Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69616 times)

sus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #600 on: July 15, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I got some Tensors once after skating only Ventures for several years. If you like Ventures, this is your closest alternative. These are prob the only trucks i would skate aside from a venture.

I ride a pretty tight truck set up and the Tensors performed pretty well in my opinion.
[close]

Are you talking ATGs, Lo or Tensor 10s?

I've been skating both 5.5 ATGs and 5.6 Ventures and they could't feel more different.

I skated Tensor Mag Light Lo's when i had Tensors, i usually ride Venture Low's

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #601 on: July 23, 2020, 04:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
In response to Xen: I’m basically looking for the closest thing to Ace that’s not Ace. China Indy’s seem to be a Stage 12 in a sense but alternative trucks get my truck madness boner going. I tried out some 161 Thunders and like you, even with cast plates and Thunder risers it’s wheelbite city. So between Theeve and Tensor ATG’s, which would you say is the closest to Ace? Thanks for your detailed info so far man.
[close]

I'm not Xen lol but I think the fact that Tensors stretch out the wheelbase so much more than Aces make them not that similar to Ace, so I'd probably guess Theeves? I do feel a hint of Ace in the way the Tensors turn. Though a less twitchy, slightly surfier Thunder is probably the way I'd best describe it.

Expand Quote
I'm curious enough about them to wanna check out pics, especially a side view of the geometry, but I doubt I'd get them.

My list of non-Indy maybe's goes Tensor ATG mag, Film, Ace
I thought I'd read than ATG wheelbase was between Indy and Thunder??
Film/Cliche guy said said Film is between Indy and Thunder. Man, can't remember his name rn..
Both have interlocking bushings. I guessing both where designed by the same guy and made at the same factory. Might have similar geo..
Anyone compared ATG to Film?
[close]

This doesn't answer your question and I haven't had a set of Thunders in a while so can't compare exactly but I'm pretty sure that Tensor ATGs are somewhat far from Indys and much closer to the Thunder end of the spectrum (maybe even the same as Thunders). Someone with all three should check though.

Closest to Aces would be Theeves (haters gonna hate but as I've said before the protoypes ran on ACE baseplates) as far as turning, they're a bit slower than ACE but faster than Indy. Not even close to Thunders (but as stable). Theeve were made to be a better Indy: more stable, faster/more responsive yet still carvey, which they are. Terribly underrated truck. My only gripe with them is that they don't get loose enough, like Indy/ACE loose....if you don't like indy and ride loose get ACE, if you ride tight get Theeves.

ATGs are right between Thunder and Indy, hard to describe until you ride them. But the WB is def more Indy than Thunder feeling and the turn is more thunder than Indy.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #602 on: July 23, 2020, 07:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In response to Xen: I’m basically looking for the closest thing to Ace that’s not Ace. China Indy’s seem to be a Stage 12 in a sense but alternative trucks get my truck madness boner going. I tried out some 161 Thunders and like you, even with cast plates and Thunder risers it’s wheelbite city. So between Theeve and Tensor ATG’s, which would you say is the closest to Ace? Thanks for your detailed info so far man.
[close]

I'm not Xen lol but I think the fact that Tensors stretch out the wheelbase so much more than Aces make them not that similar to Ace, so I'd probably guess Theeves? I do feel a hint of Ace in the way the Tensors turn. Though a less twitchy, slightly surfier Thunder is probably the way I'd best describe it.

Expand Quote
I'm curious enough about them to wanna check out pics, especially a side view of the geometry, but I doubt I'd get them.

Film/Cliche guy said said Film is between Indy and Thunder. Man, can't remember his name rn..
Both have interlocking bushings. I guessing both where designed by the same guy and made at the same factory. Might have similar geo..
[close]

This doesn't answer your question and I haven't had a set of Thunders in a while so can't compare exactly but I'm pretty sure that Tensor ATGs are somewhat far from Indys and much closer to the Thunder end of the spectrum (maybe even the same as Thunders). Someone with all three should check though.
[close]

Closest to Aces would be Theeves (haters gonna hate but as I've said before the protoypes ran on ACE baseplates) as far as turning, they're a bit slower than ACE but faster than Indy. Not even close to Thunders (but as stable). Theeve were made to be a better Indy: more stable, faster/more responsive yet still carvey, which they are. Terribly underrated truck. My only gripe with them is that they don't get loose enough, like Indy/ACE loose....if you don't like indy and ride loose get ACE, if you ride tight get Theeves.

ATGs are right between Thunder and Indy, hard to describe until you ride them. But the WB is def more Indy than Thunder feeling and the turn is more thunder than Indy.

