Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369208 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #960 on: June 24, 2020, 05:54:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I think dill still skates <8” boards, him and gino
[close]

I believe I read this also. BUT in Gino's latest stuff (61st st or whatever), that board looking like an 8"+? It's what I noticed the most

Total guess: I think the older 3 skate just over 8”, with  trucks. That Gino clip that was/is on guy Mariano’s page, longer, cruising sidewalks, looks like the board is a bit bigger than the trucks.
On some super nerd shit: I think Gino was skating hollow hi’s in that last thing he put out for those shoes (The Clip someone snarkily/correctly called his ‘my war’). Gino is probably my favorite skater, I’ve looked at his setup too much.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #961 on: June 24, 2020, 05:55:15 AM »
Also, since I am here, I keep pondering getting some 5.0 Lows (I ride 7.75s!) again. I ride Indy 99% of the time, although I have dabbled in Venture every few years. Going through my lame archive of own footage, I noticed that my "best" stuff, is all on Ventures. By "best" I mean, when the flip-of-the-board is involved. I find that pretty interesting. And as I age, I would like at least one last blast of decent flippery. And I will say that the flip of Indys feels more uh "floaty", which I have never really liked. I like the quick flip.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #962 on: June 24, 2020, 05:57:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe I read this also. BUT in Gino's latest stuff (61st st or whatever), that board looking like an 8"+? It's what I noticed the most
[close]

Total guess: I think the older 3 skate just over 8”, with  trucks. That Gino clip that was/is on guy Mariano’s page, longer, cruising sidewalks, looks like the board is a bit bigger than the trucks.
On some super nerd shit: I think Gino was skating hollow hi’s in that last thing he put out for those shoes (The Clip someone snarkily/correctly called his ‘my war’). Gino is probably my favorite skater, I’ve looked at his setup too much.

Awesome, I wondered that as well, because I thought I saw purple bushings in there. I'm actually a huge fan of that video because it reminds me of where I am at too. In a sense, you grow up "with" these guys, so it feels familiar / similar.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: June 24, 2020, 06:09:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Awesome, I wondered that as well, because I thought I saw purple bushings in there. I'm actually a huge fan of that video because it reminds me of where I am at too. In a sense, you grow up "with" these guys, so it feels familiar / similar.

Ahaha, yeah!
I can see why younger folks were skeptical, and especially in the context of him being revered. I was hyped, because I’m a fan. He skates so fast.
More pertinent to the thread ish, Gino’s boards were usually 7.9” ish, back when people skated their size more, I think. 5.2 lo’s, mostly. Another reminder for to skate a more regular (for me) size.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #964 on: June 24, 2020, 06:25:07 AM »
I have that conflict on 5.0 vs 5.25. I ran the 5.0's, because at that time, I rode 7.5's! But up at 7.75-7.9, kind of a difference possibly? I admit, I freak out of my trucks are wider than the board.   

Also, the 360 ollie out of the curb cut was sick. My fave was the switch 180 manual. One of my favorite tricks. And one that I can not do on Indys. Venture have that stable setup and landing that I don't feel with Indy (or Thunder).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #965 on: June 24, 2020, 06:37:58 AM »
I have that conflict on 5.0 vs 5.25. I ran the 5.0's, because at that time, I rode 7.5's! But up at 7.75-7.9, kind of a difference possibly? I admit, I freak out of my trucks are wider than the board.   

Also, the 360 ollie out of the curb cut was sick. My fave was the switch 180 manual. One of my favorite tricks. And one that I can not do on Indys. Venture have that stable setup and landing that I don't feel with Indy (or Thunder).

I stopped riding 7.75 because of truck size freak outs. I have hollow light 5.0 hi’s, won’t use them because they look so silly if wheels are bigger than 52, but everything is a breeze, board flips so easily.

129s take skill that I don’t have: tall and narrow. Real flippy, real tippy.

