Author Topic: Japan  (Read 15178 times)

iwishicouldssbts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Japan
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2023, 09:25:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
did the whole getting my proof of vaccination approved for my trip the other night.
man it was so annoying. doesnt help i'm an idiot either. but the site stopped working properly multiple times and had to start over again each time. wouln't accept the adress of accommodation either. couln't copy paste the info they needed either, every time only half the stuf i paste would show and i'd have to type out the rest by hand.
but i made it! my proof got accepted so that one less thing to worry about.

i've said it before, i will forever hate japanese adresses they're soo long! remember last time i had to write out the whole damn adress of my hostel each time i wanted to skate the local skatepark..
[close]

Same, just got all my documents accepted as well. I couldn't find a place to stay in the area you recommended, but I luckily got a place near Asakusa for relatively cheap, close to the train lines. Did some digging looking on google earth and youtube and found some cool street spots close by. I really do wanna branch outside of Tokyo and go to Osaka/Kyoto like Jones recommended, but I think I'm just gonna keep it simple and stay in Tokyo to not complicate things because of booking all of the accomodations/timing things/budget and stuff. I do still wanna go on a day trip outside of Tokyo and maybe hit up an onsen like Hakone or something.
[close]

oh nice you'll be staying near that endless bank spot. you've probably seen it, realy famous.
also near a little covered skatepark unde the highway if its still there.
and ofcourse all the harbour spots.
you're staying near the Chuo line that goes throught Asakusa?

@whitemanjazz
i'll be there in March
late April early May is a really good time to go. went once around that time and the weather was perfect all the time. any later than that and you'll be stuck in the humid ass summer thats not fun at all to skate in. definitly go if you can.

@disclosed yup, I could easily get to Shinjuku station on that line I believe, so it looks pretty convenient. And yeah, that fun bank spot that everyone goes to haha, got that pinned on my phone already. Didn't know there was a skatepark nearby that area though, so that's sick (if it's still there like you said).

@whitemanjazz I'll be there for three weeks starting in the beginning/early May.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2023, 09:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
did the whole getting my proof of vaccination approved for my trip the other night.
man it was so annoying. doesnt help i'm an idiot either. but the site stopped working properly multiple times and had to start over again each time. wouln't accept the adress of accommodation either. couln't copy paste the info they needed either, every time only half the stuf i paste would show and i'd have to type out the rest by hand.

i've said it before, i will forever hate japanese adresses they're soo long! remember last time i had to write out the whole damn adress of my hostel each time i wanted to skate the local skatepark..
[close]

Same, just got all my documents accepted as well. I couldn't find a place to stay in the area you recommended, but I luckily got a place near Asakusa for relatively cheap, close to the train lines. Did some digging looking on google earth and youtube and found some cool street spots close by. I really do wanna branch outside of Tokyo and go to Osaka/Kyoto like Jones recommended, but I think I'm just gonna keep it simple and stay in Tokyo to not complicate things because of booking all of the accomodations/timing things/budget and stuff. I do still wanna go on a day trip outside of Tokyo and maybe hit up an onsen like Hakone or something.
[close]

oh nice you'll be staying near that endless bank spot. you've probably seen it, realy famous.

@whitemanjazz
i'll be there in March
late April early May is a really good time to go. went once around that time and the weather was perfect all the time. any later than that and you'll be stuck in the humid ass summer thats not fun at all to skate in. definitly go if you can.
[close]

@disclosed yup, I could easily get to Shinjuku station on that line I believe, so it looks pretty convenient. And yeah, that fun bank spot that everyone goes to haha, got that pinned on my phone already. Didn't know there was a skatepark nearby that area though, so that's sick (if it's still there like you said).

@whitemanjazz I'll be there for three weeks starting in the beginning/early May.

yeah Chuo line is a great connection. both in Akiba and Shinjuku you can transfer to the Yamanote line making it easy to get most places.

here it is. got some wooden boxes and ramps. and aparently also a miniramp now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tsutsumidori+Koen+Skate+Board+Park/@35.7244132,139.810699,226m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x605d1b87f02e57e7:0x2e01618b22571b89!2sTokio,+Japan!3b1!8m2!3d35.6761919!4d139.6503106!3m4!1s0x60188f5b61f09ab9:0xebede0840f25e131!8m2!3d35.7244157!4d139.8106986

iwishicouldssbts

« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2023, 10:02:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

@whitemanjazz
i'll be there in March
[close]

[close]

yeah Chuo line is a great connection. both in Akiba and Shinjuku you can transfer to the Yamanote line making it easy to get most places.

here it is. got some wooden boxes and ramps. and aparently also a miniramp now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tsutsumidori+Koen+Skate+Board+Park/@35.7244132,139.810699,226m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x605d1b87f02e57e7:0x2e01618b22571b89!2sTokio,+Japan!3b1!8m2!3d35.6761919!4d139.6503106!3m4!1s0x60188f5b61f09ab9:0xebede0840f25e131!8m2!3d35.7244157!4d139.8106986

You're awesome, thank you! I'll definitely hit that up

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2023, 10:29:19 AM »
Too humid to skate end of May/first few weeks of June?

