Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 375416 times)

onkalo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5430 on: February 06, 2024, 01:34:25 PM »
So I have a question I’m hoping one of our resident gear freak scientists can assist with.

Basically I’m curious to try a set of 6.1 loose trucks, but I’m
Not 100% I’m going to take to them. As a precaution, and knowing Venture doesn’t sell aftermarket bushings.. I’m wondering if any of you can point me onto a set of after market bushings I can purchase that are comparable to the current bushings in a stick set of Ventures? (That felt like a mountain of explaining)!

As in, a replacement set of bushings that is drop in replacement, same size and durometer.

Deluxe supercush, indy bushings and doh dohs have worked well for me

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #5431 on: February 06, 2024, 01:43:42 PM »
So I have a question I’m hoping one of our resident gear freak scientists can assist with.

Basically I’m curious to try a set of 6.1 loose trucks, but I’m
Not 100% I’m going to take to them. As a precaution, and knowing Venture doesn’t sell aftermarket bushings.. I’m wondering if any of you can point me onto a set of after market bushings I can purchase that are comparable to the current bushings in a stick set of Ventures? (That felt like a mountain of explaining)!

As in, a replacement set of bushings that is drop in replacement, same size and durometer.
I don't think this fits your bill, but I run my Ventures with their loose conversation kit and that works well for how loose I like my trucks. I think it's the same durometer as the stock bushings, just with a smaller top. There's a graphic on this link that explains it.

https://www.firstgearskateshop.com/product/venture-loose-truck-conversion-kit/4851

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #5432 on: February 06, 2024, 01:54:42 PM »
Awesome! You guys are the best, thank you.

I tend to like looser on wider setups, so my interest is piqued on these. I actually have a set of Indy aftermarket’s sitting in a bin, so if worse comes to worse that’s what I’ll do.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Banned from the room

« Reply #5433 on: February 06, 2024, 05:17:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just plain don’t skate boards that big but what makes the bigger ventures so good?  I’d guess deeper turning?
[close]

Definitely a factor. I'm putting the new awesome purps in my 5.8s rn.

I'll have a better idea after that.

I gotta make the 6.1 the PT truck. It's funny to say but I just can't hang. My kickflips at regular cruiser speed hit primo 1/5 on the 6.1. On the 5.8 it's like 1/15. Could be the 9" bloard or the Radial full.

I'm doing a full mix up and cleaning of surfaces as I type.

But yeah
The turn is the ultimate boner factor of the 6.1.

Plus I been watching Brian O'Dwyer's Baker has a death wish over and over. I'm kinda done pretending to be Kader for a few weeks. Ive been finding myself rolling around whistling When the lights go down in the city everywhere I go.

6.1 in the spring. 5.8s rn. I'd do my 5.6s but I'm feeling Uber lazy post illness. Illnesses. This season has been brutal.here.
[close]

i shouldn’t skate sizes that big, it does nothing for my skating.
i am of the firm belief that wider trucks turn less, and that is why i like them: stability.

flea: does kader skate 6.1s? does BOD skate 5.8s?
 just by the by, board/truck sizes seem to be creeping towards smaller, but i’m not sure. feels like i’m seeing more overhang, less hotrod, maybe folks moving towards 5.6, from 5.8. but that’s just glancing at videos, hard to tell.

as far as who i’m trying to invoke with my ventures….nick matthews, Lavar, Puleo

I assumed he did. Remember he was riding 9" boards. That might be before tho.

After swapping the bushings over to the 5.8.  Either I gotta miracle set or the got the game changer formula.

I'm going to buy my next set in shop so I can single out the lighter purple bushings with the sparkling flake interior.
After that I'll know for 100 what happened.

Let hope the trend sticks around. Either way I got a set that barely freezes. Turn like a dream and got no obvious cracks forming.

I'm going to throw them in my old Indys sometime maybe. Indy super softs can hang in the winter at all.

I've had the loose trucks kit last winter and purps of broken bones the last like 4.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5434 on: February 09, 2024, 03:39:27 AM »

Is it time for Venture 2024???

Anyway, I had a rainy day and decided to see if I could drill out a set of baseplates at 1/4" difference and it is not pretty but it worked.  Had a bit of a skate just on flat doing a few ollies and minimal other stuff, but the angle of pop is more mellow than my other 8.38 on Indy standards, so this might be too much unless they redo the baseplates to resemble Thunder truck baseplate hole patterns, more so than having it in this far.

Posted on Instagram (below) but if anyone wants better / more / other pics, I can take some as well.

Venture truck baseplate redrill

* Drill bit should be 5 mm, to fit nicely but you can use a smaller one and widen out the holes too.