At this point, watching him haul ass and get smoked or naw is always going to be sick to me. Unapologetic stan

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #966 on: June 24, 2020, 07:46:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I stopped riding 7.75 because of truck size freak outs. I have hollow light 5.0 hi’s, won’t use them because they look so silly if wheels are bigger than 52, but everything is a breeze, board flips so easily.

At this point, watching him haul ass and get smoked or naw is always going to be sick to me. Unapologetic stan

I've never skated Venture Hi's. Visually, the way the lo's look... just look perfect to me. Bias: all of the old Girl/Choc footage when they all rode those. I ride 52's but usually wear them down to 50s and perfect. I dunno why I don't just buy 50's. You are right about the tippy for sure. I believe I just like to cruise on Indys, but street tricks, I prefer the Ventures

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #967 on: June 24, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've never skated Venture Hi's. Visually, the way the lo's look... just look perfect to me. Bias: all of the old Girl/Choc footage when they all rode those. I ride 52's but usually wear them down to 50s and perfect. I dunno why I don't just buy 50's. You are right about the tippy for sure. I believe I just like to cruise on Indys, but street tricks, I prefer the Ventures

5.2 Lo all day, best trucks I've ridden in recent memory. Itching to ride the 5.2 Los again but I haven't setup an 8" board with a short enough WB in a while.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #968 on: June 24, 2020, 08:26:50 AM »
5.2 lows are IMO the most aesthetically pleasing truck. Since 8" was big back in the day, I will occasionally try and convince myself to go back. My 11.5 shoes tend to say otherwise, along with he fact that I don't even flip my board that much.

As for the Gino thing, I swear there was an ad of his from around maybe 97/98 where he was skating highs. I don't remember if it was because they had blue bushing or anything like that, but for whatever reason it is burnt into my brain.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #969 on: June 24, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
Ace 33’s, and 5.2 lo’s are the two coolest looking, to me, followed by maybe some wide indys. Actually no, any photo of Phil Shao’s ventures are sick as fuck. The older venture hanger that was a little softer, more rounded in it’s lines looked amazing.

Dunno about Gino on hi’s back when, I never saw it. He had several photos with thunders.
Puleo.....another one of my most favorite skateboard styles, he had a venture ad back when where I thought maybe purple bushings, hi’s. I also remember having venture mids at one point. Late 90s, purple bushings. I’m bad with dates, I had them set up on a Jefferson Pang tiger balm graphic. I’ve honestly never been able to figure out what Puelo rides, size wise. In that video with Waylon I think he was on 5.2s, but....I’ve never seen any of these dudes in person, so I can’t tell how tall they are, or get too much perspective. I’ve for sure stared at photos too much, looking at gear. I miss that, photos....because I’m old. Got way off track. While I’m out here in deep left, I do need to mention that Puleo is rad, and deeply flawed. I’m generally ok with his contradictory views on spots and footage, and his graffiti ethos. The numerology stuff, crisis actors, “George” “Floyd” “Kobe” “33” “88” .....that stuff is difficult, to say the least.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #970 on: June 24, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »
Ace 33’s, and 5.2 lo’s are the two coolest looking, to me, followed by maybe some wide indys. Actually no, any photo of Phil Shao’s ventures are sick as fuck. The older venture hanger that was a little softer, more rounded in it’s lines looked amazing.

Dunno about Gino on hi’s back when, I never saw it. He had several photos with thunders.
Puleo.....another one of my most favorite skateboard styles, he had a venture ad back when where I thought maybe purple bushings, hi’s. I also remember having venture mids at one point. Late 90s, purple bushings. I’m bad with dates, I had them set up on a Jefferson Pang tiger balm graphic. I’ve honestly never been able to figure out what Puelo rides, size wise. In that video with Waylon I think he was on 5.2s, but....I’ve never seen any of these dudes in person, so I can’t tell how tall they are, or get too much perspective. I’ve for sure stared at photos too much, looking at gear. I miss that, photos....because I’m old. Got way off track. While I’m out here in deep left, I do need to mention that Puleo is rad, and deeply flawed. I’m generally ok with his contradictory views on spots and footage, and his graffiti ethos. The numerology stuff, crisis actors, “George” “Floyd” “Kobe” “33” “88” .....that stuff is difficult, to say the least.

