Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93377 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2020, 10:19:09 PM »
The local university just declared all classes will now be taught online for the next month.

Spring Break is my big worry. What happens when all the idiot children come back from vacation?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just spent 2 months in Laos (se asia) and theyve got no reported cases lol.  Im in the malayasian airport and i feel good.  Kinda stoked on the virus cause im enroute to Bali and it will keep alot of surf tourists away, so that will mean less crowded surf.
[close]

You are a moron.
[close]
  Get mad about then dude -see what that does
[close]
over 3000 ppl dying so far is cool because now less people will burn you in the water
  Leave the social activism to things we have any real control over there bub.   Me being happy wont kill anybodies grand parents.  And fuck wasted hippy.  Fucking mosquito.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2020, 11:21:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just spent 2 months in Laos (se asia) and theyve got no reported cases lol.  Im in the malayasian airport and i feel good.  Kinda stoked on the virus cause im enroute to Bali and it will keep alot of surf tourists away, so that will mean less crowded surf.
[close]

You are a moron.
[close]
[close]
over 3000 ppl dying so far is cool because now less people will burn you in the water
[close]
  Leave the social activism to things we have any real control over there bub.   Me being happy wont kill anybodies grand parents.  And fuck wasted hippy.  Fucking mosquito.

Having control over it or you being happy isn't the point, it's still a lame comment to say your "stoked on the virus" you dumbass

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2020, 12:10:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You are a moron.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Pointing out your navel-gazing isn't exactly social activism, bub.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You are a moron.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Pointing out your navel-gazing isn't exactly social activism, bub.
    This whole thread is titled, "the corona virus, whats it doing where ur at" -thats what my post was about.  I was just in the epicentre of the epidemic. Being happy about less crowded surf is a victimless crime.
  U both need to chill on the keynoard.  There is actual bad people out there doing actual bad things.   I dont want to mess with those people either so i guess i can see why you are chastising me online.  Its safe and fun for u (at least it is for wasted hippy, always getting his little jabs at me. )
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2020, 07:07:39 AM »
The local university just declared all classes will now be taught online for the next month.

Spring Break is my big worry. What happens when all the idiot children come back from vacation?

There's talk of doing that at the university I work at, which I guess means I'll be working from home for a while. Only two confirmed cases in my state too, but the governor just declared a state of emergency. I haven't seen any hystaria at any shops yet, but I'm sure I will.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2020, 07:11:35 AM »
My wife and her sister went to a post Malone concert last night in Austin TX...I think at least one person there had to have corona already.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Banned from the room

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2020, 07:14:09 AM »
Yo

We ALL just got a text from my health clinic.

Its here in Lynn Ma.

I'm going to die from this infection anyway

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2020, 07:32:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's talk of doing that at the university I work at, which I guess means I'll be working from home for a while. Only two confirmed cases in my state too, but the governor just declared a state of emergency. I haven't seen any hystaria at any shops yet, but I'm sure I will.

i am an adjunct professor ("English") at two different universities in Michigan, where we just had our first two cases confirmed.

one of the universities emailed faculty a while back about beginning to consider how to teach the rest of the semester from home if classes and/or campus had to be closed. we always talk in my classes about what people are doing over spring break, and to my knowledge only one student was going anywhere, and that was to Florida.

i hope everybody is well...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:36:01 AM by Deputy Wendell »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2020, 07:48:44 AM »
Not many cases yet in Portland but not many tests done either. I work with homeless youth (16 to 25) some of them live in mass shelters so we are bracing ourselves.... B/c of their age, I'm hoping, if we get hit no one will get it that bad, however, there are lots of other risk factors in our population that could contribute to the severity of the cases...

On a personal level, I totally forget about it unless I switch on the news. Certainly been washing my hands more and boosting Fit C, D but what else can you do....

