Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 122081 times)

franc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 102
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #690 on: November 15, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What are people's experiences with Van’s leather? I just saw these half cabs...

...and was wondering how they'd skate compared to suede ones.
[close]

I’ve got these exact shoes and the Reynolds as well. The Leather took a few sessions to break in and was stiffer at first. Pretty logical, but once broken in they’re about the same I can’t really tell.
[close]
Been thinking about getting a pair of half cabs on Friday. Never had a pair. What do I need to know?

I haven't skated any from the new Skate line yet but had loads of the Pro ones and loved them. I'm skating a pair of Skate SK8 Lows at the moment and it's great so you don't have anything to worry about regarding the stiffness of the sole. I heard the new Skate half cabs feel stuff at first but just wear them at work for a week and you should have a good pair of skate shoes.

I'm really tempted by those red and white ones but already have too many shoes. Damn.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #691 on: November 15, 2021, 09:44:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What are people's experiences with Van’s leather? I just saw these half cabs...

...and was wondering how they'd skate compared to suede ones.
[close]

I’ve got these exact shoes and the Reynolds as well. The Leather took a few sessions to break in and was stiffer at first. Pretty logical, but once broken in they’re about the same I can’t really tell.
[close]
Been thinking about getting a pair of half cabs on Friday. Never had a pair. What do I need to know?

Besides taking a few sessions to break in these are my favorite shoe available right now. I loved the Half Cab Pro, and these ones only improved an already great shoe. I got the blackout model as soon as my local got them in and I’m almost ready to retire them. I destroy shoes fast, but I will probably get about 9 months out of these. I plan on buying them again.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #692 on: November 17, 2021, 06:49:52 AM »
wish they'd bring back the Dr. T.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #693 on: November 17, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »
I tried the Wayvee's. They fit more snug as any other Vans I tried before, but still not snug enough for me. I think I give up on Vans and just wear Half Cabs for chilling.
IG: @flowterspace

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #694 on: November 17, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »

Had the yellow and white pair back in the day. Sadly Van's seems to shun any shoe released in the 2000-2010s.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #695 on: November 17, 2021, 07:33:50 PM »

I had that weird coffee leather Dr T high as a kid. Those were hilarious

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #696 on: November 17, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
Vans x Rassvet Skate Bold

Digging the tocap and wave into the eyelets.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #697 on: December 13, 2021, 08:19:23 AM »
ok so i know its been discussed before, but the new skate slip-ons are unbearable to wear.  i wore them for the day yesterday running errands and they were more difficult to put on than any pair of sneaker i own, with or without laces.  by about 2 hours in my feet actually hurt.  the entire canvas upper felt overly stiff and really had no flex to it at all.

do these break in after time, or has anyone else had different experiences?  i loved how the slip on pro's felt, but these things are not for me at all

skateviewer

• Rep: 5
« Reply #698 on: December 13, 2021, 08:47:00 AM »
ok so i know its been discussed before, but the new skate slip-ons are unbearable to wear.  i wore them for the day yesterday running errands and they were more difficult to put on than any pair of sneaker i own, with or without laces.  by about 2 hours in my feet actually hurt.  the entire canvas upper felt overly stiff and really had no flex to it at all.

do these break in after time, or has anyone else had different experiences?  i loved how the slip on pro's felt, but these things are not for me at all

they break in really nice but they are extremely painful at the beginning, love how they feel worn in but decided for now it's not worth the struggle getting there personally.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #699 on: December 13, 2021, 08:55:05 AM »
I found them super comfy honestly. No heel issues and they don't flex and bag out. I never liked skating slip ons and these ones feel solid.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #700 on: December 13, 2021, 10:00:27 AM »
alright maybe i'll be a little patient with them.  i definitely couldnt skate them brand new, but lets see if time tells a diff story

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #701 on: December 14, 2021, 04:47:18 AM »
alright maybe i'll be a little patient with them.  i definitely couldnt skate them brand new, but lets see if time tells a diff story

it happened to me with the previous ones (not the new skate series).
They felt bad for a few days (and it wasn't consistent with friends telling me they were really confortable).
way better after a week of walking in them

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #702 on: December 14, 2021, 05:29:26 AM »
I wore mine for 2 or 3 walks around my neighbourhood. Among other fit problems, the collar absolutely obliterated my heel/achilles each time and didn't seem to be getting any better, so I just put them in a closet and forgot about them. It's not slip-on weather here anymore, so maybe I'll give them another try in the spring. Best of luck to anyone more patient than me.

