Author Topic: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes  (Read 64237 times)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
Re: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2020, 12:42:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Real crazy question. Anyone skate half cab pros lately? Do they flick funny?
[close]
Yep and no.
[close]
thanks for that!

Recently skated in a pair and they flicked well. How I expected them to for Van's Pro vulcs.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2020, 08:02:42 AM »
Etnies Veer anyone? 

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
Etnies Veer anyone?

I have and probably 15-16 hours clocked in on my pair (Black/Gum) so far. It's a good shoe and feels like a slightly slimmer and slightly less cushioned Marana without the rubber toe. The toe vamp feels longer than the Marana/Joslin, so that messed with my mind and flick at first, but it went away and felt great once I broke them in.

Flick feels great, but the rubber was wearing away kind of quick on the outsole from kickflip tricks, in my opinion.
Suede seems pretty good. Haven't broken through anywhere yet. However, I have popped stitching in a couple spots in the toe box/ollie area, but there's suede underneath, so I'm not worried.
Insole is average at best and should be replaced with one of your choice to make these even more comfortable. I threw a pair of State insoles in mine.
Fit is slightly narrow, so order 0.5 size up just like the Marana/Joslins. Unless you have slim, narrow feet, then you might be able to get away with TTS. Double insole on the 0.5 size up may work if they're too large for you if you 0.5 size up. I've done that before and it works in some shoes.
The cupsole is pretty flexible, much more so than the Marana/Joslin 1&2 right away. You may like that or you may not. Surprisingly, it was a positive for me, since I usually like the slightly stiffer sole for support and durability.

Overall, it's a good mid range (price and construction) cupsole shoe that is not too padded but not too thin and is easy to skate a lil bit of everything in. Will post photos of mine soon so you can see wear, in case you're interested.

EDIT: PHOTOS @ ~16 hours of skating in the Veer Black/Gum:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:52:43 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »
joslin 2 anyone? Do they last as long as the maranas? That lil suede piece on the toe just looks like its begging to fall off from kickflips

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
joslin 2 anyone? Do they last as long as the maranas? That lil suede piece on the toe just looks like its begging to fall off from kickflips
I have them and they feel good. Just walked around in them, though and haven’t skated them yet. They look to be durable, though.

There are three layers in the toe: suede toe panel, leather/suede (depending on the color way) underneath (meets the sole like on a dunk), and a rubber layer under the leather. If they skate anything like the Joslin 1 or the Marana, they will be durable, even if the suede toe panel comes off easy.
Super Champion Fun Zone

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2020, 12:34:31 AM »
did anyone ever try ANMLY? considering the tempest since the black is on sale and also i’m insane
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2020, 01:50:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Etnies Veer anyone?
[close]

I have and probably 15-16 hours clocked in on my pair (Black/Gum) so far. It's a good shoe and feels like a slightly slimmer and slightly less cushioned Marana without the rubber toe. The toe vamp feels longer than the Marana/Joslin, so that messed with my mind and flick at first, but it went away and felt great once I broke them in.

Flick feels great, but the rubber was wearing away kind of quick on the outsole from kickflip tricks, in my opinion.
Suede seems pretty good. Haven't broken through anywhere yet. However, I have popped stitching in a couple spots in the toe box/ollie area, but there's suede underneath, so I'm not worried.
Insole is average at best and should be replaced with one of your choice to make these even more comfortable. I threw a pair of State insoles in mine.
Fit is slightly narrow, so order 0.5 size up just like the Marana/Joslins. Unless you have slim, narrow feet, then you might be able to get away with TTS. Double insole on the 0.5 size up may work if they're too large for you if you 0.5 size up. I've done that before and it works in some shoes.
The cupsole is pretty flexible, much more so than the Marana/Joslin 1&2 right away. You may like that or you may not. Surprisingly, it was a positive for me, since I usually like the slightly stiffer sole for support and durability.

Overall, it's a good mid range (price and construction) cupsole shoe that is not too padded but not too thin and is easy to skate a lil bit of everything in. Will post photos of mine soon so you can see wear, in case you're interested.