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2278
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2020, 07:52:56 AM »
Volcom was going to premire a surf vid tonight and just cancelled it due to the virus. Definitely a liability if someone caught it there. Basically any mass gathering of people is ill advised. All the stores by me are pushing anti bacterial soap and tp,it's funny and a bummer. My wife stocked up on food thinking we are going to be stuck in the house forever.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2020, 07:55:43 AM »
Not many cases yet in Portland but not many tests done either. I work with homeless youth (16 to 25) some of them live in mass shelters so we are bracing ourselves.... B/c of their age, I'm hoping, if we get hit no one will get it that bad, however, there are lots of other risk factors in our population that could contribute to the severity of the cases...

On a personal level, I totally forget about it unless I switch on the news. Certainly been washing my hands more and boosting Fit C, D but what else can you do....

i feel you on this--i'm not especially worried about catching it myself. i am worried about giving it my mom or my aunt, who are both in their seventies. my mom's pretty stubborn and full-speed-ahead about things, and she just worked the primary elections yesterday here in Michigan--she said she practiced as much caution as possible, so i'm hoping/praying she's fine...

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2020, 08:09:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i am an adjunct professor ("English") at two different universities in Michigan, where we just had our first two cases confirmed.

one of the universities emailed faculty a while back about beginning to consider how to teach the rest of the semester from home if classes and/or campus had to be closed. we always talk in my classes about what people are doing over spring break, and to my knowledge only one student was going anywhere, and that was to Florida.

I'm in MI as well (WSU). I'm sure we'll hear later today whether we'll be going virtual. Both cases were fairly close in proximity to the university. Michigan State just announced that they're going all online. If we don't, the media is going to slay us.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »
Yo

We ALL just got a text from my health clinic.

Its here in Lynn Ma.

I'm going to die from this infection anyway

You’ve survived this long. By the sounds of it, you’ve already beaten the odds a few times. You will continue living, and you will live well.

This, too, shall pass.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 42
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »
Well it's a pandemic now apparently.
Does anyone know what that actually changes?

I feel working in a hospital I should know.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Pnw

• Rep: -2
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
Seattle is banning any public gatherings over 250 people.

People at work are starting to freak out, we don’t have the ability to work from home. I just went to Kauai last week so I’m out of vacation time.

On a side note rush hour traffic is pretty dead.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2020, 11:21:52 AM »
Yeah we've had 3 cases here and they basically cancelled the whole weekend, No St Pattys parade and no Super Sunday (Mardi Gras Indians event) pretty bummed on that one

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2020, 11:29:58 AM »
Well it's a pandemic now apparently.
Does anyone know what that actually changes?

I feel working in a hospital I should know.

A pandemic is considered worldwide
An epidemic local.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1237020518781460480.html

A tweet thread expanding on the drastic measures China has taken to contain the virus.

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »
I’m a property manager for a  large charity and am part of our pandemic response team. We are starting to cancel events. Which really sucks for a charity.

Eventually someone in one of our buildings will get it and we will have to send everyone home for 2 weeks.

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2020, 11:52:59 AM »
I work at a startup in Malibu and people are starting to freak a bit in the community. Pepperdine University cancelled in-person classes for the rest of the semester, as well as most other major LA colleges. We just had a stand up at work and the CEO is saying to prepare for the complete lockdowns of some places in the US, most likely starting with Seattle. My job can be totally done remotely from home so I'm hoping they announce we don't have to come into the office soon.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2020, 12:04:58 PM »
all the suicidal kids in japan
cuz
they skipped gradez
mArLeY

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2020, 12:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm in MI as well (WSU). I'm sure we'll hear later today whether we'll be going virtual. Both cases were fairly close in proximity to the university. Michigan State just announced that they're going all online. If we don't, the media is going to slay us.

yeah, WSU is one of the spots where i teach--i'm sure you have probably seen the newest email, but they extended spring break to March 23--although this is going to be a pain in the ass on the teaching end, A: i'm sure my students will be stoked (despite the reason), and B: i actually think this was a solid way to approach this...we'll see.

keep working for and praying for the best, but be prepared for the worst, right? as long as people keep their heads and remember that we're all trying to stay safe and sane, this is manageable...