People had been talking about this for a while now, Eric Koston and others doing it for years, but recently Ishod Wair had some redrilled Venture trucks on his board in some clips and people were keen to see if it was worth the hype, so I drilled out a set of old Venture 5.6 trucks I had and I can say it definitely makes street stuff a lot easier on one of my old second hand 8.38 boards that has a 14.5 wheelbase.

These ones I drilled at 1/4" difference, so although the new holes are almost into the old holes they should hold up better than in something else like redrilling a deck.

Note, I have some old six hole baseplates which have 3/8" difference which I had set up and skated before but I think the 1/4" difference is better, so total 1/2" all up on these ones, not 3/4" shorter wheelbase as per those other older six hole trucks.

My method was not at all pretty and I only used what I had, but the metal drill bit worked very easily to get through the baseplate material, with some wood, bricks and boards set up as a temporary jig to hold the baseplates.

I would definitely make a bit more effort and get a smaller drill bit if I was doing this again in new or other trucks, but it works and I got the baseplates on straight enough this time.

These sit in a lot more than my usual Indy standards on the same deck, so I would say this would work well on longer wheelbase boards with shorter kicks, like these DLX 8.38 decks.

Also used an angle grinder on the lettering to take it down where the nut sits too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1133
« Reply #5435 on: February 09, 2024, 06:03:03 AM »

Is it time for Venture 2024???

Anyway, I had a rainy day and decided to see if I could drill out a set of baseplates at 1/4" difference and it is not pretty but it worked.  Had a bit of a skate just on flat doing a few ollies and minimal other stuff, but the angle of pop is more mellow than my other 8.38 on Indy standards, so this might be too much unless they redo the baseplates to resemble Thunder truck baseplate hole patterns, more so than having it in this far.

Posted on Instagram (below) but if anyone wants better / more / other pics, I can take some as well.

Venture truck baseplate redrill

* Drill bit should be 5 mm, to fit nicely but you can use a smaller one and widen out the holes too.

People had been talking about this for a while now, Eric Koston and others doing it for years, but recently Ishod Wair had some redrilled Venture trucks on his board in some clips and people were keen to see if it was worth the hype, so I drilled out a set of old Venture 5.6 trucks I had and I can say it definitely makes street stuff a lot easier on one of my old second hand 8.38 boards that has a 14.5 wheelbase.

These ones I drilled at 1/4" difference, so although the new holes are almost into the old holes they should hold up better than in something else like redrilling a deck.

Note, I have some old six hole baseplates which have 3/8" difference which I had set up and skated before but I think the 1/4" difference is better, so total 1/2" all up on these ones, not 3/4" shorter wheelbase as per those other older six hole trucks.

My method was not at all pretty and I only used what I had, but the metal drill bit worked very easily to get through the baseplate material, with some wood, bricks and boards set up as a temporary jig to hold the baseplates.

I would definitely make a bit more effort and get a smaller drill bit if I was doing this again in new or other trucks, but it works and I got the baseplates on straight enough this time.

These sit in a lot more than my usual Indy standards on the same deck, so I would say this would work well on longer wheelbase boards with shorter kicks, like these DLX 8.38 decks.

Also used an angle grinder on the lettering to take it down where the nut sits too.

THANK YOU

rikki

• Rep: 328
« Reply #5436 on: February 09, 2024, 08:43:46 AM »
Appreciate the effort. The tiny tiny space between the new and old holes looks pretty sketchy though. Wonder how that will hold in serious ass skating?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2002
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5437 on: February 09, 2024, 08:50:37 AM »
@Mbrimson88 doing DLX's work for them, thank you.

How much did it shift the wheelbase in? Always wondered what a Venture / Thunder / Indy hybrid would skate like, that isn't the new Royal standard.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #5438 on: February 09, 2024, 09:19:55 AM »
Appreciate the effort. The tiny tiny space between the new and old holes looks pretty sketchy though. Wonder how that will hold in serious ass skating?

also would be my biggest worry if i decided to try this

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #5439 on: February 09, 2024, 10:16:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think if you plugged the old holes with something like JB weld that would provide enough strength for there to be no issue.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #5440 on: February 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think if you plugged the old holes with something like JB weld that would provide enough strength for there to be no issue.

this satisfies my worry, thanks

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5441 on: February 09, 2024, 12:44:02 PM »
1/4” seems to be much much better, wheelbase wise, compared to 3/8”

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5442 on: February 09, 2024, 02:30:49 PM »
Tried out the 6.1 loose truck today and it is entirely too loose for my skating. It feels great, even extremely fun to skate, but I flip my board a lot and it’s too unstable for that.

I would really love them if I was a cruiser type or intended to skate transition with Ventures (I’d just switch back to Ace).

So anyways that experience was extremely short lived, and I’m gonna use my usual doh doh’s.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5443 on: February 09, 2024, 03:09:09 PM »
Tried out the 6.1 loose truck today and it is entirely too loose for my skating. It feels great, even extremely fun to skate, but I flip my board a lot and it’s too unstable for that.

