Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45278 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Watches
« Reply #660 on: July 07, 2022, 04:52:28 PM »
Nice spotting there! Really hard to tell by that opening clip, and Tag dropped a LOT of watches in the 90s, but the bracelet kinda looks oyster-ish… does he have insta? I can stalk/ zoom the fuck out of his pics

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #661 on: July 19, 2022, 11:26:42 AM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #662 on: July 19, 2022, 07:15:57 PM »
Clear cases are cool and all… until they turn piss-colored over time! I like that HUF is getting into the watch collab game though

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #663 on: July 20, 2022, 07:11:13 AM »
Colors are pretty sick and I've been looking for an excuse to get a casioak but for some reason I just can't get behind having a "skate" watch. Having "huf" on a watch I donno just makes it less desirable to me

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #664 on: July 20, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
Is it a lume dial?

Naliga

• Rep: 1
« Reply #665 on: August 10, 2022, 08:32:41 PM »
Signed up for this thread!

Watch nerd here, general lover of mechanical things and industrial design. Glad to see the enthusiasm in this chat and lack of snobbery (often sullies the hobby for me).

I have a 7-inch wrist so my parameters for a watch size is quite big and I can pull off a wide variety. This makes my list of possible purchases long as hell.  ;D gift and a curse I guess.

I've been really into Oris as a brand lately, and I think I'm gonna dive (pun intended) into my first level entry luxury watch with an aquis 43.5. Anyone here had experience with it? Would love to hear about your ownership experience.(TIA)

Also side note if the big crown pointer date had a WR100 rating it would be on my wrist daily.

Bit of a long winded first post.

I live in Thailand and as much as Thai people are watch nerds, I haven't got a lot of friends in the hobby.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #666 on: August 17, 2022, 08:46:41 PM »

Watch nerd here, general lover of mechanical things and industrial design. Glad to see the enthusiasm in this chat and lack of snobbery (often sullies the hobby for me).

I have a 7-inch wrist so my parameters for a watch size is quite big and I can pull off a wide variety. This makes my list of possible purchases long as hell.  ;D gift and a curse I guess.

I've been really into Oris as a brand lately, and I think I'm gonna dive (pun intended) into my first level entry luxury watch with an aquis 43.5. Anyone here had experience with it? Would love to hear about your ownership experience.(TIA)

Also side note if the big crown pointer date had a WR100 rating it would be on my wrist daily.

I live in Thailand and as much as Thai people are watch nerds, I haven't got a lot of friends in the hobby.

Dude welcome! Obviously Oris is a pretty well established brand and they make some really killer stuff, but personally I haven’t connected with their watches. I will say the ones they made out of recycled plastic was really cool and I dig their environmental efforts.

As someone who occasionally dives, I’m really attracted to dive watches and brands that kind of specialize in that arena like doxa, zodiac, rado, and (Tudor/Rolex to an extent, the Pelagos being my favorite watch) I think they all have watches in the range of oris as far as price and specs go, tho when it comes to the actual movements and their qualities i don’t know too much.

It’s all so subjective but I don’t think anyone could really argue with your choice as oris is such a well respected brand, only thing I would say is definitely try it on in person if possible, and enjoy!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #667 on: August 18, 2022, 12:37:08 AM »
Welcome, I have owned both the 39.5 aquis and 36mm big pointer (I have small wrists). Two very different watches, do you go anywhere near water? If so the aquis no question, having said that it also has a few minuses. For both of them, I will say Oris has great designs, but their fairly generic movements do nothing for me and I actually had problems with my big crown. Have you tried them both on? Personally the see through casebacks feel really weird after I sweat, fine if it’s on a nato but I don’t think I’d ever own another see through caseback…or at least not one with that material (mineral)

Aquis is a beast, and even though your wrist is big, I’d still go for a smaller size, you do know they have a 41.5 available too. For reference, classic Rolex submariners are very similar dimensions as the 39.5 aquis, too much dial space actually looks comical to me these days. Also, while the finishing is great, the polished center links on the bracelet are pure scratch magnets. There is a matte 39.5 in black with a full brushed bracelet too, that would be my choice because it matches the tool-ish vibes that the watch is trying to pull off. Also, are you happy with only ever having two bracelet options? You’ll need to take it to an AD to get it changed. I was in between micro adjustments on the bracelet so I could never get a good fit. The rubber bracelet is top quality though!!!!

