Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369240 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 313
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5130 on: November 07, 2023, 11:44:23 PM »
After a short stint on Indys, yesterday I got back on Ventures (5.6 V-Lights, 8.125 / 14.25 wb DLX deck) and shit just feels so f*cking right. My ollie just seems to naturally like Ventures. I keep having to "aim" it a lot more with Indys.

Once you're awake, you're awake, I guess. No sense in trying to go back to sleep.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5131 on: November 08, 2023, 07:00:20 AM »
Once you're awake, you're awake, I guess. No sense in trying to go back to sleep.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

chaosisme

• Rep: 59
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #5133 on: November 10, 2023, 08:11:28 AM »
Common theme of this thread:

"ventures are my favourite trucks and everything feels perfect, nothing could be better so I tried a different brand and didn't like them so I came back to venture"

mankind is unkind man

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #5134 on: November 10, 2023, 08:35:05 AM »

"ventures are my favourite trucks and everything feels perfect, nothing could be better so I tried a different brand and didn't like them so I came back to venture"

sometimes you've been awake too long and get a lil sleepy

rikki

« Reply #5135 on: November 10, 2023, 09:07:13 AM »

Dreams are usually just dreams.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #5136 on: November 10, 2023, 09:38:11 PM »
I am officially awake
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5137 on: November 11, 2023, 02:49:55 AM »
welcome back
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5138 on: November 11, 2023, 09:10:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dreams are usually just dreams.

hardly art, hardly starving

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #5139 on: November 13, 2023, 07:49:42 AM »
for the last 5 years of my skateboarding career i've been on 14.25 wb boards for the most parts, with literally like 5 boards that weren't that during this period. i became awake about a year and a half ago, only skated the 14.25 boards still and loved it. before that i was on aces and every attempt at a bigger wheelbase was unsuccessful and frustrating. recently i was given a slightly used 8.38 eagle and it got me wb curious, so i finally set it up with the classic 5.8s. i've only skated flat so far, in shoes i don't like, but it feels so fucking good. some tricks don't work yet but the ones that do work better than ever, at least it feels like this. i'm gonna take it to the park after work to see if it works on other stuff too but i'm pretty optimistic.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5140 on: November 13, 2023, 08:02:04 AM »
What are some similarities / differences of thunders and ventures...

based on 8.5 axle;

Ventures weight slightly more than thunders (380g vs. 364g on standard team models, pretty close)
Ventures are slightly more pushed out WB (3.125" on thunders, 3.25" on ventures, pretty close)
Thunders baseplate is slightly chunkier (thickest one possible on thunder? both are pretty similar though)
Thunders are slightly lower (52mm vs. 53.5mm for Venture, pretty close though)
Ventures have slightly more grind clearance
Ventures use a completely squared off cylindrical bottom bushing, where Thunders use one with a coned, rounded bottom (barrel bushing i think its called?) this is probably what causes the most difference in Thunders being the "wheelbite grenades" vs. Ventures being much more stable and predictable.
Both trucks hangars stick out in such a way so that when you crooked grind, the whole side of the hangar makes contact with the ledge.
Ventures kind of press in at the sides though where thunders are all one solid smooth shape. Not sure this has any impact on the performance of the truck though.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #5141 on: November 13, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »
for the last 5 years of my skateboarding career i've been on 14.25 wb boards for the most parts, with literally like 5 boards that weren't that during this period. i became awake about a year and a half ago, only skated the 14.25 boards still and loved it. before that i was on aces and every attempt at a bigger wheelbase was unsuccessful and frustrating. recently i was given a slightly used 8.38 eagle and it got me wb curious, so i finally set it up with the classic 5.8s. i've only skated flat so far, in shoes i don't like, but it feels so fucking good. some tricks don't work yet but the ones that do work better than ever, at least it feels like this. i'm gonna take it to the park after work to see if it works on other stuff too but i'm pretty optimistic.

