Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369237 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 47
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5520 on: March 15, 2024, 03:58:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just recently went from skating Ace 159s to Venture 5.7
[close]

This guy's ordering his truck sizes off the secret menu.
[close]

;D ;D ;D

before my auntie died, there was a few things she would remember to tell me before I would leave the house:The first was to always make sure I had sex on my mind; this would let me be smooth and cunning. The second was to always have money in my pocket to spend on a woman, the third was to always have my penis outside of my underwear but inside my pants.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5521 on: March 15, 2024, 04:11:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just recently went from skating Ace 159s to Venture 5.7
[close]

This guy's ordering his truck sizes off the secret menu.
[close]

;D ;D ;D
[close]

before my auntie died, there was a few things she would remember to tell me before I would leave the house:The first was to always make sure I had sex on my mind; this would let me be smooth and cunning. The second was to always have money in my pocket to spend on a woman, the third was to always have my penis outside of my underwear but inside my pants.
the first bit is gold
no better way to start my friday
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5522 on: March 15, 2024, 04:23:59 PM »
venture x star team east village
dont know the sizes or models
too cool to include it in the post i guess

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Banned from the room

« Reply #5523 on: March 15, 2024, 06:17:03 PM »
venture x star team east village
dont know the sizes or models
too cool to include it in the post i guess

Those are dope. Very classy graphic.

Listen to this sound!!! Tha k you Moody and Jenkem and Venture.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4gPQ18uui0/?igsh=MWp6Nzl0NDR2bDZzag==

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 07:46:17 PM by Uncle Flea »

Pasta Monster

« Reply #5524 on: March 16, 2024, 04:55:55 AM »
The Venture x Star Team are polished team editions that are available in 5.6 and 5.8

Star Team, founded by Venture rider Kyota Umeki. Star Team has deep roots in the east village and is known for pumping out unique soft goods and accessories and always supporting the New York skate scene. Polished hanger, polished baseplate. Standard Kingpin. Standard Axle. Clear 90A Durometer Bushings.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #5525 on: March 16, 2024, 06:14:22 PM »
putting an indy hollow baseplate bottom to bottom with a venture cast plate….almost looks like where the holes would be for the koston drill out.

Banned from the room

« Reply #5526 on: March 16, 2024, 06:53:21 PM »
putting an indy hollow baseplate bottom to bottom with a venture cast plate….almost looks like where the holes would be for the koston drill out.

Exactly what I suspected. Just put um back to back and drill um. I might try. Next board I got over 14.24

I get nervous messing with what I think is perfection butbi have mad extra plates as I usually only swap hangers every 6 months or so. .

I'm on a sub 14" wb shape with 5.8s and i just got back from having the session of the year so far.

2024 is going to be all gains again. My nollie powers are making me the happiest on this day. This is the year of nollies I think.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5527 on: March 16, 2024, 07:54:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly what I suspected. Just put um back to back and drill um. I might try. Next board I got over 14.24

I get nervous messing with what I think is perfection butbi have mad extra plates as I usually only swap hangers every 6 months or so. .

I'm on a sub 14" wb shape with 5.8s and i just got back from having the session of the year so far.

2024 is going to be all gains again. My nollie powers are making me the happiest on this day. This is the year of nollies I think.

session of the year!!!! i love it. not how my sessions went today, but i loved being outside.
a good nollie….that is actually my go to. new setup? nollie first. something about that trick feels safe. my flatground ollie’s, once my sharpest arrow, now are pretty flappy, out of sorts.
i’ve been messing around with too many different setups, and boards of any shape and size, so i really have very little familiarity. nollie was buggin today.

on topic: i’ve been skating an 8.38 generic generator board, with 6.1s, and 55 dragons. i mean i’ve been skating a lot of shit, too many old parts and pieces. but i’ve kept coming back to this setup.
swapped in 5.6s, with the forged baseplate. didn’t want to do this, because i….am sick of myself tinkering with shit. but while the 6.1s on hills and doing regular ollie’s are mint, those same 6.1s vs my baby-legged treflip attempts have been….shit.
setup felt about the same, less poppy, easier rotation. landed some really really reeeeeeally slow, bad, not decent treflips.
360 flips used to be easier than kickflips. now they most definitely are not.

