Author Topic: Your skateboarding pet peeves?  (Read 28875 times)

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2023, 02:51:05 AM »
When people ask to refill their water bottle with mine.

what a strange thing to ask someone...i've never copped that
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

changed1

« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2023, 06:17:09 AM »
Expand Quote
When people ask to refill their water bottle with mine.
[close]

what a strange thing to ask someone...i've never copped that
Even weirder: it’s almost always some random I’ve never met before or someone i barely know. I get why it happens though.
I carry around a massive insulated water bottle so people always assume I have enough to go around. but my job is landscaping. Then with skating, walking my dog, adderall, and the gym i need all the water I can get and some mornings I don’t get a chance to refill it. So even through it’s a large jug, it’s still usually half full- empty but people always assume it’s full. I have one friend who refused for years to bring water to the session because he knew I always had some. I think he finally got sick about me being a dick to him about it and barely sharing so now he brings a tiny plastic water bottle but of course, he asks me to refill it twice a session even though he mostly sits around nowadays. The other day he was filming me for maybe 5 tries on something in exchange for some water and between every try he would take the biggest chugs I’ve ever seen. I had to stop trying or I wouldn’t have any water left for myself. Or he’ll just full on help himself to my water in my bag because he usually stores his phone and keys in my bag already. Shit drives me crazy but he’s a good dude and my main filmer so some things you just gotta deal with
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 07:27:43 AM by changed1 »

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2023, 04:50:26 PM »
haha, sounds like you've got a situation on your hands. might save you some anguish by getting a smaller water bottle to go skating with (not that you should have to). what a world...

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2023, 07:00:24 PM »
playing a game of skate to warm up and the other dude does every single possible annoying ass crossfoot/pretzel variation they can think of. i’ve never thought they looked good, never tried doing them, and i never will

If anyone does this shit or any circus type tricks I will skate away and never speak to them again

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2023, 11:45:40 PM »
watching someone try something they really can't do over and over.

this doesn't distress me, and i don't mean it in a snooty way at all, i guess it's just like empathetic pain and exertion i feel for them (maybe with them).

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 42
« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2023, 12:44:18 AM »
Someone skating my fresh board before me. Don’t know why, but it’s always been a bummer on the random occasions it’s happened
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2023, 04:30:02 PM »
One that used to really bother me, was when friends showed up way late to the session. Especially when most of us were already tired and ready to leave. Especially when it was their idea to schedule the session at said time.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »
One that used to really bother me, was when friends showed up way late to the session. Especially when most of us were already tired and ready to leave. Especially when it was their idea to schedule the session at said time.

I had a great variation of this happen to me once. Lined up to meet at say 2pm at the spot (which is like 40 minutes from my house). I get there at like a a quarter to 2, wait 'til like a quarter past 2 and then contact my friend. He's like, "Yeah, we went at 12 instead, we've already left, sorry man..." Skaters are fucked in the head, which actually segues into the best part - so I decided to skate by myself for like half an hour, had a super awkward slip and hit the back of my head, felt really weird, went to my car and just cried uncontrollably for like 20 minutes. Not because I was sad, or hurting, or pissed off, sometimes it just happens with head injuries, I guess the emotional centre of the brain is at the back there. Great day!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2023, 09:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a great variation of this happen to me once. Lined up to meet at say 2pm at the spot (which is like 40 minutes from my house). I get there at like a a quarter to 2, wait 'til like a quarter past 2 and then contact my friend. He's like, "Yeah, we went at 12 instead, we've already left, sorry man..." Skaters are fucked in the head, which actually segues into the best part - so I decided to skate by myself for like half an hour, had a super awkward slip and hit the back of my head, felt really weird, went to my car and just cried uncontrollably for like 20 minutes. Not because I was sad, or hurting, or pissed off, sometimes it just happens with head injuries, I guess the emotional centre of the brain is at the back there. Great day!
The way skateboarders will waste someone else's time is so strange it seems to almost never happen with anyone else in that way.  I've literally been in a full car with a group of skaters where 3 of them are texting people like yeah we'll come pick you up in a bit even tho it's never going to happen, there's already a full car. Or the whole we'll come meet you and just have no intentions of ever going. Not just back when we were teens this shit still happens with people in their 30s.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2023, 09:44:25 PM »
People need to stop complaining about the person did a trick I was trying thing. The only people I ever hear are shit anyway and are trying something easy. So nobody can board slide a flatbar or do a manual because you're taking all day. Fuck that grow up.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: August 03, 2023, 02:46:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The way skateboarders will waste someone else's time is so strange it seems to almost never happen with anyone else in that way.  I've literally been in a full car with a group of skaters where 3 of them are texting people like yeah we'll come pick you up in a bit even tho it's never going to happen, there's already a full car. Or the whole we'll come meet you and just have no intentions of ever going. Not just back when we were teens this shit still happens with people in their 30s.

