Author Topic: aboslute WIDEST toe box skate shoes?  (Read 43311 times)

SaySo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
Re: aboslute WIDEST toe box skate shoes?
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2022, 08:30:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Mentioned a few posts back but the NB#440 is a great fitting shoe, nice and wide and not pointy. Stock, They hurt my arches tho (all NB do); I had to size down 1/2 a size.
[close]

My experience is 440s definitely not that wide. The toebox is ok, but around the middle of the arch the shoe compresses my foot's sides like crazy. My midfoot is slimmer and gets wider towards forefoot. Also the heelcup is not that wide in 440s and I can feel compression on the sides of my heel as well. I trusted reviews saying that the shoes fit wide feet and was vastly disappointed finding they're narrower. But yeah, feet are very different, mine are weird.

IDK how legit this guy is, but I found him while perusing Youtube. He's apparently a podiatrist, and gives advice on how to size, and find shoe shapes that will at least fit the overall "footprints" of our foot shape even buying online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqn8k3tVl6c
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

LebowskisRug

« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2022, 03:27:41 PM »
I have an actual measured D/E width foot and very low volume feet. 440 fits me great. You might need something with more midfoot volume but it's general shape and all NB I've owned have been to be really snug in the midfoot.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2022, 10:48:24 AM »
How much space do you guys typically look for between the end of your toes and the end of a shoe you are going to skate?  This is where I run into trouble - I'll find something in a comfortable width, but it just feels too long.

MikeX

• Rep: 7
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2022, 07:37:31 AM »
Back when I went to the guy who made my orthopedics, he said a good space to have between your toe and the tip of the shoe is a thumbs width (not the knuckle, the tip of the your thumb widthwise), assuming you dont have sausage fingers 😅

Thebird

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2022, 10:37:18 AM »
Just ordered some Tyshawns.  Fingers crossed.  The search for the perfect fitting shoe continues.......

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2022, 03:44:25 PM »
Just ordered some Tyshawns.  Fingers crossed.  The search for the perfect fitting shoe continues.......

It's the perfect fit for me, amazingly comfortable shoe (skating or no) because it's shaped like my foot. I'm waiting on a good colorway to nab some for chillers. I do use aftermarket insoles for better arch support; currently using the superfeet oranges.

The collar padding is chef's kiss good.

Thebird

« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2022, 07:41:58 PM »
Picked up some 440 highs as well.  I've had a pair of the lows which I felt were a little too snug, but these definitely fit great. 

Thebird

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2022, 03:06:20 PM »
@Xen, how much do the Tyshawns stretch?  Just got a pair of leather mids, they feel a little snug.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2022, 04:51:28 PM »
@Xen, how much do the Tyshawns stretch?  Just got a pair of leather mids, they feel a little snug.

Did you get TTS? I went a half size up and didn't need to worry about break in at all (in suede btw).

Thebird

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2022, 07:15:14 PM »
I got tts.  The length feels good, just a little snug where the bottom lace is.  At $40, I'm gonna try to break them in and see what happens.  They definitely feel like a quality shoe.

Xen

• SLAP Pal

Thebird

« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2022, 04:54:47 AM »
Picked up some Emerica Quentins over the weekend.  They are fairly wide.  Not quite as roomy as the KSL, but they do have a similar shape.  Very basic shoe.  I'll definitely be swapping the insoles.

RayGatsby

• Rep: 2
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2022, 03:21:27 PM »
After trying on literally dozens of shoes looking for ones that fit my relatively wide feed, I've settled on the following quiver of shoes that feel comfortable on my feet: Accel Slims half-size up; Lakai Cambridges TTS; Emerica Quentin G6s TTS; Vans Half Cabs in half size up; and Vans Rowans in half size up.

I thought I liked Adidas Tyshawns (suede) in a full size up, but later realized that they were actually too big. So I got Adidas Tyshawns in a half size up (but in leather) and they were too tight at the top of the toe box. Maybe someday I'll try a half size up in suede (instead of leather) and maybe those will fit better, but I think I'm good for now on shoes. 