Banned from the room

« Reply #5528 on: March 17, 2024, 04:56:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

session of the year!!!! i love it. not how my sessions went today, but i loved being outside.
a good nollie….that is actually my go to. new setup? nollie first. something about that trick feels safe. my flatground ollie’s, once my sharpest arrow, now are pretty flappy, out of sorts.
i’ve been messing around with too many different setups, and boards of any shape and size, so i really have very little familiarity. nollie was buggin today.

on topic: i’ve been skating an 8.38 generic generator board, with 6.1s, and 55 dragons. i mean i’ve been skating a lot of shit, too many old parts and pieces. but i’ve kept coming back to this setup.
swapped in 5.6s, with the forged baseplate. didn’t want to do this, because i….am sick of myself tinkering with shit. but while the 6.1s on hills and doing regular ollie’s are mint, those same 6.1s vs my baby-legged treflip attempts have been….shit.
setup felt about the same, less poppy, easier rotation. landed some really really reeeeeeally slow, bad, not decent treflips.
360 flips used to be easier than kickflips. now they most definitely are not.

I full agree next purchase of trucks I'm just getting 5.8s. Those are fine up to low 9s.

I'm so in love with my current set up. As the weather gets warmer the sessions keep getting better

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5529 on: March 17, 2024, 07:01:32 PM »

I got inspired by @Mbrimson88 and double drilled a venture baseplate.

I only did one as I like long tails (6.8 or so) and now I can make a 6.5 tail longer.

These are forged plates, and the new holes are offset 3/8”.

I connected a 6 hole baseplate to a the venture plate using mounting hardware. The 6 hole plate acted like a jig for me to position the drill.

I’ve redrilled decks like this before, but never trucks, and im hyped because up next I’ll skate the 8” flight deck that I got gifted last month and it can have a longer tail.

Thanks for the hype @Mbrimson88 and for recommending a 5mm drillbit.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #5530 on: March 17, 2024, 07:33:28 PM »

I only did one as I like long tails (6.8 or so) and now I can make a 6.5 tail longer.

I connected a 6 hole baseplate to a the venture plate using mounting hardware. The 6 hole plate acted like a jig for me to position the drill.

I’ve redrilled decks like this before, but never trucks, and im hyped because up next I’ll skate the 8” flight deck that I got gifted last month and it can have a longer tail.

looking forward to seeing how you like them. ive been wondering how it would be setting up a different back truck to push the WB in and give the tail a little more length/mellow feeling, but this would probably be a better solution since weight/height/geo will be consistent

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #5531 on: March 17, 2024, 07:36:38 PM »
also, Westgate put out some park clips on IG and man now i really wanna buy another set of 5.2 hollows. that last back 50 was buck

Mooseknuckle666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5532 on: March 17, 2024, 08:56:40 PM »
Ventures on anything over a 14 inch wheelbase?
I wanna try different boards with 8.25 wheelbases but it just seems like ima hate it
Anyone skate this or has skated before ?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #5533 on: March 17, 2024, 09:16:56 PM »
I'd go as far as saying most people who ride Ventures ride over a 14" wheelbase...it's just how much does it bother them...

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #5534 on: March 18, 2024, 12:50:43 AM »
I wanna try different boards with 8.25 wheelbases but it just seems like ima hate it

I love my 5.6 V-Lights (forged baseplate) on a 14.25 wb deck. My pop is way better compared to the same deck with Indys. Pretty sure I'd enjoy Ventures on a 14.38 wb as well.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5535 on: March 18, 2024, 02:28:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

looking forward to seeing how you like them. ive been wondering how it would be setting up a different back truck to push the WB in and give the tail a little more length/mellow feeling, but this would probably be a better solution since weight/height/geo will be consistent

Ha yeah, so good!!!

Drilling them out means it makes it so much easier to move them as required, but I think quite a few people might only move the back truck up, more so than both on many boards, because it just brings it in too far, but having a little longer tail and a more in between wheelbase would really work well with those Ventures on any steeper boards.  At least it did on a few I tried anyway.

Even on my usual DLX 8.38 boards, the nose is really good as is, so moving the tail up means I have more of a medium wheelbase and a decent tail.

I am about to try it on the new DLX 8.86 Jimmy Wilkins board with the 15 wb, just the tail up to bring it back to something very similar to the 8.75 board, on Venture 6.1 trucks, so I will see how that goes, without having to redrill the board, otherwise maybe drilling up the tail 3/8" and trying other trucks like Indy or Thunder on it might also work well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #5536 on: March 18, 2024, 04:03:31 AM »

had em on 14.25, 14.38, 14.5, it all works fine. i usually do 14.25, i hate anything shorter

Luismps

• Rep: 9
« Reply #5537 on: March 18, 2024, 04:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

had em on 14.25, 14.38, 14.5, it all works fine. i usually do 14.25, i hate anything shorter

Agree!
Im on a mellow tail (6.5) baker 8.25, and is very light and easy.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
« Reply #5538 on: March 18, 2024, 06:34:01 AM »
Just had the machinist homie drill me two sets of baseplates at 1/4”. For a set of 5.8 and 6.1 (respectively).

