Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45273 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
Re: Watches
« Reply #720 on: September 27, 2022, 06:04:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
thanks.....yeh the Tudor Sub is great.....I have quite skinny wrists so it fits fine....had it since 2014, and it just had its first service under my ownership.  Its running real good.  I have the Oyster bracelet, but I prefer the good old nato.  I used to wear the G10 skating, but then I realised a skate is more enjoyable without a watch to look at.  The moonswatch has scratched the Speedy itch..... I think a fella only really needs one good Swiss watch.....
[close]
was gunna ask you about the bracelet, it has the look, but apparently it feels quite cheap due to the folded links (and hollow end links?). Personally I love the cheap 80s feel of my Tag 1000’s jubilee though so there’s a chance I’d probably dig it. I do have a whole box full of 18mm natos too and I think it really looks the part on one!

Yeah, I’d love to be a ‘one good Swiss watch’ type of guy and that’s where I want to head, but there’s just so many cool watches out there. Eventually either the Tudor 75090 or an Airking 14000 will be my main squeeze, just need to decide which watches I’ll liquidate to get there …
[close]

my Tudor Sub has a bracelet with folding links but I wouldn't say it looks cheap - and its in tiptop condition, no stretch and it looks the business - but I find a NATO more comfortable.  There is a jubilee strap available, which I have considered but not yet purchase. 

Re the MoonSwatch - my GF works adjacent to a Swatch boutique so she was able to keep an eye on the queue forming when a delivery was made......after a few attempts she got lucky and scored me a Mission To The Moon for retail - £207.  Now thats a lot for a plastic Swatch.........but its super fun to wear and own......and, so far, worth every penny. The dial is extremely pleasing to look at and its £5k cheaper than the real thing!  Having Omega stamped on the dial is rad.

I thought they were gonna be on their online shop soon? I completely forgot to check in the Lyon swatch shop when I was there a few weeks ago. I wanna get a Mission to Mercury one but am not gonna pay over retail. The Moon one would be my second pic. 

breezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
« Reply #721 on: September 27, 2022, 06:26:20 AM »
 arriving when a drop is happening is nigh on impossible......but on the plus side re-sale prices are dropping....its a fun watch for sure.....

breezer

« Reply #722 on: October 02, 2022, 02:35:51 PM »
think there might be a theme going on here .....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #723 on: October 02, 2022, 05:08:52 PM »
think there might be a theme going on here .....
dope! your nato addiction might rival mine ;) I'll post a pic of my nato box someday!
Don't think I was dissing the tudor 36 sub bracelet btw, I really like the feel of the folded press jubilee on my skx013. If I did get a 36 sub, I'd probably get it on the jubilee actually, although the oyster looks boss. My only qualm is that I'll probably have to sell my tudor BB36 to fund it and that thing has one of the most solid bracelets on the planet! I'm actually on a business trip today and have 3-4 watch shops I'll be hitting up while there so let's see...

Also, not trying to diss the moonswatch IF you pay RRP for it, but dudes were reselling them for $2000 in the beginning which is the dumbest shit ever because you can still pick up a used speedy reduced for that scrilla.

Still need to do a review of the logines 37mm spirit and legend diver in 36mm...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #724 on: October 04, 2022, 05:53:26 AM »
If forgot about them watch's on ebay from last week. Ended up with a winning bid on at Vostok 2414a from the 70's (I think) for fuck all. I am pretty sure it is mechanical. I'll post pics when it shows up.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #725 on: October 04, 2022, 05:36:23 PM »

Did this today.  No idea how.  Almost made it two years.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #726 on: October 09, 2022, 11:19:43 PM »
@siota give us pics!
@Joust Ostrich bummer, I'm sure there's a few nice aftermarket (possibly even domed?) ones you could find no?

I tried on a LOT of watches last week, first though I want to touch on two that I have been wanting to compare for a while, namely the longines legend diver in 36mm and the spirit in 37mm:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CaFWn12LmJM/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
vs
https://www.instagram.com/p/ChkAOP6MTXj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
(except it was the black one on the bracelet)

verdict: the diver wore a tad too small and the pilot watch wore a tad too big. I didn't expect this (at least for the diver) because I regularly rock mid-size divers. Pilot watches are supposed to be larger anyway, so you could probably get away with it, but I couldn't help thinking how I wish their dimensions were switched. Also, neither color would be my first preference; I still want to try on the blue sunburst version of the spirit and maybe check out some of the other fume dials on the diver. Finishing hands-down is OWNED by the spirit, the LLD is fully polished which is just dumb for a diver. I guess that's it's not even a true compressor so you almost have to look it at like a dress watch (although it can go down to 300m)! The dial symmetry on the spirit is so well balanced with the second hand sweeping oh so nicely across those diamond shaped lume pips on the min intervals.
Also the lume on the LLD is laughable at best, why on earth is a pilot's watch smoking you in this category? The rrp on both of them is very similar (at least in Japan) but the spirit comes on a bracelet which is super high quality and also comes COSC certified from the factory. As much as I love divers, this one would be a no brainer! The extra power reserve + date (at 6 oclock for extra steeze) pretty much makes the spirit the perfect mon - fri 9-5 watch imho. If I had the money to buy either, I'd take the spirit in blue on a bracelet!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #727 on: October 10, 2022, 01:20:32 AM »
GISM when it shows up I will! Its coming from Ukraine so I think it will take ages.

breezer

« Reply #728 on: October 10, 2022, 10:27:09 AM »
ok, one last watch I want......Citizen ProMaster Tough...the so called Ray Mears.....the 38mm version from the 90's....the hunt is on!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #729 on: October 10, 2022, 03:00:17 PM »
ok, one last watch I want......Citizen ProMaster Tough...the so called Ray Mears.....the 38mm version from the 90's....the hunt is on!
got a reference number?

breezer

« Reply #730 on: October 11, 2022, 08:21:04 AM »

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #731 on: October 11, 2022, 11:32:41 AM »
Didn't expect such thread on slap. Pleasantly surprised by all the nerdery going on.

Recently I got an itch to shop for a new watch.
I wanted something, that would be a technical and practical upgrade. I'm not after a fancy movement, but rather expand the functions with solar charging and lighter construction.

Recalled Seiko had GPS watches, started browsing and stumbled onto jackpot!

Solar charging - check!
Sapphire crystal - check!
GPS position to adjust local time zone - cheeeeeeeck!
Titanium case & bracelet - I'm melting!

Then I checked the price and realized I can't afford it even in a foreseeable future. Only if I switch to some soulless job in banking, maybe...

SSJ009

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #732 on: October 11, 2022, 11:43:56 AM »
Those seiko astrons are really nice...

Not an astron, but I've been wearing, and love my seiko prospex solar. I feel super awkward if I wear it while playing a show. I need something a little more low key/vintage looking. I was looking at this vintage seiko Hi-beat Automatic 5626-7111 . Do they all have the months in Japanese and English, or just the Japan ones? Anybody know anything about these sorts of vintage seikos?

Didn't expect such thread on slap. Pleasantly surprised by all the nerdery going on.

Recently I got an itch to shop for a new watch.
I wanted something, that would be a technical and practical upgrade. I'm not after a fancy movement, but rather expand the functions with solar charging and lighter construction.

Recalled Seiko had GPS watches, started browsing and stumbled onto jackpot!

Solar charging - check!
Sapphire crystal - check!
GPS position to adjust local time zone - cheeeeeeeck!
Titanium case & bracelet - I'm melting!

Then I checked the price and realized I can't afford it even in a foreseeable future. Only if I switch to some soulless job in banking, maybe...

SSJ009

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #733 on: October 11, 2022, 08:12:28 PM »
Seiko astrons are crazy spec-wise but yeah, the price is usually up in the mid-tier luxury watch price range meaning 9 times out of 10 you'd probably go for something swiss/ automatic unless your job/ hobbies demanded such specs.

@artskool what quartz prospex you rocking? I figure quartz is better when playing live music no? I can find those king seiko models you are after for a pretty good price here in Japan. Vintage KS aren't my area of specialty but most (pretty sure it's all) seikos with day function are released with a bilingual day wheel, the domestic version usually being the eng/ japanese version and the export models featuring English and arabic or sometimes even Roman numerals ala my seiko 5...
I skated with my CWC on Sunday, figured it could take the beating if I slammed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cje-LlPrvBP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
It’s getting a lot of wrist time at the moment, only really wearing that and my Skx013.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 10:16:21 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #734 on: October 12, 2022, 12:52:19 AM »
My work requires me to travel between 2-3 timezones, thereby it would be just *nice* to have the right time on hand without fiddling.

However now that I have discovered Chrono 24, there might be a chance.  ;)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #735 on: October 12, 2022, 01:29:20 AM »
My work requires me to travel between 2-3 timezones, thereby it would be just *nice* to have the right time on hand without fiddling.

However now that I have discovered Chrono 24, there might be a chance.  ;)
g-shock? I have one where it’s pretty easy to shuffle through different time zones

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #736 on: October 12, 2022, 02:44:59 AM »
I have checked G-Shock as option as well, but to me they are too clunky.

Unless I missed something.

I want a watch with analogue face. The Astron above is really what I'd like.

