Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45254 times)

Skoldbergscones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Watches
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »
The nomos club campus starts at 900 euros on chrono24

I just bought a nomos orion 33 Duo for my wife, regular prce is 1200, paid 850 through chrono.
the quality is amazing.

Also a timex Q for myself is on the way.

Nice! I've had my eye on the Timex Falcon for a bit.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #331 on: December 03, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHB8REzDJDV/
tried on the green and black/ grey versions. the alpinist has never done much for me (despite me liking green watches) but this version is a lot better imho AND they got the dimensions right at 37.5mm (PLUS a black date wheel). tis a nice watch, just not what I'm looking for atm...
explorer vibes with 200m wr for under a grand is pretty epic tho
[close]

I really like this version, and one I may pick-up. I don't know much about watches and only have one my dad gifted me a few years ago (a watch of his he didn't feel he wore enough). It's too dressy for everyday use, but that Seiko is great. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
. No problem, they go for around $700 I think, which isn’t that cheap but it’s a quality watch and will last you a long time. Perfect for everyday wear and will look good no matter your attire. Only the green version comes on a bracelet, the blue and black/grey come on leather so that’s something you might want to factor in? These will be super versatile in terms of strap options though. Your hardest choice will be which colour to get, all three are really stunning (personally is go blue or black/ grey).

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #332 on: December 06, 2020, 02:48:02 AM »
Only just saw this thread and thought i'd share with you lovely people.
I've got a hand full of cheap swatches etc that i've picked up (usually drunk at airports over the years) but heres my main two.

Casio Royale
This is my every day watch, useful having a light an a timer function which I use for cooking on almost every meal, also being 50atm water proof and cheap makes it a great beater. Also I find it slightly more interesting looking that the regular digital watches of a similar price point

Marloe Cherwell
This is my more fancy watch that I normally reserve for almost any kind of occasion, going out to dinner, family events etc.
It is a hand would watch which feels very pleasant to wind and i'm a big fan of the thought that it doesn't work without my regular winding for some reason, something about it being a symbiotic relationship I guess. It is made by a micro brand from my home city which makes me feel like i'm wearing a little piece of home now that I have moved far away.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »
@finknoos
that's a nice two watch collection (minus your swatches)
Casio royale is a classic choice that pretty much goes with anything unless you are getting suited up, great GEDA (go anywhere, do anything) watch.

never heard of Marloe but that is one nice looking movement, is it in house or based off another movement?
what the diameter of the dial?
that's cool that you did the ritual of winding your watch, something that you can only really get with hand wound movements. the lack of date would make it much more satisfying too; my vintage hand wound Rado doesn't have a quickset for the date function so if it completely unwinds, I have to wait a full month before using it again LOL

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2020, 04:26:42 AM »
@finknoos
that's a nice two watch collection (minus your swatches)
Casio royale is a classic choice that pretty much goes with anything unless you are getting suited up, great GEDA (go anywhere, do anything) watch.

never heard of Marloe but that is one nice looking movement, is it in house or based off another movement?
what the diameter of the dial?
that's cool that you did the ritual of winding your watch, something that you can only really get with hand wound movements. the lack of date would make it much more satisfying too; my vintage hand wound Rado doesn't have a quickset for the date function so if it completely unwinds, I have to wait a full month before using it again LOL

Thanks man. As I mentioned Marloe is a pretty small company, so I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it, but they are based in my hometown so I feel a certain connection.

The movement is not in house, I believe it is a Seagull ST3621. The diameter of the case is reasonably large by my standards at 43mm, which I feel is right on the line for the size of my wrist. (I wouldn't like to go any larger)

There are some small details that the photos I attached might not show also which are quite nice. Around of the rim of the case-back is engraved "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour" A quote from C.S.Lewis who is famously from Oxford where this watch takes other inspirational notes. Such as the hands resembling the spires of oxford and (a bit of a stretch but still) the concentric circles engraved into the seconds dial representing water ripples after the river Cherwell which is the name of this specific model.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2020, 01:57:14 PM »
Awesome! The more a watch has a story behind it, the more connection you have to it. I must say they did a great job on decorating a seagull movement here. Will have to check them out!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: December 10, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »

I really like the look of this watch. Does anyone (GISM?) know anything about N.W.C. or Lowercase for that matter? N.W.C. seems to be a Japanese company so searching google in english doesn't work very well.

