while not as surfy as indy or ace it makes them a but more lively and not so hard to get stable (bones softs are like riding on a balance beam).

YMMY

Good to know - I'm going to try the same thing. Currently in the process of stripping the paint off of a set of Mag ATGs

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #665 on: May 13, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
Been thinking about stripping mine but meh much work for small reward... I'm too lazy.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #666 on: May 13, 2021, 01:40:08 PM »
I have a pair of mag lights that I finished riding and put in my spare parts box, and the areas that were grinder/not covered in the coating oxidized and looked kind of crazy. I’m pretty sure I also read someplace that the mag lights have to be painted for that reason as well. All good though, I hope it works out well!!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #667 on: May 13, 2021, 02:45:34 PM »
I have a pair of mag lights that I finished riding and put in my spare parts box, and the areas that were grinder/not covered in the coating oxidized and looked kind of crazy. I’m pretty sure I also read someplace that the mag lights have to be painted for that reason as well. All good though, I hope it works out well!!

Yup, it was in another thread (maybe this one) that they'd oxidize - when I was thinking of doing it I was planning on using a clearcoat but assumed that wouldn't work or Tensor would have a raw version already. Again, too much work for me. I'ma grind that shit off =)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 04:39:12 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #668 on: May 17, 2021, 07:13:33 PM »
Expand Quote

On a whim, I swapped out the bones softs I was using in the ATGs with ACE low (barrel bottom) bushings, they are just a hair shorter then the stock tensors bottoms, 2mm or so, and the low top allows me to get them loose without the kingpin nut ready to fall off (which just happened to me during a speed check in a manual recently where my front truck flew off, it didn't end well)...

YMMV
[close]

Good to know - I'm going to try the same thing. Currently in the process of stripping the paint off of a set of Mag ATGs

@Firebert few more sessions in on this combo and it's great, should also add I'm using sleeved washers; Oddly, they feel more like thunders now but without the wheelbite.

Until I can find a conical bottom solution (the Tensor bottoms are shorter than everything out there, but not shorter than an ACE top, I tried :)) I'll just stuck with ACE lows.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #669 on: May 18, 2021, 07:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

On a whim, I swapped out the bones softs I was using in the ATGs with ACE low (barrel bottom) bushings, they are just a hair shorter then the stock tensors bottoms, 2mm or so, and the low top allows me to get them loose without the kingpin nut ready to fall off (which just happened to me during a speed check in a manual recently where my front truck flew off, it didn't end well)...

YMMV
[close]

[close]

@Firebert few more sessions in on this combo and it's great, should also add I'm using sleeved washers; Oddly, they feel more like thunders now but without the wheelbite.

Until I can find a conical bottom solution (the Tensor bottoms are shorter than everything out there, but not shorter than an ACE top, I tried :)) I'll just stuck with ACE lows.
@Xen I have a really broken in regular ACE bottom bushing that's the same height as the stock tensor ones, plus I don't ride as loose as you, so I don't need much room. ACE low tops and the flat washer works perfect for me. Those sleeved washers look cool, I'm tempted to try some - but the price is a little steep.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:56:12 AM by Firebert »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #670 on: May 18, 2021, 03:09:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

YMMV
[close]

[close]

[close]
@Xen I have a really broken in regular ACE bottom bushing that's the same height as the stock tensor ones, plus I don't ride as loose as you, so I don't need much room. ACE low tops and the flat washer works perfect for me. Those sleeved washers look cool, I'm tempted to try some - but the price is a little steep.

That used ACE bottom should be fine; the sleeved washers seem a miniscule amount thicker that regular bottom washers (the tensor ones anyway) but they feel great.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #671 on: May 19, 2021, 06:58:06 AM »
Here's my finished product, Tensor Mag ATG 5.5 - stripped the paint and clear-coated them. I love the way they came out. Finished w/riptides and ace bushings.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #672 on: May 19, 2021, 04:42:28 PM »
Here's my finished product, Tensor Mag ATG 5.5 - stripped the paint and clear-coated them. I love the way they came out. Finished w/riptides and ace bushings.

Looking good! Let me know how you get on with them ace bushings in them.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #673 on: June 11, 2021, 08:17:54 AM »
The ATG will have an "M" (for Mid) embossed under the hangar - for future knowledge.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #674 on: June 11, 2021, 08:23:54 AM »
The ATG will have an "M" (for Mid) embossed under the hangar - for future knowledge.

Good to know! Thanks  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: June 11, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good to know! Thanks  :)

Also, the yoke on the lows is HUUUUGE compared to the ATGs.

The lows don't turn for shit.

