Author Topic: Worst board graphics ever?  (Read 78967 times)

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
Re: Worst board graphics ever?
« Reply #600 on: December 19, 2021, 05:58:27 AM »
Preface this by saying this is probably definitely an unpopular objectively wrong opinion, but Sean Cliver's artwork is straight trash.
I get how these Rocky Horror boards aren't everyone's thing (a bit of a Hook-Ups feel), but Cliver is one of the best to ever do it. Also, the Chemtrails board is Todd Bratrud's

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #601 on: December 19, 2021, 06:18:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Preface this by saying this is probably definitely an unpopular objectively wrong opinion, but Sean Cliver's artwork is straight trash.
[close]
I get how these Rocky Horror boards aren't everyone's thing (a bit of a Hook-Ups feel), but Cliver is one of the best to ever do it. Also, the Chemtrails board is Todd Bratrud's

You're correct about the Chemtrails deck, I wrongly assumed they were all his graphics. My bad.

I find it hard to believe you can have an "objectively wrong opinion" on art. Powell graphics always looked terrible to me. I was interested if anyone else shared the same sentiment. Evidently not. Out of the OG's dudes, I always loved Lucero's stuff.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

JimGeko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -38
« Reply #602 on: December 19, 2021, 06:28:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You're correct about the Chemtrails deck, I wrongly assumed they were all his graphics. My bad.

I find it hard to believe you can have an "objectively wrong opinion" on art. Powell graphics always looked terrible to me. I was interested if anyone else shared the same sentiment. Evidently not. Out of the OG's dudes, I always loved Lucero's stuff.

Cliver is a good illustrator and has done some nice stuff but also done some dog shit.
but thats my opinion. Art is absolutely subjective.

VCJ's art is meh, same for Jim Phillips and all the copycats.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #603 on: December 20, 2021, 12:07:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I work at a shop and that board sat on the wall for months before anyone bought it and it was because we offered it to some kid for the same price we paid for it.

This must be one of the Nickel bloards that was screened over

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #604 on: December 20, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #605 on: December 20, 2021, 01:31:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

if you think john lucero’s art is better than sean cliver’s then you just have bad taste (you’re not wrong about those rocky horror graphics though)

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #606 on: December 20, 2021, 01:34:55 AM »

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #607 on: December 20, 2021, 01:39:22 AM »

johnny ryan art is intentionally extremely stupid and vulgar, doesn’t really belong in this thread

somesortofspin

• Rep: -80
« Reply #608 on: December 20, 2021, 01:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
johnny ryan art is intentionally extremely stupid and vulgar, doesn’t really belong in this thread

it does. if your art is intentionally extremely stupid it doesn't take itself out from being judged the same way than something that isn't trying to be ironic.
this is some anti vaxx shit and it looks ugly. enough to be posted in a whack board graphic thread.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
« Reply #609 on: December 20, 2021, 02:13:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

it does. if your art is intentionally extremely stupid it doesn't take itself out from being judged the same way than something that isn't trying to be ironic.
this is some anti vaxx shit and it looks ugly. enough to be posted in a whack board graphic thread.
i wasn’t saying “ironic” art shouldn’t be judged, just that it’s kind of an obvious thing to post in here, since it’s intentionally ugly and juvenile. like it’s getting the intended reaction. how is that anti-vax though? seems more pro-vax than anything imho. wouldn’t the guy in the “deathwish” tee getting ripped apart by coronavirii more than likely be unvaxxed?

somesortofspin

« Reply #610 on: December 20, 2021, 02:55:15 AM »
being ripped apart is not how this virus works and its just stupid to even make it a topic on your skateboard.
i care about how my boards look. I like blank boards more than this ugly designed bullshit.

somefucker

« Reply #611 on: December 20, 2021, 03:48:19 AM »
being ripped apart is not how this virus works and its just stupid to even make it a topic on your skateboard.
i care about how my boards look. I like blank boards more than this ugly designed bullshit.

no shit it's not how the virus works. it's called artistic license.
that being said the graphic is stupid because it's designed poorly, any other execution of this idea would look better

somesortofspin

« Reply #612 on: December 20, 2021, 03:53:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no shit it's not how the virus works. it's called artistic license.
that being said the graphic is stupid because it's designed poorly, any other execution of this idea would look better

artistic license my ass. its kind of making fun of how the virus is out there killing people. what else is the point of this cartoon? "we are aware there is a virus outside so I thought yea I might draw smiling viruses ripping apart Jon Dickson " you cant tell if its pro or anti vaxx cause its shows viruses in such a extreme untrue way. plus its ugly as fuck.

