Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45227 times)

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Re: Watches
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2021, 10:28:49 PM »
@50mm

If you're working in the forest service I think you need one of these:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/timex-nuptse-atlantis-edition-for-japan-introducing
Aw fuck. That is super sick. I don't work for the forest service though, and everyone kind of hates them where I work lol. Love this thread, never thought I would be so into watches, but it makes sense. It's satisfying when something can be so complex and also so simple.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »

convert jpg file to url
Long time listener, first time caller...
Don’t know jacques-merde about watches, as evidenced by the fact that I used to pay good money for Nixons (for fuck’s sake,) but about 20 years ago, I found a Citizen EcoDrive with titanium case/band, in very nice shape. Somebody had hung it on a chain link fence, forgot about it & I happened upon it what I presume was some while later, as it was being used as an anchor point for a cobweb.
I liked its look, as well as the 200 meter water resistance. More over, I loved the “no battery to change, or manual winding required” aspect of it.
Sadly, about 7 years ago, I fell down while skating & busted the poor thing wide open.
When it came to purchasing a replacement watch, I went back to the well I was now familiar with & bought this considerably larger EcoDrive, again in titanium.
Cost about $150(ish?) on sale. Most I’ve paid for a watch, but I sure do enjoy it.
Aaand, lesson learned, I now remove it from my wrist before any session.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2021, 04:48:04 PM »
Hey, we all gotta start somewhere and I actually owned a Nixon back in the day #realconfessions

Citizen eco drive is a great movement and will last you years without servicing, probably one of the most bang for buck movements out there actually!

Honeymooning hard with the black bay 36, thing is mint (bar a few tiny scuffs on the on the back of the case). It wears a bit bigger than other 36mm watches but is nice and thin and the finishing/ fit is dreamy. Want to put it on all sort of natos etc. but that bracelet man...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #423 on: January 31, 2021, 02:03:59 AM »
Hey, we all gotta start somewhere and I actually owned a Nixon back in the day #realconfessions

Citizen eco drive is a great movement and will last you years without servicing, probably one of the most bang for buck movements out there actually!

Honeymooning hard with the black bay 36, thing is mint (bar a few tiny scuffs on the on the back of the case). It wears a bit bigger than other 36mm watches but is nice and thin and the finishing/ fit is dreamy. Want to put it on all sort of natos etc. but that bracelet man...

Congrats! Post some pics!

I was thinking about the black bay 36 in black for a while...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #424 on: January 31, 2021, 03:55:48 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKunVjurI2Z/?igshid=8h349i0mns85
Will write a more in-depth review later but I’m really glad I went with the blue tbh

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2021, 04:21:14 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKunVjurI2Z/?igshid=8h349i0mns85
Will write a more in-depth review later but I’m really glad I went with the blue tbh

Beautiful!!!

Looks good, congratulations!

You have Box and papers?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2021, 05:36:18 AM »
Yeah full kit in mint condition, cost me 2.2k shipped to my door and it’s stamped by the AD!
Movement may only be an ETA but they regulate them and most people report it being within cosc! The quality on the finishing is where you really feel the value though, especially with the bracelet. That blue too, man I’ve never seen a blue that deep, and it goes to navy/ black in dim light which is why I didn’t go with the black. The minute track is also a light grey so to not take away from the markers. Signed rose crown and 150m makes this one a pretty good explorer alternative, no date dials are just too clean!!!

@pica you were contemplating one? I thought you didn’t like snow flake hands?

Just ordered a Erika’s original strap for it, not cheap!
Might see if I can source a Tudor Nato too
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:47:37 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:15 AM »
Yeah full kit in mint condition, cost me 2.2k shipped to my door and it’s stamped by the AD!
Movement may only be an ETA but they regulate them and most people report it being within cosc! The quality on the finishing is where you really feel the value though, especially with the bracelet. That blue too, man I’ve never seen a blue that deep, and it goes to navy/ black in dim light which is why I didn’t go with the black. The minute track is also a light grey so to not take away from the markers. Signed rose crown and 150m makes this one a pretty good explorer alternative, no date dials are just too clean!!!

Yeah thats exactly why. I looked into it and somehow thought it would be a good substitute for the rolex explorer 1 i‘m craving for.

The more i looked into it the more i started to feel ok with the hands.

I even bought a knock off hommage one through amazon and wore it for a day and send it back just to see how i like the size and hands.

In the end i confessed that ta just not what i wanted in the first place and that in the long run i just wouldn‘t be happy with that, i‘m just gonna have to wait it out and see....

Although i have to admit i feel stupid still going for the explorer since price/value finsihing, specs.... all speaks for the tudor.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:22:37 PM by pica »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: February 04, 2021, 05:03:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah thats exactly why. I looked into it and somehow thought it would be a good substitute for the rolex explorer 1 i‘m craving for.

The more i looked into it the more i started to feel ok with the hands.

I even bought a knock off hommage one through amazon and wore it for a day and send it back just to see how i like the size and hands.