The weight of the trucks makes a huge difference too, shortened WB (similar to Indys) coupled with insanely light trucks gives a very light pop feel. Rode them on a fairly long Real (8.18 x 31.8 x 14.38) and even with a fairly long WB the pop felt way too light for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #603 on: July 23, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The weight of the trucks makes a huge difference too, shortened WB (similar to Indys) coupled with insanely light trucks gives a very light pop feel. Rode them on a fairly long Real (8.18 x 31.8 x 14.38) and even with a fairly long WB the pop felt way too light for me.

For sure takes getting used to...the 5.5s feel great on heavy boards, especially heavy 8.3s, they sort of null out the weight difference and it normalizes to a smaller board feel. My only gripe is the 55mm height, I just prefer mid to low trucks (getting back on Indy forged TIs coming off Venture).

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #604 on: August 02, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »
Are Theeve Tiax V1 or V2 worth looking at? The V1 looks really handsome with the skinny hanger but I'm not sure about the height. I usually ride Ventures, sometimes Thunders, not sure if I'm ready to make the huge life change.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #605 on: August 02, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »
Are Theeve Tiax V1 or V2 worth looking at? The V1 looks really handsome with the skinny hanger but I'm not sure about the height. I usually ride Ventures, sometimes Thunders, not sure if I'm ready to make the huge life change.

If you can find them, yes, especially the V1/V2 tiKings. The Ti Kingpin is stupid light. hanger is nice and svelt too. People had issues withe bones bushing bulge because they cranked them down too much instead of changing duro.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #606 on: August 02, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can find them, yes, especially the V1/V2 tiKings. The Ti Kingpin is stupid light. hanger is nice and svelt too. People had issues withe bones bushing bulge because they cranked them down too much instead of changing duro.

I'm half contemplating getting these trucks for a shorter board (8 x 31.6 x 14.25) but I'm not sure if I'm going to like sizing down that much. I'm usually on the BBS standard (8 x 31.75 x 14.25) or a slightly longer board with a shorter WB (8 x 31.8 x 14) typically paired with mostly Ventures, sometimes Thunders. Tried 2 pairs of Indys but I didn't like any of them and sold them off after using them for 1 setup each. I don't want to go down another bout of truck madness with a new brand but these are a great looking truck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #607 on: August 02, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »
i've got a set of tiax 2 5.85s.  once i replaced the top washers with some smaller diameter flat washers, they became my favourite trucks.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #608 on: August 03, 2020, 09:54:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

When I compared my thunders and tensor ATG the wheelbase was EXACTLY the same (on same WB decks of course). I checked multiple times because I keep reading that ATG is shorter than thunder and I wish they were, maybe I'm crazy. They do have an extended baseplate though, so you get more wheel clearance on nose/tail slides.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #609 on: August 03, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm half contemplating getting these trucks for a shorter board (8 x 31.6 x 14.25) but I'm not sure if I'm going to like sizing down that much. I'm usually on the BBS standard (8 x 31.75 x 14.25) or a slightly longer board with a shorter WB (8 x 31.8 x 14) typically paired with mostly Ventures, sometimes Thunders. Tried 2 pairs of Indys but I didn't like any of them and sold them off after using them for 1 setup each. I don't want to go down another bout of truck madness with a new brand but these are a great looking truck.

Do you ride tight or loose? Theeve don't get squirrly loose.

Do you like ACE? They are a less turny ACE

Do you prefer Indys over Thunders? Theeve were made to be a 'better' Indy so they are in the ACE/INDY/Mini Logo camp.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #610 on: August 03, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you ride tight or loose? Theeve don't get squirrly loose.

Do you like ACE? They are a less turny ACE

Do you prefer Indys over Thunders? Theeve were made to be a 'better' Indy so they are in the ACE/INDY/Mini Logo camp.

I ride medium-loose, haven't tried Ace and prefer Thunder to Indys.

These are the V1 right? I think the V2 and V3 have a much sharper angle where the hanger swoops down to the yoke / pivot cup. I'd be OK if they were more like Ace, been meaning to try a pair.

https://theevetrucks.com/products/theeve-tiax-raw-skateboard-trucks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #611 on: September 05, 2020, 01:15:53 PM »
Came to this thread for info on Film because I've been riding Thunder too long (used to ride Indy and Krux before that) and have a longing to try something new. Anyone have any updated info/user experience with them? Seems like people say they feel closest to Indy or Ace, but no one really mentioned how they grind/slide, durability, pop/flick effects, etc.