Such a confusing consumer facing brand

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #676 on: June 12, 2021, 09:47:32 AM »
Trucks in my quiver (along side ACE and Venture right now):

Mini Logo 8.37s - Skate like the Indy/Theeve/ACE camp, i.e., carvey. They're light, stable, turn very nicely, nice pop (low truck at 49mm) and grind great. Terribly underrated because Mini Logo. At $4 cheaper than say, a Thunder Standard the savings isn't really that great. I bought them just to check them out and was pretty blown away. A bit too low for my tastes and I'd rather not mess around with risers. Stock bushings are pretty hard (white) need the soft greens if you like to turn. I modded mine with a krux kingpin and ACE tall bottoms and low top bushings. Note: they pull in the wheelbase.

Theeve TiKing - Theeve were created to make a better build quality Indy (axle slippage) and probably to lessen import cost for those down under). Theeve was born around Indy Stage X (the stage that didn't turn); the prototypes ran on ACE baseplates to give you an idea of how they wanted them to turn. They're a quicker turning (oval yoke) more stable Indy. Theeve also kicked off the whole Titanium trend with the TiAX. Stock bushings are no longer bones but the theeve branded hardcore bushings (that are hard as fuck, I ride them with bones). Note: they pull in the wheelbase tighter than ACE.

Tensor ATGs - Carvey Thunders without wheelbite, and with an extended baseplate for those that tail/nose slide and have issues on Thunders  ::). The mag-lites grind for days and are ridiculously light. Pop is great, turn is great (after you put in some Bones bushings as the stock are too hard for me). Note: they push out the WB probably around the same length as Thunders.

I'm really kind of hooked on the ATGs....they work everywhere and outside of some softer bushings there is nothing to fuckswith.

Tensor ATG series Mag lights and aluminum have a similar wheelbase to indy, actually because of the 55mm height brings the wheelbase in just slightly from indy. its all i ride with all my setups. Wish they made a 9" mag light truck for my old school and wide boi setups. not just the turn, how light they are and the geometry of the truck, but the grind so smooth!

Srt32srt

« Reply #677 on: June 12, 2021, 09:57:19 AM »
My hollow Thunder 149's have a couple of mms before they hit axel. The local skateshop is "call to open". They only had Ventures and Tensors. The owner told me his Tensors were the Maglight ATG. I had my doubts but bought them anyway because I felt obliged.

He definitely sold me Tensor Maglight lows. They have the baseplate of a Tensor Maglight Low and they hardly turn. Tensor low set a new precedent for wheel bite, they will buck you right off. I've ridden Krux, Indy, and Thunder fairly loose, and the wheel bite on those trucks isn't anywhere as harsh. I tried various bushings and skated around the block each time; no difference, still got thrown right off. My neighbor across the street was amused.

They are really light though.

too bad you didnt get the ATG(All Terrain Geometry) trucks, you wouldve loved them. the way i countered my Tensor mag light lows is by putting a 1/8" riser. it will bring the truck height up to about the same height as a thunder truck and it will help with the wheelbite. the   difference between the Tensor mag light low trucks(46mm height) and the Tensor mag light ATG trucks(55mm height) is about 9mm in height as well as the lows push the wheelbase out like venture trucks while the regular ATG bring the wheelbase inbetween an indy and ace trucks. hope it helps! they Still grind amazing!

Srt32srt

« Reply #678 on: June 12, 2021, 10:41:18 AM »
Some sites have Tensor ATG sizes listed differently than other sites. Some have the 5.25 at 7.87 something axle length and others have it at 8. Same with the rest of the sizes (5.5, etc...). Anyone know which one is accurate?

the new atg truck sizes go as follows 5.0=7.68" axle, 5.25=8" axle, 5.5=8.25" axle, and 5.75=8.5" axle. some sites havent changed the sizing and have the old sizing up

Grip Jobs

« Reply #679 on: June 12, 2021, 08:52:38 PM »
Deadbolts
My first new school trucks 1995
Kingpin sticks up past hanger .5”
Put some stock Indy bushings in them recently and they look cool maybe 7” axle.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: June 17, 2021, 09:49:40 PM »
Stripped / clear coated ATG Maglights (8.5" on an 8.27")
Krux Pins (epoxy)
Stock Tensor top (90a
Bones Med bottom (91a - close enough in duro that I don't think I'll notice)
Riptides

It's a flat/slappy setup (hence the tablets and rails) Crazy clearance, sits below the axle - been doing lots of smiths and feebles, krux pin should help....been on thunders and I can hear/feel the screeeeeeee when that kingpin engages....totally slows me down.

