Author Topic: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes  (Read 64254 times)

choke mayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
Re: The "Has anyone skated these?" Thread - Shoes
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2020, 11:24:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone skate the gts return?
[close]

yah they're pretty good.  at first they feel super tight and narrow but they stretch out so normal size is chill.  they kinda have a similar flick as a janoski but without being as long in the toe.  for a cupsole theyre thin and the heel sits at a normal height--pretty durable too

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »
I just found the dc penza's for 35 online. Hope they fit right but the store has free returns during covid so I guess i don't have much too worry about. I saw johnes has a youtube review of them. I like how chunky the sidewall is in the flick area, hopefully it functions well. I wear down my dunk sidewalls so fast and they just simply perform better when they are newer and stick out further. I will report back once I skate em.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2020, 04:25:41 AM »
I just found the dc penza's for 35 online. Hope they fit right but the store has free returns during covid so I guess i don't have much too worry about. I saw johnes has a youtube review of them. I like how chunky the sidewall is in the flick area, hopefully it functions well. I wear down my dunk sidewalls so fast and they just simply perform better when they are newer and stick out further. I will report back once I skate em.

Keen to hear your review. There's been cheap pairs available here in Australia since the start of the year but I have a bunch of shoes to get through so still havn't got a pair. I really like the silhouette, not too puff but not super skinny.

Freger

• Rep: -8
  • Can I borrow your tool?
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »
Anyone tried skating fake Jordans? Really curious if they would skate good

https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/1600061048019.html

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2020, 04:26:23 PM »
Converse checkpoints anyone? Whats the board feel like? Only Cons I've skated are older KA II which I loved and had really good board feel for a cupsole as well as a pointy toe that makes for a unique but enjoyable flick. Also what's the difference between the checkpoint and breakpoint?

Starting to get through the suede on my Lakai Manchesters and I'll need a replacement soon. Manchesters were great, first Lakai I've skated and they really impressed me. The insole is super comfortable and offered good protection without being bulky, the tongue was perfect, sole has the perfect amount of grip, and they held up really well. Definitely highly recommend and I'll be skating more Lakai in the future for sure after this.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »
Expand Quote
joslin 2 anyone? Do they last as long as the maranas? That lil suede piece on the toe just looks like its begging to fall off from kickflips
[close]
I have them and they feel good. Just walked around in them, though and haven’t skated them yet. They look to be durable, though.

There are three layers in the toe: suede toe panel, leather/suede (depending on the color way) underneath (meets the sole like on a dunk), and a rubber layer under the leather. If they skate anything like the Joslin 1 or the Marana, they will be durable, even if the suede toe panel comes off easy.

i skated mine for maybe 4-5 sessions. The toe panel ripped within 2 days and the last layer ripped through so I can see the inside of the shoe already. Also the 'lace protectors' didn't work at all, my laces ripped in 3 spots simultaneously. The laces they came with are super short and don't reach up high where I like for that good heel lock. I felt like I couldn't get the same lock with the velcro strap. Kind of disappointing coming from the marana michellins.

They'd probably last longer if I was more preemptive about gluing the toe, but the fake lace protectors really bummed me out cause I hate changing laces, especially this early. They look sick though I got the all black with the gumsole, just didn't last like I expected, and are nice and cushiony like you'd expect.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2020, 10:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote
did anyone ever try ANMLY? considering the tempest since the black is on sale and also i’m insane
[close]

I can't speak for The Tempest although I do want a pair just to rock. Something differtent.

I got the ANMLY rift low top, basic black and gum.
Its a solidly built skate shoe. Good flex. Took a little longer to break in than I expected. Really durable. The te is all one piece. the stitching on the side is all cosmetic so it's not a fall apart shoe. You know where panels and shit start flapping off. It has a hidden toe cap, That's a little hard for my taste, feels similar to the Westgate g6. The rubber sole also has a lip the kind of works like a to cap, that took a while the wear down. The grip was fine. The board feel was fine. I've had better and I've had worse.

