Author Topic: Japan  (Read 14842 times)

SaySo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
Re: Japan
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2021, 09:58:59 PM »
In addition to the above...

Ours is the local shop in Yokosuka. I'm pretty sure the owner (whose name I can't remember right now) can communicate in English. He took the Snack team around Japan like 5 years ago.
https://oursskateco.shop-pro.jp/

I only skated Yokosuka a few times but there are some spots around the Keikyu Yokosuka-chuo station area.
Both the skate park and shop are within pushing distance within that area.

Kugenuma also has a park on the sea and there are some good spots along the coastal highway there.

Decks alone will probably run you about $120 on average. Depending on what you get a complete can end up costing you 3 bills.
AFAIK Tatsumiya/RF Skate is been the cheapest place to buy brand name stuff in Japan.
https://r-fskate.com/
If you can't navigate online orders in Japanese your only choice is to go to the shop in Toritsudaigaku, Tokyo (cash only at the shop).

I have some friends that ride generic brand blank boards and swear by them ($30 I think).

If memory serves, Tatsumiya takes credit as well.

But yeah, to second/third what's already been said, both hard and soft goods cost a premium here. Especially if you're coming from the US. Expect to pay between 1.5 to 2 times what you'd pay stateside. In the past the bigger shops like Instant had sale decks, but this might not be the case anymore.

From my experience, many shops are still somewhat suffering from product shortage due to Covid coupled with increased demand due to the wack sports festival held earlier this month and the medaling of locals. So if you're a fan of April or any of the brands the medalists ride for, you might be out of luck.

As far as the year-end holiday period, it's dead as Dillinger even in major cities, although to a lesser extent than in the rural areas. That being said, many downtown areas are closed/less crowded so it's easier to skate them at that time (though it can be cold).

I also have friends who ride blanks from Arktz and swear by them.

If you want to try a local brand, other than the ones previously listed, you can try New Type as well: https://www.instagram.com/n.t.original/?hl=en
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2021, 12:53:43 AM »
Yokosuka park is a lot of fun, or at least it was 21 years ago.
And yes, R-F skate (while not local) is probably the cheapest gear you’ll find here, he has a great selection and measures every board that comes through the shop. I’m not really phased about prices though as they’re fairly similar to what you pay in Australia.

I’m not even on the mainland anymore but order from places like mortar, beacon and California street too because local shops are basically non-existent
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 01:15:32 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2021, 05:44:22 AM »

Kugenuma also has a park on the sea and there are some good spots along the coastal highway there.

hahaha, so i knew about this tiny ass square park over there, but didn't know there is a full skatepark like 200 meters next to it. i could spot the tiny square park on google maps every time i looked it up, but never saw the other park.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2021, 08:25:34 PM »
Haha that genuinely made me laugh.
Just imagining someone stuck in that miserable little sandpit unaware that there is a better place just down the road.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2021, 07:56:11 AM »
Has there been a noticeable increase in skaters since the Olympics?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2021, 03:51:56 PM »
yes, and thus and even bigger crackdown on skaters at street spots, at least in the metropolitan areas!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

disclosed

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2021, 11:58:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yes, and thus and even bigger crackdown on skaters at street spots, at least in the metropolitan areas!

that's exactly what i was worried about happening.
marketing skateboarding as a sport will not help street skateboarding in Japan at all. they will only think sports are ment to be practiced at sportsclubs and designated areas.
already noticed many areas that got a skatepark nearby got crazy crackdowns on street skateboarding to the point even rolling to the park was an issue. and then they pull the group responsibility card and have the people that run the skateparks enforce the crackdown on street skating to allow the park to stay open. it's like they're pitting skaters against eachother.

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2021, 03:05:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

marketing skateboarding as a sport will not help street skateboarding in Japan at all. they will only think sports are ment to be practiced at sportsclubs and designated areas.
already noticed many areas that got a skatepark nearby got crazy crackdowns on street skateboarding to the point even rolling to the park was an issue. and then they pull the group responsibility card and have the people that run the skateparks enforce the crackdown on street skating to allow the park to stay open. it's like they're pitting skaters against eachother.

