Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369239 times)

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4830 on: September 18, 2023, 01:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote
I think PJ posted some photo of couple sets of Venture lows this week with fuckwithyourtrucks tagged on it. Had some weird thing going on with axle nuts but i believe PJ still on lows.
[close]

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxR0xqdrIvM/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
These footages are clearly hi's, and some more in is stories few days ago.

My bad, totally remembered those being lows

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #4831 on: September 18, 2023, 02:34:33 AM »
Expand Quote
I think PJ posted some photo of couple sets of Venture lows this week with fuckwithyourtrucks tagged on it. Had some weird thing going on with axle nuts but i believe PJ still on lows.
[close]

What's he got there on the axle nuts? Allen nuts? What do you even call those? Looks epic.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4832 on: September 18, 2023, 06:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote
...i often recommended a flat top washer...
[close]

My 5.6s should be here in a day or two. I remember hearing about the flat washer before, but remind me the function/purpose of this? Thanks!
the stock washer tends to bind with the hanger. the flat washer doesn't and makes the trucks turn a bit more easily (at least in my experience)

i typically run ventures with stock bushings and a flat washer as long as possible until i need new bushings.
for replacements, i like the deluxe supercush bushings. indy bushings work too, the indy top bushing is just a bit taller than the venture stock top. currently running the blue indy tops (92A) and they seem to be more durable so far, but i'm also doing a lot less slappies since I've moved

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4833 on: September 18, 2023, 06:26:42 AM »
What's the duro of the stock purples? I keep finding contradictory info online.
all stock bushings are 90A regardless of color

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #4834 on: September 18, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

My 5.6s should be here in a day or two. I remember hearing about the flat washer before, but remind me the function/purpose of this? Thanks!
[close]
the stock washer tends to bind with the hanger. the flat washer doesn't and makes the trucks turn a bit more easily (at least in my experience)

i typically run ventures with stock bushings and a flat washer as long as possible until i need new bushings.
for replacements, i like the deluxe supercush bushings. indy bushings work too, the indy top bushing is just a bit taller than the venture stock top. currently running the blue indy tops (92A) and they seem to be more durable so far, but i'm also doing a lot less slappies since I've moved

what they said. 

if i take a few boards to a spot, it does happen, and i switch back and forth between ace and venture lo’s, i notice the lack of turn in the lo’s, comparatively. ace, indy’s, they can feel fun carving about. if i never ollied/flipped, i’d probably just skate indy or ace, or a polarizer or something similar.
what i’m trying to get at, is that you can loosen ventures up quite a bit, but i prefer them medium, better pop. and i’m not slaloming. i am trying to nollie flip going a little faster.

stuck somewhere in the back of my brain was a comment i read in an old mag, something along the lines of carroll noticing howard because he had made his ventures super loose. blockhead time period. so rick was maybe still high school aged.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4835 on: September 18, 2023, 09:55:26 AM »
I just like conical bushings and think I get a bit more response out of them which is fun….I’m a light guy.  Stock bushings everyone tells me are pretty good these days and I don’t doubt that…..this forum in a lot of ways isn’t reflective to how the real world works……

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4836 on: September 18, 2023, 10:15:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks. Blue 92a is what I run in my Indys, btw.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4837 on: September 18, 2023, 11:10:11 AM »
To be fair the exact same washer issue happens with every trucks and even Thunders shred bushings. Thunders for me and my friends have also had annoyingly flimsy washers that tend to bend, so if you do replace bushings good luck getting back to your old tightness without crank and bending the washer even more.

If you look at the stock Thunder and Venture top washer both are sort of sharp and hug the top of the bushing more. Ace and Indy seem to be more blunt/smooth with a bit of a gap. DLX should likely change the top washers they use at the very least.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #4838 on: September 18, 2023, 12:37:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What's he got there on the axle nuts? Allen nuts? What do you even call those? Looks epic.

Must have threaded a hollow axle to accept those bolts. Wild. Not sure I'd trust that myself hah

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4839 on: September 18, 2023, 12:55:15 PM »
To be fair the exact same washer issue happens with every trucks and even Thunders shred bushings. Thunders for me and my friends have also had annoyingly flimsy washers that tend to bend, so if you do replace bushings good luck getting back to your old tightness without crank and bending the washer even more.