Yeah, I can't think of any other group of people I've interacted with that behave in this way. And for the record, yeah, we're in all mid-late 20s when that story occurred and it's not like they're people I'm desperate to be friends with and I'm a kid who's not part of the clique. This is like my good, close friends who I've known closely and for a long time.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: August 03, 2023, 02:51:19 AM »
People need to stop complaining about the person did a trick I was trying thing. The only people I ever hear are shit anyway and are trying something easy. So nobody can board slide a flatbar or do a manual because you're taking all day. Fuck that grow up.

Totally agree on this too. I had a friend tell me I should stop doing bs feebles on a flat bar one day cause another guy had been trying to do it. It's like, what, so I can't warm up 'cause old mate can't do a feeble? Not sure if the guy was offended or not, but weird that it's a strong enough idea that somebody else would suggest you don't do it. I don't skate out of spite, I'm just riding my shit, doing my shit.

thetrashisright

• Rep: 2
« Reply #342 on: August 03, 2023, 06:07:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, I can't think of any other group of people I've interacted with that behave in this way. And for the record, yeah, we're in all mid-late 20s when that story occurred and it's not like they're people I'm desperate to be friends with and I'm a kid who's not part of the clique. This is like my good, close friends who I've known closely and for a long time.

The real what-the-fuck moment for me with this sort of friend group (thought we were actually tight) was when we decided to start playing Magic The Gathering, lol. We had all grown up playing it on and off and figured why not just have a regular 'poker night.' So I brought my big box with my decks and extras to swap in and would leave them where three of them lived together because I had to take public transit and the box was heavy. I wasn't there for a couple weeks and I came back to play and they didn't say anything, but they had taken all my decks and good cards and put them in their own decks. I kinda just peaced out of that friendship, I was over doing any lifting to keep it going after that slight. Also the same age range at the time and I wonder if they're still acting that way a decade later like people talk about here.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: August 19, 2023, 06:16:56 PM »
When people want you to try their skateboard. All setups feel like shit if they aren't mine...I assume it's the same for everyone. So you do your polite lap and it just sucks. Like, what am I suppose to feel - how your trucks are worn in different than mine? It's such a strange thing to me. I don't people to skate my board and I don't want to skate theirs.

Do any of you like skating other people's boards?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2023, 07:51:12 PM »
When people want you to try their skateboard. All setups feel like shit if they aren't mine...I assume it's the same for everyone. So you do your polite lap and it just sucks. Like, what am I suppose to feel - how your trucks are worn in different than mine? It's such a strange thing to me. I don't people to skate my board and I don't want to skate theirs.

I know I have been guilty of standing on or skating other people's boards in the past, but more so in recent years, it is usually when they offer to feel what this or that is like, eg when Dragon wheels came out, I had no intention of buying any, but was curious to hear what others had to say about them, and definitely interested to have a roll on them, just to feel the grip and slip factors on the skatelite halfpipe or slippery concrete.  Had a lap when someone offered their board and was satisfied I now knew what they felt like, even though the deck and trucks were not what I would usually ride.

As to people skating my board, sometimes it is not a big deal, more so for people I know and trust, but for random people or kids, it is usually a no, or at least I have a board there they can use that feels like / is set up like my usual board, without havingn to let them have a roll on my own board.  One time I had just set up a fresh deck, a kid has a go on it and takes the tail down two layers by first slipping out on the way off and then using the tail to stop as he came back.  Yeah I was pissed and was never going to let him have a go on my boards again, but I didn't show how mad I was at the time and just took it back before he turned around to have another lap.

If I have just set up something different, eg the new Radial Full wheels, then I had no worries that a few trusted friends have a lap on my board or take it for a good roll round the park and will let anyone have a go on it at the indoor park with the skatelite halfpipe too, but that whole complete I don't really hold too dear anyway.

Some others I know are so OCD about anyone riding or even touching their board, so if it comes flying out in my direction, I just stop it on my shoe and leave it where it is.  Not a worry when I know what they are like, but more often than not I am fixing or changing something on people's boards every other day, so it is a given I will stand on it to feel how they like their trucks, or whatever, but I don't ever stand on someone's brand new setup before them - that would just be weird - set it up and hand it over to them to feel it out first.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2023, 08:26:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I know I have been guilty of standing on or skating other people's boards in the past, but more so in recent years, it is usually when they offer to feel what this or that is like, eg when Dragon wheels came out, I had no intention of buying any, but was curious to hear what others had to say about them, and definitely interested to have a roll on them, just to feel the grip and slip factors on the skatelite halfpipe or slippery concrete.  Had a lap when someone offered their board and was satisfied I now knew what they felt like, even though the deck and trucks were not what I would usually ride.