Wade Speyer's also. Wade is one of my favorites. He's tied with 10 others for first place.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #971 on: June 24, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »

FWIW in his Nine Club Puleo says he skates a 7.75" (believe he mentioned it in his Bobshirt as well) and 50mm spits. I know in many of his pics it looks like he is skating 5.0 lows, but there could be 5.2s in there. Seems like someone who is pretty change-averse in terms of his gear.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #972 on: June 24, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FWIW in his Nine Club Puleo says he skates a 7.75" (believe he mentioned it in his Bobshirt as well) and 50mm spits. I know in many of his pics it looks like he is skating 5.0 lows, but there could be 5.2s in there. Seems like someone who is pretty change-averse in terms of his gear.

Thanks!!

Does not seem like someone down to change....

Definitely spared me going back and rewatching the 9 club, which in general drives me crazy because of how much they leave on the table. That 20 minute wheel loss story he tells is amazing.
How he’s able to skate such a small board/wheels, on the stuff he skates is dope, along with the af1s which feel buck to skate in

Cthulhu!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #973 on: June 24, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »
If the board is a 7.75, the wheels are 50mm classics, then the Ventures look like, well I just can't quite seem to place it.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #974 on: June 24, 2020, 10:31:13 AM »
If the board is a 7.75, the wheels are 50mm classics, then the Ventures look like, well I just can't quite seem to place it.

Yoooooo!
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of! To me it looks like 5.2s, on an 8”.
Thanks for pulling this screen grab.
Those wheels used to be 50s maybe.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #975 on: June 24, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Nice. Looks like 5.2 lows but it's hard to tell. Looks too wide for 5.0s.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #976 on: June 24, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »
Looks like an 8"

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #977 on: June 24, 2020, 01:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Probably the new pivot cups
[close]

that's probably it. got a shit ton of wax in them also, because the only thing i hate about them ventures, is the squuuuuueaky pivot cup.
[close]

Riptides will solve your pivot cup issues!
[close]

Couldn't find any in germany since somebody mentioned them on this thread some time ago, but I'm watching out for them, thanks for the tip!
[close]

Concrete Wave has them, online as well.

Awesome, thanks!

SaucyDonuts

• Rep: 1
« Reply #978 on: June 28, 2020, 06:46:00 AM »
Has anyone skated the both team cast and forged Ti?

I really noticed how “tinny” it the Ti felt after I bought a pair of cast. I have 5.6 Ti and just bought 5.8 cast yesterday and on the first grind immediately felt the difference. I have to say I’m definitely sticking with my team cast trucks. They feel SO much better and I actually enjoy the weight. I ride 8.38 or an 8.5. Just depends what the local shop has in my wheelbase (14.25 or 14.38). I definitely noticed how to cast base changed and made the wheelbase shorter. The base is more of an Indy feel and the wheels are behind the base. The wheels were right in front of the Ti base and felt for like a thunder when doing slides. I used the same wheels I had on my Ti to test this and did a few slides.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #979 on: June 28, 2020, 08:17:47 AM »
Has anyone tried the Riptide pivot cups for Ventures. Noticed my front pivot cup has a cut on the lip and wasn’t sure if I should swap them out before they get worse.
(Planning no switching the BP to a pair of 6.1s I have to keep them lighter)
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #980 on: June 28, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »

I really noticed how “tinny” it the Ti felt after I bought a pair of cast. I have 5.6 Ti and just bought 5.8 cast yesterday and on the first grind immediately felt the difference. I have to say I’m definitely sticking with my team cast trucks. They feel SO much better and I actually enjoy the weight. I ride 8.38 or an 8.5. Just depends what the local shop has in my wheelbase (14.25 or 14.38). I definitely noticed how to cast base changed and made the wheelbase shorter. The base is more of an Indy feel and the wheels are behind the base. The wheels were right in front of the Ti base and felt for like a thunder when doing slides. I used the same wheels I had on my Ti to test this and did a few slides.