Coming off the bones softs and ACE low bushings (barrel); this setup is much less loose that I normally ride, but I wouldn't call it tight. Granted each bushing has only been skated a handful of time so neither are even close to broken in...but it didn't really throw me off and even learned a new trick or two.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:16:55 PM by Xen »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #681 on: June 18, 2021, 05:35:12 AM »
Krux Pins (epoxy)
Stock Tensor top (90a
Riptides

It's a flat/slappy setup (hence the tablets and rails) Crazy clearance, sits below the axle - been doing lots of smiths and feebles, krux pin should help....been on thunders and I can hear/feel the screeeeeeee when that kingpin engages....totally slows me down.

Not a colored wheels kind of guy but I've always liked orange ones
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #682 on: June 18, 2021, 07:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Krux Pins (epoxy)
Stock Tensor top (90a
Riptides

[close]
Not a colored wheels kind of guy but I've always liked orange ones

I slept on the ice blue tabs a while back so when these popped up I nabbed two sets 54/53. Still sitting on a set of purple classics.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #683 on: June 18, 2021, 04:11:16 PM »
How are you liking those wheels?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

roanrox

• Rep: 4
« Reply #684 on: June 25, 2021, 06:39:21 PM »
Whats up.
I might be late but whatever
Well I’m brazilian and found this thread while browsing so I’ve decided to jump in just to help understanding brazilian trucks market.

First things first: yeah taxing here is overwhelming and gets worse day after day. Right now a pair of American branded trucks i.e Indy or Thunders can cost up to R$700 reais (real = brazilian currency so it’s plural is Reais) which can be converted to roughly U$140.00.

By now (2021) we have 2 major brands:

Crail Trucks — hands down the most famous truck brand and arguably the best trucks around, 20+ years in the making and always sponsoring skaters and being involved to the scene. Very famous during the 90’s when almost no one could afford an Indy. I myself had a couple pairs and just ordered another one 149Hi because i’m sizing down my setup.
So yeah they have 3 heights being somewhere around (Lo 48mm) (Mid 50mm) (Hi 53mm). Their sizing numbers follow up Indys but they have a whole lot more options in sizing like 127, 129, 133, 136, 139, 142, 146, 149 and so on up to 169 I guess (no clue why so many options tho).
One can say they are like Thunders. Yeah, maybe. All I can say is that they are good enough and last enough. Many many people skate them really well and swear by them. They have a good team and marketing. They also sponsor Lincoln Ueda (famous vert ripper). A pair costs around R$250 reais (U$ 40) so you can see the huge gap in price here.
Their bushings and pivot cups are OK (Moog brand which belongs to Crail).
Check them out at www.crailtrucks.com.br and @crailtrucks on Instagram.

Stronger Trucks — Newer brand, affordable and backed up by many brazilian (skaters)youtubers. Never rode ‘em but there’s a lot of people riding those and not complaining. However I don’t think they can be on par with Crail nor the worldwide famous brands. I’d say they’re more like a truck for beginners. Idk what they could be compared to but they look like Indy rip-offs (aesthetically).
Instagram: @strongertrucks

And ofc we have several smaller brands that comes on those shop completes and/or are owned by retired brazilian pro skaters.

I don’t know where neither Crail nor Stronger are made but I’d bet China.

Note: I was a skateshop owner then moved to the US then now I’m back so yeah I know some brands. My current setup is 159 Indys / 151 Thunders (going down to 149 Crail like I said).

Fun note: people here been riding and liking Royals A LOT.  :o :-X
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:52:41 PM by roanrox »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2021, 10:23:29 PM »
Have you skated Trurium truck before (https://www.trurium.com/trucks).

Looks like an Indy Stage 7 or 8 (or like a Theeve) with a crazy baseplate design.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SharkJohnson

• Rep: -92
  • i am a shark penis
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #686 on: June 26, 2021, 03:53:47 AM »
royal 5.5 stock

roanrox

• Rep: 4
« Reply #687 on: June 26, 2021, 05:04:04 AM »

Looks like an Indy Stage 7 or 8 (or like a Theeve) with a crazy baseplate design.

No I haven’t. Don’t know anyone riding those either. They look… different.
Alex Carolino seems to be the pro behind the brand. Not sure tho.

phlap

• Rep: 8
« Reply #688 on: June 26, 2021, 05:19:59 AM »

Goddamn, and here I thought my idea of cutting out the sides of the baseplate to reduce weight was original...
-Summer of George-

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #689 on: July 19, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
Has anyone reviewed the grind king disruptors on here yet? I know Ben de gros made a vid on them but just curious if any pals dug them. Seems like their IG has gained more traction and more dudes are riding the trucks and liking them. I might be down to be an unpopular truck kook at my local if they're worth a shot. Shalom