Question what makes japan such a desirable skate  destination?

I watched a youtube video of a guy explaining how japanese street sessions mainly take place at night because of all the rules and regulations set in place  for skaters over there, doesn't seem like a fun time to me unless you're a night owl or into parks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 03:33:25 AM by Pennybabie »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2021, 10:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Question what makes japan such a desirable skate  destination?

I watched a youtube video of a guy explaining how japanese street sessions mainly take place at night because of all the rules and regulations set in place  for skaters over there, doesn't seem like a fun time to me unless you're a night owl or into parks.
Night skating has a few practical reasons. One being the bust factor goes way down. The biggest one for me, as least living in Tokyo, is the amount of pedestrians and traffic drops dramatically. Lastly, if it's summer it is so miserably hot that skating during the day is practically suicide.

I personally wouldn't recommend Japan (especially Tokyo) as a skate destination, it requires a lot of work and the weather generally sucks all year round, but people view this country with very starry eyes whether it be skateboarding or your average tourist.

Regarding the "group responsibility" discouraging skating to the skate park points; that has been present before any of this olympics non-sense. If anyone confronts me including the police I just pretend they don't exist; it really satisfying to watching them fall apart at the absence of compliance.

disclosed

« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2021, 07:25:02 AM »
oh yeah i know the not skating to the skatepark stuff been around before the olympics, cause i havn't been in Japan since Covid hit. but worry if they manage to get more parks, you'll see even more of that.

don't forget you can drink alcohol on the streets, so you can make a couple pitstops at the conbini to grab some beers. i don't drink tho, but night sessions sound like a ton of fun.
also see plenty daytime skating along the riversides and below highways and train tracks. but yeah, especially some neighborhoods are insanely crowded during the day, wouln't even want to roll around shibuya or shinjuku during the day.

weather in all honestly allways been a 100 times better than where i'm from during my trips. but i stay the fuck away during the summer.

while i've seen tons of fun spots around Tokyo and Osaka (you'll usually recognize them by the no skateboarding signs), i never knew Japan was such a desireable skate destination. maybe its more just a desirable tourist destination so skaters like going there too.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2021, 10:31:09 PM »
Yeah, that's actually something that I fear a little. Make skate parks, force skaters in there and overwhelm us with rules.
The most fun parks out here are the crappy ones with home made boxes and quarterpipes. Self-regulated, no one there babysitting you.

I'm too old to handle night sessions now anyway so most of the time I get my skate on in the morning then we spend the rest of the day drinking lol. The last late night sesh I had was maybe until 1am and it took my old ass like a week to recover from that.

That affects where I can skate. Like you said riverfronts or under highways shit like that.
Business districts on Saturdays and Sundays are usually pretty safe too. Or just some curb spots in the neighborhood.

Destination wise, I think there used to be more spots that were kind of unique and could be skated freely but that has changed in the last 10 years.
I actually think that change has lead to people skating the hills more in Japan, which I'm fully on board with. I'm glad that has become more of a thing because if it's one thing this place has, it's hills.

KyleG

« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2021, 08:55:31 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who provided info on Japan for me. I was unable to respond since this site was banned for a few weeks for me to use (which was weird).

All the old heads I'm going there with never fill me in on any actual useful info, only on stuff like the soap houses and where the McDonalds are haha.

Has anyone ever actually gotten a fine for skating on here?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2021, 02:51:12 AM »
Has anyone ever actually gotten a fine for skating on here?
I've only heard of one instance of someone getting fined for skateboarding.
That was in Osaka years ago and was actually in the news. It was just to make an example for a new law.

Soapland and McDonald's are defo more hazardous. Stay safe out there.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2021, 05:53:51 PM »
You definitely can drink beers out on the streets etc, but I don't recommend it. Most Japanese don't even walk and drink a coffee, its just not really done.

The real question is- when is travel from USA to Japan going to open up again? And for any homies that got the J&J, note that Japan does not currently recognize that as a legit vaccine and I don't think they'll be letting you in with it.

