Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 71436 times)

ItsNoUse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -15
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2020, 06:49:04 PM »
Getting some 5.75 Mag D1s. Decided these over the films since the destructos seem to have regular sizing from what I found here:

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/destructo-trucks-d1-mag-team-lite-silver-red-skateboard-trucks-5.75-hanger-8.5-axle-set-of-2

This site seems to have accurate measurements for trucks. Also the extra hole positions on the film baseplate sketch me out since it seems really easy to warp the main 4 and grind down into the the other 2. Anyways excited to see how they D1s skate

Will be following to see results. Godspeed.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2020, 07:36:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Getting some 5.75 Mag D1s. Decided these over the films since the destructos seem to have regular sizing from what I found here:

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/destructo-trucks-d1-mag-team-lite-silver-red-skateboard-trucks-5.75-hanger-8.5-axle-set-of-2

This site seems to have accurate measurements for trucks. Also the extra hole positions on the film baseplate sketch me out since it seems really easy to warp the main 4 and grind down into the the other 2. Anyways excited to see how they D1s skate
[close]

Will be following to see results. Godspeed.

Thanks man, shalom

ILikeToMilkDucks

• Rep: 2
« Reply #332 on: February 15, 2020, 01:03:38 AM »
ilm baseplate sketch me out since it seems really easy to warp the main 4 and grind down into the the other 2. Anyways excited to see how they D1s skate

I really like D1 lows a lot. They turn well but don't wheelbite as easily as other low trucks I've tried, have used multiple sets.

Based on that I purchased the mid mag d1's. They feel similar to indies, but the extra mm in height was oddly noticeable. They lean really deep, but I guess most 8.25 trucks do.

What bugged me about them was the pivot cups. They use the super soft pivots that squish and end up wrapping around the hanger/bulging out of the seating. Always worried they were sliding inside the cavity. Seemed more like a pivot condom. It actually didn't effect performance, but just noticing it bugged me. Still a smooth turn.

I ended up selling them cheap to a friend who absolutely loves them. I didn't actually want to sell them since they were solid, but at the time I was really dead set on trying Ace. I'd want to try the mag d1's again, but probably in 8.0 this time. I usually ride 8.1 decks.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #333 on: February 15, 2020, 02:01:17 AM »
Expand Quote
ilm baseplate sketch me out since it seems really easy to warp the main 4 and grind down into the the other 2. Anyways excited to see how they D1s skate
[close]

I really like D1 lows a lot. They turn well but don't wheelbite as easily as other low trucks I've tried, have used multiple sets.

Based on that I purchased the mid mag d1's. They feel similar to indies, but the extra mm in height was oddly noticeable. They lean really deep, but I guess most 8.25 trucks do.

What bugged me about them was the pivot cups. They use the super soft pivots that squish and end up wrapping around the hanger/bulging out of the seating. Always worried they were sliding inside the cavity. Seemed more like a pivot condom. It actually didn't effect performance, but just noticing it bugged me. Still a smooth turn.

I ended up selling them cheap to a friend who absolutely loves them. I didn't actually want to sell them since they were solid, but at the time I was really dead set on trying Ace. I'd want to try the mag d1's again, but probably in 8.0 this time. I usually ride 8.1 decks.

We hopping aboard the Destructo train now?

I'm bidding for a pair of D2 Lite Mid, need some quick input on them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #334 on: February 15, 2020, 02:06:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the info man, really appreciate it. I'm down for an indy-like truck with a deep turn so I hope they work out on an 8.5 deck. Honestly nothing tore up pivot cups for me more than Aces, if the Destructos just bulge but don't break down I'm fine. I've got spare pivot cups and can snag from other trucks just in case. If you get some again post how they skate.

Edit: there's posts earlier in the thread about D2s I believe but can't speak on them myself

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #335 on: February 15, 2020, 02:30:53 AM »
https://trurium.com/

Forged trucks from Brazil.
the axle seems to be pinned in place
these seem interesting. Unlike making decks where you need to source maple i cant see any reason why a good truck cant be made in Brazil (or even just designed in Brazil and forged in China).

I also seem to remember a brazilian truck from like 15 years ago that was made out of solid urethane with a metal grind plate embedded in it. the whole truck was a solid chunk of urethane and was shaped similar to a metal truck.
 i have a mental image of exactly how it looked and seem to remember it was made by Crail Trucks, which is still a thing, but i cant find any info or images online. did i just make it up in my head or was it a real thing?
brazilian pals maybe?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:41:12 AM by eranka »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #336 on: February 15, 2020, 03:05:00 AM »
It was a real thing but the name keeps skipping my mind.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #337 on: February 15, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
Just grabbed some of the Mag Lights in 5.75" with the new ATV geometry and they finally turn acceptable with some bones bushings. First set of black trucks ever as I won these for $40 on ebay. Yet to skate them but looking great and light af.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #338 on: February 15, 2020, 10:09:22 PM »
I swapped my tensors over to a different deck after taking the wheels off and it's crazy how fucking light the mag lights really are...like the weight of two wheels. Crazy.

