Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54473 times)

dooley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2020, 10:51:11 AM »
My best friend died almost exactly 6 years ago to the day, and I haven't really skated since.

I think as we got older (late 30's), I only kept skating because it's what we always did together since we were 12.
R.I.P. Why not have a little sesh in his memory?

Vans as a "core" brand is pretty delusional, but try explaining that to some dumbass billboard kid who also has the shirt to match in case people are confused.

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 43
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
I can't backside noseslide to save my life. Don't even ask why, I don't get it either.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
I fear my two daughters (2 & 4)won’t wanna skate with me as they get older. I already have no one to skate with or share skateboarding with.

I really don’t understand why anyone would want to skate in Nikes

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2020, 11:02:38 AM »
I fear my two daughters (2 & 4)won’t wanna skate with me as they get older. I already have no one to skate with or share skateboarding with.

I really don’t understand why anyone would want to skate in Nikes

Dm sent. I'll skate with you. Hopefully your within driving distance. 

Technique

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »
Can't really kickflip... fuck

I like skating the park alone, I enjoy the quiet. I can actually focus on the tricks and enjoy skating then. I know I suck and knowing that there's people watching me makes me suck even more.

Some people are super hard for me to be hyped on skating with for some reason. They're not even bad people or anything, they just don't seem to be as passionate about skating, even though some of them are way better than me.

I'm also the guy who will come to the park, say hi to everyone, put his headphones on and just skate. I know, not cool, but sometimes I'm just really trying to skate and I don't wanna chat or hang out. Sorry.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
Oh and I once faked falling asleep during a blowjob because of how horrible it was.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »
I routinely beat overweight twelve year olds that can barely ollie in games of SKATE.  I talk shit to them as I’m administering the ass-whooping.

I can relate to that. But from the perspective of the overweight twelve year old. ^^ Honestly it wasn't that bad for me, I was motivated to learn new tricks.
IG: @flowterspace

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
Expand Quote
My best friend died almost exactly 6 years ago to the day, and I haven't really skated since.

I think as we got older (late 30's), I only kept skating because it's what we always did together since we were 12.
[close]

Vans as a "core" brand is pretty delusional, but try explaining that to some dumbass billboard kid who also has the shirt to match in case people are confused.

I can tell you this from personal knowledge. I’m pretty sure I’ve stated it a number of times, so it feels like I’m beating a dead horse, but when VANS sold themselves to VF Corp they had an extremely unique contract situation where essentially they got to keep creative control of the brand, while also keeping complete control of the skate sides money allocation including contests/charity. The only thing VF corp has control of is production and who is selling the product(not just core shops), but the actual marketing and skate team and skate parks and contest series are being controlled by those that were in charge before the change. Therefore comparing them to say Nike or Adidas is a joke because they didn’t completely sell out.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can tell you this from personal knowledge. I’m pretty sure I’ve stated it a number of times, so it feels like I’m beating a dead horse, but when VANS sold themselves to VF Corp they had an extremely unique contract situation where essentially they got to keep creative control of the brand, while also keeping complete control of the skate sides money allocation including contests/charity. The only thing VF corp has control of is production and who is selling the product(not just core shops), but the actual marketing and skate team and skate parks and contest series are being controlled by those that were in charge before the change. Therefore comparing them to say Nike or Adidas is a joke because they didn’t completely sell out.

so it was vans idea for the vans x tnf bag?

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
This morning I watched MVP2 (Most Vertical Primate) and fell asleep before I got to see Bob Burnquist.

Kinda wanna track down one of those monke decks now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »
I hate that I see kids wearing: Converse, Nike's, New Balance, and Adidas all the time now. I have really only worn: Vans and Emerica's (I think my Mom bought me a pair of Globe's one Christmas). I'm not the guy who always preaches about being core..but seeing the three stripes or the swoop makes me hate you

I'm all for skaters riding for these bigger brands to make money, and I totally get that Vans is a bigger brand...but in my book they get a pass because they were the first legit skate shoe

Edit: Also I hate the gut reaction of... oh well my Nike's are just so comfortable. We know that's total crap because my Vans Era's feel fine. Don't be so comfortable all the time for that matter and learn to get used to some of the discomfort of life

Van's in owned by Vanity Fucking Fare, hardly core now, regardless of how or when they started.

