Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 120699 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2010 on: October 12, 2021, 07:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Had a regretful purchase of some 5.6ís last night. Got home and realized I actually like the width of my 5.8ís and how ground down they are already. Btw, anyone curious about running Ace bushings in their Ventureís, the bottom and top bushings are too tall, and the top one sits funky itís like too wide, sticking with my supercushís theyíre perfect. Also, all new Venture standards come with black axle and kingpin nuts along with the bushing washers now (yuck). But thatís a good way to know you have the latest batch of alum.
[close]
Just like Thunder standards.
[close]

The number of people who swapped out the full gold set of nuts and washers from Ventures was astounding, from back when everything was gold.

I still have way too many spares of those floating around.

Adversely speaking I noticed a few sets of Thunder 148 standards with plain silver hardware yesterday. Odd move to do black on the Venture when I think most would prefer plain silver on both brands.

joaqp

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2011 on: October 12, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »

When I was experimenting with smaller boards I tried an 8 x 31.5 x 14.25 baker with 5.2 highs and couldnít do it. The pop just felt too hefty n weird for me.
Coincidentally, the baker 8.47 x 31.875 x 14.25 on 5.8s is my favorite combo ever, and what Iíve been rocking for a while now. The combo just makes the pop feel so good, the tail doesnít feel too light but doesnít feel too heavy either.
I remember trying 5.2 lows for a little bit as well but just couldnít get used to them. Was just too used to the highs. My timing just felt off. I switched back to the highs after just a few sessions.

If I'm not mistaken, this might be Kader's setup...

IpathCats

• Rep: -72
« Reply #2012 on: October 13, 2021, 06:34:28 AM »
Expand Quote

When I was experimenting with smaller boards I tried an 8 x 31.5 x 14.25 baker with 5.2 highs and couldnít do it. The pop just felt too hefty n weird for me.
Coincidentally, the baker 8.47 x 31.875 x 14.25 on 5.8s is my favorite combo ever, and what Iíve been rocking for a while now. The combo just makes the pop feel so good, the tail doesnít feel too light but doesnít feel too heavy either.
I remember trying 5.2 lows for a little bit as well but just couldnít get used to them. Was just too used to the highs. My timing just felt off. I switched back to the highs after just a few sessions.
[close]

If I'm not mistaken, this might be Kader's setup...

Think I remember reynolds saying kader skated 8.5 decks and 8.5 ventures, with 1/8" risers, and 60mm f4 classic shape. But he's switched up a lot, could've changed by now.
.....Nah

logjammin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2013 on: October 14, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »
Got my titaniums already and held a brand new 5.6 standard in one hand and 5.8 titanium in the other...these things are stupid light. Set them up and can't wait til it stops raining every fucking day here.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 413
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2014 on: October 14, 2021, 08:32:02 AM »
Iím about to become ďawakeĒ. Should be getting some V-hollow Lights 5.6 in the mail on the next day or soÖ Iíve been on Indys for a long time Iím not sure how bad the learning curve will be, but Iím excited to at least try something new. Last set of Ventures I had was over a decade agoÖ

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HyperBeam

• Rep: -52
« Reply #2015 on: October 14, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »
Iím about to become ďawakeĒ. Should be getting some V-hollow Lights 5.6 in the mail on the next day or soÖ Iíve been on Indys for a long time Iím not sure how bad the learning curve will be, but Iím excited to at least try something new. Last set of Ventures I had was over a decade agoÖ

There's no learning curve. these trucks go in a straight line

logjammin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2016 on: October 14, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only someone who is not AWAKE would say such an ignorant statement. Ventures turn plenty, just like any truck dial them in with differnent bushings if you don't vibe with the stocks. Top washer removal or flat is mandatory no matter what truck. That's the first step to success. Then after waxing the cups you're pretty much fully woke.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2017 on: October 14, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »
Honestly they donít really turn all that different, at least to me. Some people will tell you how different the turning feels but to me itís pretty damn similar (Iím talking about venture hiís compared to indys of course, not venture lows).