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, WSU is one of the spots where i teach--i'm sure you have probably seen the newest email, but they extended spring break to March 23--although this is going to be a pain in the ass on the teaching end, A: i'm sure my students will be stoked (despite the reason), and B: i actually think this was a solid way to approach this...we'll see.

keep working for and praying for the best, but be prepared for the worst, right? as long as people keep their heads and remember that we're all trying to stay safe and sane, this is manageable...

I'm wondering what they're going to do moving forward. It seems like this extra week will be for professors to plan how to move their courses online, but I have no idea what will happen for all the hands on classes.

I've got one class this semester which is already online and I'm not going to take next week off. Everyone still has the same amount of work to get done and losing a week is only going to make things harder in the end. I assume it probably feels the same on the teaching end as you've got a certain amount of material you need to cover.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm wondering what they're going to do moving forward. It seems like this extra week will be for professors to plan how to move their courses online, but I have no idea what will happen for all the hands on classes.

I've got one class this semester which is already online and I'm not going to take next week off. Everyone still has the same amount of work to get done and losing a week is only going to make things harder in the end. I assume it probably feels the same on the teaching end as you've got a certain amount of material you need to cover.

i would say that's exactly what the week is for, which again, i'm feeling, because i've never taught an online course before. actually i've turned them down, because--despite their practicality for people with kids and jobs and all--i got into this mess because of what goes on face-to-face in the classroom. (i'm assuming the week will have to be made up at the end, like last year when we had those closings due to the weather.)

that all being said, a pandemic obviously changes things a bit. the email i just received said there's obviously concern for the significant amount of students who have "limited access to technology off campus."

i hope all is well for you and yours man--stay safe...

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2020, 01:56:19 PM »
San Diego.
No TP, paper towels or hand soap anywhere. Went to Walmart, Vons and Rite Aid.
Seen a lot of people buying cases of water.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2020, 02:09:26 PM »
I went to a concert last night at the Dolby Theater in hollwood, 3k people. Everyone kept their space.

That said, I'm on an indefinite self-quarantine baby!

Company forced all employees to work from home for the next two weeks (which will probably be extended to who knows when). We've been scheduling virtual happy hours, coffee, etc. Its been pretty fun and funny so far. I literally have a meeting in my calendar for 4pm with 30 people titled "Virtual Beers".

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2020, 03:40:36 PM »
Only had 2 or 3 confirmed cases in my state until today, when it was announced that someone in my city was confirmed to have it after traveling internationally for business last month.

Looks like my decision to set myself up to be able to stay home for a month if needed without leaving is looking like a better choice by the minute.  Shit's scary since I just got over some other nasty flu a week ago and my lungs haven't recovered, but I'm more concerned with my folks and my father in law as they're all mid-80s with my dad having early COPD symptoms from being a 50 year smoker of Pall Mall unfiltereds at 2 packs a day.

Stay safe, guys.  The next month is going to get VERY bumpy for all of us with this, there really is no containment now.
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »
Went to the market yesterday but already regret not stocking up on more.
My wife is past due 1 week with our second child, just a weird time, already felt like life was on hold.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

hmmmokay

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2020, 04:46:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i would say that's exactly what the week is for, which again, i'm feeling, because i've never taught an online course before. actually i've turned them down, because--despite their practicality for people with kids and jobs and all--i got into this mess because of what goes on face-to-face in the classroom. (i'm assuming the week will have to be made up at the end, like last year when we had those closings due to the weather.)

that all being said, a pandemic obviously changes things a bit. the email i just received said there's obviously concern for the significant amount of students who have "limited access to technology off campus."

i hope all is well for you and yours man--stay safe...

Re; bold items. Both colleges I adjunct at have done the same, with the exception of one that's cancelled through the 29th (their spring break doesnt start until the 23rd). One class I teach could absolutely be taught online, the only thing I worry about is students having access to tech they need (mainly photoshop). The other one is focused on creating a more serious photographic body of work and the tldr of that is; most of my students shoot film and don't have scanners/darkrooms at home so at the moment my dept head is trying to figure out a few solutions but it's pretty up in the air at this point.

It just sucks overall. On the plus side I'm going to save a ton on gas as my commute to both schools is kind of lengthy. Hope everyone fares well over the coming weeks no matter what line of work you're in.