Author Topic: Loose Fit Pants  (Read 233254 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Loose Fit Pants
« Reply #2160 on: December 13, 2022, 06:30:48 AM »
I got a pair of black 560s off Depop awhile ago and when they arrived they fit like Jerry Seinfeld's pants. I was about to send them back until I realized that they (poorly) sewed them to be tighter and I was able to get them back to their original fit.

But even so, my blue ones are still slightly baggier.

Hey guys rate my fit

For real though thanks for the heads up.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2161 on: December 13, 2022, 06:31:07 AM »
Levi's has pretty bad QC now. I've got a few pair of sale 550's and they're slightly tapered to straight leg it doesn't make sense. I go 1-2 waste sizes up usually.

What I've recommended before is wait for a sale and get the big and tall with like a 36 and have a tailor hem and taper them. My tailor charged $10 for each and right now a 550 is $34

Also I was already feeling self conscious about wearing Tiagos, but those Seinfeld images hammer home my lack of style. I kinda feel Reynolds has some baggier Seinfeld fits.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #2162 on: December 13, 2022, 07:01:06 AM »
Levi's has pretty bad QC now. I've got a few pair of sale 550's and they're slightly tapered to straight leg it doesn't make sense. I go 1-2 waste sizes up usually.

What happened to Levi's is depressing. You can choose between regular Levi's with paper thin material, stretch Levi's which are like wearing your own personal, plastic sauna, or Levi Strauss Signature, which are now basically the same quality as the "good ones". I'm sure that there's a trick to finding the good ones, like you must buy their selvedge models or something, but that's too much work. Of course, the good news is that there are enough used pairs of Levi's floating around that the world could probably stop producing pants for a few decades before we'd run out of them. Still though, a tragedy for one of the great American clothing makers.

I recently picked up some Lee Jeans from my neighborhood thrift store. I don't know their model names or numbers, and I don't know where to find them, but they are the perfect not-too-baggy baggy pants for me. Generous through the hip, good height in the crotch, and definitely loose enough to skate in without being baggy like a pair of Big Boys or even the two pairs of baggy CCS pants I have. Also the denim and construction appear to be of a pretty high quality.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1954
« Reply #2163 on: December 13, 2022, 07:10:42 AM »
I tend to thrift my Levi's, and even among the oldest most worn pairs they almost always last longer than any new pairs I buy.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #2164 on: December 13, 2022, 07:29:08 AM »
I know the ones they carry in most stores (Kohl's, Walmart, etc.) are apparently lower quality on purpose. I've heard other brands do that too. I don't know exact details. Specifically the "signature" ones are advertised as an economy line on their site, but I think it goes beyond that.

However their site has a handful of pants specifically labeled "premium" that I think are their highER quality line?: https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/premium/c/levi_clothing_premium_us/facets/feature-size_group/men%27s/productitemtype/jeans/productitemtype/pants

The ones I grabbed were Premium (crazy holiday sale so was basically same price anyways) and the stretch material on my pair had lyocel to make them more breathable. Obviously it's winter so I can't truly test them, but they seem cool temp compared to other pants I own.

I don't know anything beyond that, but maybe keep an eye out for premium?

I tend to thrift my Levi's, and even among the oldest most worn pairs they almost always last longer than any new pairs I buy.

But this is the true advice. I just needed some new pants since I haven't gotten any in forever.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 07:50:08 AM by FuzzGNU »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2165 on: December 13, 2022, 08:04:40 AM »
I know the ones they carry in most stores (Kohl's, Walmart, etc.) are apparently lower quality on purpose. I've heard other brands do that too. I don't know exact details. Specifically the "signature" ones are advertised as an economy line on their site, but I think it goes beyond that.

However their site has a handful of pants specifically labeled "premium" that I think are their highER quality line?: https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/premium/c/levi_clothing_premium_us/facets/feature-size_group/men%27s/productitemtype/jeans/productitemtype/pants

The ones I grabbed were Premium (crazy holiday sale so was basically same price anyways) and the stretch material on my pair had lyocel to make them more breathable. Obviously it's winter so I can't truly test them, but they seem cool temp compared to other pants I own.

I don't know anything beyond that, but maybe keep an eye out for premium?

Expand Quote
[close]

But this is the true advice. I just needed some new pants since I haven't gotten any in forever.

I have no doubt that Levi's still produces a high quality pair of jeans, but the fact that you must go searching for it, and that they sell a lower quality version of their "regular" jeans (not the cheap Signature stuff) which appears to be otherwise identical to the good stuff, means that I have absolutely no interest in purchasing from them. Also, among those "Premium" jeans, there are 17 pairs of polyester stretch pants and 7 pairs of actual denim jeans. I know some people like the stretch stuff, but I am bothered by the fact that it will all live in a landfill forever and I typically hate the way the material feels.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2166 on: December 13, 2022, 08:54:50 AM »
I understand the attachment to Levi’s and I hope too but…..it’s worse than dickies, a brand that we want to like, but the product always falls short….