In the end i confessed that ta just not what i wanted in the first place and that in the long run i just wouldn‘t be happy with that, i‘m just gonna have to wait it out and see....

Although i have to admit i feel stupid still going for the explorer since price/value finsihing, specs.... all speaks for the tudor.

I mean you're not the only one who has weighed up the two, I think most people probably go through that dilemma if they are saving for an explorer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ZDUngvTLk&t=497s
his conclusion was that the BB36 is probably better than the old explorers, but not better than the new ones. he also doesn't really like the bb36 dial, or finds something not quite right about it. What I will say (and he touched on it a bit too) is that you MUST buy the BB36 with the bracelet because the bracelet absolutely smokes anything else in this price range!
Also, I thought the explorer was also 150WR but it's not (only 100), so +1 for the BB

Real confessions time: I have never ever wanted an explorer, it just doesn't get my juices flowing, the only Rolex I even like is the air king 14000 series (@tzhangdox is also a fan from memory) if we're being honest so I didn't feel like I was ever compromising when buying this.

And while Rolex doesn't particularly excite me as a brand, I really like Tudor and a lot of the watches they've produced over the years (will probably still pick up a vintage Tudor sub at some point), hence why this was a no brainer for me. Sure it doesn't have in-house movements like the other black bays, but the divers are too big for my wrist anyway, especially now that 36mm is my most certainly my sweet spot when it comes to wrist real estate. I like the hands, because I like Tudor's history/ heritage!
But yeah as usual, buying a watch because you think it will scratch the itch/ substitute for a similar (but often more expensive) watch, never really works does it?

mini review time! The slab case and polished bezel make the watch look chunkier than it actually is which give it some tool-esque vibes. But it wears very sleek at only 10mm.
On the flip side though the polishing/ finishing means you can suit up with and not have it look out of place. Lume is giving Seiko a run for its money and I still can't enough of that blue. No AR coating on the crystal is a point of contention, but that's not just limited to the BB36, most Rolex/ tudors don't offer that option. peeps also complained about the crown sleeve which makes the crown looks like it's not screwed in, peeps are actually stretching for things to complain about if that's the only thing they can fault on this watch. It's honestly a non-issue for me
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:07:05 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #429 on: February 04, 2021, 06:23:53 PM »
Well this happened.  I was watching a Japanese tv show and they gave the bad guy's watch deliberate screen time, twice.  I guess i'm one of these guys now.  Find the remote, rewind, pause. 

"AQUA GEAR" 
"ALBA", may have also said automatic, and scuba 200/

What is this, I've never seen one.  Googa search gives me little other than it's probably a Seiko, and I can buy a totally trashed one for $78.

Second search...

Looked like this, without a pepsi bez
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #430 on: February 04, 2021, 06:36:54 PM »
Alba is one of Seiko's (seemingly unlimited number of) sub brands!
Props for pausing videos to see what watches people are wearing though, you are now truly a watch nerd!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: February 07, 2021, 09:13:57 PM »
Tried on a Tudor black bay 58 diver in blue and a 1990s 36mm Tudor sub this morning.

The black bay wears well for a 39, the blue on the dial is pretty subdued when compared to my bb36, honestly looked like it was faded. The in house movement with 70hr power reserve is tempting (as is 20mm lug width). Having said that, my bb36 is currently running at 1+ spd which is pretty ridics considering it’s not cosc certified.

Of course the star of the show was the 36mm sub though, wears really well! They aren’t cheap these days though and if you look at it on paper, while it does have a Rolex case, the links on the bracelt are folded which is on some Seiko 5 level LOL. I guess that’s how the kept the costs down when they originally dropped. Would look fire on a admiral grey Nato though!!

Saw some 36mm explorers, didn’t even bother: they’re 3 times what I paid for my bb36!

Also bounced my Oris because 17mm lugs are too annoying, never again!!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:38:12 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2021, 11:29:10 PM »
Also tried one of these hand wound GS in 37mm, really really nice watch!

https://www.thewatchbox.com/hk/en/shop/Grand-Seiko-9S-SBGW235.html

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2021, 01:44:55 AM »
Still drooling over that GS and wondering about a vintage Tudor sub, this (despite it being quartz) is a damn good substitute, especially at a 5th of the price though:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLWHIvVLWEG/?igshid=1613rnftmb1xq

Sold my Oris big crown pointer and 36mm seamaster as a package deal to make some funds but will be picking up another seamaster ASAP as I’m already having deep sellers remorse :(

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #434 on: February 25, 2021, 01:09:14 AM »
Are Seiko 5 the best "beginner" watches? Or is there some other options I should be looking at?

1. It's for my girlfriend's youngest brother who has a bad temper and breaks things often. So needs to be durable.

2. She doesn't want to spend much more than €200.

3. It needs to be pretty readily available new, not used, as this is a gift.

Later she will buy watches for her other brothers too which maybe the budget is a little higher. They are turning 20, 25, and 30 respectively this year.

