Author Topic: Investing?  (Read 17116 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
Re: Investing?
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2021, 05:28:04 AM »
What app do you use or recommend for WSB type trading?  I don’t think it’s wise for me to jump into that game yet, but man hearing stories like your neighbour’s makes me want to.  I wish I had my debt down/savings up more before getting into this stuff, the FOMO is real ha.

I initially used Wealthsimple to buy my first $50 worth of BTC, but then I wanted to buy another $50 and decided waiting 5 days for deposits is ridiculous so I pulled out.  Downloaded Newton because I read good things, but it’s down now due high activity, which is unacceptable when you want to buy on a dip.  Just got Shakepay and was able to deposit/buy within minutes.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2021, 05:40:38 AM »
index funds.

you are not smarter than dudes who do this shit for a living. if you wanna try and win off dumb luck go right ahead but the economy is propped up by marks doing that exact same thing. i used robinhood for 6 m/o to cash in on the pandemic and then couldn’t sleep at night and cashed out and deleted it.

don’t listen to me tho i don’t have a winners mentality nor do i have generational wealth to fall back on. comme si comme sa

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2021, 06:35:41 AM »
What app do you use or recommend for WSB type trading?  I don’t think it’s wise for me to jump into that game yet, but man hearing stories like your neighbour’s makes me want to.  I wish I had my debt down/savings up more before getting into this stuff, the FOMO is real ha.

I initially used Wealthsimple to buy my first $50 worth of BTC, but then I wanted to buy another $50 and decided waiting 5 days for deposits is ridiculous so I pulled out.  Downloaded Newton because I read good things, but it’s down now due high activity, which is unacceptable when you want to buy on a dip.  Just got Shakepay and was able to deposit/buy within minutes.

When you say WSB type trading, you mean options? Because get ready to lose almost all your money. For every successful trader on there, there's hundreds who lost everything.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 06:48:05 AM »
@cky enthusiast - Valid points!  I definitely don’t think I’m smarter than any career investors, but it’s a pipe dream of mine to one day be okay at it and not have to work my shitty low paying construction job until I’m cripple.  It’s funny because I’ve always been pretty anti-gambling, but there’s money to be made out there with research and little luck.  As long as you never invest more than you can comfortably lose.  Again, I know there’s more to learn than I possibly ever could.

I totally agree that index funds are the best long term option, it’s just the gains are so small it’s basically just a savings account.  I threw 50 into a roboadvisor app and my money actually went down over a couple weeks.  I wasn’t expecting immediate gains but man, pretty discouraging.

@Chatbot - I’m sorry, I’ve tried to look up info on Options trading but struggled to make sense of it.  Can you explain in dumbass terms?  Is it possible to lose more than you put in with options?  I assumed I could throw a little coin in, and worst case I lose it, best case I multiply it.. but if I’m way off please let me know.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »
why not take the money you’d spend investing and throw it towards an associates degree or something? not trying to discourage you, but there are more active steps you can take to escape manual labor hell with a better track record

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2021, 08:05:17 AM »
ive been trying to set up a robinhood account for a month now but don’t have a social sexurity card to verify the account .. are there any other trading apps that are easier to get started
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
AMC and Gamestop stocks are on fire lately. Gamestop is up 1000% in a few days. Heavily shorted stocks and very risky. 

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2021, 11:06:23 AM »
Ive been using TD Ameritrade. Not great but it gets the job done.

It does have a few good videos about trading. I learned a few things about forex trading and it is explains options clearly.

I'm learning not to listen to advice from self proclaimed "experts" that work for financial publications when it comes to recommendations. Following their advice has been just as good as me guessing.

But overall I'm pretty "conservative" with my money (Marx would frame me as a miser, which makes me bad at capitalism). I have most of my money in straight savings, then a standard 401K, then a supplemental 401k like account (I manage this myself and it is primarily ultra low risk, bonds, and 15% bet on the big corps), and then I have this TD account to lose money on and remind myself I'm pretty god damn dumb and irrational.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
AMC and Gamestop stocks are on fire lately. Gamestop is up 1000% in a few days. Heavily shorted stocks and very risky.

If you got in on the GME was last week when it was 35 then it's time to get out now while it 10x'ed. I honestly didn't believe it would even get over 200. Ever. But here we are. Reddit was certainly able to make some big fucking waves and I'm glad it's scaring hedge funds.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2021, 01:50:09 PM »
Put money on AMC this morning at $13.44 and it closed at around $19 today. Put a stop loss on it like a bitch so I can't lose any money, but hoping to see it keep climbing.

Irvine-Sucks.com

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2021, 01:59:21 PM »
Put money on AMC this morning at $13.44 and it closed at around $19 today. Put a stop loss on it like a bitch so I can't lose any money, but hoping to see it keep climbing.
probably won’t happen but it could open at lower than your stop loss, has happened to me before.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2021, 02:15:42 PM »
asking again what trading app are you guys using ? i don’t want to miss out on this again

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2021, 02:17:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
probably won’t happen but it could open at lower than your stop loss, has happened to me before.

Very true. That's alright if it does. Didn't put too much on it. Just wanted to potentially run it up.

And straight, I just used Robinhood. I signed up the night before and although it takes about 5 days for bank funds to go through, they gave me an immediate amount I was able to buy with, so I just used that.

Irvine-Sucks.com

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Very true. That's alright if it does. Didn't put too much on it. Just wanted to potentially run it up.

And straight, I just used Robinhood. I signed up the night before and although it takes about 5 days for bank funds to go through, they gave me an immediate amount I was able to buy with, so I just used that.

how though? do you have a ssn card? it’s asking me for that and all i have is a drivers license

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2021, 02:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

how though? do you have a ssn card? it’s asking me for that and all i have is a drivers license

Yea I have a SSN, so not sure the workaround there.

Irvine-Sucks.com

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 115
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
2 days in and im up 300% on GameStop, bring in the money :)

going to the moon  :-*

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »

heard they intend to bring it up to 1000$, I wonder if they can pull that off

FirstBlood82

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2021, 02:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
heard they intend to bring it up to 1000$, I wonder if they can pull that off

would not surprise me, dont know when i will cash out. will wait to friday and see, maybe monday...

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2021, 03:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yea, I imagine the apps want the SSN for the IRS and other legal issues.

I'm sure how to get around. If you can't get a SSN (and live in the States) can you get a tax identification number?

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »
This wallstreetbets discord just broke I think
Lots of AMC and GME talk.

I just cashed out my GME and may try to ride the AMC wave

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2021, 03:51:28 PM »
This wallstreetbets discord just broke I think
Lots of AMC and GME talk.

I just cashed out my GME and may try to ride the AMC wave

yep looks like the reddit thread is down now too. im very impressed by how powerful the internet just became - a bunch of people with $50 and a Robinhood account are taking down huge companies.

GME is interesting - people seem pretty confident that the short squeeze will drive this thing into the thousands but i don't know enough to be sure. well worth a couple hundred bucks of risk though - I've lost that in many less exciting ways. AMC, GME, NOK. fuggit.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2021, 05:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm sure how to get around. If you can't get a SSN (and live in the States) can you get a tax identification number?

not fast enough to put my life savings in blackberry tomorrow

FirstBlood82

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2021, 05:16:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

my blackberry stock has moved up 47% since monday, hope for moooooore

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2021, 06:37:59 PM »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2021, 08:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That after hours dip was pretty gnarly for BB, but I'm hoping we keep moving along here.

I'm hoping the irrationality of the average person shoots GME, AMC, and BB up even more. One of the kids I work with has made some money on AMC.

I still don't see how GME has a value over 25 cents since don't most people just download games now anyway? What the hell are they going to sell? How many people are like me and never upgraded systems after the PS2 and have to go to Goodwill to get new games? I feel it is like betting on GME is like betting on Blockbuster in the age of Netflix.

piss joslin

• Rep: -13
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
straight, there's robinhood, sofi and webull. likely there's more sites. BTC keeps going down i might go in heavy. didn't run the gamestop but caught their next 'to the moon' stock. and skipped NOK although i might be foolish.

FirstBlood82

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2021, 08:45:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That after hours dip was pretty gnarly for BB, but I'm hoping we keep moving along here.

I'm hoping the irrationality of the average person shoots GME, AMC, and BB up even more. One of the kids I work with has made some money on AMC.

I still don't see how GME has a value over 25 cents since don't most people just download games now anyway? What the hell are they going to sell? How many people are like me and never upgraded systems after the PS2 and have to go to Goodwill to get new games? I feel it is like betting on GME is like betting on Blockbuster in the age of Netflix.

im in on BB for the long run and GME for the short run.

watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=39&v=rLqH4K5u22k&

they explain why GME stock are $$$$$ (for the moment)

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:34 PM »
Wallstreetbets is hilarious. The Gamestop madness has been extremely entertaining.  It helps that im up big time in my position.  I get a kick out of this shit. Id never describe myself as a gambling man but its essentially an online worldwide casino.  The pandemic has been an incredible opportunity to earn money on stocks I wish I knew more sooner.

Whoever needs a reference for a trading app, I use Webull and its fantastic.

Use my referral link, deposit a 100 bucks and get 2 free stocks: https://act.webull.com/pr/xoNxwYZ3eplz/tun/inviteUs/

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2021, 08:51:38 PM »
My portfolio was up 7% in the morning for the day and now it showing down 4%.. such a swing.

Overall im up 54% since I started in July.

Im on robinhood. In my opinion its best to be passive. Dont get emotional. Within my few months I was down, and checking in everyday multiple times, then I chilled just let the money sit and things turned. Im  in for the long haul.

Heres my Robinhood link: https://join.robinhood.com/eleazap39 , when you sign up youll get a free stock.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:10:52 PM by lazer69 »

piss joslin

• Rep: -13
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
My portfolio was up 7% in the morning for the day and now it showing down 4%.. such a swing.

Overall im up 54% since I started in July
do you ever take spending $ out? i'd like to have long term but also have others that i eat off of.