The real adjustment you might have to get used to is the pop feel that Ventures give vs. Indy, and the grind feel as well. If youíre used to the light pop feel that indys give then prepare for a rude awakening (pun intended) with ventures. They make it to where your tail feels a lot heavier to pop, which could be a bit of a bitch to get used to for flip tricks. Prepare for ghost pop and having to use a lot more effort when popping. For tricks that require a lot of ollie power though you might find that the heavier feeling pop is more beneficial cuz it makes getting a higher, floatier, more controlled ollie easier. I actually forgot how big of a difference the pop feel was from indys until recently when I stepped on a friends board who had the same exact board shape and dimensions and wheel size as me, the only difference was that he had indys on while I had ventures, and his tail felt light as fuck. Like, noticeably lighter to the point where flip tricks were a lot easier to get around but popping ollies felt super anemic so it was hard to get a higher more controlled ollie. I knew ventures made your tail feel heavier and indys make Ďem feel lighter but I didnít know it would be THAT noticeable, it was pretty crazy. Of course, Iím just speaking from my own personal experience, who knows, you might not have any ghost pop issues at all.

Also, ventures grind feels a bit more laggy for chunkier curbs. Ventures have like a real ďstop go stop goĒ grind feeling if that makes sense, like a more tuggy feeling grind, a grind you kinda got to tug through, while Indys tend to have a smoother feeling grind where you just glide all the way through with no tugs. Grinding something chunky with ventures might require more wax with ventures than with indys.

Also one more thing: if you ride more on the looser side then you might notice that ventures give you a more stable and comfortable feeling loose vs a more squirrelly and harder to control loose with indys.

Hope you like em tho! Keep this thread updated on how you end up feeling about them! Indys and ventures are my favorite trucks and I always find myself alternating between the two these days. They both have their pros n cons.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2018 on: October 14, 2021, 01:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Honestly they donít really turn all that different, at least to me. Some people will tell you how different the turning feels but to me itís pretty damn similar (Iím talking about venture hiís compared to indys of course, not venture lows).

The real adjustment you might have to get used to is the pop feel that Ventures give vs. Indy, and the grind feel as well. If youíre used to the light pop feel that indys give then prepare for a rude awakening (pun intended) with ventures. They make it to where your tail feels a lot heavier to pop, which could be a bit of a bitch to get used to for flip tricks. Prepare for ghost pop and having to use a lot more effort when popping. For tricks that require a lot of ollie power though you might find that the heavier feeling pop is more beneficial cuz it makes getting a higher, floatier, more controlled ollie easier. I actually forgot how big of a difference the pop feel was from indys until recently when I stepped on a friends board who had the same exact board shape and dimensions and wheel size as me, the only difference was that he had indys on while I had ventures, and his tail felt light as fuck. Like, noticeably lighter to the point where flip tricks were a lot easier to get around but popping ollies felt super anemic so it was hard to get a higher more controlled ollie. I knew ventures made your tail feel heavier and indys make Ďem feel lighter but I didnít know it would be THAT noticeable, it was pretty crazy. Of course, Iím just speaking from my own personal experience, who knows, you might not have any ghost pop issues at all.

Also, ventures grind feels a bit more laggy for chunkier curbs. Ventures have like a real ďstop go stop goĒ grind feeling if that makes sense, like a more tuggy feeling grind, a grind you kinda got to tug through, while Indys tend to have a smoother feeling grind where you just glide all the way through with no tugs. Grinding something chunky with ventures might require more wax with ventures than with indys.

Also one more thing: if you ride more on the looser side then you might notice that ventures give you a more stable and comfortable feeling loose vs a more squirrelly and harder to control loose with indys.

Hope you like em tho! Keep this thread updated on how you end up feeling about them! Indys and ventures are my favorite trucks and I always find myself alternating between the two these days. They both have their pros n cons.