If you look at the stock Thunder and Venture top washer both are sort of sharp and hug the top of the bushing more. Ace and Indy seem to be more blunt/smooth with a bit of a gap. DLX should likely change the top washers they use at the very least.

i think what i’ve noticed with ventures, more than other trucks, is the stock washer binding against the hanger, which limits the articulation. or something. the flat washer doesn’t do that.
turns out i don’t need to turn that much. just watched some william phan clips. that’s that shit i do like.

something about the thunder bushings and the thunder washers is antagonistic towards the lifespan of those bushings. but the trucks work really well so i stopped caring about it.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4840 on: September 18, 2023, 06:27:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not sure about the newer aftermarket Indy bushings, but all the older ones that I use had much flatter washers compared to the stock ones, so I usually always use those and it pretty much sorts everything - the bushings that don't crumble or crack up and the washers that are not as deep so I have fewer issues with them biting the bushings, or binding on the hanger, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #4841 on: September 18, 2023, 06:53:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure about the newer aftermarket Indy bushings, but all the older ones that I use had much flatter washers compared to the stock ones, so I usually always use those and it pretty much sorts everything - the bushings that don't crumble or crack up and the washers that are not as deep so I have fewer issues with them biting the bushings, or binding on the hanger, etc.

I recently got new Indy 90a bushings and the washers were much slimmer than the stock washers.  It helped make up for the taller top bushing. 

I’m running them in 5.2 lows and they made the turn a bit smoother after blowing through a stock bottom bushing in a month.  I just hate the color, but I’ll get over it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4842 on: September 18, 2023, 07:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Must have threaded a hollow axle to accept those bolts. Wild. Not sure I'd trust that myself hah

That makes sense.

I was looking at that thinking that would have been a real struggle, but if he has hollow axles, then it shouldn't be half as hard.  Also cutting off the extra axle that the nut is on would be mandatory too, so it is just the hex head bolt into the axle at the point the bearings with spacer room sits normally.

Silver or Grind King or maybe even some other brands have done this in the past, with similar things but I think this takes it to a much better level of tech and zero axle nut hits or shin bashes, compared to a regular board.

Given he would have a quantity of hangers, it would not be a problem if one of those bolts got stuck or something else happened to it, but for any other person, it might not be quite so comforting.

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #4843 on: September 19, 2023, 12:04:28 AM »
I've been using Ace top washers in my Indys as they are mellower in design and don't eat up the top bushing like the sharp-edged Indy top washers tend to do especially when cranked.

But reading this thread and upon closer inspection on my Ventures I just noticed for the first time that the stock top washer actually almost touches the hanger. Hence the potential problem is not the bushing but the hanger. Probably a thing that every one who is awake is aware of, but this was new to me.

Thanks for pointing this out, will keep an eye on this. Got some spare Bones top washers, might try them out and see if it feels any different.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4844 on: September 19, 2023, 04:32:26 AM »
I've been using Ace top washers in my Indys as they are mellower in design and don't eat up the top bushing like the sharp-edged Indy top washers tend to do especially when cranked.

But reading this thread and upon closer inspection on my Ventures I just noticed for the first time that the stock top washer actually almost touches the hanger. Hence the potential problem is not the bushing but the hanger. Probably a thing that every one who is awake is aware of, but this was new to me.

Thanks for pointing this out, will keep an eye on this. Got some spare Bones top washers, might try them out and see if it feels any different.

Yes, Flat top washer is a must have to unlock the full turning potential of your ventures. Riding them with stock washers feels like running with cuffs on your ankles.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

finecojeffe

• Rep: 139
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #4845 on: September 19, 2023, 06:50:39 AM »
recently picked up a set of 6.1. First set of ventures in almost 30 years for me. I really like them a lot for their pop and for flip tricks, however I did a few slappies and now I've got axle slip. I haven't had a truck with axle slip in so many years so I'm a little bummed on that. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4846 on: September 19, 2023, 06:54:18 AM »
recently picked up a set of 6.1. First set of ventures in almost 30 years for me. I really like them a lot for their pop and for flip tricks, however I did a few slappies and now I've got axle slip. I haven't had a truck with axle slip in so many years so I'm a little bummed on that. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad.