Here's the link to the post: https://hypebeast.com/2020/11/n-w-c-lowercase-military-watch-release

Or maybe there is a comprable Seiko/etc. watch? I'd like a diver on a mesh band (is that the right name for this band?). I'd prefer if it had a date on it, but it looks good clean too.
http://www.navalwatch-jp.com/content/#collection

Full collection @beatifk

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #337 on: December 11, 2020, 03:35:12 AM »
Expand Quote

I really like the look of this watch. Does anyone (GISM?) know anything about N.W.C. or Lowercase for that matter? N.W.C. seems to be a Japanese company so searching google in english doesn't work very well.

Here's the link to the post: https://hypebeast.com/2020/11/n-w-c-lowercase-military-watch-release

Or maybe there is a comprable Seiko/etc. watch? I'd like a diver on a mesh band (is that the right name for this band?). I'd prefer if it had a date on it, but it looks good clean too.
[close]

Full collection @beatifk

Its a milanese strap

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Full collection @beatifk

Cool thanks! It's a shame that the one I like is a quartz movement... anyway, not really interested in it anymore.

But it does lead me to another question. Is there any difference between quartz movements?

Is a quartz movement Patek really much better than a quartz movement in a Timex watch?

When I first started looking at "adult" watches I never even considered a quartz movement because in my mind it just doesn't have the je ne sais quoi of a mechanical or auto movement.

Anyone have any insight here?

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Full collection @beatifk
[close]

Cool thanks! It's a shame that the one I like is a quartz movement... anyway, not really interested in it anymore.

But it does lead me to another question. Is there any difference between quartz movements?

Is a quartz movement Patek really much better than a quartz movement in a Timex watch?

When I first started looking at "adult" watches I never even considered a quartz movement because in my mind it just doesn't have the je ne sais quoi of a mechanical or auto movement.

I do not know the answer to this, but have wondered the same thing. I've also been curious if the quartz ever degrades or wears out. Does sending a charge through quartz for decades start to break it down?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2020, 02:03:28 PM »
The answer is ... look up grand Seiko quartz movements: they grow their own fucking crystals!! But other than GS, I’m guessing there is a difference between the quality of high end Swiss quartz and made in china quartz but I’m definitely not an expert in this area...

Timely discussion though because I just bought a vintage quartz watch *gasps*

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »

So i couldnt resist.
This is my new timex Q.

37 mm, daydate, under 150 euros, retro look.
So it ticks all the boxes i was looking for in a diver, besides the fact that its a quartz movement. But that fits
The vibe of the watch.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2020, 03:58:40 PM »
Quartz crisis!
Jk, you picked the right color imho and it’s ready to go anytime you need a watch.
The quartz I just bought has a similar vibe, will post pics once in my hot little hands (the specs look perfect for me)

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2020, 04:33:29 PM »
did y’all see this gucci ran a campaign for their guccigrip watches inspired by skating feat cher strawberry from the candylandy supreme vid/glue skateboards
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CHi3PvipIpG/?igshid=1pxufssubsk59

thoughts on gucci watches? i had my eye on a gold gtimeless one but was 38 & i want 36 max swiss made prob not the best but i back gucci in general

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2020, 06:13:29 PM »
I've spent probably 50 hours watch perusing over the last couple of weeks, and I am way sick of it. 38 tabs open on my computer.  Always been a watch is a watch, some are just prettier, type of person.  Now I know that's not the case and I'm irritated.  I just hate my phone, and don't want to reach into my pocket to know what time it is.  I found that Foundation watch in a box.  Got a new battery and have worn it since.  Thought I'd buy a new one, spend maybe $80.   Then a few days later it's $125.  Then $185, $225, $300.  Oh that $700 one is on sale for $380, that's justifiable.  Now I'm trying to measure my wrist with a shoelace because I don't know what size I can get away with.  Fuck.   6 7/8" is my best guess.

Now I'm back to the $125 zone until I can figure out what I really want, or need. 

But then I find a barely used Zodiac in the sold out color I like for $800.  Fuck you all, this is a disease.

So anywho, I think I'm going to get an Orient Ray II or Mako II.   Something for work with a rubber strap.  Unless I find a super deal.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »
The watch thread is popping today!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: December 16, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
I've spent probably 50 hours watch perusing over the last couple of weeks, and I am way sick of it. 38 tabs open on my computer.  Always been a watch is a watch, some are just prettier, type of person.  Now I know that's not the case and I'm irritated.  I just hate my phone, and don't want to reach into my pocket to know what time it is.  I found that Foundation watch in a box.  Got a new battery and have worn it since.  Thought I'd buy a new one, spend maybe $80.   Then a few days later it's $125.  Then $185, $225, $300.  Oh that $700 one is on sale for $380, that's justifiable.  Now I'm trying to measure my wrist with a shoelace because I don't know what size I can get away with.  Fuck.   6 7/8" is my best guess.