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2023, 08:18:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mentioned a few posts back but the NB#440 is a great fitting shoe, nice and wide and not pointy. Stock, They hurt my arches tho (all NB do); I had to size down 1/2 a size.
[close]

My experience is 440s definitely not that wide. The toebox is ok, but around the middle of the arch the shoe compresses my foot's sides like crazy. My midfoot is slimmer and gets wider towards forefoot. Also the heelcup is not that wide in 440s and I can feel compression on the sides of my heel as well. I trusted reviews saying that the shoes fit wide feet and was vastly disappointed finding they're narrower. But yeah, feet are very different, mine are weird.
[close]

IDK how legit this guy is, but I found him while perusing Youtube. He's apparently a podiatrist, and gives advice on how to size, and find shoe shapes that will at least fit the overall "footprints" of our foot shape even buying online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqn8k3tVl6c

I watched this, and the silhouette of shoe shape idea made sense, so i did one. I have a c shaped foot, which now explains why i liked the DC Evan Smiths (not the manual) so much, my Merrell barefoot shoes, the NB Minimus and why i cant wear nike blazers or vans old skools. I now need to find some C shaped skate kicks.

[email protected]

• Rep: -1
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2023, 05:30:49 PM »
They are an absolute snowboard boot but the ‘es silo eco fit my D with, narrow heel, high arch and short toes really well.  True to size too.  Definitely not an out of box skater but I’ve learned to enjoy not numb toes over boards feel in my later years

Thebird

« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2023, 11:35:35 AM »
Just got some Emerica og1s.  Definitely some of the widest shoes I have had.  I possibly could have gone down half a size.

Bluntmane

• Rep: -13
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2023, 12:36:29 PM »
They definitely fit a little too snug but not enough where I would order a size up. They stretch out a little bit after you have them on for awhile

Bluntmane

• Rep: -13
« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2023, 12:37:45 PM »
The adidas forums have a pretty wide toe box. They last forever too, they’re like tanks

vampiresinsacramento

• Rep: 0
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2023, 11:18:59 AM »
Ok everyone, I've been doing a TOOOON of research into this. I come from a minimal shoe with wide toe box background. I've been searching for shoes that have a wide toe box (like, ACTUALLY wide which lets your toes splay) that would at the same time be suitable for skateboarding. I've come up with the following options:

1. SOM Footwear Trailhead OR SOM Footwear HiLite - https://www.somfootwear.com/products/trailhead
These shoes seem to be the most promising. The 8mm cup sole is thin enough that you'll get good board feel, while being polyurethane material (which is lighter and more durable than vulcanized rubber) that according to SOM has "excellent grip on rocks." This could translate to good grip on griptape as well. The insole of the shoe has a cup sole. Another really cool thing about the shoe is that the uppers are made out of SuperFabric, which apparently is designed to be pretty tough. And finally, SOM does offer neoprene flat inserts (about 14 bucks) which apparently "keeps its thickness and shape even during strenous activities such as running or jumping." Extra cushion never hurts, and this all makes SOM seem like a pretty good option. Finally finally, I did actually reach out to SOM Footwear and they said their customers who skateboard choose the Trailhead or HiLite, which is why I included both. The bulk of my research was on the Trailhead, but I'm throwing the HiLite in there for anyone who may be looking for the same materials of the Trailhead in a high-top option.

2. Icarus Ascent - https://icarusfootwear.com/products/first-flight
I found about these guys from the /r/barefootrunning sub on Reddit, and the owner was doing an AMA. I noticed in the description of the shoes, it comes with three different insoles. One of the insoles is a "Thick Max-Energy insoles (Cushioned heel; 5-11mm thick)," which "offer maximum impact absorption to protect your heel from repeated impacts on modern surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Great for long days in the urban jungle, skateboarding, or if your feet aren't ready for "barefoot" levels of support." I asked the owner about using the shoes in conjunction with their thickest insole for skateboarding, to which the owner said it would be a good idea. These shoes look pretty nice too, tho I'd probably use them for just cruising as opposed to doing tricks, for fear of messing with the white leather upper. Of course everyone else is different.

3. Flux Footwear Adapt High Top with Graphene - https://fluxfootwear.com/products/flux-high-top-graphene-adapt
This seems like a very durable shoe, from the ripstop fabric upper to the graphene rubber sole. It seems like this shoe would do very well with abrasion, and the sole seems flexible enough to bend with the movement of skateboarding. I reached out to the Flux Footwear people to see if they've been tested for skateboarding, to which they said not yet, but that they'll be hoping to do something like that soon. All in all, with a decent stack height these shoes might not be bad for skateboarding.

