Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369142 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2520 on: March 09, 2022, 08:17:25 AM »
Really fw the idea of ventures on 8.5's since most 8.5s on the market have a 6.625+ tails anyway.

Am I the only one who can like skate a 14.25WB then a  14.5WB if you give me a day to get used to it??? I dont even look at wheelbase anymore. Shit I dont look at anything anymore I just buy the board and hope it lets me feel something

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #2521 on: March 09, 2022, 08:22:45 AM »
Quote from: switchfrontshuv link[b
[/b]=topic=108614.msg3754307#msg3754307 date=1646842645]
Really fw the idea of ventures on 8.5's since most 8.5s on the market have a 6.625+ tails anyway.

Am I the only one who can like skate a 14.25WB then a  14.5WB if you give me a day to get used to it??? I dont even look at wheelbase anymore. Shit I dont look at anything anymore I just buy the board and hope it lets me feel something

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2522 on: March 11, 2022, 06:52:38 PM »
Has any one tried an ishod 8.3 TT w/ venture 5.2 hi or 5.2 lo? Thoughts ?

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2523 on: March 11, 2022, 07:59:53 PM »
Are these the two trucks you already own? I think 5.2 would be too narrow for that.  IMO the long Venture wheelbase, combined with what I felt were flatish and shortish kicks and a slightly longer wheelbase on the deck, would not be a good combo at all.  I really liked that deck with Indy 144 Hollows but I'd try Thunders on it before Ventures.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2524 on: March 11, 2022, 08:30:36 PM »

I had 5.6 on it and they felt fine.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2525 on: March 11, 2022, 09:39:10 PM »
Expand Quote
I really dont think its as simple as just getting a short WB for V hi's. You need a longer tail to counter the height and "heavy" venture pop.
A 14 wb with a 6.5" tail and hi's is still going to feel heavy and most-likely give you ghost pop, same as what would happen with a 14.25.
[close]

So which brands are the perfect venture hi‘s match is the big question ? 🤔

I think the dude has a point. I’ve said it before, but I put the 5.6 highs on my Quasi (I think it’s a 14.25 wheelbase), took one look at it and chuckled thinking it was going to be terrible for me, but it’s one of my favorite boards. I wouldn’t overthink it. Ventures are just a solid truck no matter the setup, in my experience.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2526 on: March 11, 2022, 11:28:30 PM »
Quasi boards kicks have mellowed out a bit no?  I think a standard BBS’s kicks work fine with ventures, it’s just the wheelbases tend to be 14.25 plus which just feels a hair too long….a dwindle board maybe? 

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #2527 on: March 11, 2022, 11:32:21 PM »
Steep kicks can work well we the lows

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2528 on: March 12, 2022, 08:24:41 AM »
I have 5.6 standards and v-hollows and I ended up throwing the hollow hanger on the cast baseplate and it feels incredible on the fa/hockey 8.18 shape with 14 WB. Probably completely unnecessary to do that but taking a tiny bit of weight off while keeping the cast height/WB just feels right on that setup

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #2529 on: March 12, 2022, 07:08:59 PM »
Team Hollows….makes complete sense…

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2530 on: March 13, 2022, 06:40:41 AM »
Currently skating an ishod 8.3 TT w/ 5.2 lo it’s working alright I’d say

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2531 on: March 13, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
Team Hollows….makes complete sense…

5.6 V-Hollow Lo.... makes complete sense...

Still feeling jilted that Ace beat Venture to the punch with the new AF1 Low for a sub-50mm 5.6 truck that isn't Mini Logo.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2532 on: March 13, 2022, 07:05:48 PM »
if the aces sell well id assume they are on the horizon
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2533 on: March 13, 2022, 08:46:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I really dont think its as simple as just getting a short WB for V hi's. You need a longer tail to counter the height and "heavy" venture pop.
A 14 wb with a 6.5" tail and hi's is still going to feel heavy and most-likely give you ghost pop, same as what would happen with a 14.25.
[close]

[close]

There isn’t such a thing.
Again, using a highly talented professional: Aikens was supposedly skating the girl shape with the shortest tail (6.3), with venture hi’s, and he definitely doesn’t look labored with his pop.
I really enjoy reading people’s opinions on here, so I’m not attempting to shit on anyone for posting theirs, I personally don’t believe there are magic combinations of wb truck brand etc equals hward sk8r.
Riding something that gets me stoked to get out there and skate is the key for me, I’m gonna have a hard time no matter what
[close]

Yeah, I feel you.

