Author Topic: aboslute WIDEST toe box skate shoes?  (Read 43294 times)

icetheknees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: aboslute WIDEST toe box skate shoes?
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »
I'm pretty into the wide toe box / barefoot shoe thing and the New Balance 272 has been the best skate shoe for that vibe for me. The toe box is nice and wide and the arch support minimal. The heel is slightly raised, but these are only skate shoes that leave my feet feeling normal after a session. I think they're also slightly longer than some of the other numeric models so that might be part of it. They have plenty of protection too. I've landed primo a number of times and have gotten away with it every time.

Here's a pic of the other NBs I've tried and a few shoes popular in the wide toe box world. I'm a size 12 so here's a summary of how the others felt compared to the 272s.

255 - Started here. These felt pretty nice but something about how they placed the laces leads to me ripping one basically every session.

440 - Grabbed these next. Super bummed these didn't work out because these seems to always get great colorways. They're more squared off so my middle toes are a little more snug than I'd like, but that might work for your foot shape. The killer for me was the built in arch support. It's high. I'm used to minimalist shoes so after even a half hour in these my soles feel like they lost a fight.

306L - I was excited to try these after burning through laces in 255s. They were great for a while but the elastic on my flick foot gave out and now it's pretty floppy. They are a little narrower than the 272s.

I really appreciate the variety of sizes and shapes New Balance offers. It can make finding your fit an expensive hassle, especially when they don't even have a dealer locator for their Numeric line on their website, but it's nice that they seem to offer something for everyone.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »
I'm pretty into the wide toe box / barefoot shoe thing and the New Balance 272 has been the best skate shoe for that vibe for me. The toe box is nice and wide and the arch support minimal. The heel is slightly raised, but these are only skate shoes that leave my feet feeling normal after a session. I think they're also slightly longer than some of the other numeric models so that might be part of it. They have plenty of protection too. I've landed primo a number of times and have gotten away with it every time.

Here's a pic of the other NBs I've tried and a few shoes popular in the wide toe box world. I'm a size 12 so here's a summary of how the others felt compared to the 272s.

255 - Started here. These felt pretty nice but something about how they placed the laces leads to me ripping one basically every session.

440 - Grabbed these next. Super bummed these didn't work out because these seems to always get great colorways. They're more squared off so my middle toes are a little more snug than I'd like, but that might work for your foot shape. The killer for me was the built in arch support. It's high. I'm used to minimalist shoes so after even a half hour in these my soles feel like they lost a fight.

306L - I was excited to try these after burning through laces in 255s. They were great for a while but the elastic on my flick foot gave out and now it's pretty floppy. They are a little narrower than the 272s.

I really appreciate the variety of sizes and shapes New Balance offers. It can make finding your fit an expensive hassle, especially when they don't even have a dealer locator for their Numeric line on their website, but it's nice that they seem to offer something for everyone.

The 255s were the best fit for me, 1/2 size up, but after a few weeks, the ball of my foot always hurt, and immediately after putting them on and just walking...

272s in my size (10) felt too long, but great width-wise.
Foys, in a 10 were snug, 10.5, swimming and heel slip....
10 in the 1010 tiago too big (heel slip for days), 9.5 too small (the leather ones, I felt cramped height-wise in the toe box
Westgates, same thing as hte 1010s but much more narrow, as are all the 'square toed' NB#

I've pretty much sworn NB# off but I too, appreciate the amount of options they have, sadly I can't find one that works. I might try the 255s again.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Balance 272’s, my friend. Most of the shoes in recent memory that I have skated hurt my toes (ordered in no particular order: Vans Chima 2, DC Tiago(these ones killed my toes BAD even after they were broken in), Vans Style 112, Kyle Walker 1’s (So bad that I didn’t even finish skating the life out of the shoe yet because they’re so unenjoyable)). The Chima 2s are still my favorite skate shoe even though they kill my toes and it becomes more noticeable as the session goes by

The only ones that didn’t hurt my toes too bad were the Rowan’s, One Star Pros, and Louie Lopez Lows.

But the New Balance 272’s are roomier and more enjoyable to skate than all of them simply because I don’t have to worry about something I should even be worried about (toe pain) when I’m skating. Theres room in the toes, forefoot isn’t tight, and they lock in your heel nicely. Highly recommend. Will pick up another pair.
[close]

The 255s have been perfect for me, zero complaints (they are a no frills shoe, buyer beware). I've picked up some 272s to have on ice and can only assume the 306 (Foy) would fit similarly given the shape of the toe box. The 10.5 vulc from NB# is a perfect fit...