While spec-wise I think the aquis smokes most watches in that price range, I’m definitely more partial to the looks of the big crown pointer date. The blue you’ve chosen is a really great color dial and you can mix it up with lots of different straps (again I wouldn’t get the bracelet because it’s all polished). I could find more faults with the aquis, but the big crown feels like something you need to baby a lot. They’ve just dropped some 38mm versions and I personally think that is the sweet spot for size with this watch. https://www.instagram.com/p/ChZfywRsxit/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Have you had a look at the 65 divers from them too? Kinda a mix between the too, but the dimensions work better I think. Probably don’t want to swim with it, but it has the vintage diver vibes down pat, the domed crystal is a thing of beauty and the bracelet is really cool with its taper (20mm lugs means you can put it on a range of straps). 100m wr too boot so if you fell in a pool, you don’t need to be worried about it!

Either that or a Seiko 62mas reissue(s)? Similar price range, vintage vibes with modern specs. Also, see if you can try on some Sinn too, the 104 and the 556 are good entry level models and will give Oris a good run for their money!

Either way, I would try on a lot of watches before pulling the trigger. Also, look up reviews and be aware of ALL of pros/ cons of the watches you are looking it; rose-colored glasses tend to cloud your judgment and then you’re 6 months into the watch and start thinking, “yeah, I get why everyone was saying that this particular thing about the watch (e.g. 17mm lugs on the 36mm BCPD) is annoying!” And then you need to flip and start from scratch… this is basically me x50, I buy way too much shit on impulse whereas I should sit on the watch for 6 or so months to give me time to really think it through. Let me know if you have any other questions!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:02:32 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Naliga

« Reply #668 on: August 21, 2022, 07:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Dude welcome! Obviously Oris is a pretty well established brand and they make some really killer stuff, but personally I haven’t connected with their watches. I will say the ones they made out of recycled plastic was really cool and I dig their environmental efforts.

As someone who occasionally dives, I’m really attracted to dive watches and brands that kind of specialize in that arena like doxa, zodiac, rado, and (Tudor/Rolex to an extent, the Pelagos being my favorite watch) I think they all have watches in the range of oris as far as price and specs go, tho when it comes to the actual movements and their qualities i don’t know too much.

It’s all so subjective but I don’t think anyone could really argue with your choice as oris is such a well respected brand, only thing I would say is definitely try it on in person if possible, and enjoy!
I think for Oris it's that their independent and original in design, nothing they offer looks like a spitting image of another watch on the market imo.

Same here on the Pelagos, I'm tempted daily to just blow my savings on one  ;D I always think its too big looking at the spec sheet, then I see one in the wild and it's absolutely perfect haha
Tool watches are what excited me about watches from the start, and although I don't dive the overengineered aesthetic that divers have is just awesome. 

Welcome, I have owned both the 39.5 aquis and 36mm big pointer (I have small wrists). Two very different watches, do you go anywhere near water? If so the aquis no question, having said that it also has a few minuses. For both of them, I will say Oris has great designs, but their fairly generic movements do nothing for me and I actually had problems with my big crown. Have you tried them both on? Personally the see through casebacks feel really weird after I sweat, fine if it’s on a nato but I don’t think I’d ever own another see through caseback…or at least not one with that material (mineral)

Aquis is a beast, and even though your wrist is big, I’d still go for a smaller size, you do know they have a 41.5 available too. For reference, classic Rolex submariners are very similar dimensions as the 39.5 aquis, too much dial space actually looks comical to me these days. Also, while the finishing is great, the polished center links on the bracelet are pure scratch magnets. There is a matte 39.5 in black with a full brushed bracelet too, that would be my choice because it matches the tool-ish vibes that the watch is trying to pull off. Also, are you happy with only ever having two bracelet options? You’ll need to take it to an AD to get it changed. I was in between micro adjustments on the bracelet so I could never get a good fit. The rubber bracelet is top quality though!!!!

While spec-wise I think the aquis smokes most watches in that price range, I’m definitely more partial to the looks of the big crown pointer date. The blue you’ve chosen is a really great color dial and you can mix it up with lots of different straps (again I wouldn’t get the bracelet because it’s all polished). I could find more faults with the aquis, but the big crown feels like something you need to baby a lot. They’ve just dropped some 38mm versions and I personally think that is the sweet spot for size with this watch. https://www.instagram.com/p/ChZfywRsxit/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Have you had a look at the 65 divers from them too? Kinda a mix between the too, but the dimensions work better I think. Probably don’t want to swim with it, but it has the vintage diver vibes down pat, the domed crystal is a thing of beauty and the bracelet is really cool with its taper (20mm lugs means you can put it on a range of straps). 100m wr too boot so if you fell in a pool, you don’t need to be worried about it!

Either that or a Seiko 62mas reissue(s)? Similar price range, vintage vibes with modern specs. Also, see if you can try on some Sinn too, the 104 and the 556 are good entry level models and will give Oris a good run for their money!

Either way, I would try on a lot of watches before pulling the trigger. Also, look up reviews and be aware of ALL of pros/ cons of the watches you are looking it; rose-colored glasses tend to cloud your judgment and then you’re 6 months into the watch and start thinking, “yeah, I get why everyone was saying that this particular thing about the watch (e.g. 17mm lugs on the 36mm BCPD) is annoying!” And then you need to flip and start from scratch… this is basically me x50, I buy way too much shit on impulse whereas I should sit on the watch for 6 or so months to give me time to really think it through. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you for the info, that was helpful. yea I've tried on all three sizes, 41.5 is pretty perfect for me, with the 39.5 being a tad too small. Unfortunately, they don't offer the 41.5 in that glossy black dial. and I don't think I'm ready to shell out the money for the anthracite calibre 400 model. crazy how this hobby makes (me at least) hyper critical over .5-2mm but i guess that's how it goes  ;D

I love that 62mas dude. Seriously stunning and fits like a dream, definitely on my shortlist. I've also given big thought about the white dial alpinist, as they share the same movement and the alpinist can be dressed up a bit.

The preowned Seiko market here in Thailand is incredible too. You can get serious deals on some models (with verified authenticity)

I'm gonna be making a purchase soon on one of these watches discussed, as a big birthday is coming up. Will share it here. Cheers guys.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #669 on: August 22, 2022, 05:57:20 AM »
The 62mas will serve you well, especially with the beefed up power supply. It’s also not trying to be something it isn’t and has a nice history behind (even though it’s not a sbdx or whatever the high beat reference is) I had the 149 version and it was pretty hard to fault, my wrists were just too skinny for it, but it should work for you I reckon.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCLBLDRnVc6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Yes, people in Thai love Seikos huh? Used to go there a lot for work and spotted many a watch nerd in my daily travels.
Have you tried on the Oris 65 in 40mm too?
Like the Seiko, it’s pretty much Goldilocks specs for your wrist size.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:47:04 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

baggy spandex

« Reply #670 on: August 22, 2022, 11:11:34 AM »
I'm new to the world of watches, but I've been learning more about mechanicals over the last couple months and have really fallen down the rabbit hole.

Right now I just have a Swatch that I do really like but I'm itching to get something hand-wound or automatic. My taste is more geared towards minimalist dress watches, and I really like the Junghans Max Bill, but I'm quickly becoming obsessed with everything Nomos is doing. I keep thinking about what I could sell in order to afford this Club Campus 38, lol:

It's really hard to decide if I should save up my money for one of those or if I should go cheaper so I can scratch the itch of owning my first mechanical. I do like the Seiko cocktail time watches and I keep thinking about the Seiko Evisen watch. Maybe a Tissot? Anyway, I've been enjoying reading through this thread and seeing what you all have.

Oh, and here's a pic of the Swatch model I have:

Uknowmyinsta

• Rep: -346
  • Your brain has no facts.
« Reply #671 on: August 22, 2022, 11:34:39 AM »

Naliga

« Reply #672 on: August 22, 2022, 08:59:04 PM »
The 62mas will serve you well, especially with the beefed up power supply. It’s also not trying to be something it isn’t and has a nice history behind (even though it’s not a sbdx or whatever the high beat reference is) I had the 149 version and it was pretty hard to fault, my wrists were just too skinny for it, but it should work for you I reckon.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCLBLDRnVc6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Yes, people in Thai love Seikos huh? Used to go there a lot for work and spotted many a watch nerd in my daily travels.
Have you tried on the Oris 65 in 40mm too?
Like the Seiko, it’s pretty much Goldilocks specs for your wrist size.
Yea the 65 is great. In pictures, it doesn't translate as well as in person. Super clean watch. If I can find a preowned one over here without any bronze on it I may just get one. I dig bronze but I don't really want it on my daily driver.

Naliga

« Reply #673 on: August 22, 2022, 09:15:08 PM »
I'm new to the world of watches, but I've been learning more about mechanicals over the last couple months and have really fallen down the rabbit hole.

