Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 113659 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #540 on: August 28, 2020, 03:54:43 AM »
I dont know where too ask so I'll ask here, has anyone sawed of the nose abit just to get it twin nose/tail setup? I'm thinking of trying it considering board are sort of hard to get now.
south central does sound like a federal prison when you really think about it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: August 31, 2020, 07:39:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone got $4700 sitting around to drop on this Global Skate Board Market Report 2020 ??? lol
[close]

Link for the lazy? Maybe the 2019 report is available online, the market analyst in me would love to look at the data.
[close]

it’s a hyperlink buddy hahah
[close]

My bad, just got out of bed when I saw that link.

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/skateboard-market

The summary of this other report is pretty interest. I downloaded a sample of the report out of curiosity.

Went down the rabbit hole and requested for sample reports both 2 market research companies. I got the sample reports in PDF so hit me up if you're looking for some bedtime reading.

Also this research company is covers decks, trucks, wheels and bearings. Having a major analyst boner right now:
https://www.reportsmonitor.com/search?search=skateboard&category=NULL
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #542 on: September 01, 2020, 03:03:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone got $4700 sitting around to drop on this Global Skate Board Market Report 2020 ??? lol
[close]

Link for the lazy? Maybe the 2019 report is available online, the market analyst in me would love to look at the data.
[close]

[close]

The summary of this other report is pretty interest. I downloaded a sample of the report out of curiosity.
[close]

Went down the rabbit hole and requested for sample reports both 2 market research companies. I got the sample reports in PDF so hit me up if you're looking for some bedtime reading.

Also this research company is covers decks, trucks, wheels and bearings. Having a major analyst boner right now:

i'm down !
Might help navigate the last quarter of 2020...

chpsk8

• Rep: -3
« Reply #543 on: September 06, 2020, 10:07:11 AM »
Expand Quote

Edit: still have 3 Magenta boards from BBS in 8.125; if Canada Skate Shop brought in samples from other woodshops like Clutch or Chapman I would have loved to try a few.
[close]

Same thing. Chapman doesn't press boards anymore, they use ASF/Clutch blanks. For what it's worth, the two decks I've had that came from Chapman (8.38 coda and 8.25 hotel blue) have felt better than the other clutch decks I've skated. It's almost certainly down to the fact that they were both the O shape which is pretty much exactly what I like (square-ish kicks, big nose, full shape, 14.25 wb, around 31.6 length) while the others were P or K shape though.   

Expand Quote
I've grabbed Canadian shop boards and they are good....ninetimes, menu, both BBS/generator.  I think blue tile too....
[close]

Wasn't bluetile quincy wood or am I thinking of blueprint? Too many blues.

Where did you get your information from regarding Chapman not pressing boards anymore? My buddy is starting to go through them for boards, but this information has not been brought up. Everything on the site still has manufactured in the U.S by Chapman.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #544 on: September 07, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
Does anyone have any opinions on either Control or Woodchuck?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #545 on: September 07, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »
I like control shapes but their wood flex like no other, I try to avoid.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #546 on: September 07, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »

I placed an order with woodchuck

I’m pretty sure they wood for willys workshop and finesse, but I haven’t confirmed. I really like finesse boards

They do a lot of shops. They do the current blueprint logo stuff, Death, premium, selfish(which is still a thing in Asia) and some red dragon stuff. they do that brand burger that you’ve probably got Instagram ads for.

they also did the decks for the teen choice awards.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #547 on: September 07, 2020, 06:55:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m pretty sure they wood for willys workshop and finesse, but I haven’t confirmed. I really like finesse boards

They do a lot of shops. They do the current blueprint logo stuff, Death, premium, selfish(which is still a thing in Asia) and some red dragon stuff. they do that brand burger that you’ve probably got Instagram ads for.