For reference if I do switch from Thunders it's gonna be either Film or Ace - I miss having the carvy feel of indies and the beefy grind, but def don't wanna go back to them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #612 on: September 05, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »
Ace and film are very similar, Ace seem
more surfy but that’s maybe because I witches over to them first. Pop timing is almost identical, they both grind well. As others have said, film take longer to break in

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #613 on: September 10, 2020, 03:30:54 AM »
If anyone wants to give the Calibers a shot there's some on ebay for cheap. I ordered a set of the hollows as my main gripe with the ones I have is the weight. I really like the turn on them, it's snappy without being tight and the bushings (92a blood orange) are great. Also the 8 hole baseplate is cool - I used it to bring the wb in on a heroin 8.25 (14.7 wb) with ok results and push it out on an 8.4 doomsayers (14 wb) with very good results. The doomsayers setup with 56mm loophole V cuts is now my go-to commuter/cruiser because I enjoy the turn of the trucks so much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152508973063

Ace and film are very similar, Ace seem
more surfy but that’s maybe because I witches over to them first. Pop timing is almost identical, they both grind well. As others have said, film take longer to break in

I think Films are a little more stable (especially at speed) and responsive, probably because of the Jaws bushings. I hardly ever wheelbite on them at stock tightness whereas aces it can be an issue with larger wheels. Pop wise I like aces better, Films sometimes feel like they neuter it a bit. They definitely have a similar general feel to them though. It's always interesting to see people's opinions and how they differ from my own.

ultrabra

« Reply #614 on: September 13, 2020, 12:53:53 AM »
Hello!
Does anybody have or know about tensor alloys, 5,5 specifically.
Good Bad?
And how high are they. All kind's of info on the net.
Thank you.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #615 on: September 13, 2020, 05:01:18 AM »
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
Don't get them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #616 on: September 13, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]
Don't get them.

Kid on Reddit break them all the time. They exist to be a cheap alternative for beginners and ruin tensors reputation.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #617 on: September 13, 2020, 07:24:05 AM »
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.

I had a pair and they were/are fine. They are in my basement at the moment so I can’t measure height and wheelbase , but they turn fine, grind fine and while I don’t do any high impact skating, they seemed strong enough. I rode mine for about a month before switching out (because of fear madness, not quality).

I threw some bones soft bushings in as I didn’t feel like breaking in the stock bushings, so I can’t speak to bushing quality.

As far as the breakage issue, I have seen a couple people on reddit saying they break, but I haven’t experienced that and they have a warrantee against stuff like that so I figure with the warrantee+super cheap price they are good enough.

ultrabra

« Reply #618 on: September 13, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]
Don't get them.
[close]

Kid on Reddit break them all the time. They exist to be a cheap alternative for beginners and ruin tensors reputation.

Thank you both.
I guess i skip them.
Just trying to find a 8.25 truck that is lower. And yes i have ML 8.38 and Thunder 148 lights.
Theeve 5,5 is not an option since they are impossible to get regulary.
Maybe i'll wait until there is an 144 forged mid. Hopefully it would sit at 50,5mm. Or venture 5,6 low.
I accept occational wheelbite, as long as i get to ride low :)

ultrabra

« Reply #619 on: September 13, 2020, 07:36:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]

I had a pair and they were/are fine. They are in my basement at the moment so I can’t measure height and wheelbase , but they turn fine, grind fine and while I don’t do any high impact skating, they seemed strong enough. I rode mine for about a month before switching out (because of fear madness, not quality).

I threw some bones soft bushings in as I didn’t feel like breaking in the stock bushings, so I can’t speak to bushing quality.

As far as the breakage issue, I have seen a couple people on reddit saying they break, but I haven’t experienced that and they have a warrantee against stuff like that so I figure with the warrantee+super cheap price they are good enough.

Ok, so in two seconds im rethinking  ;D

Yeah the price is great, and i skate lo impact anyways. So if they break. Not a big deal.
Thank you so much if you would measure. Do you think they have an 8,125 axle.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #620 on: September 13, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]

[close]

Yeah the price is great, and i skate lo impact anyways. So if they break. Not a big deal.

AFAIK Tensor did away with the odd sizing.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #621 on: September 13, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]

[close]

[close]

I was curious about tensor alloys this spring and picked up a pair of the 5.5's. I've been skating them for the past 6 months on my main street setup and i have zero complaints about them once I got them setup how I like them. They have 8.25" axles, ~51mm high axles, add 3.125" to the boards WB and have soft conical bushings (90a?) with a top washer that binds with the hanger before wheel bite. I swaped in some indy hard barrel bushings with the smallest cupped top washer i could find (old grind king one) and they are really great trucks honestly. Ive been riding mini logo 8.38" trucks with broken in bones hard bushings and old indy aftermarket pivots for many years and these feel very similar but have 1/4" more wheel base extension and are a touch heavier. They grind great and the kingpin hasent became wobbly on me yet like they can on the minilogos, but time will tell. They really do remind me of a low to mid Indy how i have them set up and there shouldn't be any modifications needed to run inverted kingpins if you like to go that route.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #622 on: September 13, 2020, 08:20:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]
Don't get them.
[close]

[close]

Thank you both.
I guess i skip them.
Just trying to find a 8.25 truck that is lower. And yes i have ML 8.38 and Thunder 148 lights.
Maybe i'll wait until there is an 144 forged mid. Hopefully it would sit at 50,5mm. Or venture 5,6 low.