gosh darn it: this isn’t helping my ‘madness’ desire to buy these exact same parts (5.8s, 8.38 eagle).

i have neither the 5.8s, nor that eagle, but i really want that setup, been thinking about it for the better part of the week. not sure if i’d prefer the 8.38 on 5.6s with big wheels…
i’ve been in gear purgatory, for quite awhile.
recently setup some 5.6 v-lights with monster truck wheels and loved the pop.
most of ‘decent’ skating was waaaaay long ago, small boards and that, and i’ve tried to use that type of stuff now and it’s just kind of miserable: i’m going even slower, i still haven’t learned nollie hardflips.
big old wheelbase boards are great for the 3 flip tricks i can do (nollie, switch, regular kickflips). the longer wheelbase does f with my 360 flips, but it’s a whole lot more fun, rn, to skate a decent speed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 11:45:05 AM by Ok »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #5142 on: November 13, 2023, 09:05:04 AM »
Rayssa Leal has a dunk coming in early 2024

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5143 on: November 13, 2023, 09:08:17 AM »
Rayssa Leal has a dunk coming in early 2024
but she isn't awake

sadnocomply

• Rep: 160
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5144 on: November 13, 2023, 05:41:19 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzmvZGXrLly/?igshid=MTI4bzAxdng3aGoycA==

What size deck and ventures is Stefan on? Anyone know

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5145 on: November 13, 2023, 06:30:48 PM »

8.125 deck, I'm guess 5.2s since his signature truck from way back was that size.

Or you could just DM him like a man.

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/stefan-janoski-audiocentric-8-125
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5146 on: November 13, 2023, 10:38:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

8.125 deck, I'm guess 5.2s since his signature truck from way back was that size.

He responded to my DMs- 8.125 or 8.38 with 5.2 V-lights and 51s

rikki

« Reply #5147 on: November 13, 2023, 11:03:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Seriously? 8.38 with 5.2s is hella magic carpet-y, yo.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5148 on: November 13, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »
It is, but Bobby Worrest does it, Ishod does 147s on 8.38, Reynolds has always done 139s on up to 8.5....

I feel like if you came up skating in the 90's or early 2000's it was far more common to magic carpet than hot rod. I honestly don't remember seeing any evidence of someone preferring to hot rod until the 2010's when it trended for pinching grinds.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5149 on: November 14, 2023, 12:22:46 AM »
Definetely makes sense for board flippers. Magic carper hits different if you flip your board often

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #5150 on: November 14, 2023, 03:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

gosh darn it: this isn’t helping my ‘madness’ desire to buy these exact same parts (5.8s, 8.38 eagle).

i have neither the 5.8s, nor that eagle, but i really want that setup, been thinking about it for the better part of the week. not sure if i’d prefer the 8.38 on 5.6s with big wheels…
i’ve been in gear purgatory, for quite awhile.
recently setup some 5.6 v-lights with monster truck wheels and loved the pop.
most of ‘decent’ skating was waaaaay long ago, small boards and that, and i’ve tried to use that type of stuff now and it’s just kind of miserable: i’m going even slower, i still haven’t learned nollie hardflips.
big old wheelbase boards are great for the 3 flip tricks i can do (nollie, switch, regular kickflips). the longer wheelbase does f with my 360 flips, but it’s a whole lot more fun, rn, to skate a decent speed.

fwiw i didn’t really enjoy it at the park but it was probably the shoes, since i didn’t like skating them on my standard set up either, i kept missing the flick. it felt very nice when just rolling around and ollieing and shit, ledges were fine, but i had trouble on the hip with tricks i usually do every try. i’ll give it a few more shots anyway because the stuff that felt good felt really good

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #5151 on: November 14, 2023, 07:30:29 AM »
i wish venture sold forged plate/kingpins. buy just the baseplate.

for those of you that have gone up to 6.1s, how do you like ?

