Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 113680 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #960 on: January 13, 2021, 05:14:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

anyone recognize this shop?

Edit:
after some sleuthing, it looks like it's a control board. Anyone got opinions on control?
[close]

I would not ride anything pressed at Control even if it was free. Some people like them though.
[close]

Why no control?

@TwisT pretty flat, that’s why I liked it. Mine were stiff, stayed that way. I prefer a little more flex like ps, but I’d skate em again. Studio is control, ya? Man their graphics are so sick. Another company that I should buy from
[close]

I've never held one/stood on one I like the feel of. It's a shame because I agree Studio is sick and I like a lot of their graphics. Now, I've never personally skated a Control since I haven't found one I like, but I've heard a fair bit of bad feedback from people who have tried them. The most common complaint is that they are soggy from the get go.

I don’t think I’d call mine soggy....I tap boards on the ground to kinda ‘gauge’ (just total bs on my part) the pop of the board. Obviously I’m also checking it via, you know, actually attempting tricks and what not, but a quick tap on the ground is gonna happen, often. Anyways, the control boards sounded the same, good solid sound, sounded better than they went tho. If any of that drivel I subject whomever to makes sense. Wasn’t terrible, durable, lasted, wasn’t amazing.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #961 on: January 13, 2021, 06:58:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit:
after some sleuthing, it looks like it's a control board. Anyone got opinions on control?
[close]

I would not ride anything pressed at Control even if it was free. Some people like them though.
[close]

Why no control?

@TwisT pretty flat, that’s why I liked it. Mine were stiff, stayed that way. I prefer a little more flex like ps, but I’d skate em again. Studio is control, ya? Man their graphics are so sick. Another company that I should buy from
[close]

I've never held one/stood on one I like the feel of. It's a shame because I agree Studio is sick and I like a lot of their graphics. Now, I've never personally skated a Control since I haven't found one I like, but I've heard a fair bit of bad feedback from people who have tried them. The most common complaint is that they are soggy from the get go.
[close]

I don’t think I’d call mine soggy....I tap boards on the ground to kinda ‘gauge’ (just total bs on my part) the pop of the board. Obviously I’m also checking it via, you know, actually attempting tricks and what not, but a quick tap on the ground is gonna happen, often. Anyways, the control boards sounded the same, good solid sound, sounded better than they went tho. If any of that drivel I subject whomever to makes sense. Wasn’t terrible, durable, lasted, wasn’t amazing.

This is actually one of the new “Canadian made” moose decks from TGM. I bought a moose deck last year to keep with family up north. It had Made in China sticker and it felt dead on arrival. I bought this just test some diy heat transfers, and immediately noticed it was different wood.

I’d say it has mellow concave but the kicks are the same as this dlx board I have. I also weighed the boards. The blank is 2lbs 15oz. The dlx is 2lbs 12oz. I doubt that makes any difference.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #962 on: January 13, 2021, 07:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Edit:
[close]

[close]

Why no control?

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is actually one of the new “Canadian made” moose decks from TGM. I bought a moose deck last year to keep with family up north. It had Made in China sticker and it felt dead on arrival. I bought this just test some diy heat transfers, and immediately noticed it was different wood.

I’d say it has mellow concave but the kicks are the same as this dlx board I have. I also weighed the boards. The blank is 2lbs 15oz. The dlx is 2lbs 12oz. I doubt that makes any difference.

Interesting to hear "same kicks as DLX board" as it seems they are almost the pinacle of what a good board should feel like with concave and kicks, to some people at least.  I have seen two different DIY board press molds built from taking a DLX board (clearly see the graphics, or even say "This is a Real board" in the post) so I would imagine others including some of the bigger woodshops would be looking at that and making board molds to those concave specs too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: January 13, 2021, 07:27:54 PM »
Also, what is it called when you round off the edge of a skateboard? Routing? I feel like a lot of these smaller wood shop never round of the edges as much as bbs. It makes their boards look thicker. That’s why I weighed it.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #964 on: January 13, 2021, 11:14:14 PM »
I disagree about the kicks.....to me they are flat, not steep but sudden, not a lot of curve to it....for some reason they remind me more of crail?  The most common trait is they are both on the mellow side....