I’m yet to try them out as I’ve been riding smaller setups the last couple sessions.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5539 on: March 18, 2024, 11:18:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've done 14, 14.25, 14.38 and no problems, provided the deck is longer than 31.5, ideal length is 32 but not longer than 32.25
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #5540 on: March 18, 2024, 11:19:20 AM »
Ishod still skating ventures…

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5541 on: March 18, 2024, 12:33:30 PM »

are his drilled funky?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5542 on: March 18, 2024, 03:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

are his drilled funky?

They were from the clips people had posted previously, not sure if it was 1/4" or 3/8" or what, but definitely two sets of holes in those baseplates on the close up view.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

left-nut

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5543 on: March 18, 2024, 05:41:41 PM »
About to fall back down the rabbit hole again and try the v-hollow 5.8s I’ve been sitting on. What are y’all’s favorite 8.5 decks to ride on ventures? With thunders I like medium/mellow concave, and at least 32” length with 14.25 wheelbase, but I’m not sure where to start with ventures.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5544 on: March 18, 2024, 06:11:39 PM »
About to fall back down the rabbit hole again and try the v-hollow 5.8s I’ve been sitting on. What are y’all’s favorite 8.5 decks to ride on ventures? With thunders I like medium/mellow concave, and at least 32” length with 14.25 wheelbase, but I’m not sure where to start with ventures.

i have not done a good job of finding decks i really like. i’ve been focused on trying most things.
i’m currently skating an 8.38 that has a 14.5 wb, with forged 5.6s. it works well enough.
i don’t ascribe to the effective wb talk, for me, because it hasn’t borne positive results, for me. i love it for others.
i’m not adding anything useful here, hopefully some folks with some strong opinions chime in

Banned from the room

« Reply #5545 on: March 18, 2024, 10:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I love my 5.6 V-Lights (forged baseplate) on a 14.25 wb deck. My pop is way better compared to the same deck with Indys. Pretty sure I'd enjoy Ventures on a 14.38 wb as well.

I like ventures on everything. Ace classic too. Those are my two favorite trucks though they're pretty opposite.
I think the kingpin angle is the same tho and why they get equally dumpy with their top bushings chopped.

Thunders don't agree with a smaller top. Washers work tho.

Barack Hussein

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5546 on: March 19, 2024, 08:51:54 AM »
No one rides Ventures where I'm from. I've never stepped foot on them on anyone elses board or anything. Should I get some 6.1s? I've only ever been on Indy and Ace - kinda just lookin to try something new. Always been a loose trucks transition guy who sucks at popping tricks other than ollies up a curb or something.

I'm kinda intrigued by the fact that they push out the wheelbase and apparently have magic pop properties. Stability too. Thinking they might be my ticket to try out some shorter wheelbases that would typically be off limits for me due to being tall. Get my frieekin pop on. Bomb some hills worry/wobble free?!

I'm kinda torn between trying to roll stock purples with a flat washer, or just cop the new loose ventures that come with the shorter green bushings. Anyone have insights on those options? I feel like if I'm trying some Ventures, I want em to feel like Ventures

Jackismydogsname

• Rep: 9
« Reply #5547 on: March 19, 2024, 09:32:40 AM »
Try the flat washer with stock with the nut flush and ride it for a week. As the bushings conform around the hanger inside they become more stable and comfortable.
If you're under 150lbs order the loose kit from the get go.
I am an Indy/Ace with hard bushings person but Ventures really do help with popping in the split second before take off and after landing. 

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #5548 on: March 19, 2024, 10:28:57 AM »
I'm 145 lbs and have never considered the loose kit as an option. I want my Ventures as snappy, poppy and stable as possible. And I use the stock washer.

Best trucks ever in my opinion. Every truck's a compromise of sorts, and for me Venture is the best compromise. They shine especially on street as everyone knows, but I can ride transition on them pretty much as good as on any other truck. Sure, they don't grind like Indys, but if you go fast and hard enough you won't be lacking. I've never once thought that they don't turn well enough. Just go fucking fast and hard. They'll turn.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5549 on: March 19, 2024, 11:50:44 AM »
I'm 145 lbs and have never considered the loose kit as an option. I want my Ventures as snappy, poppy and stable as possible. And I use the stock washer.

Best trucks ever in my opinion. Every truck's a compromise of sorts, and for me Venture is the best compromise. They shine especially on street as everyone knows, but I can ride transition on them pretty much as good as on any other truck. Sure, they don't grind like Indys, but if you go fast and hard enough you won't be lacking. I've never once thought that they don't turn well enough. Just go fucking fast and hard. They'll turn.

once its broken in they all seem to grind the same to me...