Where have you been seeing Selfish in Asia? I only saw a few on clearance on TGM.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #548 on: September 07, 2020, 08:01:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Where have you been seeing Selfish in Asia? I only saw a few on clearance on TGM.

https://imgur.com/a/QJNraxa

I see them on the wall in pictures from random shops not in the US whenever I’m going on an Instagram
Dig. I assume someone bought the rights to the brand and all it’s graphics and that’s how they also ended up on TGM

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #549 on: September 07, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I see them on the wall in pictures from random shops not in the US whenever I’m going on an Instagram
Dig. I assume someone bought the rights to the brand and all it’s graphics and that’s how they also ended up on TGM

Probably right on the first one with someone buying the rights to Selfish, the Chinese translate to "Freedom Center 4-Wheeled Car". The TGM ones are old Wenning and Jeremy Rogers models so ancient stock.

https://tgmskateboards.com/skateboards-longboard/skateboards/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=371

The Wenning and J Cassanova boards don't look horrible
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #550 on: September 07, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

im looking for some bedtime reading!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #551 on: September 08, 2020, 02:37:16 AM »

Where did you get your information from regarding Chapman not pressing boards anymore? My buddy is starting to go through them for boards, but this information has not been brought up. Everything on the site still has manufactured in the U.S by Chapman.

I couldn't tell you exactly where I first learned it, but it's more or less common knowledge (or maybe 'open secret' is more accurate) for people who are woodshop nerds. Chapman used to use a woodshop in Maine but it closed down a few years back and they started using ASF blanks. The boards even come with the asf/clutch shape code stamps. Doesn't mean they're bad, I think they're better than the old Chapman wood personally.

"Manufactured" is kinda subjective I suppose.. They are still taking the deck and printing the graphic and wrapping it, which is more or less what they've always done, all that's changed is the woodshop that ships the boards to them. If it still says that then I'm not sure if they're being purposely ambiguous about it or just never updated the website.

FYI this business model is pretty common these days... There's at least a half dozen or so places in the US that do the "import blanks/print/wrap/ship" thing. The only US woodshops still operating I'm aware of are South Central, Watson, Drifter, Pennswood, Prime, and some smaller places like legend and customskateboards.com. Quincy shut down last year and were supposedly moving to a new location and coming back early this year (according to an email conversation I had with the owner) but that still hasn't happened and I'm not sure if it ever will.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: September 08, 2020, 05:28:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably right on the first one with someone buying the rights to Selfish, the Chinese translate to "Freedom Center 4-Wheeled Car". The TGM ones are old Wenning and Jeremy Rogers models so ancient stock.

https://tgmskateboards.com/skateboards-longboard/skateboards/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=371

The Wenning and J Cassanova boards don't look horrible

my understanding is, if there are transfers lying around those can be sold and printed. I saw it happen with Given.

I saw the eBay post of someone selling a bunch of given transfers and I saw the local dude whose “brand” bought them, and got them printed, then saw the shit he got from friends of emeric pratt, when he was selling them.

My guess would be TGM ask the wood shop, what Crap do they have taking up space and can you throw it on a deck for cheap. But again that’s just a guess.

chpsk8

• Rep: -3
« Reply #553 on: September 15, 2020, 09:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the info. My buddy contacted them and asked if they still manufacture, or if they are getting them from clutch. The response he got was "we partnered with ASF last year....".

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #554 on: September 16, 2020, 05:09:38 AM »
Does PS Stix still do Toy Machine pro boards?

Just picked one up, 8.25 14.175 31.8ish. I'm hearing PS go soggy and razor quick. Surely nothing can razor tail as quickly as my Primitive deck did.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2020, 06:15:19 AM »

Just picked one up, 8.25 14.175 31.8ish. I'm hearing PS go soggy and razor quick. Surely nothing can razor tail as quickly as my Primitive deck did.
does it have a lazer-engraved "PSXXXXXXX" production number at the top front truck holes?  If not, it's not PS Stix.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
has anyone (*cough*buttfart?*cough*) taken note of  what bonding method for plys each presser uses? I feel like epoxy being a fairly hard resin would completely change the feel of the wood, as opposed to other glues that don’t harden as much? just a shower thought. I feel like I once heard PS say he hates epoxy? can’t remember
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:38:36 PM by weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »
Has anyone here had issues with companies giving out information as to where they press their boards?

I just asked a local company and they said the information was "confidential business propriety". Then gave some marketing spiel like "our boards are made where some of the most renowned companies produce boards at the highest level" etc.

🙄

I mean, some renowned companies use shit factories. I’ve never heard of a non disclosure for a factory.