Michelin

• Rep: 0
  • Been skating for a little under 2 years
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
You definitely can drink beers out on the streets etc, but I don't recommend it. Most Japanese don't even walk and drink a coffee, its just not really done.

The real question is- when is travel from USA to Japan going to open up again? And for any homies that got the J&J, note that Japan does not currently recognize that as a legit vaccine and I don't think they'll be letting you in with it.

USA to Japan travel isn't going to open up for a while. Gov. is planning to ease up by November, but that all depends whether they have an uptick in cases or not. They will be downgrading states of emergency in several prefectures by the end of this month, which could be taken as a good sign.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the J&J btw. I got the Pfizer one earlier this year, so hopefully it should make things better. I heard they currently aren't allowing any Visa-less visits either, which sucks.
I like skate

KyleG

« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2021, 02:56:39 PM »
I've finally made it!

Anyone know how to get the scoop on concerts/shows?

Trying to figure out things to do other then skateboarding since I left my board back home. If the weather holds up I'm gonna pick one up.

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2021, 12:52:54 AM »
i saw this weird rail that must be skated by people. seems feasible after midnight.

next to this family mart : https://goo.gl/maps/iCJa2x1bzofavDGT8

disclosed

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
I've finally made it!

Anyone know how to get the scoop on concerts/shows?

Trying to figure out things to do other then skateboarding since I left my board back home. If the weather holds up I'm gonna pick one up.

can't help you much here but if you're into hardcore and metal than El Puente in Yokohama is a place to look into. Self Deconstruction is playing there the 14th this month. they're allways a blast live.

i think twitter is the easiest way to find out about gigs in japan. but thats only if you know what youre looking for already i guess.

KyleG

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2021, 03:59:03 AM »
I really wanted to go to that show but it was sold out. I've never felt so awkward in my life before I arrived in japan. I made it to Umikaze Koen Park, it's hard to make friends even as a skater here.

disclosed

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »
my experience is the opposite. friends is a big word, but wherever i go people start talking to me. i've literally slept at peoples houses after meeting them the same day.
but ive heard of others having similiar experience as you.

but maybe thats cause i allways feel akward and out of place wherever i go. and in japan people are more curious about me cause i'm a foreigner at the park or gig. compared to people in my own country who just ignore me.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2022, 03:38:32 AM »
So I’ve been skating more this year since the weathers been warm, how’s everyone doing?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2022, 04:14:46 AM »
KyleG- I feel you, it can be hard to make friends. Super easy to make acquaintances, but harder to make relatable friends. And even harder to make really good friends, I know of only one example of a foreigner who has a Japanese best friend.

Disclosed- I’ve had a similar experience as you. By the way, where are you?

SLAPSONIC- I’ve been out once or twice a week since snowboard season ended. The rainy season hasn’t been to bad here, had some free dry mornings here in Nagano.

Where is everyone? I’m thinking about trying to head down to Tachikawa or ShinYokohama this weekend for a change of scenery (if the weather is ok)

Anyone around?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2022, 07:09:28 AM »
Nagano is nice! I used to skate at True Players skatepark in Hakuba when I lived there for a bit. See people skating Matsumoto on Ig a lot and it looks great.

Living in Tokyo, Meguro now. I usually skate in Jingu Gaien when I have time. Would be down to skate shin yoko once the rainy season is over

SaySo

« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2022, 07:14:56 AM »
KyleG- I feel you, it can be hard to make friends. Super easy to make acquaintances, but harder to make relatable friends. And even harder to make really good friends, I know of only one example of a foreigner who has a Japanese best friend.

SLAPSONIC- I’ve been out once or twice a week since snowboard season ended. The rainy season hasn’t been to bad here, had some free dry mornings here in Nagano.

Where is everyone? I’m thinking about trying to head down to Tachikawa or ShinYokohama this weekend for a change of scenery (if the weather is ok)

Anyone around?