MikeX

• Rep: 8
« Reply #703 on: December 14, 2021, 07:46:07 AM »
I wore mine for 2 or 3 walks around my neighbourhood. Among other fit problems, the collar absolutely obliterated my heel/achilles each time and didn't seem to be getting any better, so I just put them in a closet and forgot about them. It's not slip-on weather here anymore, so maybe I'll give them another try in the spring. Best of luck to anyone more patient than me.

Did you keep the stock insoles? I find that theyre absolute shit and make your heels sit too high up to get a good heel lock, and as a consequence of that my heel would lift and get scratched as I walk. I switched them out with some FP insoles and its a night and day difference. Also the stock insoles are much too cushy and unstable, I felt like my ankle could roll either way as I was skating.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #704 on: December 14, 2021, 07:51:30 AM »
I actually really like the new Popcush as it seems thinner and stiffer than what they had before which was super mushy. They have less in the heel than lots of Adidas or even Dunks, but I could see how people might not like it.

So far what I like is that the elastic on the tongue stays tight and that the heel doesn’t end up getting soggy and collapse. That makes them always feel more like slippers than shoes.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #705 on: December 15, 2021, 06:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you keep the stock insoles? I find that theyre absolute shit and make your heels sit too high up to get a good heel lock, and as a consequence of that my heel would lift and get scratched as I walk. I switched them out with some FP insoles and its a night and day difference. Also the stock insoles are much too cushy and unstable, I felt like my ankle could roll either way as I was skating.

Both with and without, and same thing. I normally wear custom orthotics in my shoes, which are lower than the Popcush ones, but still no go. I also found them too narrow in the forefoot. I'll probably still squeeze into them and try to torture myself into stretching them out at some point, though.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #706 on: December 15, 2021, 07:59:57 AM »
skate slip on's and old skools hurt your heel first couple times

skate slip on's vamp crushes your feet first couple wears

after a few wears they're pretty sick
good come sausage

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #707 on: December 15, 2021, 09:02:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Both with and without, and same thing. I normally wear custom orthotics in my shoes, which are lower than the Popcush ones, but still no go. I also found them too narrow in the forefoot. I'll probably still squeeze into them and try to torture myself into stretching them out at some point, though.

Have found this with pretty much every vans pro shoe since way back. Had to switch to just regular classic vans which for whatever reason work so much better for me (I think I might actually be too heavy for the cushion to work, even in good shape I'll weigh about 100kgs(I think that's about 220 in American)). I've been using the same TNT 2 insoles for about 13 years but they don't fit into the new ones so good. Has anyone bought a pair of classics recently? And can compare to a pair from pre 2014? I must of bought 50+ pairs between 2010-2014 but I'm down to my last two.

nevrwasben

« Reply #708 on: December 15, 2021, 09:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Have found this with pretty much every vans pro shoe since way back. Had to switch to just regular classic vans which for whatever reason work so much better for me (I think I might actually be too heavy for the cushion to work, even in good shape I'll weigh about 100kgs(I think that's about 220 in American)). I've been using the same TNT 2 insoles for about 13 years but they don't fit into the new ones so good. Has anyone bought a pair of classics recently? And can compare to a pair from pre 2014? I must of bought 50+ pairs between 2010-2014 but I'm down to my last two.
Yo Meanie
I’m about the same weight as you and I’ve loved all of the Vans insoles since they started making Pros (but none were as good as the OGs with the blue gel under the heel) and I don’t have any issues with them. Now the build on the upper is a whole nother story. I feel like the latest Skate Line is between the OG Pro line and the updated Pro line when the collars got lower and everything else got narrower/less deep. In short, I feel like the new Skate line (sorry, I’m only thinking of slip ons, I need to get some new Eras) is a step in the right direction of what was/should be as far as Vans goes…

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #709 on: December 16, 2021, 04:36:10 AM »
Vans x Rassvet Skate Bold

Digging the tocap and wave into the eyelets.

I have the black ones, and they are dapper as fuck. I had the same achilles heel problems with the new Skate Vans many others have had, got the scabs to prove it, but I sort of stepped on that part of the shoe a little bit to break it in more and now they are mighty fine.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #710 on: December 16, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »
That model is on sale literally everywhere too, went right to the racks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #711 on: December 16, 2021, 06:03:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yo Meanie
I’m about the same weight as you and I’ve loved all of the Vans insoles since they started making Pros (but none were as good as the OGs with the blue gel under the heel) and I don’t have any issues with them. Now the build on the upper is a whole nother story. I feel like the latest Skate Line is between the OG Pro line and the updated Pro line when the collars got lower and everything else got narrower/less deep. In short, I feel like the new Skate line (sorry, I’m only thinking of slip ons, I need to get some new Eras) is a step in the right direction of what was/should be as far as Vans goes…
Cheers mate. I guess it's not my weight but just my weird feet/Achilles. The shoe depth is the main issue tho some vans shoes I've got are so shallow I might as well try and skate in slides.

nevrwasben

« Reply #712 on: December 16, 2021, 10:41:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yo Meanie
[close]
Cheers mate. I guess it's not my weight but just my weird feet/Achilles. The shoe depth is the main issue tho some vans shoes I've got are so shallow I might as well try and skate in slides.
That’s my point tho, I feel like the Skate line raised the collar so that I get more heel lock on the slip ons. I wouldn’t wear them for a few years (after they redid the Pros <2nd iteration>), because like you said, they were too shallow. Definitely improved for me in the Skate line. I still need to try some Skate Eras to see if it’s better on those too, as I’ve missed that shoe dearly…

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #713 on: December 31, 2021, 01:42:22 AM »
Just got some sk8 lows. Probably my favorite pair of Vans I’ve ever owned. Fit slightly snug at first but 30 seconds in the microwave worked wonders. These are definitely TTS for me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #714 on: December 31, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »
Just got some sk8 lows. Probably my favorite pair of Vans I’ve ever owned. Fit slightly snug at first but 30 seconds in the microwave worked wonders. These are definitely TTS for me.

I definitely found some love for the Sk8 low shoes in the last year, with them being my usual go to nowdays.

Did the metal eyelet have any issues in the microwave?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #715 on: January 01, 2022, 02:37:35 PM »
I just want chukka boots to come back. I like the Chukka low but it's not the same.

I know Vans won't ever do this. To me that shoe was the best looking shoe ever made.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #716 on: January 01, 2022, 09:37:50 PM »
I just want chukka boots to come back. I like the Chukka low but it's not the same.

I know Vans won't ever do this. To me that shoe was the best looking shoe ever made.

Maybe somethings in the works? The checkered tag basically means they’re skate models right?

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #717 on: January 02, 2022, 10:33:53 PM »

Been tempted to get these, but opted for the Grosso Mids instead.

Do the Skate Lo's have tongue centering straps?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #718 on: January 03, 2022, 06:06:48 AM »
skate slip on's and old skools hurt your heel first couple times

skate slip on's vamp crushes your feet first couple wears

after a few wears they're pretty sick

Got a pair of the new Old Skools for Christmas. The lack of padding around the Achilles was definitely noticeable but after just wearing them around the house for a day they feel fine. It'll probably be a bit before I skate them cuz my current skate shoes are relatively new too but I suspect the Old Skools will also be an improvement over the Pro counterpart.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #719 on: January 03, 2022, 12:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Maybe somethings in the works? The checkered tag basically means they’re skate models right?

Yes.

Sure do!

Expand Quote

[close]

Been tempted to get these, but opted for the Grosso Mids instead.

Do the Skate Lo's have tongue centering straps?

All the Skate versions do have the tongue straps, which is a plus for me, as I like them, but I know some others have cut them out, which you can do if you are not so keen.

Did your Grosso Mids still have the 3D version of the insoles?

The harder plastic heel cup thing built into the insole is another one - some people like it, some don't.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.