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2023, 02:23:10 PM »
Going to Japan in a few weeks touring with my band. Bringing a setup in case there are any impromptu moments to skate. Hitting the following locations:

Ashikaga
Kouenji
Tokyo (day off)
Nagoya
Kyoto
Kyoto and/or Osaka (day off)
Yokohama
Koiwa

My time will be limited but if anyone has a recommendation for places to get a quick session in around these places I’d really appreciate it!

disclosed

« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2023, 04:42:16 PM »
Going to Japan in a few weeks touring with my band. Bringing a setup in case there are any impromptu moments to skate. Hitting the following locations:

Ashikaga
Kouenji
Tokyo (day off)
Nagoya
Kyoto
Yokohama
Koiwa

My time will be limited but if anyone has a recommendation for places to get a quick session in around these places I’d really appreciate it!

oh i know what band you're in then, and i'll most likely be at the last gig at Koiwa. i wish i could be at more gigs, but i arrive when the tour is almost over already.

in koenji, but theres a DIY spot around the cornor from the venue, right underneath the traintracks. aswell some other fun lil spots if you follow the path underneath the tracks in the direction of Asagaia station.

Nagoya has a skatepark thats a little far from the venue, but its kinda right in the centre and you might pass by it before going to the venue.

your free day in Kyoto/Osaka is a friday i think, so maybe worth checking out Triangle park (osaka) at night, its the Osaka Daggers hangout spot. for daytime skating in Osaka maybe better head to Nishiumeda park, that place is insane. its like they accidentially build a skatepark.
as for Kyoto, i have no idea.

i might be skating around Koiwa before that gig. theres some spots there i wanna check out, but some are really far away form the venue, theres a load of famous spots along the Naka river. but the best ones are all the way down where it opens to the tokyo bay.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2023, 04:46:59 AM »
Expand Quote

Ashikaga
Kouenji
Tokyo (day off)
Nagoya
Kyoto
Yokohama
Koiwa

[close]

oh i know what band you're in then, and i'll most likely be at the last gig at Koiwa. i wish i could be at more gigs, but i arrive when the tour is almost over already.

in koenji, but theres a DIY spot around the cornor from the venue, right underneath the traintracks. aswell some other fun lil spots if you follow the path underneath the tracks in the direction of Asagaia station.

Nagoya has a skatepark thats a little far from the venue, but its kinda right in the centre and you might pass by it before going to the venue.

your free day in Kyoto/Osaka is a friday i think, so maybe worth checking out Triangle park (osaka) at night, its the Osaka Daggers hangout spot. for daytime skating in Osaka maybe better head to Nishiumeda park, that place is insane. its like they accidentially build a skatepark.
as for Kyoto, i have no idea.

i might be skating around Koiwa before that gig. theres some spots there i wanna check out, but some are really far away form the venue, theres a load of famous spots along the Naka river. but the best ones are all the way down where it opens to the tokyo bay.

Thanks for all that! I’ll keep an eye at for you at the Koiwa gig.

iwishicouldssbts

« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2023, 04:50:25 AM »
In Tokyo rn! Enjoying it so far. Only thing im missing out on is the street skating tbh. Anyone know what time is the best time to hit street spots? And also which part of the city to skate during that time? (Also any clubs/things to do?)

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2023, 05:54:05 AM »
Supposed to be leaving for my trip in two weeks but last month my sciatica issues returned after being in bed with the flu for a week. I've been down and out and didn't really prepare at all language wise since in my head I was going to cancel the trip but fuck it imma go. How screwed am I? I usually always prepare for a month basic survival vocabulary so this is the first time I'm going in reasonably blind.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2023, 08:39:52 AM »
@Sila good choice to not cancel! you’re gonna be all good imo. What’s your itinerary like? Of course knowing a bit of the language goes a long way but as far as getting around in larger cities, most signs are also in English

Download google translate and maps for Japanese/Japan and this will help when you’re in a bind(and have no service)

^to clarify I don’t mean just the app. I mean download the area and language within the apps

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2023, 10:10:07 AM »
Supposed to be leaving for my trip in two weeks but last month my sciatica issues returned after being in bed with the flu for a week. I've been down and out and didn't really prepare at all language wise since in my head I was going to cancel the trip but fuck it imma go. How screwed am I? I usually always prepare for a month basic survival vocabulary so this is the first time I'm going in reasonably blind.