Please show which one you mean from G-Shocks?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: October 12, 2022, 06:15:03 AM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGyau66HmLi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Not an analog face but I don’t like bulky/ clunky/ big watches and yet this one wears quite well. If I’m traveling to two or more countries for work, this is the one I’ll take!
Yes, astron or some sort of world timer would be more ideal I guess, price will jump up considerably though…
Have also heard of people using the alarm function on the flight master to track a 2nd time zone, they wear quite small despite the dimensions
https://www.60clicks.com/seiko-flightmaster-sna411-review/
And
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/dual-time-zone-setting-sna411.4562661/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:22:45 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #738 on: October 12, 2022, 06:40:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGyau66HmLi/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Not an analog face but I don’t like bulky/ clunky/ big watches and yet this one wears quite well. If I’m traveling to two or more countries for work, this is the one I’ll take!
Yes, astron or some sort of world timer would be more ideal I guess, price will jump up considerably though…
Have also heard of people using the alarm function on the flight master to track a 2nd time zone, they wear quite small despite the dimensions
https://www.60clicks.com/seiko-flightmaster-sna411-review/
And
https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/dual-time-zone-setting-sna411.4562661/

These are sick as fuck. Ive been wearing Casios my whole life, currently I own around 7-8 watches from them. I will post some pics of my collection when I stop being lazy, but I love this thread, and your IG account so much. I want to get Seikos, but feel like I will betray Casio with that, haha.

breezer

« Reply #739 on: October 15, 2022, 10:25:12 AM »
the so called Casio'oak is probably the one to have

https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-b2100c-9aer

I'm going down the Citizen wormhole.......

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #740 on: October 16, 2022, 01:16:28 AM »

good call on the Casio oaks, do they track multiple time zones tho?

What citizens are you digging? Ny0040 is a great entry watch that is proper mil-speced.

I have something arriving today, it’s an 80s Seiko, noting too special but I’m excited to get my greasy hands on it!

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #741 on: October 16, 2022, 07:03:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
good call on the Casio oaks, do they track multiple time zones tho?

What citizens are you digging? Ny0040 is a great entry watch that is proper mil-speced.

I have something arriving today, it’s an 80s Seiko, noting too special but I’m excited to get my greasy hands on it!
Some casioaks have Bluetooth that changes time automatically based on your phone. But the colors the bluetooth versions come in aren’t as fun imo

breezer

« Reply #742 on: October 16, 2022, 12:53:41 PM »

looking for an OG Ray Mears.....

artskool

« Reply #743 on: October 16, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »
I've got one of these .
I don't mean it doesn't work function-wise, just vibe wise. I'm pretty much either playing folkie stuff or sometimes in a 90's indie rock band and just feel like I need something less flashy/techy. It's just aesthetics. What I really need is something that looks like a gold, beat up, vintage watch that has a guitar tuner built in. Ha.

Seiko astrons are crazy spec-wise but yeah, the price is usually up in the mid-tier luxury watch price range meaning 9 times out of 10 you'd probably go for something swiss/ automatic unless your job/ hobbies demanded such specs.

@artskool what quartz prospex you rocking? I figure quartz is better when playing live music no? I can find those king seiko models you are after for a pretty good price here in Japan. Vintage KS aren't my area of specialty but most (pretty sure it's all) seikos with day function are released with a bilingual day wheel, the domestic version usually being the eng/ japanese version and the export models featuring English and arabic or sometimes even Roman numerals ala my seiko 5...

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #744 on: October 17, 2022, 12:32:05 AM »
Still, that's a nice one @artskool ! ^

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: October 17, 2022, 06:49:51 AM »
yea, great looking chrono, but I can see why it might seem too gaudy when playing music. Maybe a smaller size quartz timex or similar type field watch (all black pvd would work)? CWC does a good military quartz (g10) as does marathon with their general purpose in 34mm, I actually recommend the marathon to another user and they messaged me saying they loved it!

artskool

« Reply #746 on: October 17, 2022, 07:18:55 AM »
Thanks fellas, I do like the Seiko and still plan on wearing in my attempt to look like a grown up picking my daughter up at school.

I have a hand-wind universal geneva military watch that almost fits the bill for being cool but not too flashy. It's quite small though, even on my small wrist. Borderline kids watch, though it is a beauty.

Very similar to this one, but I paid more like $350 for it, so there must be some magical difference. Letterforms are a different, but same palette.

I do like those G10 CWC military watches.

Expand Quote
[close]
yea, great looking chrono, but I can see why it might seem too gaudy when playing music. Maybe a smaller size quartz timex or similar type field watch (all black pvd would work)? CWC does a good military quartz (g10) as does marathon with their general purpose in 34mm, I actually recommend the marathon to another user and they messaged me saying they loved it!

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #747 on: October 17, 2022, 07:25:03 AM »
casio calculator watch is a true classic

Síota

• SLAP Pal