The only bummer is I'd prefer a cupsole that fits as well (and the NB sizing in cup doesn't fit my foot).
[close]

Has anyone tried the és silo sc or the quatro? They seem like they are wider cupsole shoes.
[close]
Silo SC is roomier than the Quattro. The Quattro is a little more stubby/snug fit in the toe box compared to the Silo SC. Silo SC definitely has a more forgiving toe box and is wider, not as pointy, more toe height, etc. Personally, those two models run small (just like the Marana and Joslin), so go up 0.5 from your regular siz for a better fit.
[close]
Thank you! I think I will try the Silo Sc next.

I just bought the tyshawn mids. They are not that wide, but I think I can make it work. I would compare the fit to a Marana mid.
Other than that they feel a bit tight in the toe box they are an amazing shoe. Very stable but not limiting ancle movement. A good balance between a thicker cupsole and good boardfeel. I bought them half a size up.

Damnit, I just bought some (arriving today) in hopes they were wide enough as the 3ST.003 was the last pair of Adidas I owned and they were fine once they broke in (tho I wasn't impressed with the grip).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2022, 05:05:45 PM »
Tyshawns landed, width-wise I could make them work but if I take a step or 'walk out' as if I was bailing, my toes jam right to the front, there's no room up there...

Do y'all just buy half sizes up and deal with the clown shoe feel?

fakie varial flip

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2022, 05:25:29 PM »
Tyshawns landed, width-wise I could make them work but if I take a step or 'walk out' as if I was bailing, my toes jam right to the front, there's no room up there...

I fucking hated this shoe. It has a great flick but I got a grade 3 sprain in it on a simple flatground varial heel which cost me almost 5 months of skating. I'm still skating vans and nb212s with flat footprint insoles, wishing for a bearable cupsole.

I did try the new balance 440 high and was surprised to find it is far wider feeling than the 440 low. Like icetheknees said, couldnt stand the arch support though, even with replacing the insole.

I don't buy half sizes up because it drags against the previously injured ligament and makes it feel terrible, so I just stick with lightweight vulcs for now so theyre mushy and flexible

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2022, 05:44:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I fucking hated this shoe. It has a great flick but I got a grade 3 sprain in it on a simple flatground varial heel which cost me almost 5 months of skating. I'm still skating vans and nb212s with flat footprint insoles, wishing for a bearable cupsole.

I did try the new balance 440 high and was surprised to find it is far wider feeling than the 440 low. Like icetheknees said, couldnt stand the arch support though, even with replacing the insole.

I don't buy half sizes up because it drags against the previously injured ligament and makes it feel terrible, so I just stick with lightweight vulcs for now so theyre mushy and flexible

My knees prefer cups, that's the issue I'm having, vulcs with footprints are passable but I can't think of doing anything consisting of impact (not that I'm hucking these days).

fakie varial flip

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2022, 06:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My knees prefer cups, that's the issue I'm having, vulcs with footprints are passable but I can't think of doing anything consisting of impact (not that I'm hucking these days).

Oh I get that. I would never skate another shoe if they would make the ave pro with some toe room... I still think about trying tiagos at least once a week haha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2022, 06:26:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh I get that. I would never skate another shoe if they would make the ave pro with some toe room... I still think about trying tiagos at least once a week haha

The AVEs were decent enough, I didn't like the way they pinched across the toebox, the materials were weird too, especially after they got all sweaty.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2022, 03:25:55 AM »

I did the same thing on a fakie varial heel in a pair of red Tyshawns, i've had two pairs since but won't be skating red ones again lol.

Surprised to see Tyshawns in this thread... they're narrow AF, which i love as i've got skinny feet so finding shoes i don't slide side-to-side in is pretty tough.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2022, 03:32:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did the same thing on a fakie varial heel in a pair of red Tyshawns, i've had two pairs since but won't be skating red ones again lol.

Surprised to see Tyshawns in this thread... they're narrow AF, which i love as i've got skinny feet so finding shoes i don't slide side-to-side in is pretty tough.
There are people that say they have wide feet, then next they recommend Blazers

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »
The tyshawns skate well for me and have a great sole, I recommend lacing them all the way up it makes a huge difference.

the midfoot is narrow but the arch is nice

my issue is the toe box is just slightly too short so my big toe can bump the front and slightly too rounded on the side of big toe, I want to try a half size up but then I fear my ankle might be slipping which they dont slip much at all for a soft mid

no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

fakie varial flip

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2022, 12:54:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
There are people that say they have wide feet, then next they recommend Blazers

Both that (some people will say they have wide feet and they absolutely do not) and people mistaking needing mid-foot width for needing width in the toe box make finding skate shoes incredibly hard on the internet...