Appreciate the in-depth run down. I've never skated Etnies before but the Marana has great reviews, definitely when it comes to durability, so i've been tempted to try a pair out. The Veer is closer to what i'm looking for though. I really want a thin, but not super thin cupsole. Was having a look at Supra Elevates too but these are a bit thicker. Will likely end up getting a pair. Thanks

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2020, 07:16:59 AM »
I bought some Adidas 3st.004 on sale today.
Skated them for 2 hours (sportswatch) and already got olliehole. What a joke...
How hard can it be to put that rubbermaterial stuff they put in the toe, in the ollie area? Or use thicker suede.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »
How hard can it be to put that rubbermaterial stuff they put in the toe, in the ollie area? Or use thicker suede.
Damn, how? Most of my friends have skated those well over month atleast. I'm afraid to skate mine now lol.

Vintagebody

« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2020, 08:45:29 AM »
How? I got a new deck with unfamiliar shape, so I did alot of basics grinds, manuals etc.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2020, 09:11:19 AM »
Anybody skated the Americana?

I really liked the Americana. Durable and I feel like my luck flips was better with them. But maybe it’s just in my head. I have a fat foot and they did pinch and rub my right (back foot) in the beginning and it hurt but after break in they was great.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn, how? Most of my friends have skated those well over month atleast. I'm afraid to skate mine now lol.
on my 10th session with them today and I don't have much visible wear, black suede pair still holding up strong and look good. mostly skating flatground and no holes in sight
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Vintagebody

« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2020, 11:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
on my 10th session with them today and I don't have much visible wear, black suede pair still holding up strong and look good. mostly skating flatground and no holes in sight

10th session and not much visible wear? Either Adidas has a huge product quality variety, or you are a beginner

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2020, 11:29:58 AM »

that's why you go 3st.003 instead, it's got the ollie pad.

Also pick the 3st.004's with pig suede, they'll last longer

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2020, 11:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Etnies Veer anyone?
[close]

[close]

Appreciate the in-depth run down. I've never skated Etnies before but the Marana has great reviews, definitely when it comes to durability, so i've been tempted to try a pair out. The Veer is closer to what i'm looking for though. I really want a thin, but not super thin cupsole. Was having a look at Supra Elevates too but these are a bit thicker. Will likely end up getting a pair. Thanks

I've skated both the Veer and the Marana, here's a small breakdown comparing the two
-Veer breaks in first hour or so/Marana breaks in after a few days
-Veer is more flexible/Marana is stiffer
-Veer lasts me close to a month (average shoe lifespan for me)/Marana will last me 2-2.5 months
-Veer has a extra layer of suede/Marana has a rubber-like toecap that lasts longer
-Both have a michelin outsole that has good grip

TLDR - Veer breaks in quick and skates better than the Marana imo, but the Marana lasts longer as it's a tank of a shoe

I'm pretty picky when it comes to cupsole shoes, especially because i prefer slim cupsoles, but i really liked the Veer and skated two pairs. I wouldn't mind skating a third and fourth pair tbh

sgm06sti

• Rep: 2
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »
I have some Etnies kingpins on order are they good ? Thanks !

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

10th session and not much visible wear? Either Adidas has a huge product quality variety, or you are a beginner
or you got a bunk pair
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »
@ Sila, you're welcome for the rundown! I've been meaning to share my thoughts on the shoe since I've seen a number of people ask but not get any answers since these came out last year.

Sus summed it up well. I share most of the same thoughts, except I think the Marana skates better, but only because I like a stiffer shoe for longevity.

If you haven't tried Etnies, specifically the Marana, Joslin, or Veer, I definitely recommend any of them that fits your shoe silhouette take. In this case, the Veer may be a good option. I was also tempted by those Elevates but never tried em.
Super Champion Fun Zone

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2020, 11:31:34 PM »
Has anyone skated the new versions of the Superstars? How's the impact protection and support?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2020, 01:55:30 AM »
Has anyone skated the new versions of the Superstars? How's the impact protection and support?