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2167 on: December 13, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »
Expand Quote
i've been skating in nothing but levi 560's i get off ebay, super baggy and tapered at the bottom. they usually only cost like $25 since they've been discontinued. watch out for the black ones tho because they're made different and aren't as baggy as the light blue ones
[close]

Yeah those sound great for skating, and what I've been looking for. Why the hell did they discontinue them? I think I'll do the same next time I need pants.

Hmm I wonder why the black are less baggy... Stretch material that got washed by the previous owner too hot maybe? Seems like black typically means stretch material with Levi's?

Expand Quote
What you want are Levi's 550 or 569
[close]

I used to wear nothing but 550 and I'm just so over them. I would maybe wear them again in a black stretch, but they didn't have any available.

I think 569 might not be for me. Not a fan of straight leg and those openings are even bigger than 550.

Thanks for looking out.

yeah this video is what sealed the deal for me. skip to 3:45
also, make sure they have the comfort fit label on them, i bought two pairs with the comfort fit label and one pair that didn't have the lable (balack ones made in the usa) and the two with the label (made in central america) are way baggier.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:35:19 AM by Not me »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2168 on: December 13, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What happened to Levi's is depressing. You can choose between regular Levi's with paper thin material, stretch Levi's which are like wearing your own personal, plastic sauna, or Levi Strauss Signature, which are now basically the same quality as the "good ones". I'm sure that there's a trick to finding the good ones, like you must buy their selvedge models or something, but that's too much work. Of course, the good news is that there are enough used pairs of Levi's floating around that the world could probably stop producing pants for a few decades before we'd run out of them. Still though, a tragedy for one of the great American clothing makers.

I recently picked up some Lee Jeans from my neighborhood thrift store. I don't know their model names or numbers, and I don't know where to find them, but they are the perfect not-too-baggy baggy pants for me. Generous through the hip, good height in the crotch, and definitely loose enough to skate in without being baggy like a pair of Big Boys or even the two pairs of baggy CCS pants I have. Also the denim and construction appear to be of a pretty high quality.

A Levi's employee told me once that anything you get from an online or big box retailer is a lesser quality so the shit online is the same as you'd get at Kohl's. According to them, the best Levi's stuff is sold in the physical flagship stores and by upper tier department stores like Nordstroms. Which, if you like the looser fits, does fuck all for you because they only carry slimmer fits in store.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2169 on: December 13, 2022, 09:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

A Levi's employee told me once that anything you get from an online or big box retailer is a lesser quality so the shit online is the same as you'd get at Kohl's. According to them, the best Levi's stuff is sold in the physical flagship stores and by upper tier department stores like Nordstroms. Which, if you like the looser fits, does fuck all for you because they only carry slimmer fits in store.

So yeah, then my theory is correct. They have a "Signature" line, which is supposed to be their budget Walmart stuff, but they also make a regular line of Levi's which are intended to appear identical to the good stuff but which suck. Great reason to never shop from them.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #2170 on: December 13, 2022, 10:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hmm even from their own site? Because when shopping, the checkout had an option of picking it up at a local flagship store.

I believe you, it's just wild.

Agreed. I hadn't bought from them in forever, but the sale was nuts so I figured it's worth it. Honestly happy with the Chinos (love the EZ waist), and happy enough with the other pair. Hopefully they both last.

Definitely thrifting some 560 comforts next time I need pants. Thanks for the info guys!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2171 on: December 13, 2022, 10:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i've been skating in nothing but levi 560's i get off ebay, super baggy and tapered at the bottom. they usually only cost like $25 since they've been discontinued. watch out for the black ones tho because they're made different and aren't as baggy as the light blue ones
[close]

Yeah those sound great for skating, and what I've been looking for. Why the hell did they discontinue them? I think I'll do the same next time I need pants.

Hmm I wonder why the black are less baggy... Stretch material that got washed by the previous owner too hot maybe? Seems like black typically means stretch material with Levi's?

Expand Quote
What you want are Levi's 550 or 569
[close]

I used to wear nothing but 550 and I'm just so over them. I would maybe wear them again in a black stretch, but they didn't have any available.

I think 569 might not be for me. Not a fan of straight leg and those openings are even bigger than 550.

Thanks for looking out.
[close]

yeah this video is what sealed the deal for me. skip to 3:45
also, make sure they have the comfort fit label on them, i bought two pairs with the comfort fit label and one pair that didn't have the lable (balack ones made in the usa) and the two with the label (made in central america) are way baggier.