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #435 on: February 25, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
Are Seiko 5 the best "beginner" watches? Or is there some other options I should be looking at?

1. It's for my girlfriend's youngest brother who has a bad temper and breaks things often. So needs to be durable.

Later she will buy watches for her other brothers too which maybe the budget is a little higher. They are turning 20, 25, and 30 respectively this year.

I'm still in the beginner price points myself. I have a Seiko 5 SNK793, really like it. Yes, that they are in the beginner of the automatic category. The other great entry level automatics are the Orient Bambinos.

But from the sound of the brother's temperment maybe go with a Timex or a G Shock and see how it goes.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #436 on: February 25, 2021, 01:22:34 PM »
Grabbed a casioak, excited for it to arrive. Be good for this family vaca to the beach

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #437 on: February 25, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »

I bought this Orient Ray II a couple months ago, and I have no complaints.  $125, and it looks good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AK5TR2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2021, 08:02:27 PM »
What type of watch "style" are we thinking though?
Seiko 5 is the first that comes to mind, but if it's divers you're after then @Joust Ostrich is right with recommending the orient ray ii (although the bracelet kinda sucks)
Pity you can't get citizen ny0040s (or Seiko SKXs) for what they actual used to retail for :(

I'm actually looking at a modded SKX 013 at the moment and it's nearly $600 ... what.in.the.actual.fuck
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:03:54 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #439 on: February 26, 2021, 12:10:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm still in the beginner price points myself. I have a Seiko 5 SNK793, really like it. Yes, that they are in the beginner of the automatic category. The other great entry level automatics are the Orient Bambinos.

But from the sound of the brother's temperment maybe go with a Timex or a G Shock and see how it goes.

Expand Quote

[close]

I bought this Orient Ray II a couple months ago, and I have no complaints.  $125, and it looks good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AK5TR2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What type of watch "style" are we thinking though?
Seiko 5 is the first that comes to mind, but if it's divers you're after then @Joust Ostrich is right with recommending the orient ray ii (although the bracelet kinda sucks)
Pity you can't get citizen ny0040s (or Seiko SKXs) for what they actual used to retail for :(

I'm actually looking at a modded SKX 013 at the moment and it's nearly $600 ... what.in.the.actual.fuck

Thanks guys for the input!

She definitely wants to get him and "adult" watch if that makes sense, so not a G-shock or even a Timex, however some of the Timex Autos might be a good option too. Something that will teach him to take care of things a little better, hopefully something he will care about.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -14
« Reply #440 on: February 26, 2021, 02:26:08 AM »
I really REALLY hate footage of people skating in watches, does anyone else feel this way?

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #441 on: February 26, 2021, 12:41:51 PM »
I really REALLY hate footage of people skating in watches, does anyone else feel this way?

Not in this thread.

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #442 on: February 26, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not in this thread.
Hahahhaa wrong crowd

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #443 on: February 28, 2021, 06:59:38 AM »
no, it’s gets me really intrigued, like did they specifically choose that piece to match their outfit, or is that their only watch? And if it is their only watch, why did they choose that particular one. Then I realize that most people don’t give a shit about these trivial things ...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #444 on: March 05, 2021, 06:37:09 AM »
This strap was originally intended for my BB36 but the bracelet is near impossible to remove so I stuck it on this and it’s pretty much a match made in heaven:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMBanwyLu8s/?igshid=uhfkyeuyyjs5
Never thought I’d pay that much money for a fabric strap but now I see what all the hype is about, way different to a regular nato, quality is bonkers!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: March 09, 2021, 03:49:44 PM »
Got a good deal/ couldn’t resist:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMN3w3iLWl4/?igshid=1gse2q5c8rtqw
I think I need help...

Skoldbergscones

« Reply #446 on: March 09, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: March 09, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »
Yeah, limited edition version of the NY0040 done with united arrows here in Japan. Really hard to get o/s but not so tricky on the ground here so I pounced.
There’s actually a blacked out/ lume dial version of the Tag professional 1000 (the blue watch I posted up there) that was worn in an old bond flick so I’m guessing that’s where they got the inspo from, gonna get so much wrist time over the summer

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2021, 05:12:49 AM »
Something skate related:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDpfUcXhoUP/?igshid=1p8bmrrneq7i4
I kept notice him wearing watches in all his clips, turns out he’s getting hooked up by swatch, always wonder if this gives them access to swatch group brands as well (I’m guessing no but one can dream right?)

Btw I think that watch looks atrocious and overly big but I ain’t mad at swatch for trying to get back in the game! They sponsor Nora too which is a smart move
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 09:46:19 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #449 on: March 12, 2021, 03:04:47 PM »
Yeah, limited edition version of the NY0040 done with united arrows here in Japan. Really hard to get o/s but not so tricky on the ground here so I pounced.
There’s actually a blacked out/ lume dial version of the Tag professional 1000 (the blue watch I posted up there) that was worn in an old bond flick so I’m guessing that’s where they got the inspo from, gonna get so much wrist time over the summer

damn. More pics? Without lume