4. Adidas The Total Trainer - https://www.adidas.com/us/the-total-shoes/HQ3533.html
I like the look of these but not 100% sure how well they'd fare for doing tricks or much beyond cruising. They are weightlifting shoes which seem geared at keeping the foot in a stable position, so the sole may not be flexible or be well-suited to skating. Just thought I'd throw this out there as the sole and uppers do seem durable enough for a skate shoe, and the toe box of course is wide enough.

5. Splay Freestyle - https://splayshoes.com/collections/freestyle/products/splay-freestyle-coal-shoes
These have been mentioned before, but I thought it worth mentioning again to those who just stumbled upon this thread. The colorway I linked is the most Vans-esque, tho they also do have slip-on versions of their shoes if you really wanna get that yung Vans vibe. These do have a vulcanized rubber sole, and after doing some digging through Splay's instagram a decent amount of their customers do actually use this shoe for skating. Shoe goo or the like is a must for the upper, but the sole seems durable enough, and it absolutely is flexible as well. Have a pair of these myself, they're mad comfy, just haven't taken the plunge in skating with them yet.

6. Xero Prio - https://xeroshoes.com/shop/activity/performance/prio-men/
Braille Skateboarding actually did a video review of skating with these shoes, and you guys can find the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yup7RJDJk_c. I actually have a pair of these myself, and with how thin they are I'm surprised they managed to do so well skating with them (save for a few bad landings). Of course, the uppers already had holes in them by the time the video was over, but this could be addressed with something like shoe goo. This video was my lightbulb moment as I had been searching for ages for video evidence of people not just cruising but doing tricks with barefoot shoes. This video proves it's possible with the sole, but not so much with the uppers. Many have suggested Xero's Kelso as another good alternative as well, which I'll link below:

7. Xero Kelso - https://xeroshoes.com/shop/shoes/kelso-men/
What separates the Kelso from the Prio is the 6.0mm FeelTrue sole compared to the Prio's 5.5mm. As well, the uppers of the Kelso are a combination of full grain leather and suede. Not to mention, they look pretty badass as well.

I've definitely been meaning to cop at least one of these shoes (besides the Prio which I already have). If I ever do get one of these (or test out my Splay's cruising and doing tricks), I'll be sure to let you guys know.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2023, 03:01:03 PM »
Ok everyone, I've been doing a TOOOON of research into this. I come from a minimal shoe with wide toe box background. I've been searching for shoes that have a wide toe box (like, ACTUALLY wide which lets your toes splay) that would at the same time be suitable for skateboarding. I've come up with the following options:

1. SOM Footwear Trailhead OR SOM Footwear HiLite - https://www.somfootwear.com/products/trailhead
These shoes seem to be the most promising. The 8mm cup sole is thin enough that you'll get good board feel, while being polyurethane material (which is lighter and more durable than vulcanized rubber) that according to SOM has "excellent grip on rocks." This could translate to good grip on griptape as well. The insole of the shoe has a cup sole. Another really cool thing about the shoe is that the uppers are made out of SuperFabric, which apparently is designed to be pretty tough. And finally, SOM does offer neoprene flat inserts (about 14 bucks) which apparently "keeps its thickness and shape even during strenous activities such as running or jumping." Extra cushion never hurts, and this all makes SOM seem like a pretty good option. Finally finally, I did actually reach out to SOM Footwear and they said their customers who skateboard choose the Trailhead or HiLite, which is why I included both. The bulk of my research was on the Trailhead, but I'm throwing the HiLite in there for anyone who may be looking for the same materials of the Trailhead in a high-top option.

I found about these guys from the /r/barefootrunning sub on Reddit, and the owner was doing an AMA. I noticed in the description of the shoes, it comes with three different insoles. One of the insoles is a "Thick Max-Energy insoles (Cushioned heel; 5-11mm thick)," which "offer maximum impact absorption to protect your heel from repeated impacts on modern surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Great for long days in the urban jungle, skateboarding, or if your feet aren't ready for "barefoot" levels of support." I asked the owner about using the shoes in conjunction with their thickest insole for skateboarding, to which the owner said it would be a good idea. These shoes look pretty nice too, tho I'd probably use them for just cruising as opposed to doing tricks, for fear of messing with the white leather upper. Of course everyone else is different.

3. Flux Footwear Adapt High Top with Graphene - https://fluxfootwear.com/products/flux-high-top-graphene-adapt
This seems like a very durable shoe, from the ripstop fabric upper to the graphene rubber sole. It seems like this shoe would do very well with abrasion, and the sole seems flexible enough to bend with the movement of skateboarding. I reached out to the Flux Footwear people to see if they've been tested for skateboarding, to which they said not yet, but that they'll be hoping to do something like that soon. All in all, with a decent stack height these shoes might not be bad for skateboarding.