I still wear Vans tho.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2020, 11:43:31 AM »
So it's owned by VF Co. They sold themselves. Full control of production and distribution is the be all end all, everything else is secondary. They let the skaters handle the marketing/PR/charity/etc because it's the most profitable. What, the geriatrics who own VF know how to put together proper skate-related events for maximum positive exposure? It's to pacify people and maximize profit under the guise of "core".

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So basically what your saying is they are owned by a corporation which could hypothetically shut them down at any time if its not profitable.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2020, 11:45:29 AM »
i only skate on decks which are manufactured from core wood shops.

corpo urethane?  pfft - get fucked

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
Heelflips are cool.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »
I’ve always preferred Rick Howard’s style over Carrols

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »
Shin Sanbongi's Adidas part got me more stoked to skate than anything put out in 2019

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
I go to the skatepark by myself 2 or 3 times a week. Every time I tell myself I'll make a friend/find a squad but it never happens.

I even moved to a new city thinking it would help, but nah.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2020, 12:35:46 PM »
I enjoy watching Shawn Powers skate footage

I dig it too...

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2020, 12:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

So basically what your saying is they are owned by a corporation which could hypothetically shut them down at any time if its not profitable.

No there’s something in the contract preventing this or else VF has to give it back over with all the growth they gave it as well. It’s very complicated but the people who told me, I trust very heavily, prolly more then anyone out there as a matter of fact.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

rapscallion

• Rep: -4
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2020, 12:47:07 PM »
I shave my ears sometimes because it bothers me seeing hairs on my lobes.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
The majority of slap doesn't want reality
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2020, 01:06:17 PM »
I’ve always preferred Rick Howard’s style over Carrols
I love them both, and I have a really hard time setting them apart when they share parts

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2020, 01:11:55 PM »
Sounds like a lie, cheetah. Another big claim you won't prove.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2020, 01:13:28 PM »
Oh and I once faked falling asleep during a blowjob because of how horrible it was.
kind of in the same realm but when I was like 17 I was at this party and this chick I had kinda been talking to told me to go upstairs with her so I did and she was giving me head and I just laid back crossed my arms stared at the ceiling and thought to myself “wow I really don’t like this girl.” My friend still brings it up til this day

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2020, 01:22:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No there’s something in the contract preventing this or else VF has to give it back over with all the growth they gave it as well. It’s very complicated but the people who told me, I trust very heavily, prolly more then anyone out there as a matter of fact.

Let's just say this is wrong....okay.
Why would you skate shoes other than Vans? Maybe you like the way they look, feel, the comfort-ability  they afford your feet.

I just don't understand why anyone would wear anything else than Vans or Emerica's. Trust me I'm pigeonholing myself and I know this, but when I see someone skating in Nike's or Adidas it just looks wrong
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:25:52 PM by Lowcalcium »

Gasstationgarry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2020, 01:28:22 PM »
Ive been on Slap for four years and still don't know how to get it to show my username and mot my real name.
blob:https://imgur.com/99a29482-a4b4-4bd4-935b-d63d9db0e647

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Let's just say this is wrong....okay.
Why would you skate shoes other than Vans? Maybe you like they way they look, feel, the comfort-ability  they afford your feet.

I just don't understand why anyone would wear anything else than Vans or Emerica's. Trust me I'm pigeonholing myself and I know this, but when I see someone skating in Nike's or Adidas it just looks wrong

People have been skating Nike Blazers, a basket ball shoe, since the 70s.   Even your Van's messenger explained in a Love Letters how Nike sponsored entire teams like G&S (go look up Neil Blender photos) in the 80s.   

Adidas and Nike were all over skating in the 90s because minus the HalfCab, no one wanted to skate the shitty Van's shoes that were hard to find anyway.   

Then look at whatever the fuck Van's did to try to stay relavent when Es and Axion took over for a bit.  The Cab 5 or 6 or whatever the fuck.   Van's were hurting then.

Then go examine the first issue of Thrasher.  The cover specifically.   Then think about your opinion some more. 

And throw the word "core" out of your vocabulary.  That shit doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:31:50 PM by Mike Oxwelling »

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »
I placed higher than Brian Anderson at Tampa Pro, but was beaten by Elissa Steamer (we all did terribly). I did get a trophy in Best Trick, though.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
I obsess about skate equipment from November-March because the weather is shitty and I am not skating enough.  During those months I spend more time online than on the board. 

In the summer I don't give a shit about new trucks because I am spending my time skating instead.