Back to running bones softs, Bones washers. Stock are just too hard.

Took them out for a slappy session...swapped to bones medium, no washers (I found that they get that tippy feeling, like you have to balance find the balance point to stay on center without the washer, but eventually got used to it), the softs were giving me wheel bite, mediums, for now, not so much.

Anyway, man, I was locking into BS feebles and gliding like they were boardslides with rails; once you get that good lean and lock, they just go.

Ordered some 8" maglites, sizing down to an 8.125"x31.75.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:08:19 PM by Xen »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 56
« Reply #339 on: February 16, 2020, 05:17:04 AM »

Just a heads up at Destructo have the same in between sizing.  the 5.75 are actually 8.38 and the Squadron are 8.625

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #340 on: February 16, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just a heads up at Destructo have the same in between sizing.  the 5.75 are actually 8.38 and the Squadron are 8.625

Aww shit really, I've found a lot of conflicting info on this so I wasn't sure.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2020, 01:53:12 PM »
I just emailed destructo so we'll see what's up

Edit: while I'm waiting I looked around, skatedeluxe says they're 8.3, but they say all 5.75 trucks are 8.3, even tensors which are actually 8.5. They also say they're 55mm high but everywhere else says 56mm. Some french sites were saying they measured the same as 149s, or at least that's what I thought it said since my french is shit. Some Amazon storefronts said 8.5 and others said other stuff. Some sites have different measurements on the same truck depending on what color you pick, anyways I've got no idea lol
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:56:51 PM by whatsreallygood »

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #342 on: February 17, 2020, 04:59:33 AM »

Edit: while I'm waiting I looked around, skatedeluxe says they're 8.3, but they say all 5.75 trucks are 8.3, even tensors which are actually 8.5. They also say they're 55mm high but everywhere else says 56mm. Some french sites were saying they measured the same as 149s, or at least that's what I thought it said since my french is shit. Some Amazon storefronts said 8.5 and others said other stuff. Some sites have different measurements on the same truck depending on what color you pick, anyways I've got no idea lol

Maybe don't go off of that site then....

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #343 on: February 17, 2020, 08:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe don't go off of that site then....

I'm not, it's just odd cause they're right about other measurements and other sites aren't consistent

Edit:

All cleared up now
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:10:07 AM by whatsreallygood »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: February 17, 2020, 09:06:51 PM »

Destructo D2 Lite Mid in 5.25, keen to set these up on a smaller 8" board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »

Took them out for a slappy session...swapped to bones medium, no washers (I found that they get that tippy feeling, like you have to balance find the balance point to stay on center without the washer, but eventually got used to it), the softs were giving me wheel bite, mediums, for now, not so much.

Anyway, man, I was locking into BS feebles and gliding like they were boardslides with rails; once you get that good lean and lock, they just go.

Ordered some 8" maglites, sizing down to an 8.125"x31.75.

Yeah, I just skated them for the first time and the turning is pretty weird but I think i can get used to it. Im using Bones hard pretty loose with only the bones washer. Stock bushing were unusable. Youre not joking about feeling like rails. I could have sworn I kept overshooting 5050 or 50 grinds cus it was just as fast and smooth as wheels and threw me off, I was expecting some resistance. I did notice that when you grind concrete or curbs, these are so soft that I was seeing little pieces of metal come off on even short grinds. But so light Im really enjoying it. Tricky though.

Edit: These remind me of the early 90s/late 80s tracker ultralights (If you were around same time as me, you def had them or your friend did) . Also an amazingly light truck but there was something off with the turning and unskatable mostly. The maglights arer better turning than them with the new atv geometry but I feel like its suggesting I dont carve as much pls politely. few hours on them Ima be ok. I may try no washers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:50:25 PM by tyshoes »

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
i just cobbled together 9” krux hangers, ace baseplates, bones bushings, riptide pivot cups, and inverted kingpin. kook city. i will report back after hitting the skatepark
🤙

ILikeToMilkDucks

« Reply #347 on: February 19, 2020, 12:57:50 PM »
Just noticed Destructo put the Railkillers up.

https://destructotrucks.com/collections/trucks/products/d1-mid-rail-killers

To hit or not to hit.  ???