Now I'm back to the $125 zone until I can figure out what I really want, or need. 

But then I find a barely used Zodiac in the sold out color I like for $800.  Fuck you all, this is a disease.

So anywho, I think I'm going to get an Orient Ray II or Mako II.   Something for work with a rubber strap.  Unless I find a super deal.

hahaha, you’ve been bitten badly. Zodiac is a great but I don’t know how versatile that colour will be, nor how it will age.

My 5 yen: it’s rare that you can pick a good watch straight off the bat for your first purchase despite having done a lot of research, this is because you need to wear and feel watches to really find out what works for you. Having said that the orient ray ii is a good option (despite the bracelet being pretty shit), the make a quality product and it won’t blow your bank account. You’ll also be able to bounce it anytime because lots of people getting into the hobby seek them out. Get the blue imho, the sunburst dial is ridiculously beautiful...
BUT have you looked at citizen NY0040s? They come on a rubber strap, are as tough as nails and look good with most outfits. Don’t mean to send you down a bigger rabbit hole but they make a hell of a nice watch for the price you pay (again though, the orient will serve you well)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #347 on: December 16, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hahaha, you’ve been bitten badly. Zodiac is a great but I don’t know how versatile that colour will be, nor how it will age.

My 5 yen: it’s rare that you can pick a good watch straight off the bat for your first purchase despite having done a lot of research, this is because you need to wear and feel watches to really find out what works for you. Having said that the orient ray ii is a good option (despite the bracelet being pretty shit), the make a quality product and it won’t blow your bank account. You’ll also be able to bounce it anytime because lots of people getting into the hobby seek them out. Get the blue imho, the sunburst dial is ridiculously beautiful...
BUT have you looked at citizen NY0040s? They come on a rubber strap, are as tough as nails and look good with most outfits. Don’t mean to send you down a bigger rabbit hole but they make a hell of a nice watch for the price you pay (again though, the orient will serve you well)

I'm not buying that Zodiac, its just shiny and pretty.

I've seen you recommend the NY0040 a few times, it's one of my open tabs.  I've looked at it 5 times, the blue looks great.  Not sure about that 7 oclock crown, 4 would be great, 7 seems odd.  If Amazon had one I'd buy it, just to try it on.   But I can't find one for sale that has the day in English, or it is an extra $170 or so.  Don't want to deal with returns from an unknown place, or harsh out a small local shop with a return if I'm not feeling it.  So I'll go cheap on my first go, probably.  Leaning blue heavily.  Although there is a black black Ray Raven II that looks tough.  Not sure if there is a difference in the Raven version, but it seems to be an extra $30
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: December 16, 2020, 09:34:45 PM »
Shit son, you are doing your homework!
8 o’clock crown is for maximum wrist movement, it’s quirky and you wont be able to set it without taking it off your wrist (unless you’re left handed/ wear it on your right wrist) but I hardly ever adjust my watches while I’m still wearing them as they are rotated through my collection. Yes, the blue is amazing! Although the black is very dark/ inky and has its own charm!

Hold on a second though, the day is bilingual so it should have both, never heard of one with only one language...

Be careful with blackout watches, if it’s just a PVD coating it will chip and look awful whereas stainless watches with scratches/ battle scars look cool! Pm me if you need anymore help

edit: also with your wrist size, I'd be for 40mm or under ideally (but will depend on the watch)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:07:47 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2020, 09:38:58 PM »
did y’all see this gucci ran a campaign for their guccigrip watches inspired by skating feat cher strawberry from the candylandy supreme vid/glue skateboards
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CHi3PvipIpG/?igshid=1pxufssubsk59

thoughts on gucci watches? i had my eye on a gold gtimeless one but was 38 & i want 36 max swiss made prob not the best but i back gucci in general
I’ll let you know my thoughts later. They actually tested it out in Japan first and flowed/ hooked up similar “underground” type skaters. https://www.gucci.com/jp/ja/st/stories/article/gucci-grip-tokyo
basically they hooked up the evisen crew!