4. Adidas The Total Trainer - https://www.adidas.com/us/the-total-shoes/HQ3533.html
I like the look of these but not 100% sure how well they'd fare for doing tricks or much beyond cruising. They are weightlifting shoes which seem geared at keeping the foot in a stable position, so the sole may not be flexible or be well-suited to skating. Just thought I'd throw this out there as the sole and uppers do seem durable enough for a skate shoe, and the toe box of course is wide enough.

5. Splay Freestyle - https://splayshoes.com/collections/freestyle/products/splay-freestyle-coal-shoes
These have been mentioned before, but I thought it worth mentioning again to those who just stumbled upon this thread. The colorway I linked is the most Vans-esque, tho they also do have slip-on versions of their shoes if you really wanna get that yung Vans vibe. These do have a vulcanized rubber sole, and after doing some digging through Splay's instagram a decent amount of their customers do actually use this shoe for skating. Shoe goo or the like is a must for the upper, but the sole seems durable enough, and it absolutely is flexible as well. Have a pair of these myself, they're mad comfy, just haven't taken the plunge in skating with them yet.

Braille Skateboarding actually did a video review of skating with these shoes, and you guys can find the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yup7RJDJk_c. I actually have a pair of these myself, and with how thin they are I'm surprised they managed to do so well skating with them (save for a few bad landings). Of course, the uppers already had holes in them by the time the video was over, but this could be addressed with something like shoe goo. This video was my lightbulb moment as I had been searching for ages for video evidence of people not just cruising but doing tricks with barefoot shoes. This video proves it's possible with the sole, but not so much with the uppers. Many have suggested Xero's Kelso as another good alternative as well, which I'll link below:

What separates the Kelso from the Prio is the 6.0mm FeelTrue sole compared to the Prio's 5.5mm. As well, the uppers of the Kelso are a combination of full grain leather and suede. Not to mention, they look pretty badass as well.

I've definitely been meaning to cop at least one of these shoes (besides the Prio which I already have). If I ever do get one of these (or test out my Splay's cruising and doing tricks), I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Thank you for your research! To me the kelso and the freestyle look the best. I might try the freestyle, because it isn‘t as expensive. All the other ones are super pricy!

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2023, 03:29:45 PM »
The adidas forums have a pretty wide toe box. They last forever too, they’re like tanks

Definitely a tank. If you don’t need the boardfeel and are looking for comfort and support, the Forum is hard to beat.

Similarly, with those new colorways of the Superskate coming, I’d also recommend trying those if you’re willing to skate a hi-top. I have the vulc version (I think the new ones are a cupsole), but it’s very roomy inside. I put my aftermarket insole on top of the stock one *and* wear heavy socks with those. They fit perfect that way, so I’d particularly recommend these for people with voluminous feet.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2023, 12:16:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you for your research! To me the kelso and the freestyle look the best. I might try the freestyle, because it isn‘t as expensive. All the other ones are super pricy!

I have skated and really tried to make both the Freestyle and Kelso work.  I ended up hating both.  The Freestyle sole is a little more supportive, but the upper has no support at all.  The Kelso upper and shape were better for me.  The tiny bit of midsole in the Kelso packs out right away and I was doubling up insoles which made the shoe fit tight and defeats the purpose.  I’m back in some 288S and sad to hear NB is ditching that shoe.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2023, 06:51:01 AM »

the design of the Icarus, Flux and Splay looks good. if they ever make a skate version of those, i'm all in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2023, 11:50:56 AM »
Cross post from the cupsole thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115395.msg3971924#msg3971924

If I hadn't just picked up some Nyjah3s (I know, kill me now....but they fit / feel fucking tits and I'm using them for the gym until the get broken in, so double duty) I'd be all over these...that lace protection!

vampiresinsacramento

• Rep: 0
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2023, 04:13:15 PM »
In my tireless journey I've found more promising shoes from a company called Strike Movement...and these shoes won't break the bank! A lot of them are $60-$70, and some go up to $110 and $120.

