Author Topic: Quasi?  (Read 42950 times)

Spaced Cadet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 113
Re: Quasi?
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2021, 04:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The new Dane Barker decks are BBS. Since PS Stix measures with concave and BBS measures straight across, someone should measure a PS Stix and BBS quasi side by side to see if the PS Stix measures slightly smaller straight across. I had a PS Stix 8.25 proto with decent concave last year and it was clearly smaller measured straight across than an FA 8.25 I also had.

Assuming shape is same would be interesting if an 8.25 BBS quasi feels slightly bigger due to woodshop measuring differences.
[close]

Just got an 8.38 and 8.25 Dane pro model. They are BBS and the measure true to size with no visible taper. They measure 8.38 and 8.25 all the way nose to tail. The 8.38 PS Stix Quasi I have is 8.38 in the center but tapers off towards the ends. They seem like standard BBS shapes.
[close]

are the noses still square ish/ thumb ish?

Hoping GX sticks with PS

Doesn't look as squarish as FA. Pretty rounded and similar to the PS Quasi.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Really bummed if they will all be BBS from now on. Quasi have been pretty popular and easy to get around here but after this the only available PS Stix will be GX1000.

I liked the shape of FA except for the nose being way too steep but it also felt too stiff and hard to me which is why I prefer PSs
[close]
Really hoping the new proto boards aren’t bbs and hoping this to be a one time thing. Just ordered one from the garageskate shop sale.
Wknd also use ps stix. Not sure where you’re located but Snack is also ps stix and they use the same 8.5 square shaped board as quasi

The snack boards I’ve seen have been very square, large nose.
And often with shorter wb

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2021, 09:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Really bummed if they will all be BBS from now on. Quasi have been pretty popular and easy to get around here but after this the only available PS Stix will be GX1000.

I liked the shape of FA except for the nose being way too steep but it also felt too stiff and hard to me which is why I prefer PSs
[close]
Really hoping the new proto boards aren’t bbs and hoping this to be a one time thing. Just ordered one from the garageskate shop sale.
Wknd also use ps stix. Not sure where you’re located but Snack is also ps stix and they use the same 8.5 square shaped board as quasi
[close]

I had one of their 8.5 with the 14.25 wheelbase and it looks like that same shape quasi, gx and scumco(a couple runs ago) use. Just ordered another snack greetings from San Fran deck in 8.5 too so I’ll report back when I get it

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2021, 12:12:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
I had one of their 8.5 with the 14.25 wheelbase and it looks like that same shape quasi, gx and scumco(a couple runs ago) use. Just ordered another snack greetings from San Fran deck in 8.5 too so I’ll report back when I get it

Yeah those greetings decks look cool, always.
I fucked up, heavy, by not getting the hypnotized minds board.

skatesum609

« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2021, 12:31:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah those greetings decks look cool, always.
I fucked up, heavy, by not getting the hypnotized minds board.
The seeing the sights board is on sale for like 45 bucks from garage right now

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2022, 07:19:02 PM »
How does the proto 2 skate? Was thinking of getting the 8.5, I read this whole thread and it seems some people say it’s really flat and others don’t. Never skated a quasi before. I’ve really never skated a square-ish tail before and I’m worried I’ll hate it but wanna try
something new

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2022, 07:49:19 PM »
How does the proto 2 skate? Was thinking of getting the 8.5, I read this whole thread and it seems some people say it’s really flat and others don’t. Never skated a quasi before. I’ve really never skated a square-ish tail before and I’m worried I’ll hate it but wanna try
something new

Are you able to go into a shop to look at it and stand on it first?

That would be the main thing I would think of to help, but really they are a pretty standard size and shape, going by the pics and info from places I looked up.  Seems pretty nomal PS Stix type of board, so if you have had a PS Stix in the last five years, it would be pretty much the same as that, most common other brands being WKND, GX1000 and older Plan B boards.

Woodshop thread here, if you hadn't checked the full list:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

These were the dimensions on that listing too:

• Width 8.5”
• Length 31.75”
• Wheelbase 14.25”
• Concave Medium

LebowskisRug

« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2022, 07:59:22 PM »
I’ve skated 3 8.25 protos and I found them flatter than normal Quasis. That shape tapered slightly to 8” at the rear and has a pretty short tail.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2022, 08:04:53 PM »
I’ve skated 3 8.25 protos and I found them flatter than normal Quasis. That shape tapered slightly to 8” at the rear and has a pretty short tail.