Right now I just have a Swatch that I do really like but I'm itching to get something hand-wound or automatic. My taste is more geared towards minimalist dress watches, and I really like the Junghans Max Bill, but I'm quickly becoming obsessed with everything Nomos is doing. I keep thinking about what I could sell in order to afford this Club Campus 38, lol:

It's really hard to decide if I should save up my money for one of those or if I should go cheaper so I can scratch the itch of owning my first mechanical. I do like the Seiko cocktail time watches and I keep thinking about the Seiko Evisen watch. Maybe a Tissot? Anyway, I've been enjoying reading through this thread and seeing what you all have.

Oh, and here's a pic of the Swatch model I have:

Nice Swatch! Also, those value prop Seikos can be heavy gateway watches. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get one on a deal while deciding about the Nomos, which is a beauty.

I actually got a reasonably priced Tissot quartz chronograph and it totally threw me down the watch collecting hole.
If you like the minimalist style you might dig the Tissot Visodate, they have a range of movements and prices for it too.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #674 on: August 23, 2022, 12:45:14 AM »
you can’t go wrong with Nomos and from experience I can say that a cheaper version of a more expensive watch will not scratch any itches you have. Having said that, a Seiko 5 in your collection is never a bad thing, I think I posted two models on the previous page, check them out (specifically the Rolex oyster homage)

P.s. Nomos wear large due to extra long lugs, 38 Nomos will wear a lot bigger than say a Sinn 556 or a Seiko Skx013. As usual make sure you try them on in advance (multiple times) too make sure it’s a good fit for your wrist. Less is more in most situations and especially when talking about case size (biggest lesson I have learnt over the years).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:48:22 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: August 23, 2022, 12:47:02 AM »
[img]
https://hypebeast.com/2022/8/supreme-rolex-oyster-perpetual-date-fw22-rumor-info
(fart noise)
indeed, neither of those do anything for me. Modern day Rolex is very meh though, the explorer would probably be the only thing I’d touch, even then I’d go vintage!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #676 on: August 23, 2022, 12:56:23 AM »
Yea the 65 is great. In pictures, it doesn't translate as well as in person. Super clean watch. If I can find a preowned one over here without any bronze on it I may just get one. I dig bronze but I don't really want it on my daily driver.
I agree, really great on the wrist;
Super thin, great finishing and that double domed sapphire!!! Oh and can we talk 6 o’clock date window? Balances it out so we’ll imho
 Yeah, bronze ages really badly so try to avoid. I think the 65 or the 62 mas are both great options in that price range. I owned a 65 in light blue with black bezel so again, feel free to ask any questions about it!

Naliga

« Reply #677 on: August 24, 2022, 08:27:20 PM »

https://hypebeast.com/2022/8/supreme-rolex-oyster-perpetual-date-fw22-rumor-info

(fart noise)

this just dropped, maybe a reaction/ retaliation.

(yes I'm terrible at Photoshop  ;D )

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: August 24, 2022, 09:38:59 PM »
That SMP is a lot more classy imho!
(And more “on-brand” too since some love that 90s shit)
Modern day Rolex is on some kook shit if they collab with supreme …
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 11:59:33 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Naliga

« Reply #679 on: August 25, 2022, 07:03:59 PM »
That SMP is a lot more classy imho!
(And more “on-brand” too since some love that 90s shit)
Modern day Rolex is on some kook shit if they collab with supreme …

I've never respected yet despised a brand like I do Rolex haha

Also, from above, love the 6 pm date windows. Surprised it's not the accepted industry standard at this point tbh

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: August 28, 2022, 08:40:56 PM »
Rolex gave us Tudor and for that I'm thankful. Other than that I like two of their vintage models. Wouldn't go anywhere NEAR an AD in 2022 though; their selling policy is ridiculous!!! Especially when brands like Omega have watches in stock and are happy to take your hard-earned!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch1gY1Arezs/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 01:34:35 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -172
« Reply #681 on: August 29, 2022, 07:43:28 AM »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #682 on: August 29, 2022, 11:33:19 AM »
I used to wear black timex campers and now I can only find them with blacked out numbers. Wack!

doctorkickflip

« Reply #683 on: August 30, 2022, 07:15:22 AM »
I see rad rat is a man of taste wearing a (I think) casio duro in one of his videos. Not really relavent to the current discussion but love seeing skater's watches.