I would really love them if I was a cruiser type or intended to skate transition with Ventures (I’d just switch back to Ace).

So anyways that experience was extremely short lived, and I’m gonna use my usual doh doh’s.

what doh doh’s do you like?

i’ve had a similar experience: for me, super loose ventures take away from their pop, which is my favorite aspect

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5444 on: February 09, 2024, 03:12:25 PM »
I’ve always had great success with doh doh reds. Before Ace was producing hard bushings they were my go to.

*for reference I weigh about 180lbs*
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5445 on: February 09, 2024, 03:31:38 PM »
I’ve always had great success with doh doh reds. Before Ace was producing hard bushings they were my go to.

I am about the same weight and when I tried the Venture bushings, they worked under certain conditions for me.  Nut flush was way too loose, but nut down approximately two threads where I would usually have the 92 duro low head bushings on my Indy trucks (then angle grinding off the top of the kingpin) they worked great.

Not suggesting to angle grind down the kingpin unless you have the truck down to axle or need the clearance, but that is the option I put forward to anyone who either needs them a little looser, or needs clearance.

I guess though people are very unwilling to have the nut down further so kingpin threads are showing, which I totally understand too - kingpins are not fun to catch on anything, compared to the softer metal of the nuts which don't cause grind hangups, etc.

If you did put them back in and try them not by looking at how many threads are showing but doing them up to where it is comfortable for your turn and stability, they work well once they break in nicely - often just a session or two as per any usual stock Venture bushings anyway.

* On the other hand, if you feel like the Doh Doh reds at 95 duro are most comfortable, then I totally understand that too.  Firmer bushings are way better for pretty much everything, but even to trim them down some, they still allow for turn without mushing out too much.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5446 on: February 09, 2024, 03:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am about the same weight and when I tried the Venture bushings, they worked under certain conditions for me.  Nut flush was way too loose, but nut down approximately two threads where I would usually have the low head bushings on my Indy trucks (then angle grinding off the top of the kingpin) they worked great.

Not suggesting to angle grind down the kingpin unless you have the truck down to axle or need the clearance, but that is the option I put forward to anyone who either needs them a little looser, or needs clearance.

I guess though people are very unwilling to have the nut down further so kingpin threads are showing, which I totally understand too - kingpins are not fun to catch on anything, compared to the softer metal of the nuts which don't cause grind hangups, etc.

If you did put them back in and try them not by looking at how many threads are showing but doing them up to where it is comfortable for your turn and stability, they work well once they break in nicely - often just a session or two as per any usual stock Venture bushings anyway.

This is solid advice. I’m not personally precious or superstitious about threads showing, so I may give this a shake. I mean I’d like to be able to use these for their intended purpose. Maybe I won’t be so hasty to swap just yet.

I’ll report back my findings after I put more time in.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5447 on: February 09, 2024, 03:43:52 PM »
@Mbrimson88 doing DLX's work for them, thank you.

How much did it shift the wheelbase in? Always wondered what a Venture / Thunder / Indy hybrid would skate like, that isn't the new Royal standard.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

this satisfies my worry, thanks

To go back over questions / comments:

These are drilled with a 6 mm drill bit - was all I had here, so the usual 5 mm drill bit would have more of a gap between the old holes and the new for a 1/4" difference and probably would hold up way better as well, but in general I have never seen truck mounting bolt holes widen out or move with hardware that was done up correctly and stayed tight.

Each truck at 1/4" difference, so to skate both trucks in the new holes adds up to a 1/2" total wheelbase reduction, which is better than the 3/8" each and total of 3/4" wheelbase reduction.

After all the checking and fiddling with things, I really do think that the Venture baseplate would be so good if the holes were drilled more like a Thunder baseplate, so pretty much centered, compared to even this option which is at either end of the baseplate, more so than being more middle ground.

That would open up a lot more options for riding Venture trucks, if they sat in just a little more and make them feel very comfortable on almost any board, especially the steeper ones that I have tried the old six hole baseplates on previously, which didn't really work on any longer wheelbase truck, especially Ventures.

I am guessing there would always be those who would prefer them as they are, left untouched and not moving the mounting holes at all and that is fine, no issues there for those people, so I guess it is a bit of a here or there option - stick with what is currently the normal truck, or try it with middle holes like Thunder and just see if that changes it just enough that it would work well for others who are not fans of Venture trucks.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:58:16 PM by Mbrimson88 »

soot_yawd

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5448 on: February 10, 2024, 08:15:18 AM »
Gear madness is creeping in. I’m wanting to try some 5.2 lows. But I don’t want to size down to an 8.0 deck. (I usually ride 8.25, 8.38, or 8.5). Has anyone paired and liked a 5.2 lo on a 8.25 deck?

