Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 356402 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2430 on: February 17, 2022, 06:46:53 PM »
I just bought a pair of 5.6 vlights and without even thinking about it also copped some ace performance pivot cups.

Do y'all know if these cups will fit the ventures?

I'm seeing mixed messages. some say they will some say they won't.

Until the stock product actually breaks or has issues, I wouldn't be changing anything out of the new trucks.

Bushings I can understand if you wanted harder bushings / tighter trucks, but pivot cups don't need to change at all, even though some people might tell you otherwise, it is just personal opinion.

Best thing to do if you already have them and don't want to return them is pull out the ones that are in the trucks and compare size, shape or even put them in and see if it makes a difference.

I haven't seen the newer Ace pivot cups, but the older ones were still the same generic shape and fit into other brands easily, but that is going back a while.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2431 on: February 17, 2022, 06:52:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Do the krux down lo kingpins fit in venture
[close]

Yes, but you have to JB weld the nut in. Here’s a pic, I fucked it up the first time, but got it right this time. Only skated them twice but they feel good. Feel free to PM me if you want details on how to make them work.

@Justrollingthru   For you.  Initially tried looking up INVERTED in the search but then tried WELD and these came up, so yes it is totally possible.

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #2432 on: February 18, 2022, 10:07:08 AM »
Got my venture highs now.

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but after 20 years of no skating (tight trucks back then) I wonder how tight your ventures are? You ride them out of the box tight? You make them loser? Tighter ?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2433 on: February 18, 2022, 10:31:32 AM »
Got my venture highs now.

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but after 20 years of no skating (tight trucks back then) I wonder how tight your ventures are? You ride them out of the box tight? You make them loser? Tighter ?

front truck stock (no thread if any are showing)
back truck .5/1 thread showing/flush it's just slightly tighter than stock, maybe quarter turn??

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2434 on: February 18, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »
Tight trucks are now frowned upon….high trucks and wide boards are celebrated…..

Welcome back….

Royalty

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2435 on: February 18, 2022, 03:29:22 PM »
I did read through all 80-something pages of this thread, but have recently gotten my first pair of venture 5.2lo. They are the standards with cast baseplates. I’d be curious to know if there is a concise albeit subjective pro/con list that y’all with experience can offer. I have skated them a bit myself but not enough to form a good opinion as it’s been only flat ground and small ledges so far. I haven’t heard much about them in a mini ramp or on rails. I get why they’re uncommon in actual transition haha. Thanks in advanced for any wisdom! Side note: I’m especially curious about them paired with certain wheelbases as well as steep vs mellow kicks and fingers of flat. I’m full on mad.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2436 on: February 18, 2022, 03:30:35 PM »
I did read through all 80-something pages of this thread, but have recently gotten my first pair of venture 5.2lo. They are the standards with cast baseplates. I’d be curious to know if there is a concise albeit subjective pro/con list that y’all with experience can offer. I have skated them a bit myself but not enough to form a good opinion as it’s been only flat ground and small ledges so far. I haven’t heard much about them in a mini ramp or on rails. I get why they’re uncommon in actual transition haha. Thanks in advanced for any wisdom! Side note: I’m especially curious about them paired with certain wheelbases as well as steep vs mellow kicks and fingers of flat. I’m full on mad.

If they feel fine, don't think about it. They are good trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2437 on: February 18, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »
If you want to try to see what highs feel like, risers with the Lo will get you there although they will turn a bit different.

Brandon Westgate still uses Lo's and has zero trouble with it. It's really what you get used to.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2438 on: February 18, 2022, 04:09:29 PM »
If you want to try to see what highs feel like, risers with the Lo will get you there although they will turn a bit different.

Brandon Westgate still uses Lo's and has zero trouble with it. It's really what you get used to.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2439 on: February 19, 2022, 04:04:54 AM »
That time of the year again:
Gonna be sizing up to 8.5. Gonna go with cast Venture His, since I love bigger wheels (55+).
Heard a lot of talk about 6.1s being different than 5.8s – in addition to being a wider truck of course... any recommendations from 6.1/5.8 users?

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2440 on: February 19, 2022, 04:57:17 AM »
Love to see if anyone’s got the inverted pin on forged plates to work....

drinny

« Reply #2441 on: February 19, 2022, 05:16:57 AM »
Gonna be sizing up to 8.5. Gonna go with cast Venture His, since I love bigger wheels (55+).
Heard a lot of talk about 6.1s being different than 5.8s – in addition to being a wider truck of course... any recommendations from 6.1/5.8 users?

Get slightly harder bushings (like 95a instead of what’s usually assumed to be 90a stock) then they feel like normal V’s - all good.

Think the wider hanger just gives too much press on the regular duro - if you like a happy medium tightness I couldn’t get it with stock, was flopping all over.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2442 on: February 19, 2022, 05:38:56 AM »
Slapped some soft bones bushings in my ventures, and cranked em pretty down. They feel perfect now with a good amount of turn

Bought the mediums too just in case but glad I have backups even though theyre probably completely different

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2443 on: February 19, 2022, 07:25:50 AM »
Love to see if anyone’s got the inverted pin on forged plates to work....