I’m going in October and I’m shitting bricks…. I don’t even know why. Over thinking i guess. Worried I’ll mess something up. But it’s a vacation! Gotta enjoy it. Hope you feel better and have a blast, man.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

iwishicouldssbts

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2023, 06:54:52 PM »

You’ll be all good. I came here relatively blind too. Only know a handful of words tbh. It’s really not hard getting by not knowing anything lol. Plus you learn as you go so no worries. Skaters here are super nice too and some speak good english

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2023, 08:47:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You’ll be all good. I came here relatively blind too. Only know a handful of words tbh. It’s really not hard getting by not knowing anything lol. Plus you learn as you go so no worries. Skaters here are super nice too and some speak good english

If you don’t mind my asking, did you travel via the subway/trains any? I’m trying to get a suica card early… and been converting money to Yen through the Wise app.

disclosed

« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2023, 01:03:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you don’t mind my asking, did you travel via the subway/trains any? I’m trying to get a suica card early… and been converting money to Yen through the Wise app.

you can get a suica card at the ticket machines at the airport. tbh i forgot how since i had mine since 2016. but you dont need to worry about getting it beforehand. i never studied japanese. picked loads of stuff up just form hearing it all the time when there. like some words i dont even know the meaning but i know the context in wich to use them.

i do recomment renting pocket wifi or sim (i think you can get that at the airport), i never used it myself, but for some some reason a lot of wifi hotspots have dissapeared during the pandemic, including the most prominent ones the 7eleven and Familymart hotspots. that was a slap in the face. now i managed cause i know how to navigate most places already since it was my 6th time. but for a first time visit i can imagine it not beeing the easiest if you cant look anything up.

@iwishicouldssbts
how long are you still there? i could DM you some google cordinates if you want.
what places have you skated so far?

iwishicouldssbts

« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2023, 01:41:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

you can get a suica card at the ticket machines at the airport. tbh i forgot how since i had mine since 2016. but you dont need to worry about getting it beforehand. i never studied japanese. picked loads of stuff up just form hearing it all the time when there. like some words i dont even know the meaning but i know the context in wich to use them.

i do recomment renting pocket wifi or sim (i think you can get that at the airport), i never used it myself, but for some some reason a lot of wifi hotspots have dissapeared during the pandemic, including the most prominent ones the 7eleven and Familymart hotspots. that was a slap in the face. now i managed cause i know how to navigate most places already since it was my 6th time. but for a first time visit i can imagine it not beeing the easiest if you cant look anything up.

@iwishicouldssbts
how long are you still there? i could DM you some google cordinates if you want.
what places have you skated so far?

@disclosed Here until the 24th! I’ve pretty much skated all of the skateparks, even west of Tokyo, since it’s tough skating street during the day. Only street spots ive skated so far are the Sumida River banks/ledges, Tokyo Station Ledges, and the waterfountain ledges and hip in Odaiba. That would be amazing if you could DM me some other suggestions, thank you so much
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 02:22:47 AM by iwishicouldssbts »

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2023, 04:40:35 AM »
Thanks everyone I feel a little bit lighter about going on this trip now. Unfortunately I won't be skating but I'll definitely be looking out for spots regardless

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2023, 10:50:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always used a pasmo card. get one and refill at any subway station.

And for money think you are over thinking it. I would just go to an atm and take out money using my American debit card. No different than taking money out in the states. Maybe there were small fees or exchange rate shit but I never noticed.

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »
Is anyone out in Hiroshima? I will be living in iwakuni, but I know Hiroshima has a decent sized scene

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2023, 10:13:12 AM »
i'm planning on going in October and have zero plan. non skate trip. honeymoon trip with wife. who's got the good lists of things to do for sure while we're out there? we like eating, the outdoors, live music and other things too.
good come sausage

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2023, 06:46:34 PM »
i'm planning on going in October and have zero plan. non skate trip. honeymoon trip with wife. who's got the good lists of things to do for sure while we're out there? we like eating, the outdoors, live music and other things too.
get a rail pass and abuse it! I would encourage you to get off of the mainland too and see what some of the island life has to offer . Japan has a tonne of shit to do/ see so I think it’ll be harder to narrow down your schedule. Oh yeah, onsen, lots of onsen especially if it’s your honeymoon <3

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2023, 07:13:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
get a rail pass and abuse it! I would encourage you to get off of the mainland too and see what some of the island life has to offer . Japan has a tonne of shit to do/ see so I think it’ll be harder to narrow down your schedule. Oh yeah, onsen, lots of onsen especially if it’s your honeymoon <3

Just an FYI, the price of the rail pass is going to increase for foreign visitors. So you might want to look into purchasing the pass in advance.