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #5449 on: February 10, 2024, 09:57:14 AM »
Gear madness is creeping in. I’m wanting to try some 5.2 lows. But I don’t want to size down to an 8.0 deck. (I usually ride 8.25, 8.38, or 8.5). Has anyone paired and liked a 5.2 lo on a 8.25 deck?

Go for it.  Everyone has their own preference, but I sometimes ride the April 8.125 which is actually 8.18 on 5.2 lows.  I think it feels pretty good.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1601
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5450 on: February 10, 2024, 03:34:14 PM »
I don't think Ben D skates an 8" when he's on the lows.....

Banned from the room

« Reply #5451 on: February 10, 2024, 05:10:40 PM »

I've noticed that most older Venture plate breaks are ears breaking off.

Other trucks broke across the center of the plates and might cross where the new pin side holes. My personal experience is Ventures axles will usually bend or break before the dlx plates. I like to swap hangers and run plates for 2 or 3 truck upgrade. Never had a problem yet.

I used to break tons of trucks in the 90s and 2000s. Brand New tensors once too. Definitely their fault.

Banned from the room

« Reply #5452 on: February 10, 2024, 05:16:53 PM »
I swapped more bushings around today.

I found some newish green thunder bushings. Pulled them for my 5.8. now I'm on the bad ass purps and a renewed loose trucks kit.

Indy super softs are unneeded again at this time because my 5.6 set up has a shaved set of purps in um that are also pretty well manufactured too.

I tried the 139 for a few seconds with the 6.1s top bushings I might have a lucky set. They're better than the Indy stock.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5453 on: February 16, 2024, 11:05:30 AM »

8.125"? Split the difference? I've ridden 8.0 on 8.25s with no issues, they did have more taper so it wasn't a boaty feel.

Gland Dongzig

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5454 on: February 17, 2024, 03:27:06 PM »
For shop day I got some 5.8’s in the loose version and as someone who has had to modify their Venture bushings for 2 decades..I really enjoy the first session on them. Almost a little too loose at nut flush which I never thought possible

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5455 on: February 17, 2024, 04:17:01 PM »
For shop day I got some 5.8’s in the loose version and as someone who has had to modify their Venture bushings for 2 decades..I really enjoy the first session on them. Almost a little too loose at nut flush which I never thought possible

you must have the balance of a cat, light as a feather. nut flush loose trucks kit and i’m not sure i could
roll

Gland Dongzig

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5456 on: February 17, 2024, 06:35:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you must have the balance of a cat, light as a feather. nut flush loose trucks kit and i’m not sure i could
roll

haha so accurate..for the first time in decades 3 flips have left the building fosho but Im learning to be ok with that

Banned from the room

« Reply #5457 on: February 17, 2024, 06:37:21 PM »

I know!!! Isn't it the best.

No other truck ever will match the New TOTAL Venture vibe. They have it all now. Lows. Good purps. Cut green bushing option. Wooden 3ply risers that match. They got Thunder for people who don't wanna ride the ACTUAL best.

We are living Pals.
AndYo
Everyone who tries my set ups without looking, who's been around since baby bloards says. YO! THATS VENTURE!?! That feels like an Indy 7 or 8.
I'm just like I wouldn't know. I was in the Natas click. I'm looking for that Grind King King Pin that's too long for the hanger fuckin Gullwing feeling.

Speed whobbles happen like never even with the jingles going. My fuckin purples even jingle in my 6.1s. of say at this time I've won. Idk how I did it. Now no one can call my shits broken.

Banned from the room

« Reply #5458 on: February 17, 2024, 06:47:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

roll

It feels so good tho. Even when it's like 0⁰ outside. It's the church of skatan giving back. They seen the glory of Julian Matt Rodriguez and Daewon and and now Ishod and Asta. Two of the greatest styles of the day Rides their shit funky.

Maybe my transmission finally hit interstellar and sampled my years of stoked and not stoked. The skate godts are wanting to see people turn really quickly and the switch hard the set like it was Disco inferno night.

Golden age of products. Maybe Indy will put the stupid cross back on to try to get back to where they where before dlx had the stones to pick up the legacy and make it available to US to Venture 2020 and save the planet

Banned from the room

« Reply #5459 on: February 17, 2024, 06:52:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

roll
[close]

haha so accurate..for the first time in decades 3 flips have left the building fosho but Im learning to be ok with that

They'll be back. At first I had 2.5 on my back truck flush in the front.
Hopefully the green los are as good as the new Purps. At the end of my GLos I was full crumble with just a little green ring on the front truck.
Going back to Indy super softs also was the worst. I misscut like 3 old spare Purps try to get back but wasn't successful.