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #965 on: January 14, 2021, 02:16:37 AM »
Does anyone know what woodshop those Shorties decks use?

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #966 on: January 14, 2021, 02:26:22 AM »
the muska reissue boards are prime if im not mistaken

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #967 on: January 14, 2021, 03:03:55 AM »
Thanks for the fast answer!

Also if anyone have experiences with prime wood, would love to hear

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #968 on: January 14, 2021, 03:29:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks for the fast answer!

Also if anyone have experiences with prime wood, would love to hear

Not bad, not great. I've only skated the blanks so maybe the pro decks are better but I wasn't impressed with them.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #969 on: January 17, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit:
[close]

[close]

Why no control?

[close]

I just got a new Studio deck and man, am I bummed. Skated it 3 times so far, just flat ground and low ledge stuff, and it's got massive chips and cracks all over it. Bummed because the graphic is rad but the deck quality is terrible.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #970 on: January 21, 2021, 09:24:02 AM »
Does anyone know for certain where Zero boards (specifically the classic graphics like this one) are currently pressed? I thought for sure they were BBS but this one doesn’t have the usual made in Mexico/skate at your own risk sticker. It does have an etching for the width, but no other stickers or markings.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #971 on: January 21, 2021, 05:20:36 PM »
Does anyone know for certain where Zero boards (specifically the classic graphics like this one) are currently pressed? I thought for sure they were BBS but this one doesn’t have the usual made in Mexico/skate at your own risk sticker. It does have an etching for the width, but no other stickers or markings.

I have been looking around and it would seem that Zero is one of the companies that has different boards for different parts of the world.  I had thought in the US they are BBS now, maybe the same at other places and seems our local ones here in Australia, or at least some are still Dwindle (clearly have the Dwindle markings as per insta post I will put up) but this is usually the same as the Baker Boys stamp, on Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, etc so I would be thinking it would be BBS, but would have to feel the concave to know - does it feel more spoon shaped in the kicks, or if you have one of those boards or anything BBS does it feel like that?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKQjiDXAwNH/

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #972 on: January 21, 2021, 07:05:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have been looking around and it would seem that Zero is one of the companies that has different boards for different parts of the world.  I had thought in the US they are BBS now, maybe the same at other places and seems our local ones here in Australia, or at least some are still Dwindle (clearly have the Dwindle markings as per insta post I will put up) but this is usually the same as the Baker Boys stamp, on Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, etc so I would be thinking it would be BBS, but would have to feel the concave to know - does it feel more spoon shaped in the kicks, or if you have one of those boards or anything BBS does it feel like that?

Right now I’m skating an 8.25 x 32.125 Black Label and the shape and feel does seems quite similar but off the bat I think the Zero is a tad bit steeper concave wise. Of course that could be due to where they are in the press stack and the mold used. I suppose it’s pretty safe to say this board came out of BBS.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #973 on: January 21, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »

Right now I’m skating an 8.25 x 32.125 Black Label and the shape and feel does seems quite similar but off the bat I think the Zero is a tad bit steeper concave wise. Of course that could be due to where they are in the press stack and the mold used. I suppose it’s pretty safe to say this board came out of BBS.

The Black Label boards I had recently were on the mellow side, so that sounds about right.

I think too with covid, some of the boards that might be allocated to one distributor or specific brand have been reallocated to another, just to get the boards out there, as per a Real I just picked up without a number pressed on it, but any which way it is the good wood.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #974 on: January 21, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I'm not wrong the DSM ones could be leftover inventory from when they were still pressing in China. I don't keep up with their brands and graphics much but late-2020 I think they went back to Mexico, just before Chris Cole got back on the team.

https://zeroskateboards.com/pages/d3-2020

Around my neck of the woods I've seen boards from this series with the DSM cut-out and the laser etching.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #975 on: January 22, 2021, 08:29:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If I'm not wrong the DSM ones could be leftover inventory from when they were still pressing in China. I don't keep up with their brands and graphics much but late-2020 I think they went back to Mexico, just before Chris Cole got back on the team.

Around my neck of the woods I've seen boards from this series with the DSM cut-out and the laser etching.
It's not uncommon for companies to get dwindle or other Chinese made boards for the markets outside North America.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #976 on: January 22, 2021, 08:59:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
It's not uncommon for companies to get dwindle or other Chinese made boards for the markets outside North America.

That one was the first non stock pic from shops I have seen of the top of the Zero boards, everything else just being generic shape of board with wood grain and zero logo or something, but the wood grain was the same throughout all the boards, so I knew it was just the art version.

Still yet to see any others in shops though, so I don't know if it is some or old stock or what here in Australia.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #977 on: January 23, 2021, 08:44:56 AM »
anyone know where to find dims on magenta boards? they were too cool to include anything but width on their site
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #978 on: January 23, 2021, 08:52:35 AM »
anyone know where to find dims on magenta boards? they were too cool to include anything but width on their site

The 7.875 I bought actually came in at just over 8

With the small wheel base didn't really do it for me either. I was expecting 14.25

Anyway my point is I wouldn't put much stock in the dims they do provide
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #979 on: January 23, 2021, 09:01:56 AM »

https://www.tactics.com/magenta/skateboard-decks

What size are you looking to ride? I had an 8.125 that followed Ben Degros' / Tactics Generator dimensions.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/leisure-league-series-skateboard-deck/ping-pong
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #980 on: January 23, 2021, 09:28:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What size are you looking to ride? I had an 8.125 that followed Ben Degros' / Tactics Generator dimensions.

8.5 and up
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #981 on: January 23, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
8.5 and up
Team Wood Deck
8.8''
14.875'' WB

Could only find this
https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/team-wood-skateboard-deck-8-8-p49566

Magenta Nils Inne Guest Artist Skateboard Deck Features:
Nils Inne Guest Artist Deck
8.6'' x 32.3''
14.75'' WB

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #982 on: January 23, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
besides baker/deathwish anyone know of any 8.25 x 31.5 ?

asbestos

• Rep: 11
« Reply #983 on: January 23, 2021, 11:14:40 AM »
edit: palace makes 8.25 x 31.5 - 14wb
i dont know any with those exact measurements but these are pretty close:
primitive makes 8.25 x 31.75 - 14 wb
anti hero makes 8.12 x 31.38 - 14 wb
the anti hero is one of my favourites, its really short.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:38:23 AM by asbestos »

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #984 on: January 23, 2021, 07:32:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Girl and chocolate make pretty similar specs too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: January 23, 2021, 07:36:59 PM »

Magenta were much the same as Passport, and the 8.5 was short (too short for me) at about 32, some listed as 31.9 with 14.375 wheelbase, which is about right for the one I had in the shop a while back.

Another place has longer dimensions on other boards

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/magenta-gore-dreamer-8-5-deck-black_p139592

width: 8.5"
length: 32.25"
wheelbase: 14.5"
nose: 7.125"
tail: 6.625"

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #986 on: January 23, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hopefully I remember about that 8.12 ah when the time comes for another deck. The sizing follows the same ratio as 7.75 on 5.0: .12-.15 overhang. It’s also the limit of what my personal skating does ok with, once I go past 8” truck, no good comes of it.
Thanks for the reminder

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #987 on: January 24, 2021, 02:32:38 AM »

Still BBS. Sometimes they run out of stickers or just forget them. The width stamp thing is something they've been doing more often. I've seen it on birdhouse and deathwish decks too.

This is my preferred dims so I could ramble on forever but I'll try to keep it simple. Do you have a preferred wb or concave? Also note that the baker 8.25 ia actually 31.8, however the birdhouse 8.25 is 31.5 and a better shape than baker in my opinion.

14" wb options

- Blood Wizard has a good 31.6 shape thats very flat.
- If you can get ahold of one, the strangelove heart skull 8.25 shape is between 31.3-31.5
- as someone else noted palace, evisen, and colours have a 31.5, i think its a stock dsm shape..never skated one so cant comment

14.25 wb (lots of ps stix)

-  old WKND (like before mid 2019 or so) is probably my favorite 8.25 x 31.5. Its got a nice tail and a huge nose. If you somehow find one of these buy it. If you hate it ill buy it off you.
- some PS Foundations are 31.5, theres also a 14 wb one but i haven't seen one for a minute. Flat and mellow. Great shape.
- clutch O shape is nominally 31.6 but the two ive had were both closer to 31.5. Medium concave, medium tail, slightly steeper big square nose. Easy to find and very good alternative to hockey/wknd/snack style decks. Coda uses this shape and I suspect the newest run of pizza is all clutch O but I haven't confirmed yet.
- some older PS FA/hockey 8.25 are 31.5, again hard to find now but great shape

Toy machine/Foundation has a mellow PS shape thats supposedly 31.5 with a 14.5 wb, but the one I got was more like 31.75. Its also becoming harder to find PS tumyeto boards (unless the latest run which i haven't seen are back on it) and I have no idea what the new ones are, only that they're china wood.

I'm probably forgetting some but this should get you started. Keep in mind that some PS boards are measured with concave so their tip to tip length will be like a half inch shorter. For example quasi 8.25 is listed as 32.125 but its actually 31.75 tip to tip. If any of these look good to you and you're having trouble finding one shoot me a PM. Any time I come across a short 8.25 I bookmark it, so I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #988 on: January 24, 2021, 06:51:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw some Baker boards in the shop, they come with the deck with punch over the front mounting holes
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #989 on: January 24, 2021, 07:23:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Still BBS. Sometimes they run out of stickers or just forget them. The width stamp thing is something they've been doing more often. I've seen it on birdhouse and deathwish decks too.

Expand Quote
[close]

This is my preferred dims so I could ramble on forever but I'll try to keep it simple. Do you have a preferred wb or concave? Also note that the baker 8.25 ia actually 31.8, however the birdhouse 8.25 is 31.5 and a better shape than baker in my opinion.

14" wb options

- Blood Wizard has a good 31.6 shape thats very flat.
- If you can get ahold of one, the strangelove heart skull 8.25 shape is between 31.3-31.5
- as someone else noted palace, evisen, and colours have a 31.5, i think its a stock dsm shape..never skated one so cant comment

14.25 wb (lots of ps stix)

-  old WKND (like before mid 2019 or so) is probably my favorite 8.25 x 31.5. Its got a nice tail and a huge nose. If you somehow find one of these buy it. If you hate it ill buy it off you.
- some PS Foundations are 31.5, theres also a 14 wb one but i haven't seen one for a minute. Flat and mellow. Great shape.
- clutch O shape is nominally 31.6 but the two ive had were both closer to 31.5. Medium concave, medium tail, slightly steeper big square nose. Easy to find and very good alternative to hockey/wknd/snack style decks. Coda uses this shape and I suspect the newest run of pizza is all clutch O but I haven't confirmed yet.
- some older PS FA/hockey 8.25 are 31.5, again hard to find now but great shape

Toy machine/Foundation has a mellow PS shape thats supposedly 31.5 with a 14.5 wb, but the one I got was more like 31.75. Its also becoming harder to find PS tumyeto boards (unless the latest run which i haven't seen are back on it) and I have no idea what the new ones are, only that they're china wood.

I'm probably forgetting some but this should get you started. Keep in mind that some PS boards are measured with concave so their tip to tip length will be like a half inch shorter. For example quasi 8.25 is listed as 32.125 but its actually 31.75 tip to tip. If any of these look good to you and you're having trouble finding one shoot me a PM. Any time I come across a short 8.25 I bookmark it, so I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

cheers man! my buddy has a palace that is nice and short but everyone scoops them up too fast its like a damn dunk. in a perfect world I can find one with the squarish shape of the fa's I've been skating but im down to ditch the square for a better feel plus im short and some of these boards are too long. thanks for the help!