Cheers man! I do believe the turn will be fineÖ Iíve been seeing videos of pros skating them and doesnít seem like they have any problem turning. They actually look somehow surfy from the footage Iím seeing. I did get the V-hollow lights, so hopefully the lighter truck makes up for the heavier pop. They are also a bit lower at 53.5mm, altho thatís the hight of my indy forged hollows. Tbh Iím just excited to try something newÖ if it doesnít work out Iíll try something else.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HumBoogie

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2019 on: October 14, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cheers man! I do believe the turn will be fineÖ Iíve been seeing videos of pros skating them and doesnít seem like they have any problem turning. They actually look somehow surfy from the footage Iím seeing. I did get the V-hollow lights, so hopefully the lighter truck makes up for the heavier pop. They are also a bit lower at 53.5mm, altho thatís the hight of my indy forged hollows. Tbh Iím just excited to try something newÖ if it doesnít work out Iíll try something else.
As long as you ride a shorter wheelbase deck like 14 to 14 25 the pop will feel perfect.

off

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #2020 on: October 14, 2021, 02:10:42 PM »
venture forged with have you at 52mm truck height. cast plates are 53.5mm
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2021 on: October 14, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
venture forged with have you at 52mm truck height. cast plates are 53.5mm
ah ok, thatís even better. I prefer that mid truck hight, feels snappier. I could swear Iíve seen somewhere that venture hiís are 55mm, but I must be trippiníÖ just went to skatedeluxe and they confirm what you said.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HyperBeam

• Rep: -52
« Reply #2022 on: October 14, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Only someone who is not AWAKE would say such an ignorant statement. Ventures turn plenty, just like any truck dial them in with differnent bushings if you don't vibe with the stocks. Top washer removal or flat is mandatory no matter what truck. That's the first step to success. Then after waxing the cups you're pretty much fully woke.

are you being ironic or sincere?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #2023 on: October 14, 2021, 06:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

are you being ironic or sincere?

The replacement of the top washer with a flat one is as sincere a comment as you can make regarding Ventures.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2024 on: October 14, 2021, 07:05:34 PM »

Feeling a bit mind fucked right now - always assumed that the V-Lights & V-Hollow came in 5.2 Lo, but according to this chart only the Titanium comes in 5.2 Lo. I know Lo cuts off at 5.2, but I'm pretty sure 5.2 Lo V-Hollow was a thing, Ben Degros even did a video on it.

Someone clear this up for me please and can we list down the heights too?

Pulled these off Tactics
Venture Lo w/ Cast Baseplate - 48.3mm
Venture Hi w/ Cast Baseplate - 53.5mm

Venture Hi w/ Forged Baseplate - 52mm

iw0

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2025 on: October 14, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »

Feeling a bit mind fucked right now - always assumed that the V-Lights & V-Hollow came in 5.2 Lo, but according to this chart only the Titanium comes in 5.2 Lo. I know Lo cuts off at 5.2, but I'm pretty sure 5.2 Lo V-Hollow was a thing, Ben Degros even did a video on it.

Pulled these off Tactics

they were very real, here's an out of stock parade page with pix - https://www.paradeworld.com/products/venture-52-low-v-hollow-all-polished-trucks-pair-3-1649355653190/

LewFarrell

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2026 on: October 14, 2021, 09:50:19 PM »

Pulled these off Tactics

5.2 lo V-Lights are in the latest drop. They're just not in the "polished" category as they have a blue baseplate. I have them, they're rad.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2027 on: October 14, 2021, 09:56:45 PM »

They look like they will be more of a special edition, rather than a standard line, moving forward.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2028 on: October 14, 2021, 10:17:33 PM »
Thanks y'all, hadn't had my morning coffee and I was freaking out, thought my Awaken life had been a lie.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #2029 on: Today at 10:56:15 AM »

SoCal has titaniums yaíll
[/quote]

I was pleased to see the titaniums sold out on So Cal Skateshop.  Saved me from a pricey impulse buy.  I am currently skating a 5.6 hollow hangar on cast plates.  They are great. I don't need the temptation.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 910
« Reply #2030 on: Today at 06:10:25 PM »
I swear we're gonna wake up one day and like thunder it'll be....they're all high...but some may be lower than others.....it's actually always been this way....