My 560s say "comfort fit" and they're not nearly as baggy as this. They're TTS if that's any indication.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #2172 on: December 26, 2022, 06:27:46 AM »
***Cross posted on the Polar fit thread as well***

Pondering pulling the trigger on a pair of '93 Cords, Rust colored. Either size 28x30 or 30x30. (Not sure if it's the most recent drop since they're on sale.). The sale ends in about an hour.

The shop staff I spoke with said the 28's measured 14.7 inches (29.52" total) laid flat, but the Polar sizing guide says they're 15.7" (31.5" total). They said the 30's measured 15.9 inches (31.8" total) laid flat, but the Polar sizing guide says they're 16.7" (31.9" total). The staff member said they actually remeasured the pants when I asked, but who knows, they might have been lazy and just quoted their website. In any case, I'm not really looking for the extra looseness.

I tried searching this thread but couldn't come up with any relevant results - I suck at using the search function.

So, what's the consensus on sizing with the '93's? Are they still super vanity-sized or are they true to size? Do the cords have the same sizing as the denim or is that throwing in another variable?

Fingers crossed a Pal can help out.

***edit: hell yeah, I can't do math. 16.7 x 2 = 33.4***
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 10:07:56 AM by SaySo »
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2173 on: December 26, 2022, 07:53:03 AM »
 Really making that staff member earn their minimum wage eh

SaySo

« Reply #2174 on: December 26, 2022, 09:52:38 AM »
LOL. I was actually speaking to the shop owner. So, it's their bread and butter, so to speak.

As the old adage says "measure twice, cut once." In this case, "measure twice, buy once."

Held off on buying them, hopefully can get insight from the Forum.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2175 on: December 26, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
has anyone tried the Supreme "baggy jeans"?   they did a brown pair that looks really nice, but i have nothing to reference in regards to how they actually fit

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2176 on: December 26, 2022, 02:12:37 PM »
has anyone tried the Supreme "baggy jeans"?   they did a brown pair that looks really nice, but i have nothing to reference in regards to how they actually fit

There's measurements here. Waist runs big like many other pants but besides that the fit is pretty good
https://www.supremecommunity.com/season/itemdetails/9136/fallwinter2022-baggy-jean/

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2177 on: December 26, 2022, 09:21:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
LOL. I was actually speaking to the shop owner. So, it's their bread and butter, so to speak.

As the old adage says "measure twice, cut once." In this case, "measure twice, buy once."

might wanna give "trying them on" a chance

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #2178 on: December 27, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »

Pondering pulling the trigger on a pair of '93 Cords, Rust colored. Either size 28x30 or 30x30. (Not sure if it's the most recent drop since they're on sale.). The sale ends in about an hour.

The shop staff I spoke with said the 28's measured 14.7 inches (29.52" total) laid flat, but the Polar sizing guide says they're 15.7" (31.5" total). They said the 30's measured 15.9 inches (31.8" total) laid flat, but the Polar sizing guide says they're 16.7" (31.9" total). The staff member said they actually remeasured the pants when I asked, but who knows, they might have been lazy and just quoted their website. In any case, I'm not really looking for the extra looseness.

I tried searching this thread but couldn't come up with any relevant results - I suck at using the search function.

So, what's the consensus on sizing with the '93's? Are they still super vanity-sized or are they true to size? Do the cords have the same sizing as the denim or is that throwing in another variable?

Cords typically seem to be bigger in polar shit in my experience. But like someone else said . Id try them on .

SaySo

« Reply #2179 on: December 28, 2022, 05:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

might wanna give "trying them on" a chance

Yeah, I would if I weren't ordering them online.

Being in Japan, so if they stock them at all shops sell out quite quickly locally in the sizes I'm considering (28/30/XS/S) so "trying them on" isn't really an option.

***Edit: Also, when ordering online many shops here have a policy of "no return unless the product is damaged or defective" (i.e. no size exchange or ordering more than one pair to try on and send one back).***

SaySo

« Reply #2180 on: December 28, 2022, 05:07:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cords typically seem to be bigger in polar shit in my experience. But like someone else said . Id try them on .

Cheers for the advice!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2181 on: December 28, 2022, 06:37:52 AM »
My 93 cords definitely fit big in the waist. They have the exact measurements on their site, so you should just measure pants you already have to draw a comparison.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2182 on: December 30, 2022, 02:53:41 AM »
My 93 cords definitely fit big in the waist. They have the exact measurements on their site, so you should just measure pants you already have to draw a comparison.

just givin my 2 cents:

i have the polar 93 jeans in 34 and 36 waist and one 93 cord in 36 waist- the cords definetly run bigger, like i would guess full size but was too lazy to measure yet! cords feel cooler to me....just the way the fabric flows and all dat.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2183 on: December 30, 2022, 05:40:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just givin my 2 cents:

i have the polar 93 jeans in 34 and 36 waist and one 93 cord in 36 waist- the cords definetly run bigger, like i would guess full size but was too lazy to measure yet! cords feel cooler to me....just the way the fabric flows and all dat.