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #5152 on: November 14, 2023, 10:12:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m no pro, but I ride an 8.25 w/ 5.25 lo, and I love it.
I rode venture lo’s from when they came out until about 04. With very brief stints on other trucks. Was on Thunder 147’s on an 8.25 earlier this year, after talking to a friend about his ventures I set mine back up. And I don’t think I’ll ever go back. My skating feels really good right now. I think the 5.25 lo is what I’m just so used to and comfortable with that it’s my perfect truck.
The magic carpet doesn’t bother me, and is hardly noticeable. I try to find a wider wheel and use two washers on the inside of the wheel. Which helps lessen the magic carpet effect.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5153 on: November 14, 2023, 10:35:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I rode venture lo’s from when they came out until about 04. With very brief stints on other trucks. Was on Thunder 147’s on an 8.25 earlier this year, after talking to a friend about his ventures I set mine back up. And I don’t think I’ll ever go back. My skating feels really good right now. I think the 5.25 lo is what I’m just so used to and comfortable with that it’s my perfect truck.
The magic carpet doesn’t bother me, and is hardly noticeable. I try to find a wider wheel and use two washers on the inside of the wheel. Which helps lessen the magic carpet effect.

Muscle memory is an amazing thing (just like riding a bike); look at Daddy Ben and his re-kindled love for Venture Los - I'm sure he's bounced around again, but he's been back on them for a hot minute.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5154 on: November 14, 2023, 10:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I thought this would be the case for me but I just couldn't get used to the pop feel and found that while it was easier to do certain tricks they were lower and just not as stable.

Ben has been on V Lights for a while as a compromise between a lo and high but he seems to pretty in tune with his nuances. What's crazy is that
The exact setup was one of the first ones he ever reviewed followed by 6 years of going back and forth pretending Indy or Thunder were the answer. I think madness just crushed his soul and he gave up the chase.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #5155 on: November 14, 2023, 10:51:25 AM »
It also seems that ben only skates his backyard TF for the most part now which is just ledges, curb, manny pad, flat and a small mini ramp all in a fairly contained area so makes sense that short board plus ventures works for that. If he was out skating parks, hips and different kinds of terrain maybe it would trigger some madness again who knows

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5156 on: November 14, 2023, 10:52:36 AM »
It also seems that ben only skates his backyard TF for the most part now which is just ledges, curb, manny pad, flat and a small mini ramp all in a fairly contained area so makes sense that short board plus ventures works for that. If he was out skating parks, hips and different kinds of terrain maybe it would trigger some madness again who knows

Indeed, he's using the right tool for what he's skating.

Speaking of tools...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #5157 on: November 14, 2023, 11:01:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indeed, he's using the right tool for what he's skating.

Speaking of tools...

speaking of tools?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5158 on: November 14, 2023, 11:33:41 AM »

To be fair to Ben he does have some street footy, that one park with the most perfect looking long ledge, and did that mini Youtuber tour.  But you're tho- for the most part its permutations of the same basic obstacles in almost the same dimensions. Which makes me wonder how come I can't get short boards and Ventures to work...

What I found with them was that the board just didn't fee as comfy and I missed the pop and no one is really interested in seeing my nollie heels that barely pop high enough for the wheels to clear.

rikki

« Reply #5159 on: November 15, 2023, 01:49:47 AM »
To be fair to Ben he does have some street footy, that one park with the most perfect looking long ledge, and did that mini Youtuber tour.  But you're tho- for the most part its permutations of the same basic obstacles in almost the same dimensions. Which makes me wonder how come I can't get short boards and Ventures to work...

What I found with them was that the board just didn't fee as comfy and I missed the pop and no one is really interested in seeing my nollie heels that barely pop high enough for the wheels to clear.

I feel you -- as much as I love Ventures, shorter decks / wb's just seem to f*ck me up. With the wide wb effect this is admittedly somehow counterintuitive. I don't know. Maybe it's just me and my muscle memory, but still.