Unlike the shoes I listed previously, these aren't zero drop but are pretty damn close - about 2 to 4mm heel to toe. They're all still hella wide around the toebox area, and flexible in the sole, but what really drew my curiosity are what the shoes feature: durable rubber soles (while still maintaining flexibility), and per the website "supportive sidewall chassis for increased lateral rigidity and perimeter protection during rope climbs." I figure if a shoe is good for rope climbs, it's probably good for skateboarding.

A big dealbreaker when it comes to minimalist style shoes and skateboarding are the uppers, but it appears the shoes here have solved that problem by using ripstop (and ultrasuede in some models). Bear in mind, not all of the shoes from this company are made of ripstop. So I went page by page on the "view all" option for the shoes, and just crtl+f ripstop. Here's what I found, sorted from least to most expensive:

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/interval-performance-crosstrainer-black-white

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/interval-performance-crosstrainer-white

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/chill-pill-mid-af-training-shoe-army-gum

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/pace-af-training-shoe-phantom-white

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/pace-af-training-shoe-phantom-black

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/chill-pill-mid-af-training-shoe-black-red

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/chill-pill-af-training-shoe-black-ripstop

https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/shop-all-footwear/products/chill-pill-transit-af-training-shoe-army

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2023, 06:17:04 PM »
While not the widest (and certainly not a forum fav) - the new Nike Nigel 3 is deceptively wide...as someone who needs a wide, upper metatarsal area, these are extremely well fitting/light/and cushy, yet pointy-flicky in the toe area/tip of the shoe; much wider than the 1 or 2 and the ventilation is pretty crazy.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 04:45:18 PM by Xen »

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2023, 01:36:10 PM »
Out of all the current shoe models I have tried the Emerica KSL G6s have the widest toe box.

Many skate shoes IME are narrow in the toe box or designed on a narrow, low volume last. I have not tried every shoe under the sun. I would not wear those "barefoot"/minimalist type shoes personally for any reason. FWIW podiatrists and knee docs see a lot of injuries from those shoes. My everyday sneakers are Hoka Gaviotas.

Full list of skate shoes I have tried recently. Only the first two worked for me. The Vans MC96 had a fairly wide toebox and good volume, but there were other aspects of the fit that I didn't like. YMMV.

Vans: BMX 114

Emerica: KSL G6

Nike: Ishod, Cortez, Dunks, Force 58, Blazers

NB: 440, 1010, 808

DC: Metric

Emerica: Pillar

'eS: Stylus Mid

Adidas: Tyshawn Mid

Vans: MC 96

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2023, 04:48:17 PM »
Out of all the current shoe models I have tried the Emerica KSL G6s have the widest toe box.

Many skate shoes IME are narrow in the toe box or designed on a narrow, low volume last. I have not tried every shoe under the sun. I would not wear those "barefoot"/minimalist type shoes personally for any reason. FWIW podiatrists and knee docs see a lot of injuries from those shoes. My everyday sneakers are Hoka Gaviotas.

Full list of skate shoes I have tried recently. Only the first two worked for me. The Vans MC96 had a fairly wide toebox and good volume, but there were other aspects of the fit that I didn't like. YMMV.

Vans: BMX 114

Emerica: KSL G6

Nike: Ishod, Cortez, Dunks, Force 58, Blazers

NB: 440, 1010, 808

DC: Metric

Emerica: Pillar

'eS: Stylus Mid

Adidas: Tyshawn Mid

Vans: MC 96

Out of that list, what's worked for me:

KSL G6
Tyshawn Mids (up half size)
Force 58
Blazer (GTs) but I need to lace them loose...laces are short kept coming undone, haven't bothered to swap laces.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 162
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2023, 04:54:23 PM »
Just wanna chime in because I had wide shoe madness forever- the KSL fits like a glove, it doesnt even seem like it would be wide enough for my weird ass foot, but once its on, it not only feels perfect, I really think they look good!  Get compliments on them constantly

I also like the Omen Hi, but its a vulc so definitely protects less and the sole isnt as durable.

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2023, 06:04:41 PM »

Force 58
Blazer (GTs) but I need to lace them loose...laces are short kept coming undone, haven't bothered to swap laces.

Blazers in my size were difficult to even get on the foot and felt terrible. Just way too narrow for me. Even half a size up did not work.

Force 58s half a size up barely fit but easier to get on. Almost zero room in toe length (a very tiny amount) and felt like wearing shoes made of plastic and soles made of rocks. Just not comfortable at all for me. I wanted to like them and assume they get better with break in. Just couldn't take the risk as they'd likely end up as another pair of shoes for the donation pile.