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 888
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #348 on: February 19, 2020, 02:08:20 PM »
i just cobbled together 9” krux hangers, ace baseplates, bones bushings, riptide pivot cups, and inverted kingpin. kook city. i will report back after hitting the skatepark
be safe out there man. that truck setup just sounds like something bad is waiting to happen
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
i am now realizing i should have mentioned that my favorite truck is ace 66 with bones bushings, inverted kingpins, and riptide pivvies
🤙

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2020, 04:20:57 PM »

HIT! and post results. I think Destructo might make a decent return in the near future.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2020, 06:08:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

HIT! and post results. I think Destructo might make a decent return in the near future.

Still waiting for someone to state the differences between D1 & D2, aside from the height. Looks like a different baseplate too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ILikeToMilkDucks

« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2020, 06:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Still waiting for someone to state the differences between D1 & D2, aside from the height. Looks like a different baseplate too.

D1's ride like indies, D2's ride like thunders. And the height, obviously. D2's also come with double cones instead of cone/barrel like the D1's. I know at one point they came with bones bushings, but I'm not sure if they still do. But they're more Thunder/Theeve-ish, whereas the D1's are just straight indy. Essentially, the D2's are more of a snappy response whereas the D1's are more carvy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:46:17 PM by ILikeToMilkDucks »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

D1's ride like indies, D2's ride like thunders. And the height, obviously. D2's also come with double cones instead of cone/barrel like the D1's. I know at one point they came with bones bushings, but I'm not sure if they still do. But they're more Thunder/Theeve-ish, whereas the D1's are just straight indy. Essentially, the D2's are more of a snappy response whereas the D1's are more carvy.

Thanks man, any chance you know what they do with WB? And what's the deal with the Rail Killers aside from a different baseplate?

Edit: been chatting with the people manning the Destructo IG page, solid customer service. Here is their reply regarding the Railkillers:
"The rail killers are a D1 but sit slightly lower than the normal D1 but not enough to market it as such. It's also longer than the standard base plate so your pop will actually be a little more responsive. I've seen them in action and they go on crusty ledges for sure. GOnna set up a set myself soon so I can be more knowledgeable."

He also hooked me up with a discount code for 20% off before shipping. I'm definitely going to try a pair.

Code: shalom (yeah I assume they lurk here)

Edit edit:
Had some time today and went about measuring the WB on the Destructo D2 Lite: on a 14" WB board they add around 3.15" of WB, so right about the same as a Thunder Team (Cast plate), between a Indy Std and Thunder forged.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:58:05 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2020, 09:17:22 PM »
Gotta agree with the customer service, dang I wish I'd gotten a discount lol. If I like them and snag another pair I'll have to use that

ILikeToMilkDucks

« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2020, 02:15:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks man, any chance you know what they do with WB? And what's the deal with the Rail Killers aside from a different baseplate?

Edit: been chatting with the people manning the Destructo IG page, solid customer service. Here is their reply regarding the Railkillers:
"The rail killers are a D1 but sit slightly lower than the normal D1 but not enough to market it as such. It's also longer than the standard base plate so your pop will actually be a little more responsive. I've seen them in action and they go on crusty ledges for sure. GOnna set up a set myself soon so I can be more knowledgeable."

He also hooked me up with a discount code for 20% off before shipping. I'm definitely going to try a pair.

Edit edit:
Had some time today and went about measuring the WB on the Destructo D2 Lite: on a 14" WB board they add around 3.15" of WB, so right about the same as a Thunder Team (Cast plate), between a Indy Std and Thunder forged.

I remember a few years ago when I ordered my last Destructos I sent them an email, they responded really fast, and then when my order went out they sent me a ton of stuff. Like, stickers, spare bushings, just so much swag. Their customer support is awesome.

Destructo was the first truck I ever rode, though, so they definitely have a place in my heart. They had a bad rep for a while so it's cool to see people be open to them again. I think the Bam association ultimately hurt them. (Though now he rides Ace, oddly enough.)

I feel guilty for not currently riding a set. I still have a couple d1 low sets hanging around. Maybe I'll slap the 5.0's on a 7.75 deck for full nostalgia sake

Or just buy those railkillers... I think I need to just go for it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2020, 02:36:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Edit edit:
[close]

I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2020, 05:25:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Edit edit:
[close]
[close]

I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult. I am a financially responsible adult.
You wish
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

ILikeToMilkDucks

« Reply #358 on: February 21, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Edit edit:
[close]
[close]

[close]
You wish

Yeah, I do.

Ordered them.  8)

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »
I'm excited to hear about these. It'd be sick if they sold the railkiller baseplates separately so when you eventually wear yours down you can get those and keep your nicely broke in hangers.