Loady McGee

• Rep: 56
« Reply #613 on: December 20, 2021, 03:54:17 AM »
I love Johnny Ryan's comics and artwork (as you can tell by my username and profile pic). But I have to agree that his series for Deathwish was pretty boring and played out. Sure, a lot of his gag panels on instagram contains current events but they are often so absurd that the current event is just backdrop for something else. These lack that typical Johnny Ryan touch and comes off as lazy.

somefucker

« Reply #614 on: December 20, 2021, 04:10:07 AM »
artistic license my ass. its kind of making fun of how the virus is out there killing people. what else is the point of this cartoon? "we are aware there is a virus outside so I thought yea I might draw smiling viruses ripping apart Jon Dickson " you cant tell if its pro or anti vaxx cause its shows viruses in such a extreme untrue way. plus its ugly as fuck.

ok i see i fell for the stupid bait. the point of the graphic is to make you look at it, think it's humorous. i see you chose to get your panties in a twist instead, tell us what other graphics really grind your gears?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #615 on: December 20, 2021, 04:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I grew up drawing and was in love with VCJ’s old stuff, Jimbo is a god, and Steve Naazer (classic T&C surf) were my favorites. I didn’t appreciate Lucero until much later.

New VCJ has none of the attention to detail of the originals, he’s just shitting stuff out for Powell, including &&’s deck (which I can’t stand, graphics-wise).

The only Cliver stuff I liked were his illustrations for Big Brother. He’s good, but doesn’t have the natural sense of composition that Jimbo and VCJ had.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #616 on: December 20, 2021, 04:41:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I grew up drawing and was in love with VCJ’s old stuff, Jimbo is a god, and Steve Naazer (classic T&C surf) were my favorites. I didn’t appreciate Lucero until much later.

New VCJ has none of the attention to detail of the originals, he’s just shitting stuff out for Powell, including &&’s deck (which I can’t stand, graphics-wise).

The only Cliver stuff I liked were his illustrations for Big Brother. He’s good, but doesn’t have the natural sense of composition that Jimbo and VCJ had.

That's fair, you make good points. He seems like a really nice guy, and it was rude of me to insult his art. But I don't think I can ever appreciate the Powell aesthetic.

somesortofspin

« Reply #617 on: December 20, 2021, 04:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ok i see i fell for the stupid bait. the point of the graphic is to make you look at it, think it's humorous. i see you chose to get your panties in a twist instead, tell us what other graphics really grind your gears?

ok dumbass people laugh about different things. if somebody from your family died from it you wouldn't look at it and be like HAHAHAHA a shitty drawing of death causing viruses

somefucker

« Reply #618 on: December 20, 2021, 04:52:09 AM »
ok dumbass people laugh about different things. if somebody from your family died from it you wouldn't look at it and be like HAHAHAHA a shitty drawing of death causing viruses

i can see why nobody wanted to sponsor you with that shitty attitude, prob kooked yourself out of every opportunity

i hope you can get some help and see some things in a positive light

somesortofspin

« Reply #619 on: December 20, 2021, 05:09:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i can see why nobody wanted to sponsor you with that shitty attitude, prob kooked yourself out of every opportunity

i hope you can get some help and see some things in a positive light

yea man such a shitty attitude of disliking funny covid related real life death causing cartoon drawings

some people here are Industrie insiders crawling into assholes and im glad I can hate on shit that sucks.

i dont know who drew this and I dont care if he has scene history. this looks shitty and is distasteful.

cant wait for the next drop of cartoons like cancer cells eating Jon Dicksons brain up and the cancer cells are laughing and have cute faces. bet if I dont find it funny my attitude is so fucked up.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 05:31:51 AM by somesortofspin »

mushroom slice

« Reply #620 on: December 20, 2021, 07:07:22 AM »
You are so soft. Crying about a cartoon.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #621 on: December 20, 2021, 07:26:02 AM »

I bet these dudes are crying on it are Siciu fans...
Im vaccinated and will get the 3 shot...but this graphic is just bad. Stop crying for everything.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #622 on: December 20, 2021, 08:17:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Im vaccinated and will get the 3 shot...but this graphic is just bad. Stop crying for everything.

Agreed. It's kind of gauche considering vaccinated people (like my grandma) are ending up in the ICU. Toy Machine did a similar graphic, but went about it much more tastfully in my opinion:

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #623 on: December 20, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed. It's kind of gauche considering vaccinated people (like my grandma) are ending up in the ICU. Toy Machine did a similar graphic, but went about it much more tastfully in my opinion:

Should have made this a Josh Harmony board.

pro club blanks

« Reply #624 on: December 20, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »

Obnoxiously on brand. I saw that spanky is art director at baker but who keeps rubberstamping this bs for deathwish?

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
« Reply #625 on: December 20, 2021, 01:44:55 PM »
Surely this has been previously posted, but it really deserves an appearance on every page...

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #626 on: December 20, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
why is puma so sad

WavyDavy

• Rep: 127
« Reply #627 on: December 20, 2021, 01:58:29 PM »
why is puma so sad

Because he's on am almost deck :(

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #628 on: December 20, 2021, 02:02:06 PM »

Without zooming in all I see is Eric Andre

mushroom slice

« Reply #629 on: December 20, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »
Cory Duffel gentrifying the menace logo is hands down biggest foul I’ve seen in a while. All of adored graphics are absolutely trashy