But one more question:

what would you consider a short and normal tail?
[close]

Talking in Tactics measurements, it seems like the dlx standard is 6.5" and some 6.625". That seems to work well with thunders, indy forged and ace.  Ive seen some decks with tails below 6.5", like 6.3" or something, i wouldnt touch those.  I think anything above a 6.7" tail is considered long. Heroin Symmetrical egg with 7" kicks seems interesting on hi's

Like others have mentioned tho, tail steepness would also matter

Tactics is full of shit a lot of the time. I have a DLX 8.25 sitting right here measuring at 6.75" tail. I think the 8.125 Eagle has a slightly bigger tail too.

I liked Ventures on Quasis, which have pretty damn short tails.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2534 on: March 14, 2022, 12:50:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Again, using a highly talented professional: Aikens was supposedly skating the girl shape with the shortest tail (6.3), with venture hi’s, and he definitely doesn’t look labored with his pop.
I really enjoy reading people’s opinions on here, so I’m not attempting to shit on anyone for posting theirs, I personally don’t believe there are magic combinations of wb truck brand etc equals hward sk8r.
Riding something that gets me stoked to get out there and skate is the key for me, I’m gonna have a hard time no matter what
[close]

Yeah, I feel you.

But one more question:

[close]

Talking in Tactics measurements, it seems like the dlx standard is 6.5" and some 6.625". That seems to work well with thunders, indy forged and ace.  Ive seen some decks with tails below 6.5", like 6.3" or something, i wouldnt touch those.  I think anything above a 6.7" tail is considered long. Heroin Symmetrical egg with 7" kicks seems interesting on hi's

[close]

Tactics is full of shit a lot of the time. I have a DLX 8.25 sitting right here measuring at 6.75" tail. I think the 8.125 Eagle has a slightly bigger tail too.

That’s what I wanted say. Quasi, gx and wknd have short tails and lots of their team ride ventures

Then again I guess they ride bigger boards, cause 8.125‘s have a tail of 6.375 or something.

You think this is too short for high ventures v hollows ?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 03:48:19 AM by SlapMcKracken »

Fooj

• Rep: 192
« Reply #2535 on: March 14, 2022, 06:39:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I feel you.

But one more question:

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s what I wanted say. Quasi, gx and wknd have short tails and lots of their team ride ventures

Then again I guess they ride bigger boards, cause 8.125‘s have a tail of 6.375 or something.

Theres always going to be exceptions based on personal preference, varying kick steepness, or incorrect measurements, but for the most part combining a truck that has the widest WB on the market and pretty decent height, with a short tail makes the physics more likely than not point towards heavy feeling pop.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2536 on: March 14, 2022, 08:11:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I feel you.

But one more question:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Theres always going to be exceptions based on personal preference, varying kick steepness, or incorrect measurements, but for the most part combining a truck that has the widest WB on the market and pretty decent height, with a short tail makes the physics more likely than not point towards heavy feeling pop.

Let’s see, I’ll try a 8.125 quasi or gx next. I think they have the exact same shape anyway.

Right now I have a magenta big plant 8“ on the ventures, but can’t skate it cause my toe is still broken.
Don’t know the tail length though

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #2537 on: March 14, 2022, 08:58:09 AM »
Ventures work with basically every Girl/Chocolate board.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2538 on: March 14, 2022, 09:47:02 PM »
finally coming to terms that im too big for soft bushings
was on the ace low bushings for 2 months
wheelbiting on every toe or heel heavy landing
didnt realize my progress was stagnating

rewatched footy of my favorite pros and they can land anyway/how without getting pitched, all seemingly riding tighter trucks. for example, reynolds rides indy blue bushings with 2-3 threads showing. i cant stand showing threads so the ace set had to go

threw in the green supercush 94a, nuts flush. rode loose trucks since i can remember but can still turn with these. cruised around and popped some nollie tricks faster than usual and rolled away like butter. not sure if its my higher center of gravity, strong ankles, 14" wb, being 200lbs, or big flipper feet but i can swerve. low profile kingpin nuts are on the way for a little more give

not sure why i was running near max palmer loose trucks with no intention to skate like him. loose trucks = style is a major misconception, especially if you cant roll away
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 09:53:54 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2539 on: March 14, 2022, 10:02:02 PM »

rewatched footy of my favorite pros and they can land anyway/how without getting pitched, all seemingly riding tighter trucks. for example, reynolds rides indy blue bushings with 2-3 threads showing. i cant stand showing threads so the ace set had to go

threw in the green supercush 94a, nuts flush. rode loose trucks since i can remember but can still turn with these. cruised around and popped some nollie tricks faster than usual and rolled away like butter. not sure if its my higher center of gravity, strong ankles, 14" wb, being 200lbs, or big flipper feet but i can swerve. low profile kingpin nuts are on the way for a little more give

not sure why i was running near max palmer loose trucks with no intention to skate like him. loose trucks = style is a major misconception, especially if you cant roll away