The Indy Mids are 52mm
Indy forged and Venture forged are 53.5mm
Thunders, based on the new chart are 49, 50, 51, 52 and fucking 53mm - these being based on hanger width and team vs forged...
ACE are 52mm
Venture Lows are 49mm (?)

Not much else there dude

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #623 on: September 13, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]
Don't get them.
[close]

[close]

Thank you both.
I guess i skip them.
[close]

The Indy Mids are 52mm
Indy forged and Venture forged are 53.5mm
Thunders, based on the new chart are 49, 50, 51, 52 and fucking 53mm - these being based on hanger width and team vs forged...
ACE are 52mm
Venture Lows are 49mm (?)

Not much else there dude
all forged ventures are at least 1mm lower than cast
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

ultrabra

« Reply #624 on: September 14, 2020, 12:52:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was curious about tensor alloys this spring and picked up a pair of the 5.5's. I've been skating them for the past 6 months on my main street setup and i have zero complaints about them once I got them setup how I like them. They have 8.25" axles, ~51mm high axles, add 3.125" to the boards WB and have soft conical bushings (90a?) with a top washer that binds with the hanger before wheel bite. I swaped in some indy hard barrel bushings with the smallest cupped top washer i could find (old grind king one) and they are really great trucks honestly. Ive been riding mini logo 8.38" trucks with broken in bones hard bushings and old indy aftermarket pivots for many years and these feel very similar but have 1/4" more wheel base extension and are a touch heavier. They grind great and the kingpin hasent became wobbly on me yet like they can on the minilogos, but time will tell. They really do remind me of a low to mid Indy how i have them set up and there shouldn't be any modifications needed to run inverted kingpins if you like to go that route.

Thank you. Great info. Going to get a pair i guess.

Thanks to everyone fo your input.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #625 on: September 14, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

~51mm high axles?

55mm is what the tout, did you measure? Axle to Axle they're taller than everything I have on hand (not counting the nubs on the plate).

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #626 on: September 14, 2020, 10:04:31 AM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this beforehand but for a great budget trucks minilogo's I know I know might seem dumb but I got given a shit load along time ago by a homie who was sponsored by them and they suited me well after I had the few instances of breaking Indy stage 9's baseplates the were a great cheaper trucks. They rode like an Indy but were stable like a Thunder. I liked them for heft and slappies people can hate on them for whatever but if you didn't have enough money for the hollows or other gimmick type of reputable trucks ML definitely were a great in between. 
Dueces Bitch's

ultrabra

« Reply #627 on: September 14, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hello!
Good Bad?
Thank you.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

~51mm high axles?

55mm is what the tout, did you measure? Axle to Axle they're taller than everything I have on hand (not counting the nubs on the plate).

Hellou Xen. Maybe you think about the ATG truck. Alloy is not the same, or Tensor ten.
Or maybe im drunk :D i am. On a monday 8)

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #628 on: September 14, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
Xen, I'm riding the Alloy model, not the aluminum ATG's. They don't have the nubs on the base plate and when i measured the axle height of the trucks in stock form it was around 51mm. The indy barrels are a touch shorter than the stock bushings and that drops the axle height down closer to 50mm on my setup. I ride 50-52mm wheels and have the trucks just tight enough where i can't hear the washers rattling while im riding ( 6'2", 210lbs) and don't have an issue with excessive wheelbite, at least not more bite than my minilogo trucks have with a 1/8" riser. 

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #629 on: September 22, 2020, 06:36:29 PM »
Threw my Film 5.5’s back on today and since I’m on a wobbly loose truck kick again, figured I would tinker with them a bit to see how they would ride like that. Previously I rode them medium tight with some bones soft bushings in there as I didn’t feel like waiting for the stock bushings to break in. They felt fine, though there was an odd lag in the turn, like it took an extra second longer to initiate the turn. Couldn’t figure out why it did that but I got used to it.

This time I put the stock bottoms in but the top bushing I used was a worn in thunder bushing I sliced down to make my thunders looser. The turn was great but still had that odd lag which turned out to be the pivot cups sticking. Like the pivot cups were too tight or something. I never experienced that issue with trucks before (aside from a little squeaking I never really noticed them ever) so it didn’t occur to me to mess with that the first time around. Anyway, I put some industrial grease in the pivot cup which seems to have solved the issue for now.

Anyway, now that they are all greased up, loose and with closer to standard bushings, they feel like totally different trucks than the first time around and I’m really liking them so far. I can see the comparison with Ace’s more now in the turn and pop feel (especially noticeable as I was riding loose Aces earlier today), which makes sense as the geometry is very similar.

I’ll report back in a few days after I get a chance to goof around a bit more.