Ben Degros had pretty good video about them.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Ben Degros had pretty good video about them.

I watched it, but he didn't really go over the impact protection and support, just really more of the boardfeel and durability.

Although since the boardfeel was shit, I could probably assume the protection is godly lol

Ryantology

• Rep: 1
  • thingsgetweird.
    • thingsgetweird avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2020, 09:41:34 AM »
How about the cons Jack Purcell mid? Wondering if they fit tts

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2020, 10:45:42 AM »
whos skated the adidas rivalry? low or high, either is fine

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2020, 01:01:01 PM »

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
Thinking about getting some Es Evants, any experiences with them?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
did anyone ever try ANMLY? considering the tempest since the black is on sale and also i’m insane

I can't speak for The Tempest although I do want a pair just to rock. Something differtent.

I got the ANMLY rift low top, basic black and gum.
Its a solidly built skate shoe. Good flex. Took a little longer to break in than I expected. Really durable. The te is all one piece. the stitching on the side is all cosmetic so it's not a fall apart shoe. You know where panels and shit start flapping off. It has a hidden toe cap, That's a little hard for my taste, feels similar to the Westgate g6. The rubber sole also has a lip the kind of works like a to cap, that took a while the wear down. The grip was fine. The board feel was fine. I've had better and I've had worse.

I did stop skating them because They ran big. While they do warn that they run big, I figured my wide feet would cancel it out, since I've been having issues with shoes being too narrow.

Goldeneggs

• Rep: -53
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2020, 10:56:57 PM »
Thinking about getting some Es Evants, any experiences with them?

They are an insult to the koston 3s

Glurmpz

« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2020, 11:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Etnies Veer anyone?
[close]

Interesting. I'm a cupsole guy, and I got the all brown Veer, but they're so thick that I had to literally sand down the sole to get some board feel, and it still wasn't enough. I love them, but not enough board feel for me unfortunately. For comparison, I've been skating Sal 97's, Supra Ellingtons, Es Swifts, and Accel slims with an extra thick insole. I got the Veer cause I like how they look and my pops worked for Michelin his whole life. Technically, the colorway I got is a BMXer model - I wonder if it's stiffer or something? I almost feel like I tried on those black ones and they were more flexible. These ones are hard as rock.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2020, 01:31:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Etnies Veer anyone?
[close]

[close]

Interesting. I'm a cupsole guy, and I got the all brown Veer, but they're so thick that I had to literally sand down the sole to get some board feel, and it still wasn't enough. I love them, but not enough board feel for me unfortunately. For comparison, I've been skating Sal 97's, Supra Ellingtons, Es Swifts, and Accel slims with an extra thick insole. I got the Veer cause I like how they look and my pops worked for Michelin his whole life. Technically, the colorway I got is a BMXer model - I wonder if it's stiffer or something? I almost feel like I tried on those black ones and they were more flexible. These ones are hard as rock.

I remember trying on etnies bmx shoes like 10 yrs ago and they had a thin little metal plate running heel to toe, maybe they still do

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2020, 01:46:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Etnies Veer anyone?
[close]

[close]

[close]

I remember trying on etnies bmx shoes like 10 yrs ago and they had a thin little metal plate running heel to toe, maybe they still do
Not sure if etnies mentions it on their BMX models on their site or any shop that sells them but I've seen them mention on IG when advertising a shoe (Marana Crank for example) that there is a shaft or crank (some tech term) in the midsole for enhanced pedal feel and protection. I think that brown Veer night have something similar in it since it's a BMX model but I can't verify. If you try any other color of the Veer they will feel much more flexible but still sturdy like etnies cupsoles tend to be. I promise you, so they're worth a try if you can get a different colorway! 👍🏻👍🏻
All those shoes are comparable to the Veer, so you should like the  board feel and protection in the Veer. Hope we helped!
Super Champion Fun Zone