I had a hard time getting cast thunders with a Krux down lo going….

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2444 on: February 19, 2022, 04:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Get slightly harder bushings (like 95a instead of what’s usually assumed to be 90a stock) then they feel like normal V’s - all good.

Think the wider hanger just gives too much press on the regular duro - if you like a happy medium tightness I couldn’t get it with stock, was flopping all over.

What size board do you pair the 6.1 with?
Run my trucks medium/loose, thanks for the tip...

drinny

« Reply #2445 on: February 20, 2022, 01:00:58 AM »
Err.. actually a 9.25 overhanging with some very offset wheels to make up the gap to edge.

Not my regular setup, kinda nostalgia jam.

That might have been my problem.... that you might not have.

Whatever the axle measures on a 6.1 not sure. I usually get a deck width .25 under the axle width. So like 8 axle 7.75 deck.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #2446 on: February 20, 2022, 02:39:05 PM »
My 5.6 v-lights with stock bushings feel great after 6 sessions. Had bones mediums in them but I wanna stop the bushing madness so i switched back and was really surprised how nice they broke in after a few sessions.
They feel perfect now. Just tightened them a bit after 3-4 sessions. I'm not that heavy so maybe that's a plus for me.
I switched from stock forged TI Indy's after my axle broke on them and i really don't miss anything in the turn.. for me they feel almost the same .
Was thinking about selling them but now I don't know anymore. Maybe i'm awake now..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2447 on: February 21, 2022, 07:27:18 PM »
Contrary to what everyone says about riptide pivot cups in the ventures making them turn better, I am experiencing even worse turning with the riptide pivot cups. My setup is venture 5.6 hi trucks, stock bushings and riptide venture pivot cups 96a with an 8.12 board. Maybe it has to do with a smaller width board than truck width (i usually ride 8.25), but the turning is far less responsive, and I even got more wheelbite than I did before. This is the first session with these btw and it was also cold outside so maybe I have to break them in?

Haven’t skated riptides.
Hard lol at shit not working the first time: yes, almost all things truck related benefit from some break in.
Slightly unpopular opinion: trucks wider than the board cause more wheelbite. I cannot really be moved from thinking this. Listening to those that extol the virtues of wider than deck trucks, ‘pinch’ is often listed. As in desirable wheelbite. Slalom boards had those tiny trucks, maybe that’s because that’s all that was available, but I also believe it’s because if the trucks are narrower than the board, there is a longer distance in between the deck and the wheel.   

logjammin

• Rep: 334
« Reply #2448 on: February 22, 2022, 06:22:28 AM »
I kinda feel like the hard plasticky stock pivots in Ventures are indeed better than the Riptides, too. I just wax the stock ones, good to go. The harder plastic has a good rebound back to center.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2449 on: February 22, 2022, 09:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Contrary to what everyone says about riptide pivot cups in the ventures making them turn better, I am experiencing even worse turning with the riptide pivot cups. My setup is venture 5.6 hi trucks, stock bushings and riptide venture pivot cups 96a with an 8.12 board. Maybe it has to do with a smaller width board than truck width (i usually ride 8.25), but the turning is far less responsive, and I even got more wheelbite than I did before. This is the first session with these btw and it was also cold outside so maybe I have to break them in?
[close]

Haven’t skated riptides.
Hard lol at shit not working the first time: yes, almost all things truck related benefit from some break in.
Slightly unpopular opinion: trucks wider than the board cause more wheelbite. I cannot really be moved from thinking this. Listening to those that extol the virtues of wider than deck trucks, ‘pinch’ is often listed. As in desirable wheelbite. Slalom boards had those tiny trucks, maybe that’s because that’s all that was available, but I also believe it’s because if the trucks are narrower than the board, there is a longer distance in between the deck and the wheel.

I just look at those thunder 161’s….and feel the wheelbite.  That said, after skating ventures which also wheelbite, I’ve found that not all wheelbite is as bad…..so maybe it’s not as severe…also how people commonly skate trucks ie. wide/loose, narrow/tight make a difference too…

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2450 on: February 22, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was considering getting a set of Venture 5.8s or 6.1s (standards) since I've been seeing them on sale lately. I normally run my trucks medium loose (carvy enough for slappies, nowhere near jiggly loose though). What are the biggest wheels y'all have run on these. I'm not opposed to using 1/8" risers btw
[close]

A guy I know skates 5.8 with 56 and sometimes 58 mm wheels, minimal to no risers, fairly loose trucks.  Certainly see a lot of wheel bite on his board, but he said it doesn't seem to bother him as much as people might think.

I am about to get some used Venture trucks in bigger sizes - shipped and awaiting delivery later this week, all going well - so am curious to see what I can go up to on them.

A couple of boards that I have made wheel wells are going to be my test to see if I can get 60mm cruiser wheels on Ventures with minimal risers and still have them turn as much as I like for that sort of rolling, as well as normal skating on whatever size wheel I can get on there.  Should be fun.

Will let you know.
[close]

Great thank you!