Pretty much why I stopped bothering with Bones in my Ventures, stock bushings broken in turn great without having to go wobble loose. I realized I would have to do a hard swerve after throwing down my board to compensate for how loose I was having them.

Used to think that going looser helped with the pinch but some rigidity on the hanger is needed to keep your truck in position during the grind.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:09:02 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #2540 on: March 15, 2022, 06:34:15 AM »
I been out cruising. I stopped at my wallie spot. I’ve put away my car for a while and the Aces too.
There’s nothing so nice as a loose venture.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2541 on: March 15, 2022, 07:36:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty much why I stopped bothering with Bones in my Ventures, stock bushings broken in turn great without having to go wobble loose. I realized I would have to do a hard swerve after throwing down my board to compensate for how loose I was having them.

Used to think that going looser helped with the pinch but some rigidity on the hanger is needed to keep your truck in position during the grind.

Most people who ride loose would be way better if they didn’t. I think if you can see someone flopping around or unable to not go straight after landing it’s too lose. Ishod runs his shit super loose and you would have zero clue. Reynolds runs his shit super tight and he still carves around.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2542 on: March 15, 2022, 03:49:36 PM »
Holy shit you guys weren't kidding

I replaced the top washer with a flat one

Wow. Just wow

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2543 on: March 15, 2022, 05:14:40 PM »

Wow. Just wow

Is it also because the flat washer is half the height of the normal one, so you are getting a mm extra of looseness?

One single mm is such a difference in the amount of kingpin clearance / bushing compression.

Or do people say it is not as much holding the bushing down so it can move a lot more when the truck turns?

Just curious.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2544 on: March 15, 2022, 06:03:19 PM »
Expand Quote

Wow. Just wow
[close]

Is it also because the flat washer is half the height of the normal one, so you are getting a mm extra of looseness?

One single mm is such a difference in the amount of kingpin clearance / bushing compression.

Or do people say it is not as much holding the bushing down so it can move a lot more when the truck turns?

Just curious.

While I am definitely not smart enough to know for certain...

It seems like it is both. I think the stock washer takes up way too much space vertically and horizontally. It feels like it prevents the hanger from flexing side to side - at some point your deck just starts leaning rather than turning. Replacing it with a flat washer it feels like a long wheelbase ace (this is probably a bad analogy but it's the closest I can come to with my limited truck knowledge from years of just indy and ace) where it will flex all the way and allow really long carves.

These are just my initial impressions though, and I could be way off. It's crazy how switching the washer kept all the pop and made it so I was able to slalom around like an idiot

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2545 on: March 15, 2022, 06:09:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Wow. Just wow
[close]

Just curious.
[close]

While I am definitely not smart enough to know for certain...

It seems like it is both. I think the stock washer takes up way too much space vertically and horizontally. It feels like it prevents the hanger from flexing side to side - at some point your deck just starts leaning rather than turning. Replacing it with a flat washer it feels like a long wheelbase ace (this is probably a bad analogy but it's the closest I can come to with my limited truck knowledge from years of just indy and ace) where it will flex all the way and allow really long carves.

These are just my initial impressions though, and I could be way off. It's crazy how switching the washer kept all the pop and made it so I was able to slalom around like an idiot

Yes, it all makes complete sense to me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #2546 on: March 15, 2022, 06:59:04 PM »
Stock washer binds on the hanger, as in my hanger gets grooved from the washer.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #2547 on: March 15, 2022, 08:49:07 PM »
what size flat washer do i get for cone shaped bushings? considering picking up bones bushings mostly just for the washers...

Banned from the room

« Reply #2548 on: March 15, 2022, 09:06:47 PM »
what size flat washer do i get for cone shaped bushings? considering picking up bones bushings mostly just for the washers...

Go to the hardware store and see what fits.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2549 on: March 15, 2022, 09:28:56 PM »

Muirskate has them or source with these specs:
 .377" Hole x .875" Diameter, x .08" Thick
9.6mm Hole x 22.2mm Diameter x 2mm