It's been said a bunch: DLX warranty is usually top notch. Definitely recommend reaching out to them, axle slip ought to be a thing of the past that we tell younger generations about to illustrate how tough we had it.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #4847 on: September 19, 2023, 06:57:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's been said a bunch: DLX warranty is usually top notch. Definitely recommend reaching out to them, axle slip ought to be a thing of the past that we tell younger generations about to illustrate how tough we had it.
thanks for the tip! I haven't gone through the thread much so I wasn't aware of the DLX warranty facts

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4848 on: September 19, 2023, 06:59:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
thanks for the tip! I haven't gone through the thread much so I wasn't aware of the DLX warranty facts

Sure thing! I wasn't taking a dig at you btw, just didn't want to make it sound like I was the first one to say that DLX got great customer service.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4849 on: September 19, 2023, 07:27:15 AM »
Seconded on the DLX warranty and after-sales service, they may take a while to respond based on my last experience in 2021. The main email on the DLX is pretty fast (https://www.dlxsf.com/warranty/) or Cameron ([email protected]) but he may not be with DLX anymore, worth a shot.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #4850 on: September 19, 2023, 08:28:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Sure thing! I wasn't taking a dig at you btw, just didn't want to make it sound like I was the first one to say that DLX got great customer service.
i took it as you giving me a tip, not in any negative way at all. It is appreciated.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #4851 on: September 19, 2023, 11:59:07 AM »
Let us know how it goes….

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4852 on: September 19, 2023, 01:53:38 PM »
When my last set of bushings shit the bed it took less than a week to get new ones at my door. If you want to speed up the process be sure to email them with a picture of the issue, detailed description, where you bought the trucks/receipts, as well as when you bought them.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4853 on: September 19, 2023, 03:45:37 PM »
another reason to support dlx.

i haven’t had a venture truck problem, since ….feather lights.
in that time i’ve had the breaking baseplates with indys, axle slip with indys, bent axle with indys. and a fair amount of small problems with ace.
in my head, indys are still the strongest tho, they just had a few runs of spotty mfg, long ago.

those feather lights tho….loved em, but between those and the world industries boards, something was gonna break that day

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #4854 on: September 20, 2023, 07:46:18 AM »
I'm not really sure how to photograph the issue. It wasn't slipping horribly, just the once and I tapped it back in. But I guess I should try a few more slappies to see if the problem repeats itself. I guess i could send a small video in email. Honestly though if it doesn't get worse, I'm lazy enough to not follow up, and might just probably toss some wheel spacers in to limit further slip.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4855 on: September 20, 2023, 01:40:33 PM »
Had a session with a Polar deck I had laying around. A little worn, 8.25 with 14.125WB (which is a lie, its 14.25). Huge difference. It give's me 36 degrees angle of pop, which is what I usually have. No more ghost pop!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4856 on: September 20, 2023, 06:24:07 PM »
Had a session with a Polar deck I had laying around. A little worn, 8.25 with 14.125WB (which is a lie, its 14.25). Huge difference. It give's me 36 degrees angle of pop, which is what I usually have. No more ghost pop!

That's what made me love Ventures and start my Goldilocks setup quest. Fitted some Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Low on a deck that was 1/2 way through it's life and the trucks instantly revived the pop, landed my best kickflips at the time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4857 on: September 20, 2023, 06:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What wheels are you on? I recently had issues and it turns out the bearing seats in my F4 were not to spec and it caused jamming.

Take the wheels off, mark the axles right next to hanger, tap on ground a bunch and see if the mark moves into the hanger.

Almost all trucks have washer/hanger bind especially Venture and Thunder. I personally am tall and don't need a Bones washer to get a good Venture turn I just lean harder.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4858 on: September 20, 2023, 07:49:54 PM »

How does the Polar deck compare to the DLX deck in terms of where the kicks are in relation to the drilled holes, or are they the same press by the look of it, or is one board longer in the middle flat than the other?

I have noticed that boards that are shorter in the middle flat area are often difficult for me to skate, whereas boards that are longer in the middle flat area are easier to skate, even with steeper kicks.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4859 on: September 20, 2023, 11:06:01 PM »
Middle flat?
It's a typical Polar 8.25. Ive skated a bunch of those, as Polar decks are often on sale here.
Wheel base is suppose to be 14.125, but its actually more like... 8.27-8.3, and length is more like 32, instead of 31.875.
The Real Mason deck has steeper kicks, and they start almost immediately after the bolts, pretty much. Not fingers of flat friendly :D