It feels like skate shoes have gotten much tighter since I was young, but then I really think about it and realize I had to skate classic half-cabs and classic old skools for most of my teens because shit like Lakai was impossible to even get my foot in. I can't stand the abuse my last two toes go through (causing too many nerve issues) in most skate shoes anymore so I am again stuck with just vans (after they break in, which is an awful process) or new balance vulcs. I agree that the tyshawns were torture chambers for my big feet which I imagine greatly contributed to the bad sprain, since I couldn't flex my forefoot to control my fall. It's a bummer because they look cool

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2022, 02:08:55 PM »

Tried a bunch of shit on today, including the Nygel2.0, it it surprisingly OK, lame colorway imo (RWB).

So, I tried the 306s, same result as before, then decided to try on the 440...10 too big, 9.5...we have a winner!

Wide enough to start and not feel pinchy, they'll surely bag out a bit and just right for toe length; to me, the shape is a hybrid between the 255 round/width and the tips are bit more squared off, like tiago (not like the westgates).

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 11:35:27 AM by Xen »

fakie varial flip

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2022, 02:43:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tried a bunch of shit on today, including the Nygel2.0, it it surprisingly OK, lame colorway imo (RWB).

So, I tried the 306s, same result as before, then decided to try on the 44...10 too big, 9.5...we have a winner!

Wide enough to start and not feel pinchy, they'll surely bag out a bit an just right for toe length; to me, the shape is a hybrid between the 255 round/width and th tips are  bit more squared off, like tiago (not like the westgates).

Awesome - how do you like the toebox in comparison to the 1010s? Ive tried these before but never the 1010s, so i'm wondering if one or the other is wider, especially at the ball of the foot and across the pinky toe.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2022, 03:23:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

So, I tried the 306s, same result as before, then decided to try on the 44...10 too big, 9.5...we have a winner!

Wide enough to start and not feel pinchy, they'll surely bag out a bit an just right for toe length; to me, the shape is a hybrid between the 255 round/width and th tips are  bit more squared off, like tiago (not like the westgates).

[close]

Awesome - how do you like the toebox in comparison to the 1010s? Ive tried these before but never the 1010s, so i'm wondering if one or the other is wider, especially at the ball of the foot and across the pinky toe.

I was hesitant since they are both leather, and specifically that little 'extra' bit of design leather on the 1010 toe cap that covers the big toe, it just made it impossible to flex upward and limited any wiggle room to adjust your toes + there is way more vertical toe room compared to the 1010 on the 440.

These feel wider than the 1010s to me (at least apples to apples of the 9.5 which I had in the 1010).

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2022, 12:33:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You know the *only* shoe tech that ever stopped the side-to-side slide for me was that Adiprene insole in the Suciu ADV/Superstar ADV Vulc due to it having a ball and socket for your foot type shape - rounded up at the edges, and the texture being non-slip. Good arch shape too.

Don’t know why others haven’t tried, or tried to improve on the concept because I can’t be the only person, slip on my flick side would always end up bagging out the flick area till it became unskateable/unsafe feeling way soon in the wear of the shoe overall.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2022, 04:19:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was hesitant since they are both leather, and specifically that little 'extra' bit of design leather on the 1010 toe cap that covers the big toe, it just made it impossible to flex upward and limited any wiggle room to adjust your toes + there is way more vertical toe room compared to the 1010 on the 440.

These feel wider than the 1010s to me (at least apples to apples of the 9.5 which I had in the 1010).

Yeah, you convinced me to try the 440s again now. The comparison is very helpful, so thanks for that!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2022, 11:43:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, you convinced me to try the 440s again now. The comparison is very helpful, so thanks for that!

I've yet to skate them (will today); but so far, wearing them non-stop around the house since I got them they are getting fatter and fatter (threw in FP insoles and wearing the fattest socks I have to speed the process up); These are much wider than the Rowans and the Force 58s I skated before these. So much so I'm actually wondering if they are going to end up too wide after they are totally mushed out =D

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2022, 01:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So, I tried the 306s, same result as before, then decided to try on the 440...10 too big, 9.5...we have a winner!

Wide enough to start and not feel pinchy, they'll surely bag out a bit and just right for toe length; to me, the shape is a hybrid between the 255 round/width and the tips are bit more squared off, like tiago (not like the westgates).

Something felt off about these when i tried them, rolled my ankle first session and just gave them away. Glad they work for you tho, and that's the best colourway I've seen, they look great.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2022, 03:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've yet to skate them (will today); but so far, wearing them non-stop around the house since I got them they are getting fatter and fatter (threw in FP insoles and wearing the fattest socks I have to speed the process up); These are much wider than the Rowans and the Force 58s I skated before these. So much so I'm actually wondering if they are going to end up too wide after they are totally mushed out =D

The only thing stopping me from buying the highs this last time I tried them on was thinking "god I don't want to try to break in shoes with a toe cap" so it's exciting to hear they break in nicely. Definitely gonna grab a pair, my feet could use a break from vulcs

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2022, 11:55:25 PM »
Had to put the stock insoles in as I was getting a little heel slip due to my foot being so high off the bed of the shoe in the heel area. Might have to snag some of those 3mm footprints as the ortholites in the NB are straight up generic flat insoles.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »
Xen, those reeboks (I think?) are sick. Kind of bummed I grabbed lems for deadlifting instead of those. Wish we could get a skate shoe in that shape with more cushion.