Damoforce

« Reply #558 on: September 16, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
does it have a lazer-engraved "PSXXXXXXX" production number at the top front truck holes?  If not, it's not PS Stix.

Nah, didn't have the PS on it. Do PS do that with every brand they do?
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Junglist

« Reply #559 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:58 PM »

Yo what deck is this, those dimensions seem ideal.
And same concave as old toy machine boards?

Damoforce

« Reply #560 on: September 16, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yo what deck is this, those dimensions seem ideal.
And same concave as old toy machine boards?

I've never had any of the old Toy Machines. Its the Leo RomeroNihon  and from looking at it again, it's 14wb

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #561 on: September 16, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
Toy Machine i found in the shop my area here made in china (DSM?)

Damoforce

« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »
Does anyone know what woodshop does those China Toy Machines? As their junk, snapped one in 3 days. My primitive may of razor tailed in 3 days but never snapped or pressure cracked.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2020, 09:15:52 PM »
Expand Quote
All the stuff from Otaku’s 2017 Thread.

Expand Quote
I know there is already a woodshop thread, but this seems like it could be helpful. I'll try to keep it updated, so feel free to contribute or correct, plus I cant remember any from pennswood or SC... I know scum.co is in there somewhere?

edit: I'll put an asterisk* beside companies using 2 or more

Dailan Huahong(China):
Chocolate
Girl
Toy Machine*(NA: price-point, EU: Pro Boards etc.)
Foundation?
Alien Workshop* (Euro/price point boards?)
Plan B* (Euro/price point boards?)
Element* (Euro/price point boards?)

[close]
[close]

Been seeing a lot of Girl and Toy Machine logo boards from the same couple of sellers on Aliexpress. There are probably 100s of woodshops in China supplying to the local market. I think someone on this thread mentioned hat Maxallure was done by PGI, another China woodshop of better quality than the regular stuff coming out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Damoforce

« Reply #564 on: September 17, 2020, 10:13:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All the stuff from Otaku’s 2017 Thread.

Expand Quote
I know there is already a woodshop thread, but this seems like it could be helpful. I'll try to keep it updated, so feel free to contribute or correct, plus I cant remember any from pennswood or SC... I know scum.co is in there somewhere?

edit: I'll put an asterisk* beside companies using 2 or more

Dailan Huahong(China):
Chocolate
Girl
Toy Machine*(NA: price-point, EU: Pro Boards etc.)
Foundation?
Alien Workshop* (Euro/price point boards?)
Plan B* (Euro/price point boards?)
Element* (Euro/price point boards?)

[close]
[close]
[close]

Been seeing a lot of Girl and Toy Machine logo boards from the same couple of sellers on Aliexpress. There are probably 100s of woodshops in China supplying to the local market. I think someone on this thread mentioned hat Maxallure was done by PGI, another China woodshop of better quality than the regular stuff coming out.

That puts no confidence in me to by a Girl or Chocolate to ride. As I like the 14 to 14.25 wb on the mellower side. The Toy Machine I rode is a pro model. I'm down here in Australia.

Back to the drawing board, thanks. Just such a shame 3 day life of a deck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2020, 11:04:10 PM »
Logo usually means price point....so it's at your own risk.....

Girl 2017 is not the same as Girl 2020...it's still China...but better China....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2020, 11:56:10 PM »

Girl 2017 is not the same as Girl 2020...it's still China...but better China....

A friend who rides exclusively Crail wood has had bad luck all around, the 2020 Girl deck he just setup lasted 2 hours of flatground skating before snapping over the trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #567 on: September 23, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »
It seems that Isle is currently done by HLC since generator is not able to deliver enough product for all the brands.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #568 on: September 23, 2020, 10:17:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A friend who rides exclusively Crail wood has had bad luck all around, the 2020 Girl deck he just setup lasted 2 hours of flatground skating before snapping over the trucks.
I skated my Girl board 1,5months this summer while my homie went thru 3 ps stix boards in same time,all of them snapped behind back truck🙄
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Novelty

« Reply #569 on: September 23, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
I'm on a recent Toy Machine logo deck (China wood), and it has the steepest concave and kicks I've ever skated. Not the best for me, but might work well for anyone looking for a leg burner.