Fuck it I’ll type it now. As a watch head and a skater I’m kinda torn; this is a straight up marketing strategy for them to try and penetrate the market/ our culture. Having said that, if Gucci wanted to send me watches for free that I could skate in, I’d have no qualms about accepting them. Double edged sword, I doubt they’ll hang around for long though... most average joe skaters don’t want to drop $1500 on a watch and if I had $1500 to drop, I'd be buying something a lot better than a Gucci fashion watch!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:36:27 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #350 on: December 17, 2020, 12:10:36 AM »
on a semi-related note I bought a Swatch watch for my girlfriend as a christmas present. This pink one:

She's in her 30s and never learned to read a watch. So I thought about how I learned to read a watch... When I was a kid my mother would take me back-to-school shopping. The skateshop was the first stop; to buy 3 t-shirts for $25 or whatever their deal was plus some new sneakers. Then, we would have lunch, usually at KFC. Next we would head to the mall where we would buy a clear swatch watch (jellyfish, always with the guard). I would get a new watch every year or every 2 years depending on how yellow and gross the one was from the year before. And I always got the clear uncolored one. It was a fun tradition and I really learned to read a watch with those. So I'm hoping to continue the tradition in honor of my mother.

I don't know the ethics of the Swatch company now, I hope they're not owned by some ghoulish mega-corp, but whatever, they are part of my childhood so here we are.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: December 17, 2020, 04:34:14 AM »
I'm strictly an automatic man, or at least I was until recently. G-shocks are a great exception and these things are crazy:
https://wornandwound.com/a-look-inside-grand-seikos-9f-quartz-movement/
that's some seriously technology, I've seen a few in the flesh and "tick" is quite beautiful!
(and yeah, I also have a quartz watch in the mail)

edit: will write a swatch update when I get a chance...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:48:12 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #352 on: December 17, 2020, 06:46:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm strictly an automatic man, or at least I was until recently. G-shocks are a great exception and these things are crazy:
https://wornandwound.com/a-look-inside-grand-seikos-9f-quartz-movement/
that's some seriously technology, I've seen a few in the flesh and "tick" is quite beautiful!
(and yeah, I also have a quartz watch in the mail)

edit: will write a swatch update when I get a chance...

I've been going back and forth about if I want to step into the automatic game. Not not quite at the 30 tabs open level but definitely kicking the tires on a lot of watches. Will probably end up getting a Seiko 5 to try an automatic out without a huge inventment. But I just keep thinking about how carefree and simple quartz are tho!

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: December 17, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »
I change up watches almost every day, i have automatics, handwindings and quartz watches.  so when i‘m in a hurry its great to just quickly grab a quartz watch and know date time and day are set correct.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #354 on: December 17, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've seen you recommend the NY0040 a few times, it's one of my open tabs.  I've looked at it 5 times, the blue looks great.  Not sure about that 7 oclock crown, 4 would be great, 7 seems odd.  If Amazon had one I'd buy it, just to try it on.   But I can't find one for sale that has the day in English, or it is an extra $170 or so.  Don't want to deal with returns from an unknown place, or harsh out a small local shop with a return if I'm not feeling it.  So I'll go cheap on my first go, probably.  Leaning blue heavily.  Although there is a black black Ray Raven II that looks tough.  Not sure if there is a difference in the Raven version, but it seems to be an extra $30

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #355 on: December 17, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Is that your new watch?? Close those tabs, that thing is badass!

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #356 on: December 17, 2020, 04:58:40 PM »
thoughts on two tone watches like the datejust from american psycho? didn’t back them at first but starting to fw the balance i have insane ocd bout that kind of stuff tho so might end up hating it in the end

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: December 17, 2020, 08:13:09 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CI7LNHkLOYs/?igshid=1aec492o5j5al
@jay_nev knows what’s up!

Two tone watches aren’t for me, I’d like to believe they are but my wedding band is silver and so I like to keep my watches in line with that colour. That’s not a steadfast rule though, and one you can break fairly easily; you can totally rock a gold wedding band and wear stainless watches, it’s just not for me.

IF I wearing jewelry that was a mix of the two, then I could see the purpose of two tones because then you could wear either colour and god still be matching but yeah, I can’t really do gold anyways so I guess I’m lucky? 
Having said that I don’t mind the two tone Tudor BB36 on jubilee...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:27:23 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: December 17, 2020, 11:18:50 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: December 19, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »
So ... I’m now wearing a quartz watch:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJAnfnprMvI/?igshid=1b9jg900decv9
Seriously though, I got this on a jubilee bracelet in MINT condition for under $500 and its dimensions and looks blow most “vintage-inspired” divers out of the water!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:11:01 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »