Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 121971 times)

Tonyhawk-prostate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -112
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #1290 on: March 25, 2024, 05:47:51 AM »
My hype for the ave 2.0 just dwindled
Big fat nollie tre

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1291 on: March 25, 2024, 09:59:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Knu Skool  (less solid, but a puffy old skool is a good idea) and Fairlane are solid models, as long as they're not in gross, weird colors.

AVE 2.0 - wtf is that thing? Experimental technology is good but not when you butcher it like that! First AVE had the right idea with tech meets boardfeel in a cup.
[close]

I wore a pair of the reissued Fairlane's as my work shoes last year. Super comfortable, and walking 11 miles a day on sidewalks they lasted me 8 months. Really solid shoe that I wish they would have kept in production. They even had an all black leather colorway which was perfect for me being a mail carrier

As for the AVE 2, I really wish they would go back to more simplistic designs with his shoes. It's just a weird choice for the Dickies and plain white tshirt guy to have the most outlandish looking shoe in the lineup. I get that he's an aging skater and needs a more protective shoe, but it would make more sense if they took the Nike Koston 1 approach, where the tech aspects are on the inside of a simple looking silhouette. Or just release a cupsole AVE Rapidweld and call it a day
[close]

That would be true except he doesn't wear these shoes once the initial marketing push is over.

This was the same problem with Elijah's shoe -- they pushed this new Wafflecup tech on us through him and all he skates are vulcs. Might as well made him a vulc shoe.

If they want to push Wafflecup tech with a skater, they need to push Glick more. Dude is always wearing the Zahba mids and likes the cupsole.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1292 on: March 25, 2024, 01:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Knu Skool  (less solid, but a puffy old skool is a good idea) and Fairlane are solid models, as long as they're not in gross, weird colors.

AVE 2.0 - wtf is that thing? Experimental technology is good but not when you butcher it like that! First AVE had the right idea with tech meets boardfeel in a cup.
[close]

I wore a pair of the reissued Fairlane's as my work shoes last year. Super comfortable, and walking 11 miles a day on sidewalks they lasted me 8 months. Really solid shoe that I wish they would have kept in production. They even had an all black leather colorway which was perfect for me being a mail carrier

As for the AVE 2, I really wish they would go back to more simplistic designs with his shoes. It's just a weird choice for the Dickies and plain white tshirt guy to have the most outlandish looking shoe in the lineup. I get that he's an aging skater and needs a more protective shoe, but it would make more sense if they took the Nike Koston 1 approach, where the tech aspects are on the inside of a simple looking silhouette. Or just release a cupsole AVE Rapidweld and call it a day
[close]

That would be true except he doesn't wear these shoes once the initial marketing push is over.
[close]

This was the same problem with Elijah's shoe -- they pushed this new Wafflecup tech on us through him and all he skates are vulcs. Might as well made him a vulc shoe.

If they want to push Wafflecup tech with a skater, they need to push Glick more. Dude is always wearing the Zahba mids and likes the cupsole.

I always respect how much footage Rowan has wearing his own model shoes
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1293 on: March 25, 2024, 02:02:05 PM »
If those AVE 2s didn’t have that sock/knit thing or ugly mismatched yellow foam on full display, they’d be aight.

Perhaps a better color way could change some hearts and minds.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1294 on: March 26, 2024, 08:00:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think it comes down to Rowan designing the shoe he wanted and Elijah not doing so. 

What I find weird about the new AVE is ad copy calling it his 3rd pro model.   I guess they’re retconning all those enhanced classic models out of their history, bc there was def a AV6

Dad Board

• Rep: 71
« Reply #1295 on: March 26, 2024, 08:22:10 AM »
If those AVE 2s didn’t have that sock/knit thing or ugly mismatched yellow foam on full display, they’d be aight.

Perhaps a better color way could change some hearts and minds.

There’s no colorway that can save it. Vans, who are beloved for their simplicity yet keep trying to make a running shoe for skateboarding are blowing it. Who’s even asking for a new Ave shoe in 2024? I hardly saw anyone wear the original ones (which were grossly overpriced) and AVE isn’t out here getting clips or doing much of anything that I can tell. Why not focus on building a new silhouette around someone relevant? I say this as someone who was a fan of AVE the active pro skater before he went behind the curtain. Unless I’m missing something, who are these even for?