93s fit different pretty much every drop. i have a pair of the light blues in 34/34, they're like 36 in the waist, true 34 length, tried on brown 34/32s, they fit like a 33 in the waist and 30s in length, the 93 cargos are overall much smaller and 34/34 fits kinda like a 32/32. if i didn't like to sag my pants my true size would be 32 waist and the 34/34 cargos i would be able to wear without a belt and they would fit me perfect, but they were not baggy by any means, relaxed straight leg would be a better description. i work at a skateshop and we have some 93s left in stock so i can take some photos comparing how they fit. also they don't make 93s in poland only like they used to, they also make them in portugal now and some colorways are made in both factories for the same drop and they fit different too.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2184 on: January 02, 2023, 02:10:59 AM »
https://harlautapparel.co/collections/pants/products/slack-jeans-washed-indigo?variant=42573943603443

Harlauts(pronounced har-low, after skier Henrik Harlaut, who among other things famously shouted 'Wu Tang is for the children' during the Olympics) are a lil cheaper than big boys

I wanna get some of the harlaut snow pants for colder days, rn I'm skiing in some 1 of 3 Lizard Stuff pants, he does some sick 1 of 1 baggy jeans and shit, has an instagram

The freestyle skiing community is also really into pants, but most of them just make hardshells

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -440
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2185 on: January 05, 2023, 11:19:38 PM »
I said fuck it and bought three pairs of polars when mtld was having a crazy sale on them a couple months ago. Got a pair of 93s, 92s, and whatever Grund denim chino pants are.

My 93s got shredded down the side of my pants pocket the first time I fell in them, it wasn’t even as much of a directly hitting a crack coming off a ledge super slow and falling over because I stuck a little awkwardly and couldn’t run it out. They tore like pajama pants. I’m not a clothing expert but I feel like there’s something innately shitty about them, like the stitching is bad because they seem very susceptible to literally shredding. and they’re heavy as shit so worst of both worlds

92s are decently hardy, fit way better (may have just had a really big run of 93s because waist feels much baggier on them), and were lighter

The denim chinos though? Best fucking skate pants I’ve ever owned, I go cheap on my pants but I would easy pay $60 a pop for these if I could get them forever. They’re perfectly baggy on the thigh and not overly tapered, and they’re weirdly durable while being thin and light. I slammed like four times sliding pretty hard on them today and they showed minimal fraying on pockets. The back was the weirdest part, i slid on my ass like twice and there were literally almost no signs of weird and no fraying on the back pockets. I don’t know what kind of denim they make that shit with but it’s amazing. Sleeper hit for me, I got them for like 40 on a whim and don’t regret it at all

sadnocomply

• Rep: 127
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2186 on: January 05, 2023, 11:59:00 PM »
Yessir the grunds are my go-to polar pant

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2187 on: January 06, 2023, 07:15:37 AM »
Can anyone vouch for the Polar cord surf pants firsthand? The regular surf pants are pretty much a perfect fit for me, but they're too lightweight for winter. The cord ones are back in stock on the Polar site, but shops don't seem to be getting them (at least in Canada). It's like $40 shipping to buy them direct from Polar, so I want to be pretty sure they fit the same and the fabric is a little heavier than the regular ones before I buy them. I wish they'd make those pants in some other heavier materials too, like a heavyweight twill or some kind of ripstop/canvas.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 127
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2188 on: January 06, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »
Can anyone vouch for the Polar cord surf pants firsthand? The regular surf pants are pretty much a perfect fit for me, but they're too lightweight for winter. The cord ones are back in stock on the Polar site, but shops don't seem to be getting them (at least in Canada). It's like $40 shipping to buy them direct from Polar, so I want to be pretty sure they fit the same and the fabric is a little heavier than the regular ones before I buy them. I wish they'd make those pants in some other heavier materials too, like a heavyweight twill or some kind of ripstop/canvas.
the polar surf cords are chillers only imo. I would not skate them or wear them in the winter without layers underneath. They are a super fine lightweight cord material, not thick at all and I imagine they would shred easily with falls from skating.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #2189 on: January 06, 2023, 09:00:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
the polar surf cords are chillers only imo. I would not skate them or wear them in the winter without layers underneath. They are a super fine lightweight cord material, not thick at all and I imagine they would shred easily with falls from skating.

The surf cords are like chino thick, not nearly as thick as the Big Boy or 93 cords. Would be solid for spring or fall but no go for winter unless layered.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma