Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 120498 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #720 on: January 04, 2022, 02:49:23 AM »

Been tempted to get these, but opted for the Grosso Mids instead.

Do the Skate Lo's have tongue centering straps?

yes

BlueCadet3

• Rep: -1
« Reply #721 on: January 04, 2022, 07:28:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just want chukka boots to come back. I like the Chukka low but it's not the same.

I know Vans won't ever do this. To me that shoe was the best looking shoe ever made.
[close]
Maybe somethings in the works? The checkered tag basically means they’re skate models right?
[close]

Yes.

Sure do!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just got some sk8 lows. Probably my favorite pair of Vans I’ve ever owned. Fit slightly snug at first but 30 seconds in the microwave worked wonders. These are definitely TTS for me.

[close]

Been tempted to get these, but opted for the Grosso Mids instead.

Do the Skate Lo's have tongue centering straps?
[close]

All the Skate versions do have the tongue straps, which is a plus for me, as I like them, but I know some others have cut them out, which you can do if you are not so keen.

Did your Grosso Mids still have the 3D version of the insoles?

The harder plastic heel cup thing built into the insole is another one - some people like it, some don't.

I love it, I land primo a lot and it doesn't really hurt at all anymore. Took a little while longer to break in but I think that's a good trade off.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #722 on: January 04, 2022, 08:13:43 AM »
I just want chukka boots to come back. I like the Chukka low but it's not the same.

I know Vans won't ever do this. To me that shoe was the best looking shoe ever made.
sounds like there WAS a Reynolds chukka planned but it got scrapped (along with the Lampin)

europa1991

• Rep: 52
« Reply #723 on: January 21, 2022, 07:48:42 PM »
https://www.sneezemag.com/
Those Skate Chukkas ET was wearing dropped. Looks like they were a collab with Sneeze magazine. Price is steep tho

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #724 on: January 21, 2022, 08:15:26 PM »
what's the fit like on the Grosso mids? compare to the half cabs? I wanna cop a pair of the blue and orange before I can't find em anymore
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

slaab900turbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 9
« Reply #725 on: January 21, 2022, 08:43:43 PM »

Agreed. My all time favorite shoe.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #726 on: January 21, 2022, 09:15:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Agreed. My all time favorite shoe.

that couldnt be a more unflattering photo
maybe i just dont get it but have a gnar for the laugh
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

europa1991

• Rep: 52
« Reply #727 on: January 25, 2022, 02:25:36 PM »
You guys go tts in the Crockett highs or go a half size down?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #728 on: January 25, 2022, 03:04:07 PM »
you should be good with tts. I've gone half size down on a few pairs and they become perfect once broken in though.
it depends on how snug you want your shoes to be, but tts should still provide a decent snug fit for most since the shoe is a high top anyways

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #729 on: January 25, 2022, 03:06:17 PM »
I'll ask again... how's the fit of the Grosso mid? similar to half cabs? eh?

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #730 on: January 25, 2022, 03:08:44 PM »

I got a pair of Crockett Highs and have only worn them once so far but yeah, they're true to size, same size as Half Cab Pros, Skate Sk8-Lows, Crockett Lows, Old Skool Pros or Skate Sids for example. I only go half a size up when I get Slip Ons.

franc

« Reply #731 on: January 25, 2022, 03:11:48 PM »

I imagine they're somewhat similar to the Skate Sk8-Lows I'm skating at the moment. They feel kinda stiff at first but they're perfect once you've worn them at work for like 2 days. Good board feel and the sole lasts forever. I doubt they're as bulky as the new Half Cabs.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #732 on: January 25, 2022, 03:31:25 PM »

Go up .5 if you wanna add your own insoles on top of ultra cush.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #733 on: January 26, 2022, 04:45:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Go up .5 if you wanna add your own insoles on top of ultra cush.

Holy shit why? That's a MASSIVE amount of foam between you and your board.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #734 on: January 26, 2022, 07:52:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I imagine they're somewhat similar to the Skate Sk8-Lows I'm skating at the moment. They feel kinda stiff at first but they're perfect once you've worn them at work for like 2 days. Good board feel and the sole lasts forever. I doubt they're as bulky as the new Half Cabs.

right on. thanks. see, I dig the new half cabs. can't really see myself getting anything more low-pro right now

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #735 on: January 27, 2022, 11:20:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i run same size in the new half cabs and the new grosso mid. they'll hurt your feet for a day or two but then they feel nice. i highly recommend

right on. thanks. see, I dig the new half cabs. can't really see myself getting anything more low-pro right now
good come sausage

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #736 on: January 27, 2022, 11:28:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i run same size in the new half cabs and the new grosso mid. they'll hurt your feet for a day or two but then they feel nice. i highly recommend

[close]

So a 10.5 half cab skate is a 10.5 grosso mid, feeling wise? Aaaaaah. I might pull the trigger

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #737 on: January 27, 2022, 11:38:24 AM »
Got my 2nd pair of Vans, ever. The Crockett Highs. Just like the Chima 2's, they are not very comfy. Bad cupping at the heel, causing heelslip unless worn very tight. The materials are just not plush, or not much of it at all. Nike blazers are way more comfy. But oh well...

notinternetfamous

« Reply #738 on: January 27, 2022, 12:25:59 PM »
Got my 2nd pair of Vans, ever. The Crockett Highs. Just like the Chima 2's, they are not very comfy. Bad cupping at the heel, causing heelslip unless worn very tight. The materials are just not plush, or not much of it at all. Nike blazers are way more comfy. But oh well...
did you get the wrong size? I found the crocketts to be one of Vans most comfortable shoe that i've tried in recent years (rowans, slip ons, old skool, ave pro - i liked the ave pro but had heel slip issues). Nike blazer mids definitely have more padding around the collar, but are more narrow than most vans so may not be comfy for people that are used to Vans silhouettes

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #739 on: January 27, 2022, 02:13:46 PM »
No. Length wise they are perfect. Toe is touching, but I like them that snug, because most shoes stretch a little.
Its the inner material, and that they are rather roomy height wise. I guess my foot doesnt like Vans, which all seem to cater more to wider, thicker feet I guess :D

DillsDarts

• Rep: -22
« Reply #740 on: January 28, 2022, 09:23:42 AM »

The Grosso's fit more like the Sk8 Hi's than anything IMO. I picked up a pair of the EMO black colour way @ they feel pretty stiff, but I think that's just because of the weird material of the EMO colour, gonna keep them on ice until them humid ass +30 Ontario days come back around :-\

'Offensive career gets one do over, last attitude gets two tries. Cariuma riders have a bigger margin for error but will ultimately be decided by the referee'.
[/quote]

franc

« Reply #741 on: February 17, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #742 on: February 17, 2022, 02:36:04 PM »
I’m stoked the toe is one piece now

MikeX

• Rep: 7
« Reply #743 on: February 18, 2022, 07:43:53 AM »
With the crockett 2's, does anyone else get their heels rubbed raw by the heel counter stitching? I remember they had them in the 1's but it never bothered me, but somehow with the 2's in the same size my heel keeps wanting to lift up when i walk

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #744 on: February 18, 2022, 09:09:50 AM »
Fuuuck those new Crockett 2’s are too fresh. Told myself I wouldn’t buy any skate gear for at least 6 months, but this is hard to pass up. I have way too many shoes too

LebowskisRug

« Reply #745 on: February 18, 2022, 12:21:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
did you get the wrong size? I found the crocketts to be one of Vans most comfortable shoe that i've tried in recent years (rowans, slip ons, old skool, ave pro - i liked the ave pro but had heel slip issues). Nike blazer mids definitely have more padding around the collar, but are more narrow than most vans so may not be comfy for people that are used to Vans silhouettes

can you compare the Crockett High to the new skate Half Cabs? IIRC they have the older, thicker Popcush, which I don't remember loving necessarily. I'm not sure the thin canvas does much for the ankle support, but I forever associate Crockett 2's more with the kind of lifted truck bros that wear MAGA hats and live in the central valley and still shop at Vans so they can remind you of how good they were at heelflips when they were 13.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #746 on: February 18, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
^That is a very strange association but then again the Central Valley is a strange place
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #747 on: February 18, 2022, 12:51:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

can you compare the Crockett High to the new skate Half Cabs? IIRC they have the older, thicker Popcush, which I don't remember loving necessarily. I'm not sure the thin canvas does much for the ankle support, but I forever associate Crockett 2's more with the kind of lifted truck bros that wear MAGA hats and live in the central valley and still shop at Vans so they can remind you of how good they were at heelflips when they were 13.

As a lifelong resident of the Central Valley, the Vans shoes of choice for bros out here are definitely Chukka Lows and Chima 1's.

But to answer your question I have both Crockett Highs and skate Half Cabs and the half cabs have more ankle support for sure but the Crockett Highs have great heel lockdown which is gonna do more for ankle support than just padding alone.

notinternetfamous

« Reply #748 on: February 18, 2022, 12:58:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I haven't skated the new skate half cabs yet (I do have a pair of Reynolds '92 on the way tho!). I'm not really aware of the changes with the popcush formula but it feels identical to the ones used in the Rowans. I just mainly skate them for the wafflecup and I just like the feeling of wearing a hightop for that secureness factor (heel slippage and the feeling of my foot sliding around inside a shoe are major pet peeves for skating). It's kinda like a chuck taylor high, not plush at all like the half cabs.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #749 on: February 18, 2022, 01:17:04 PM »
got a pair of the forest green grosso mids. first new vans in a few years..

they're super nice and fit same as my other 10.5 vans from over the years. all the skate improvements are very solid on these. feels like the quality the pro classics had from 2013-2015 or so