I don't know the exact date, and as of a press release from April of this year neither does JR (they say "Around October"), but the price hike is in the mail.

At the moment, a 1-week pass costs 29,640 yen, but it is reportedly going to increase to 50,000 yen. The 2-week pass will be spiking from 47,250 to 80,000 yen, and the 3-week pass from 60,450 yen to 100,000 yen.

https://japanrailpass.net/pdf/JRP_pressrelease_230414.pdf
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

disclosed

« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2023, 12:05:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just an FYI, the price of the rail pass is going to increase for foreign visitors. So you might want to look into purchasing the pass in advance.

I don't know the exact date, and as of a press release from April of this year neither does JR (they say "Around October"), but the price hike is in the mail.

At the moment, a 1-week pass costs 29,640 yen, but it is reportedly going to increase to 50,000 yen. The 2-week pass will be spiking from 47,250 to 80,000 yen, and the 3-week pass from 60,450 yen to 100,000 yen.

making it useless in my opinion. i saw the news article. doing the math i've never traveled for over 50.000 on a week pass. thats only going to happen if you really abuse it going to a difrent city every day, but then you can barely experience a city.

you can buy it 2 months in advance of your trip. so @concerned_parent you should still be lucky and get the good price.

Welpok

• Rep: 12
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2023, 12:12:41 AM »
I'm thinking of visiting in October. What should I expect when I get there? I have never travel before, so I am researching as much as possible. And want to get the most up to date information for other people who live/travel there recently. Any help would be appreciated. I know I could go through the pages read these, but I kind of have a lot of questions. Sorry in advance everyone. And thank you very much!
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2023, 06:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thank y’all for the info…. I’m leaving for Tokyo October 27th? Ish and coming home November 8th. Gonna try to pack in as much as possible… all the info helps immensely. I’m a nervous wreck mainly because my nephew will be with me ha..

Might take the train to Osaka and get a tattoo at three tides. That’s the plan at least.

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2023, 08:23:12 AM »
I'm thinking of visiting in October. What should I expect when I get there? I have never travel before, so I am researching as much as possible. And want to get the most up to date information for other people who live/travel there recently. Any help would be appreciated. I know I could go through the pages read these, but I kind of have a lot of questions. Sorry in advance everyone. And thank you very much!

"What to expect" is a pretty broad question. What do you like/want to do? Do you want to travel around the country? Are there specific things you are nervous about? You can expect nothing bad to happen. Getting on the wrong train is probably the worst thing that happened to me in the year I lived there.

Pbn_jake

« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2023, 11:59:17 AM »

7/11, family mart, lawson are your best friends. McDonald’s is actually good. Don’t spit, it’s rude. Don’t put chopsticks in a bowl of rice. If it doesn’t look skated don’t skate it likely. Have your passport on you. Get an icoca card. Google translate is a huge help.

What part of Japan are you going to?

Unrelated you must eat okonomiyaki.

I would also bring a spare board or two because decks are more expensiver than a bitch out there.

shut_up_jesus

• Rep: 0
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2023, 12:34:46 PM »
Sup Slap Crew, long time reader first time commenter.

Heading to Tokyo on Thursday and staying for a couple weeks. Been a couple times before so got a general idea but first time I’m gonna put time in to try and skate. Gonna be staying by Asakusa station and heard the endless bank spot is by there? But by god I can’t find it anywhere. Any recommendations for mellow street spots (low kick out chance/small spots) or a recommendation to your fave park that isn’t a hour and a half away.

If any skate events are going on that would be rad!

Pbn_jake

« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2023, 05:43:27 PM »

Heading to Tokyo on Thursday and staying for a couple weeks. Been a couple times before so got a general idea but first time I’m gonna put time in to try and skate. Gonna be staying by Asakusa station and heard the endless bank spot is by there? But by god I can’t find it anywhere. Any recommendations for mellow street spots (low kick out chance/small spots) or a recommendation to your fave park that isn’t a hour and a half away.

If you mosey on to the Hiroshima area give me a shout

shut_up_jesus

• Rep: 0
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2023, 06:12:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry no Hiroshima for me this trip. Might go as far as Osaka for a couple days not sure yet.

Pbn_jake

« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2023, 07:14:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sorry no Hiroshima for me this trip. Might go as far as Osaka for a couple days not sure yet.

I’m over in iwakuni, but that sounds cool