Tried to embed an image but it wasn't working so link: https://imgur.com/a/bAIwFW8

doctorkickflip

« Reply #684 on: August 30, 2022, 07:26:57 AM »
I see rad rat is a man of taste wearing a (I think) casio duro in one of his videos. Not really relavent to the current discussion but love seeing skater's watches.

Tried to embed an image but it wasn't working so link: https://imgur.com/a/bAIwFW8

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: August 30, 2022, 04:46:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

nice spotting there!

Tudor just dropped a 39 non-date pelagos, personally I would have preferred 37-38 but that's just my small wrists talking...
https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/pelagos/m25407n-0001

Naliga

« Reply #686 on: August 30, 2022, 08:13:12 PM »
I seem to be in the minority of enthusiasts here, but to me, a date is as important as the hour and minutes hands on a watch. I'm both forgetful and normally have hectic workdays so I'm constantly looking at the date.

I will say though that this Pelagos is gonna be a hit no doubt. Hopefully some 42s pop up on the pre-owned market for a bargain. I'm moving away from the chunky watches lately, but for the 42 pelly I feel it suits its tool watch design perfectly.

doctorkickflip

« Reply #687 on: August 31, 2022, 05:44:15 AM »
I seem to be in the minority of enthusiasts here, but to me, a date is as important as the hour and minutes hands on a watch. I'm both forgetful and normally have hectic workdays so I'm constantly looking at the date.

I will say though that this Pelagos is gonna be a hit no doubt. Hopefully some 42s pop up on the pre-owned market for a bargain. I'm moving away from the chunky watches lately, but for the 42 pelly I feel it suits its tool watch design perfectly.
Totally agree. I use my date function a LOT. Very helpful. I was stressing about this new smaller Pelagos as I just recently received the 42mm one a few months ago... But seeing the burst dial and no date I'm a little less envious. I may still end up getting one eventually since I love these dang watches so much... maybe when they inevitably release it in blue.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #688 on: August 31, 2022, 08:59:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Totally agree. I use my date function a LOT. Very helpful. I was stressing about this new smaller Pelagos as I just recently received the 42mm one a few months ago... But seeing the burst dial and no date I'm a little less envious. I may still end up getting one eventually since I love these dang watches so much... maybe when they inevitably release it in blue.
I think for your daily watch (especially in the business world) a date function is necessary, but not all dates are created the same and I like my dates to be subtle. Check my SMP above: making the date wheel the same color as the dial is often overlooked, but such an important choice in my opinion. I want a date, but I need it to be discrete. Check out a Sinn 555a if you ever get a chance, the date is tiny and out of the way, but still there when you need it.

The reason watch heads don't like dates is mostly because of a) dial balance and b) effort required when you just want to grab-and-go your watch.
I can identify with both personally when looking at my Tudor BB 36; the dial's balance is absolutely divine and when I need it to go on the weekend or whatever, it's so quick to set (as opposed to my SKX013 which has day AND date functions). Imho quartz watches and date functions work the best if you have a bigger collection; my Tag 1000 is the perfect grab and go when I'm on the run as is my g-shock.

Now not to diss Longines or whatever, but look at their Hydroconquest dials, the balance/ symmetry is just dumb!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPEf6inHHb0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
They should have included the large 3 numeral and moved the date to 4:30, like it's actually comically dumb (sorry if any of you own one)! In contrast check their new spirit pilot watch in 37mm (on my shortlist btw), you wouldn't even know it had a date function if someone didn't tell you:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg7cAaRrVUY/

As for the 39mm Pelagos, there is a lot of people flipping their Tudors at the moment to get one, so tonnes of good deals on BB 58s and maybe even some 42mm versions. Again, it's too big for me, but it's got a lot of hype at the moment! I honestly think 39mm might even be the new 42mm, so if you haven't tried on a watch that small (for you) then I would highly recommend it, once your eyes adjust you won't think it's small anymore and the comfort levels of smaller watches will really sink its hooks in hard.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 11:33:27 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Naliga

« Reply #689 on: September 01, 2022, 01:22:37 AM »
well said about the date window. Needs to be done well. I constantly see missed opportunities by companies not matching the design of the date windows with the indicies.

on the 39mm topic. I agree completely. Watch sizes are shrinking drastically and it's for the better IMO. My current shortlist is comprised of mostly sub 41mm watches and that includes divers.

Panerai must be in serious crisis mode at the moment  ;D

also BTW found a brand new SPB143 for under 800usd full warranty included. Do I pull the trigger?  ;D