I feel like PS Stix in general has the slightly more mellow, tapered shape and short tails, but I know some of the PS Stix boards I have had a skate or stand on were the opposite, but that is only a few and most were the usual shapes and feels as noted.

Did you have any bigger than 8.25 though?

At least if you have had a few of any size, you would know so it is good that you are able to assist with info.  :)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2022, 08:08:59 PM »

In case it hadn't been mentioned earlier, PS Stix is often measured with the concave, so when their official listing shows it as 32.25 long it is actually more like 31.75 long.

That is why the listing I put up above had those dimensions, rather than the listings on Skate Warehouse or similar sites that just go by what they are given on the spec sheet.

At least you can see top, bottom and side views here too:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Quasi_Proto_Two_Assorted_Deck/descpage-QUPR2ADK.html

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2022, 10:41:28 PM »
something new

Been skating it for 2 months now and I also had the Jake Johnson 8.5 just before this deck

Proto 2 is a flatter shape with a fuller tail it seems. I prefer the nose on the regular Quasi 8.5 and the tail on the Proto 2 8.5. The Proto 2 has less of a taper down the deck which I prefer. The measurements are the same but Proto 2 is slightly shorter in length and wheelbase

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2022, 07:23:20 AM »
Hold up... Quasi switched to BBS? This makes me want to try 'em again. Love the graphics, have found the shapes to be slightly odd, but more importantly have found them to get soggy faster than a BBS stick

LebowskisRug

« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2022, 07:44:47 AM »
Not for all graphics right now only the Dane Barker and in March they will do a few more BBS decks

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2022, 03:04:23 PM »

Re PS Stix to BBS

Definitely check the tops first, as there will probably be some period of change over and if anyone is still sitting on or holding old stock, I am thinking things are going to get a bit confusing for a while.

Easiest way to see is that PS Stix always has the serial number on top between the front bolts, whereas BBS does not, regardless of the other laser imaging or text.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2022, 02:17:17 AM »
Does anyone know if the Acid Ply decks have the same shape as the Proto decks?

Tactics.com categorizes the Proto decks as "Shaped Decks", and Acid Ply as "Popsicle". Could easily just be some bad database stuff, but just want to make sure.

I want to get the 8.375 Acid Ply deck but not if its a standard popsicle shape.

Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2022, 04:48:25 AM »
Does anyone know if the Acid Ply decks have the same shape as the Proto decks?

Tactics.com categorizes the Proto decks as "Shaped Decks", and Acid Ply as "Popsicle". Could easily just be some bad database stuff, but just want to make sure.

I want to get the 8.375 Acid Ply deck but not if its a standard popsicle shape.

I thought they were all about the same standard popsicle shape really, given PS Stix do have more of a blunt kick to them, but from looking up pics of the Proto and the Acid Ply, they appear to be the same shapes for the same size decks.

They are the same dimensions listed, but PS Stix boards are always shorter.

Does this one appeal to your taste for a shaped board?

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2022, 04:56:30 AM »

I thought they were all about the same standard popsicle shape really, given PS Stix do have more of a blunt kick to them, but from looking up pics of the Proto and the Acid Ply, they appear to be the same shapes for the same size decks.

I think I really dig the nose shape, and possibly the tail shape too? However, the thing that is letting me down is the way mellow concave in the middle of the board.

I'm starting to lean towards grabbing a Hopps board, but not sure yet. Seems to be a bit mellow in the middle too, but I really like the dip between the bolts and the ends. I stood on both at the skate shop, and I was intrigued by both.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2022, 05:17:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think I really dig the nose shape, and possibly the tail shape too? However, the thing that is letting me down is the way mellow concave in the middle of the board.

I'm starting to lean towards grabbing a Hopps board, but not sure yet. Seems to be a bit mellow in the middle too, but I really like the dip between the bolts and the ends. I stood on both at the skate shop, and I was intrigued by both.

Between BBS concave, which is a mix of mellow to medium concave and is a lot more spoon like in the kicks, compared to PS Stix, which is often more mellow all round, but fairly flat faced kicks, different people find different things work for them.

Even between two boards from the same brand, same size, etc, one could be from the top of the press which is steeper and one could be from the bottom of the press which is more mellow as well.

Definitely helps going in to a shop and being able to stand on boards though, which is what I always recommended with anyone in any shop I have worked in or been in.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2022, 07:41:00 AM »
For what it's worth, last year I skated the Quasi PLY 8.62, Snack 8.62, AH 8.62, and Alltimers 8.6

Quasi was mellow. Snack was more square than the quasi with longer wb and kinda mellow. AH was the thickest/stiffest. Alltimers was the most tapered. All skated great; the Quasi/Snack thinner and more bendy/springy; the AH/Alltimers more stiff/snappy.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2022, 08:26:42 PM »
For what it's worth, last year I skated the Quasi PLY 8.62, Snack 8.62, AH 8.62, and Alltimers 8.6

Quasi was mellow. Snack was more square than the quasi with longer wb and kinda mellow. AH was the thickest/stiffest. Alltimers was the most tapered. All skated great; the Quasi/Snack thinner and more bendy/springy; the AH/Alltimers more stiff/snappy.

That definitely sounds true to what I have heard and seen too.

I guess that is also why some people prefer PS Stix and some prefer BBS or other woodshops.

Just a curious thing if they are changing everything to BBS in future runs though.

skatesum609

« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2022, 06:56:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess that is also why some people prefer PS Stix and some prefer BBS or other woodshops.

Just a curious thing if they are changing everything to BBS in future runs though.
I DMd them like a man a while ago and they said it was just for that Dane board and they weren’t switching everything to bbs

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I DMd them like a man a while ago and they said it was just for that Dane board and they weren’t switching everything to bbs

That should make most of the Quasi + PS Stix keepers happy then.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2022, 10:33:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just adds to the madness!

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2022, 08:54:58 AM »
I’ve had one session on my new Bledsoe 8.5. I wanted to try the longer wheelbase 8.5 after skating the JJ 8.5 and the Proto 2 8.5, both which had 14.25 (or slightly shorter) wheelbases

The biggest difference I’ve noticed is that my previous 2 Quasi 8.5s were tapered from nose to tail, with 8.5 on the nose and 8.38 at the tail. This new one is also about an inch longer and with symmetrical nose and tail lengths (not steepness)

This new 8.5 is 8.38 at both nose and tail and 8.5 in the middle, with a slight football shape going on

Anyone else ever get the 8.5x33x14.5?

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2022, 08:55:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yay!!

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2022, 10:05:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yay!!
Ew. I don't know how you guys skate those soggy ps quasis. The rality of the situation is that ps stix sucks after 2 sessions.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2022, 10:16:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yay!!
[close]
Ew. I don't know how you guys skate those soggy ps quasis. The rality of the situation is that ps stix sucks after 2 sessions.

"rality" .... that's a new word

Been skating my PS Stix Quasi for 2 months & it still pops like it's new, that's the reality of the situation

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2022, 10:17:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yay!!
[close]

My rality is different from your rality

(I heart ps, a lot. The quality control is not ideal. Skating a quasi now. Need another stat).

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #208 on: April 04, 2022, 06:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yay!!
[close]
[close]

My rality is different from your rality

(I heart ps, a lot. The quality control is not ideal. Skating a quasi now. Need another stat).

Haha, you nailed it - everyone’s rality is different. I just think that BBS is so ubiquitous at this point, it’s just nice to have a top brand that is sticking with PS (and yes, I’m a big PS fan - thinner plys, mellow concave, and color ply top/middle/bottom ie the proper way ;D). Of course BBS is a great product with mass production, that’s why they’ve taken over the market, including shop boards/blanks. And that’s also why I like PS and I’m so glad quasi is sticking with them. Quasi is the last of the AWS brands (Alien/Habitat, FA/Hockey) to stay with PS, and that’s a bit of history that I hope doesn’t go away anytime soon. Just set up a 8.75 quasi for fun, with 5.8 standards and 54s - and it’s kinda magic, loving it.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2022, 06:34:50 AM »
I like the current wood at Crailtap but they would be the perfect brand for PS Stix. Mellow shapes and light.