Been super busy this whole week, but I plan on setting up the 6.1s today as it is the once a week "Skateshop / indoor skatepark day" for me, so I will be taking them along with a whole lot of stuff I just got and giving them a go later on with 52, 54, 56 and 58 mm Spitfires.

Not going to post the pic again, but this is what I got, link to pic here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82832.msg3744644#msg3744644

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2451 on: February 22, 2022, 07:17:17 PM »

Beatrice got a colorway, good for her.  I wonder what size they come in.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2452 on: February 23, 2022, 06:31:13 AM »
I was considering getting a set of Venture 5.8s or 6.1s (standards) since I've been seeing them on sale lately. I normally run my trucks medium loose (carvy enough for slappies, nowhere near jiggly loose though). What are the biggest wheels y'all have run on these. I'm not opposed to using 1/8" risers btw

So I set the used 6.1 standard Ventures up with no risers and skated them exactly as they were on the Dane 1 deck, fairly loose and easy to carve and turn, especially with smaller wheels, minimal wheelbite on 52 mm wheels, then was still easy enough on the 54 mm but I knew where I could lean to without having issues and pushed it as far as that easily enough again.

The 56 mm wheels were a little harder to turn as much and I could feel the wheel touching the deck without getting thrown off, but I was ready for it too.

The 58 mm wheels were the last ones and I left them on the board, so again a bit more used to the deck and trucks now, couldn't push into turns quite as much and had to be a bit more careful on landings (only small stuff) but still no wheelbite or issues from that sort of thing.  The reason I had left the 58 mm wheels on is I was planning to put on 1/8" risers just to see what that felt like but then got busy and ran out of time before pack up time for the night.

I would say they could easily skate well on the risers with that size wheel - 58 mm Conical Full and have about the same amount of turn and clearance as my usual Indy standards with my usual 56 mm wheels with no risers and I can turn very deeply on them.

I also had 60 mm wheels there ready to try if I had enough time, but also brought them all with me so can test them out in the next day or so too, just to really give them a good go, but I think I will change the trucks over to something more like an 8.8 more general shaped board or even a popsicle with a more normal wheelbase for my liking (about 14.5 is my go to and the Dane 1 is only just a touch more than 14 so it is very short) and see how they feel.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2453 on: February 23, 2022, 07:37:26 AM »

I used Riptides in Indy and didn’t like them honestly. The difference isn’t super big, but they felt as if they mushed out the bottom of the turn and there was even less snap back to center not that Indy have a ton. Just made the turn feel more “wiggly” and less like a carve. Noise reduction was nice, but that’s it.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2454 on: February 23, 2022, 08:08:55 AM »
The weather is nice and I’m going to set up a board and break out my beloved venture 5.6 hollows and my loopholes.

I believe that I’ll be free to skate after 4 pm
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2455 on: February 23, 2022, 08:34:21 AM »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2456 on: February 23, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »
The weather is nice and I’m going to set up a board and break out my beloved venture 5.6 hollows and my loopholes.

I believe that I’ll be free to skate after 4 pm
Honestly one of the best feelings: when you’re at work and the weather outside is nice and you know it’s gonna be nice for the rest of the day so you’ll be able to skate when you’re off. Makes the work day a bit more bearable knowing a sesh is coming afterwards.

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2457 on: February 23, 2022, 02:06:08 PM »
Just got my first pair of venture standards (on a sweet sale) and noticed the kingpins are 2 different colors, ones polished while the other is black. I can’t tell if my brain is fucking with me but one seems maybe a hair taller than the other, and it could be because one is a little cranked down while the other isn’t. Just wondering if anyone else is has that happen.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2458 on: February 23, 2022, 02:13:55 PM »
Just got my first pair of venture standards (on a sweet sale) and noticed the kingpins are 2 different colors, ones polished while the other is black. I can’t tell if my brain is fucking with me but one seems maybe a hair taller than the other, and it could be because one is a little cranked down while the other isn’t. Just wondering if anyone else is has that happen.

Those might be from different eras. A shop employee I spoke with (definitely a ‘lifer’), was saying that Ventures changed their geometry. He insinuated recently. I’m not sure if this was in addition to the group changing from street corner to deluxe, or what. Interestingly he went from long long time Venture Hi guy, to Indys. Like the reverse of what everyone else was doing over the last few years (not everyone, but in the shops I went to, many employees kind of aligned themselves with dlx and so venture over indy).
Anyways. The trucks might be different. Might not.
I’ve seen people thing trucks were different by comparing axle to axle. As I’m sure you are aware, not an accurate method.
Too long/too rambly: could be different. I hope someone actually informed (not me obvi) pipes up with the info

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2459 on: February 23, 2022, 02:25:44 PM »
It shouldn't affect performance at all so you should be fine (as long as they are both from Deluxe, and you didn't get a mismatch truck from Street Corner era). It's most likely related to supply issues as mentioned in the Thunder thread (page 6), skaters saw that the kingpin is set deeper in new Thunder batches and Deluxe replied that they needed to use a different kingpin to keep production going. Might be the same case for the different color kingpins for Ventures.

Welcome to the Venture gang! the only truck that matters