I did stop skating them because They ran big. While they do warn that they run big, I figured my wide feet would cancel it out, since I've been having issues with shoes being too narrow.

I bought some tempests directly from the anmly website for $50 shipped.  They were on sale because the color dye was slightly off.  When they arrived I could tell they weren’t pure black, but it was  close enough so it didn’t bother me.

I only skate cupsole midtops so I am coming off several pairs of Marana mids.  I use footprint insoles and shoe goo on the upper of every shoe I skate.  I wear a 10.5 marana and a 10.5 tempest fit me well.

On first inspection, the tempest had pretty good build quality.  I am not a huge fan of the gap in the ankle, but it didn’t bother me too much.  They have one of those neoprene liners.  I wasn’t sure what to think at first but I became a fan of the liner.  Easy to slide my foot in.  But there is some stitching on the ankle that wasn’t smooth.  I would imagine it could irritate some achilles tendons.

I walked around in them for a couple weeks to break them in, which is pretty standard for me.  They were pretty comfy right out of the box and broke in nice. When I started skating them they felt good.  Similar board feel to the maranas.  The lace loops did a decent job of keeping my laces in good shape but they did eventually rip.

I was kind of bummed to see the toe cap layer isn’t actually an extra layer of material.  The top portion of the upper ends at the stitch line, so I wonder why they even did that.  If it's not another layer just make the whole upper one piece instead of putting in stitching that just rips up.  But when it flopped over there is a decently durable layer underneath the suede.  I shoegoo’d the flap on to that other layer and it was good to go.

Maybe I have been spoiled by the Michelin soles on the marana.  Those do not give up.  But the soles on the tempest flatted pretty quick.  Still feels ok with some flat but definitely not as good as when they had tread.

A small touch I like is the rubbery-plasticy thing under the bottom lace hole.  That thing is quite durable and it is right where I often get a hole.  I would like to see it just a bit wider.

I do a lot of heel flips and the cuffs of my maranas always end up destroyed.  The tempest barely took damage from heel flips.

Overall, good shoe.  I would skate another pair but I wish the sole lasted longer.  Worth the 50 bucks but I’d rather go back to marana.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #217 on: July 03, 2020, 03:39:18 PM »
Anyone tried skating fake Jordans? Really curious if they would skate good

https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/1600061048019.html
tyshoes might have your answers
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #218 on: July 03, 2020, 03:46:37 PM »
Converse checkpoints anyone? Whats the board feel like? Only Cons I've skated are older KA II which I loved and had really good board feel for a cupsole as well as a pointy toe that makes for a unique but enjoyable flick. Also what's the difference between the checkpoint and breakpoint?

Starting to get through the suede on my Lakai Manchesters and I'll need a replacement soon. Manchesters were great, first Lakai I've skated and they really impressed me. The insole is super comfortable and offered good protection without being bulky, the tongue was perfect, sole has the perfect amount of grip, and they held up really well. Definitely highly recommend and I'll be skating more Lakai in the future for sure after this.

Huh, that's good to know! I read some bad reviews from good people here and they weren't too stoked on it. Maybe I'll try it out.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:51:19 PM by Adam Abbas »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2020, 02:46:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Huh, that's good to know! I read some bad reviews from good people here and they weren't too stoked on it. Maybe I'll try it out.
They'll have to clarify, but I think they're referring to the Manchester on the vulc sole, not the XLK cupsole. If it's the vulc, I've heard and seen nothing bad about them YET. If it's the cup, saw the same fairweather reviews of them. The only person who had actually expressed that they really liked them  was Ben Degros in one of his  videos a little while back.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2020, 06:29:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
They'll have to clarify, but I think they're referring to the Manchester on the vulc sole, not the XLK cupsole. If it's the vulc, I've heard and seen nothing bad about them YET. If it's the cup, saw the same fairweather reviews of them. The only person who had actually expressed that they really liked them  was Ben Degros in one of his  videos a little while back.

Can confirm. The materials they used for the Manchester vulcs I bought a couple of years ago were terrible. Blew a hole through them and they started to lose their shape very easily.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2020, 04:44:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Can confirm. The materials they used for the Manchester vulcs I bought a couple of years ago were terrible. Blew a hole through them and they started to lose their shape very easily.

The Manchester vulc that is available now is completely different from the Manchester vulc from a few years back. The new version uses much better materials.
How much for an order of ribs?

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2020, 05:50:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Keen to hear your review. There's been cheap pairs available here in Australia since the start of the year but I have a bunch of shoes to get through so still havn't got a pair. I really like the silhouette, not too puff but not super skinny.

They were too small. I’m going to send them back and see if they have a 1/2 size bigger. They looked like I would like them.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2020, 10:45:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

since they are on sale almost all the time on DC's Site i might try em out. they just look like a very classic "skate shoe" to me back when i started skating around 2001. Really great mix of puff/ not too much puff- i'd say a functional amount of padding all around if that makes sense.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2020, 06:33:33 AM »
Have anyone skated the Vans UA Sport?
They look sick, but I guess is not a skate shoe per say

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2020, 07:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Etnies Veer anyone?
[close]

I have and probably 15-16 hours clocked in on my pair (Black/Gum) so far. It's a good shoe and feels like a slightly slimmer and slightly less cushioned Marana without the rubber toe. The toe vamp feels longer than the Marana/Joslin, so that messed with my mind and flick at first, but it went away and felt great once I broke them in.

Flick feels great, but the rubber was wearing away kind of quick on the outsole from kickflip tricks, in my opinion.
Suede seems pretty good. Haven't broken through anywhere yet. However, I have popped stitching in a couple spots in the toe box/ollie area, but there's suede underneath, so I'm not worried.
Insole is average at best and should be replaced with one of your choice to make these even more comfortable. I threw a pair of State insoles in mine.
Fit is slightly narrow, so order 0.5 size up just like the Marana/Joslins. Unless you have slim, narrow feet, then you might be able to get away with TTS. Double insole on the 0.5 size up may work if they're too large for you if you 0.5 size up. I've done that before and it works in some shoes.
The cupsole is pretty flexible, much more so than the Marana/Joslin 1&2 right away. You may like that or you may not. Surprisingly, it was a positive for me, since I usually like the slightly stiffer sole for support and durability.

Overall, it's a good mid range (price and construction) cupsole shoe that is not too padded but not too thin and is easy to skate a lil bit of everything in. Will post photos of mine soon so you can see wear, in case you're interested.

EDIT: PHOTOS @ ~16 hours of skating in the Veer Black/Gum:

[close]

Interesting. I'm a cupsole guy, and I got the all brown Veer, but they're so thick that I had to literally sand down the sole to get some board feel, and it still wasn't enough. I love them, but not enough board feel for me unfortunately. For comparison, I've been skating Sal 97's, Supra Ellingtons, Es Swifts, and Accel slims with an extra thick insole. I got the Veer cause I like how they look and my pops worked for Michelin his whole life. Technically, the colorway I got is a BMXer model - I wonder if it's stiffer or something? I almost feel like I tried on those black ones and they were more flexible. These ones are hard as rock.
[close]

I remember trying on etnies bmx shoes like 10 yrs ago and they had a thin little metal plate running heel to toe, maybe they still do
[close]
Not sure if etnies mentions it on their BMX models on their site or any shop that sells them but I've seen them mention on IG when advertising a shoe (Marana Crank for example) that there is a shaft or crank (some tech term) in the midsole for enhanced pedal feel and protection. I think that brown Veer night have something similar in it since it's a BMX model but I can't verify. If you try any other color of the Veer they will feel much more flexible but still sturdy like etnies cupsoles tend to be. I promise you, so they're worth a try if you can get a different colorway! 👍🏻👍🏻
All those shoes are comparable to the Veer, so you should like the  board feel and protection in the Veer. Hope we helped!

I got that same Devon Smillie all brown colorway and it's still stiff as fuck after I've walked in them for over a week, so there must be something in the midsole. I'll skate them after I've destroyed my Lakai's but this'll be fun getting some boardfeel out of these lol

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2020, 09:50:40 PM »
Have anyone skated the Vans UA Sport?
They look sick, but I guess is not a skate shoe per say

Just came off of a month skating the suede Vans Sport. They’re really unforgiving even when walking around town, so I would definitely rip out the insoles and replace them with something more supportive. After scraping out almost every remaining scrap of blue foam from the footbed, my 6mm Kingfoam Orthotics made for a nice and snug fit. Once you’ve swapped out the insoles, they’re fantastic for skating. They really hug your feet and have a great flick. It’s also cool how few people you see wearing them. The soles wear down before anything else in my experience.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2020, 12:19:34 AM »
I personally don't like slip ons for skating but I'm interested in whoever tries the Veer Slip to see what they think of a cupsole slip.
Super Champion Fun Zone

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »
How do the newer models of Converse CONS perform? Mainly concerned about the CX insole since I haven't heard much about them (bring back Lunarlon).

How do they compare to Vans Popcush and Lakai?

inb4 "they're like zoom air but better"

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »
How do the newer models of Converse CONS perform? Mainly concerned about the CX insole since I haven't heard much about them (bring back Lunarlon).

Well, anything is better than zoom air.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2020, 02:52:34 AM »

just skated the cons hi pros and the insoles bottomed out after 5 days. like no support left, got a small heel bruise just doing an ollie over a bigger carton. no comparison to popcush which holds up much better or even a adidas lucas premiere (which is a cupsole, but a really thin one).

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
anyone skate the cons fastbreak?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2020, 05:02:44 PM »

SoftCarPrawn

« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »

I’ve had a few pairs, starting with the Al Davis shoe.  Pretty good shoe in my opinion.  Has a lot of feel under the ball of the foot but it’s a good bit thicker under the heel.  They took me a minute to break in for sure but the sole lasted a long time for me.  The only thing I can’t speak too much on is the durability of the upper because I skate more transition and don’t pop my board as much as most.  But if you’re willing to throw a little super glue on the stitching I’d bet it would last about as long as any other typical skate shoe.  Hope that helps dude!

Edit: they also look really rad and I was never bummed out looking down at my feet.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2020, 06:57:57 PM »
Did anyone get the nyjah 2s? I’m not a fan of nyjah or Nike but my old man bones are a fan of comfort/support and I can’t pull off bulkier shoes so they seem like a potential compromise.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:06 PM »
Did anyone get the nyjah 2s? I’m not a fan of nyjah or Nike but my old man bones are a fan of comfort/support and I can’t pull off bulkier shoes so they seem like a potential compromise.
I posted it on the Nike thread but, as a fan of the Nike Free one elected it to be like it. I went half a size up as a wider-ish foot and it still fit a little tight but I’m sure it stretches out over time. It’s breathable and is half as supportable as the original Free.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2020, 09:05:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve had a few pairs, starting with the Al Davis shoe.  Pretty good shoe in my opinion.  Has a lot of feel under the ball of the foot but it’s a good bit thicker under the heel.  They took me a minute to break in for sure but the sole lasted a long time for me.  The only thing I can’t speak too much on is the durability of the upper because I skate more transition and don’t pop my board as much as most.  But if you’re willing to throw a little super glue on the stitching I’d bet it would last about as long as any other typical skate shoe.  Hope that helps dude!

Edit: they also look really rad and I was never bummed out looking down at my feet.
good looks for the feedback. will keep on the list to try out unless someone says something deal breaking about them

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
Chima Pro 2's anyone?

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2020, 03:59:16 PM »
Chima Pro 2's anyone?

The Chima 1's are vastly superior to the Chima 2's unfortunately.

Pinches the top of your foot (right before the toes / where the tongue meets the rest of the shoe)

The plastic shank in the insole is... "interesting", so much so that i got rid of it & put in a Ultracush from an old pair of KWalks that I had

Rubber toe cap was cool though.

I'm back to skating Chima 1's almost exclusively
( I do swap out the Ultracush lite insole for the thicker Ultracush insole... makes the feet happier )

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.