@KyleGIt can be challenging to meet folks here. All really depends on the circumstances. I’ve made friends through coworkers, friends, acquaintances, or just by going to skate shops. It’s great to know folks, but personally, I was basically a solo skater for a while before moving to Japan since most of the friends I grew up skating with “had grown out of it” by that point as people tend to do. So after moving to Japan I just continued doing that.

@disclosedI’ve also found skaters and people in general to be surprisingly open at times. A lot of the older heads grew up with the skate “tribe/community” vibe that used to be so prevalent in skating so they’re often really welcoming, and many of the younger heads learn from them so it’s carried over (the whole senpai/kohai culture).

@SLAPSONIC I try to skate as regularly as possible, year round, but it has been much easier since the weather has warmed up. Unfortunately though, it's the rainy season...so...if the stars align and I have the time/energy and it's dry... Overdid it about a week ago though and my old man knees got sore...So rather than push through it like I would have done a few years ago, I decided to listen to my body and chill out for a bit. Don't want to blow my load so early for the summer, you feel me?

@cucktard I think we've chatted back and forth about this on another thread (bearings maybe?) but I'm in Tokyo. At the moment, resting up so I don't get laid out for the entire summer before it even starts. (fingers and toes crossed, knocking on wood). When are you thinking of heading into "civilization?" ;)
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2022, 07:48:51 AM »
@SLAPSONIC I go to True Players all the time, and work in Hakuba in the winter. Maybe we’ve met?
Looks like Yokohama will be broiling but dry this weekend. I might try an evening to two there, and lie low during the day.

@SaySo I’ll probably try to go this weekend, while the rest of the fam is in Disneyland. Rest up, and come over to Nagano this summer if possible, there are few parks like True Players that are in the mountains and not as hot

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

disclosed

« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2022, 01:17:33 PM »

Anyone around?

sadly i am in Europe. i don't live in Japan but i visited every year for a couple weeks. now playing the waiting game since 2020.

A guy from my city recently moved to Tokyo when they finally opened up for working and student visas again. so ive been trying to help him find some nearby spots but i'm not that familiar with the side of Tokyo he's on.

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2022, 07:42:03 AM »
I found it hard to make friends when I was living in Tokyo but really making friends as an adult is a weird thing in general. There were a few people at the skatepark( other Americans) that I knew there name and we would chat there, but never hung out outside there. Komazawa was only like a 10 minute bike ride for me so I was there quite a bit. Never went street skating as street skating alone certainly isn't very much fun.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2022, 11:29:49 PM »
I’m surprised SLAP doesn’t have a separate section for local scenes all over the world. Im not sure it really first with ‘travel’ tho.

So I’m thinking of making a separate thread not for travel, but to share info for skaters living in Japan and to talk about life and skating here. There seems to be a few of us.

Or we can just congregate here.

Anyone interested?

For example, it looks like the best music festival in Japan, Hashi no Shita will be finally held again this September after a 3-year hiatus. Has anyone else been to it?

SaySo

« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »
I’m surprised SLAP doesn’t have a separate section for local scenes all over the world. Im not sure it really first with ‘travel’ tho.

So I’m thinking of making a separate thread not for travel, but to share info for skaters living in Japan and to talk about life and skating here. There seems to be a few of us.

Anyone interested?

For example, it looks like the best music festival in Japan, Hashi no Shita will be finally held again this September after a 3-year hiatus. Has anyone else been to it?

@cucktard  In your opinion, where would the thread best be nested? "UWTB"? "Whatever"?

As an alternative to here, we could just start a LINE chat group or something?

I haven't been to 橋の下. This is actually the first I've heard of it. To be Frank (instead of my given name), I'm not really one for multi-day music fests at this point though.

What kinds acts are usually booked there?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2022, 05:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote

Anyone interested?

[close]

@cucktard  In your opinion, where would the thread best be nested? "UWTB"? "Whatever"?

As an alternative to here, we could just start a LINE chat group or something?

I haven't been to 橋の下. This is actually the first I've heard of it. To be Frank (instead of my given name), I'm not really one for multi-day music fests at this point though.

What kinds acts are usually booked there?
Or both.
But @cucktard that's actually a pretty good idea.