Stop, I already have 5 pairs of Ventures (5.2 V-Hollow Lo, 5.2 V-Hollow Hi, 5.6 V-Hollow, 5.8, 5.8 Titanium). The last thing(s) I need are 5.2 and 5.6 Standards
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #981 on: June 28, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stop, I already have 5 pairs of Ventures (5.2 V-Hollow Lo, 5.2 V-Hollow Hi, 5.6 V-Hollow, 5.8, 5.8 Titanium). The last thing(s) I need are 5.2 and 5.6 Standards

To my understanding any venture baseplate works with any venture hanger. You could swap around if you wanted to see an approximate feel.

SaucyDonuts

• Rep: 1
« Reply #982 on: June 28, 2020, 12:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man I’m not making it up but you know how it is... everyone likes their setup differently. All I can say is that it’s 100% noticeable the difference in grind. I truly believe it’s the Ti hanger that gives the tinny feel. I probably won’t ever buy another set of Ti. The trade off is the weight though. I ride a 8.38 and rugged the 5.8 standard and boy I could tell it was heavier. I liked it a lot though. Crooks especially. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #983 on: June 28, 2020, 03:42:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Man I’m not making it up but you know how it is... everyone likes their setup differently. All I can say is that it’s 100% noticeable the difference in grind. I truly believe it’s the Ti hanger that gives the tinny feel. I probably won’t ever buy another set of Ti. The trade off is the weight though. I ride a 8.38 and rugged the 5.8 standard and boy I could tell it was heavier. I liked it a lot though. Crooks especially.

It totally does, especially on Thunders and Ventures; TI+forged plates is the tiniest reeling ever. It's why I've slowly gone back to cast or forged hollows or hollow-lites (and why MAG ATGs feel 'off' but I still like them). For sure 8.3+ you start to feel the heft of standard anything.

It's also why I am partial to ML trucks, light (better with krux pin), low and 8.375"

Nicki

« Reply #984 on: June 29, 2020, 05:43:45 AM »

For me, best Gino is Snuff which is all Thunders. HOWEVER, the closest thing in 2020 to ‘93/94 Thunders in terms of height, wheelbase, geometry are not the Team Thunders, but actually Venture Hi’s (with Lo’s also very similar just obvs a bit lower). Definitely the way to go replicate the setup of the early/mid 90s Thunder riders like Gino, Dill, Scott Johnston etc

shmazz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #985 on: June 29, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »
I’ve been skating 5.6 lights on my 8.25 FA deck for the past ten days or so and I’m loving them so far. I’ve only tighten them a couple of times (skating about two hours a day) and I ride them medium-loose. Solid turn, and although they do feel sturdier than my last set of trucks (Hysteria 147s, a Chinese made truck that sort of looks like a Thunder yet is 55mm tall) I like the pop feel on the 5.6s better. Parks are still closed around here, but slappies feel great once you wear the hanger down a little bit.  :D

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #986 on: June 29, 2020, 10:35:27 AM »
Are trucks out of stock everywhere? Can't find regular Lo 5.0s at my local or any of my usual online spots.
Seen em on a few sites for way more than usual but no thanks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #987 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
Are trucks out of stock everywhere? Can't find regular Lo 5.0s at my local or any of my usual online spots.

DLX trucks are for sure (Thunders are all but extinct except for old stock and shit colorways in 149, and even then)...Looks like shops got a NHS stock tho (indy/krux/ricta are in full swing at least online); also the new pruple raw/red Aces are popping up.

I don't feel so guilty about have some some stock on hand now :P

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #988 on: June 29, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/venture-polished-low-90-4493051232310/

They have 5.0 Lows, and then another shop on Parade as 5.25 lows.

Junglist

« Reply #989 on: June 29, 2020, 12:39:28 PM »
Pretty sure 5.0 low raws are $38 on 35th ave’s website