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1296 on: March 26, 2024, 08:27:57 AM »
reissue the AV classic high

tbh just give the style 238 the "skate" treatment and i'll consider buying them at full price

these vaults with the cons lunarlon insoles in them were **chef's kiss** **raccoon emoji**

good come sausage

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1297 on: March 26, 2024, 09:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think it comes down to Rowan designing the shoe he wanted and Elijah not doing so. 

What I find weird about the new AVE is ad copy calling it his 3rd pro model.   I guess they’re retconning all those enhanced classic models out of their history, bc there was def a AV6
This shit happens so much and I have no idea why. TNT had two different TNT 3s. Ave already had a shoe called the ave 3. Even without the all the classics it would be the ave 6 at my best count. (Ave 2,3,6, rapidweld, last new one, this one)

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1298 on: March 26, 2024, 10:00:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
This shit happens so much and I have no idea why. TNT had two different TNT 3s. Ave already had a shoe called the ave 3. Even without the all the classics it would be the ave 6 at my best count. (Ave 2,3,6, rapidweld, last new one, this one)

I liked the one that looked like an Era that got stung by a bee.

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1299 on: March 26, 2024, 10:30:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yep, AV6. I wanted those so bad, but when I tried them on there was enough room for another set of toes on top of my toes in the shoe. Bummed me out.

*edit
Oops, I think you meant these; AVEra 1.5

Troubadour26

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1300 on: March 26, 2024, 11:02:48 AM »
AV Sk8 Low’s were rad

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1301 on: March 26, 2024, 11:05:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yep, AV6. I wanted those so bad, but when I tried them on there was enough room for another set of toes on top of my toes in the shoe. Bummed me out.

*edit

Wasn’t that his first model when he got on Vans?   

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1302 on: March 26, 2024, 11:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

*edit

Bingo, those AVEra 1.5s were the one I was thinking of. Lots of slim fit jeans going right into those puffy monstrosities at the park back in the day. I also had a set of the AVE Sk8 Lows with the snakeskin print - very funny, but foot destroyers for sure.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1303 on: March 26, 2024, 11:07:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Is it common for pros to not wear their own shoes? Decks I get...Nyjah, Ishod, Nora, Lizzie, Foy...list goes on, always in their own shoes.

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1304 on: March 26, 2024, 11:25:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Is it common for pros to not wear their own shoes? Decks I get...Nyjah, Ishod, Nora, Lizzie, Foy...list goes on, always in their own shoes.
Busenitz seems to only skate in the Busenitz Vulcs not the Busenitz Pros.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1305 on: March 26, 2024, 11:30:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Busenitz, Puig, Alexis, Louie, Jon Dickson, Leo are a few more that I can think of.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1306 on: March 26, 2024, 11:36:49 AM »
Busenitz in the vulcs only has been new.

AVE had some footage in his early pro models for sure and the AV6. I loved his AV3 pro model but he never skated those.

Then the “AV4” and “AV5” were some weird mall shoes with weird names and not pushed by him or Vans in skate mags at all. They did the classic DC-style technique where they used words that’s started with “Ave-“ as names. I only remember seeing they were his pro models by reading their descriptions on the Vans website. I guess they wanted to give him some good checks? I can’t seem to find photos of those anywhere anymore but used to be able to. They were bad but not any worse than any other ones of those kinds of shoes. Kids would probably love them today tbh

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1307 on: March 26, 2024, 11:41:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

*edit

[close]

Bingo, those AVEra 1.5s were the one I was thinking of. Lots of slim fit jeans going right into those puffy monstrosities at the park back in the day. I also had a set of the AVE Sk8 Lows with the snakeskin print - very funny, but foot destroyers for sure.
The first ave shoe was just the avera and it was a potato. Then they tweaked it a bit to be a little less puffy but mostly the same.  The avera 1.5 was years later and not that puffy. Funny I dug out a pair of the ave sk8 lows recently (just checker board tho not cool print) and compared to modern vulcs they could be a pair of lebrons

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #1308 on: March 26, 2024, 03:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fair point, I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've seen him in his last shoe

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1309 on: March 26, 2024, 03:32:44 PM »

AVE had some footage in his early pro models for sure and the AV6. I loved his AV3 pro model but he never skated those.

Then the “AV4” and “AV5” were some weird mall shoes with weird names and not pushed by him or Vans in skate mags at all. They did the classic DC-style technique where they used words that’s started with “Ave-“ as names. I only remember seeing they were his pro models by reading their descriptions on the Vans website. I guess they wanted to give him some good checks? I can’t seem to find photos of those anywhere anymore but used to be able to. They were bad but not any worse than any other ones of those kinds of shoes. Kids would probably love them today tbh

I still have quite a few pairs of AVE shoes, but without going through the boxes, a few names come to mind that I have or had.

The Av5 or 6 as pic above - looked like an era with extra up top and a super high toe.

AV Sk8 low(first ones) in all black upper, although they came in a million different side print materials too, but these were my favourites for a long time.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/194719773157

AV Native, sort of like the reissue Sk8 hi with the smaller side bit

https://sneakernews.com/2012/08/26/vans-av-native-american-low/

AVE Skate Classic, a super thin canvas shoe with rubber underlay, almost Authentic thin all over

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145262079186

I have more, but that will do.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Jeremykleinsjackrag

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1310 on: March 26, 2024, 04:17:37 PM »
Anyone ever fuck with the original AV3? I had like four pairs when they first came out. Kinda like Vans tried to do a sporty retro football shoe or a slight gazelle and actually pulled it off. Wish they would remake these

turdtastic

« Reply #1311 on: March 26, 2024, 06:10:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I still have quite a few pairs of AVE shoes, but without going through the boxes, a few names come to mind that I have or had.

The Av5 or 6 as pic above - looked like an era with extra up top and a super high toe.
AV Sk8 low(first ones) in all black upper, although they came in a million different side print materials too, but these were my favourites for a long time.

AVE Skate Classic, a super thin canvas shoe with rubber underlay, almost Authentic thin all over

The burgundy/white, navy/white and black/white for me; many, many pairs.
Wish the latest ones still came with no stripe…

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1312 on: March 26, 2024, 06:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

On most with the stripe I have taken to spray black out the side, change in black laces and it has a way more low key vibe.

Full black upper with the white vulc trim works for me right now.  Do it to Sk8 low, Old Skool, etc.

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #1313 on: March 26, 2024, 07:01:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

On most with the stripe I have taken to spray black out the side, change in black laces and it has a way more low key vibe.

Full black upper with the white vulc trim works for me right now.  Do it to Sk8 low, Old Skool, etc.

They had a dark navy Old Skool colorway just like you're describing and it's still my favorite to this day

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #1314 on: March 26, 2024, 07:32:31 PM »
Anyone ever fuck with the original AV3? I had like four pairs when they first came out. Kinda like Vans tried to do a sporty retro football shoe or a slight gazelle and actually pulled it off. Wish they would remake these

Yup picked up like 3 orange pairs from Marshall’s back in the day. Great shoe.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1315 on: March 26, 2024, 07:51:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They had a dark navy Old Skool colorway just like you're describing and it's still my favorite to this day

Yeah they do some from time to time, more special colour ways or whatever than a normal stock shoe.

The one that I was pretty stoked on was the Vans SOTY colab, all black suede old skool for Cardiel and I still have them too.

This pic came up from a google search, but I have black laces and took off the print on the side heel just to keep them plain.

* Sorry for turning this into a "vintage" Vans models thread today

turdtastic

« Reply #1316 on: March 26, 2024, 08:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah they do some from time to time, more special colour ways or whatever than a normal stock shoe.

The one that I was pretty stoked on was the Vans SOTY colab, all black suede old skool for Cardiel and I still have them too.

This pic came up from a google search, but I have black laces and took off the print on the side heel just to keep them plain.

* Sorry for turning this into a "vintage" Vans models thread today

Haha, I love it.
And I had those too, all suede with tonal stitching 💦

OhioGuy

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1317 on: March 27, 2024, 06:56:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Busenitz, Puig, Alexis, Louie, Jon Dickson, Leo are a few more that I can think of.
Tyshawn always wears his shoes too.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #1318 on: March 27, 2024, 07:41:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I think the big thing here is how involved they are in the process... you can tell a lot of guys just get their named slapped on a shoe that could've been a team model and then they don't like it and don't want to wear it. But if they get what they want out of their pro model then they're probably gonna wear it.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1319 on: March 27, 2024, 08:17:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Tiago, Westgate, Knox
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.