Update on the Globe Mahalo Plus - surprisingly not bad. Pretty sturdy underneath for a vulc, but also nice and flexible for pretty 360 flips and transition. The vulc sides don't compress my toes anywhere near as bad as many other shoes, though I think the Rowans are still wider at the pinky toe.

@fakie varial flip

They're on sale over at Reebok:
https://www.reebok.com/us/reebok-power-lite-mid-men's-training-shoes/G55580.html

A ref link if it works:
https://refer.reebok.com/TIM06838397

fakie varial flip

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2022, 03:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Xen, those reeboks (I think?) are sick. Kind of bummed I grabbed lems for deadlifting instead of those. Wish we could get a skate shoe in that shape with more cushion.

Update on the Globe Mahalo Plus - surprisingly not bad. Pretty sturdy underneath for a vulc, but also nice and flexible for pretty 360 flips and transition. The vulc sides don't compress my toes anywhere near as bad as many other shoes, though I think the Rowans are still wider at the pinky toe.
[close]

@fakie varial flip

https://www.reebok.com/us/reebok-power-lite-mid-men's-training-shoes/G55580.html

A ref link if it works:

YES

How are those 440s working out? I'm dangerously close to buying them.

I've put those 3mm flat insoles in some emericas before and was pretty satisfied with their performance. I still have them in a pair of work boots ha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2022, 04:25:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

@fakie varial flip

A ref link if it works:
[close]

YES

How are those 440s working out? I'm dangerously close to buying them.

I've put those 3mm flat insoles in some emericas before and was pretty satisfied with their performance. I still have them in a pair of work boots ha

BTW that refferal code is %20 off, might or might not stack.

Really liking the 440s. Don't think I need to switch to another shoe, unless they make a 440 mid.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2022, 11:59:47 AM »
Agreed that Adidas are way too pointy.  To me this thread is more skate shoes that are closest to resembling barefoot/minimalist shape.  I had my first session in the NB# 272.  It has a pretty wide toebox, same shape as the 288S.  The nice thing about that shape is it doesn't push the big toes in much.  The 272 has a bit of a heel lift, but I combatted that by combining a thicker insole in the front, thinner in the back (taped together).  I currently like it more than the 212 since I need a bit thicker sole than what the 212 has.

This shit pisses me off. I LOVE lifestyle Adidas. I have a couple pairs of Kaptirs that fit like a fucking dream, nice and wide.

Then they go and make all of their skate shoes narrow as fuck.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2022, 11:51:59 PM »
The tyshawns skate well for me and have a great sole, I recommend lacing them all the way up it makes a huge difference.

the midfoot is narrow but the arch is nice

my issue is the toe box is just slightly too short so my big toe can bump the front and slightly too rounded on the side of big toe, I want to try a half size up but then I fear my ankle might be slipping which they dont slip much at all for a soft mid

I am skating them right now. They felt alright when I tried them on. They were a bit tight on  my toes, but they felt great otherwise. I thought that they would be perfect once broken in. They did not get much wider even after skating them for a good month. While this shows the quality of the shoe it does not really help my toes which will hurt after a longer session...

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2022, 07:25:02 AM »
I can vouch that the Tyshawn Lows are great for my insanely wide feet, but the mids are pointy and cramped like everyone else is saying. So if you really wanna make the Tyshawns work, the lows are worth seeking out.

Breaking in two pairs of Fastbreaks right now and are so suprised by how nice they fit, almost every shoe I buy feels painfully cramped until I mush them out after a week of wear, but the Fastbreaks feel wide enough straight out the box.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2022, 11:00:42 AM »
How wide are the dc Manteca or the emerica gamma G6? Has anyone ever tried them on? The look wide on photos.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2022, 04:05:44 AM »
Any new prospects on the wide shoe market? Experiencing some foot problems lately so would be interested if anyone has some new findings

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2022, 07:56:49 AM »
Fallen Patriots and Etnies Barge LS I've gotten recently are both very comfortable in the toebox, and I'm pretty particular about that shit.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2022, 09:09:42 AM »
Got some KSL's and they feel plenty roomy.  Haven't had a chance to skate em yet, as I'm finishing off a pair of 440's that just hug my whole foot entirely too much.