As to people skating my board, sometimes it is not a big deal, more so for people I know and trust, but for random people or kids, it is usually a no, or at least I have a board there they can use that feels like / is set up like my usual board, without havingn to let them have a roll on my own board.  One time I had just set up a fresh deck, a kid has a go on it and takes the tail down two layers by first slipping out on the way off and then using the tail to stop as he came back.  Yeah I was pissed and was never going to let him have a go on my boards again, but I didn't show how mad I was at the time and just took it back before he turned around to have another lap.

If I have just set up something different, eg the new Radial Full wheels, then I had no worries that a few trusted friends have a lap on my board or take it for a good roll round the park and will let anyone have a go on it at the indoor park with the skatelite halfpipe too, but that whole complete I don't really hold too dear anyway.

Some others I know are so OCD about anyone riding or even touching their board, so if it comes flying out in my direction, I just stop it on my shoe and leave it where it is.  Not a worry when I know what they are like, but more often than not I am fixing or changing something on people's boards every other day, so it is a given I will stand on it to feel how they like their trucks, or whatever, but I don't ever stand on someone's brand new setup before them - that would just be weird - set it up and hand it over to them to feel it out first.

I don't mind myself being hypocritical about this - you raise a good point regarding the dragons. I did, with wanting, skate someone's board who had dragons a few months ago - but then I realised I wasn't really experiencing the wheels as intended because I was also experiencing their deck and their trucks...

If a kid is cool and has a genuine want to skate, I will let them skate my board. There are sometimes where people who I know (who I wouldn't really consider my good friends) just like skate your board when you're sitting down. That's crossing a barrier for me. I usually just get up and say I need my board back and keep skating. I could be more upfront I guess, but I'm insecure and don't want to explain myself.

changed1

« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2023, 08:15:27 AM »
Riding other peoples boards has always been unpleasant for me because I’ve only met 1 other person who skates their trucks as loose as mine. And people always have heavy ass decks and big wheels for some reason. Which makes doing tricks 10x harder for me.

People ask to skate my deck all the time and I always say no unless we’re super close. In highschool there was this wack kid who would tag along with friends I was teaching to skate. He’d always ask to try Ollie’s on my board because he didn’t have one, but he’d purposely bail and stomp his foot down as hard as possible to try to snap my board or something (even though he swore that’s not what he was trying). Bitch ass could never snap it and I only let him ride my board like twice because of that and he never was invited on any real sessions. Seriously the worst kid I’ve ever met (I have a million other wack stories about him) but he got his karma x10 a few years later after he crossed the line when messing with a friend. My friend ruined his life basically but he totally deserved it.
That guy is the main reason I never give my board out.

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2023, 12:50:49 PM »
Feel like it’s almost always lame to hit on women/girl skaters at the park. Just let them skate..

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2023, 03:01:33 AM »
Seriously the worst kid I’ve ever met (I have a million other wack stories about him) but he got his karma x10 a few years later after he crossed the line when messing with a friend. My friend ruined his life basically but he totally deserved it.

i don't wish anything shitty on anyone really, but my interest is piqued. what happened?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2023, 04:11:14 PM »
People having too much fun really bums me out. We all fenced in, in the sk8 park we gotta be angry.

Grown men skating street is a drag too. It’s like grow up. What kind of example are you setting for the kids? You’re still not over teenage rebellion and property damage? Go to skate jail and stay inside the fence for fucksake.

110% peeved
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

changed1

« Reply #350 on: August 26, 2023, 01:41:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Seriously the worst kid I’ve ever met (I have a million other wack stories about him) but he got his karma x10 a few years later after he crossed the line when messing with a friend. My friend ruined his life basically but he totally deserved it.
[close]

i don't wish anything shitty on anyone really, but my interest is piqued. what happened?
Dickhead outed my friend to the school so we told everyone his darkest secrets. Then years later I ended up dating his best friends sister so I told her brother those secrets too

When you’re skating with friends and setting up a new board so you’re rushing through it, then you finish and realize you put a truck on backwards.

There’s a new trend at my local where there always seems to be a different kate+8 type of family who show up and set up their spot in the very middle of the park. They always bring half their garage too- 5 bikes, 10 scooters, 3 skateboards, a few random toys, a picnic blanket, and 2 foldable chairs. All strewn about the middle of the park.
A few years ago parents would atleast set up on the side of the park but now these massive Mormon families are completely oblivious and they get mad if you ask them to move their stuff slightly. These people are always there in the middle of the day too right after I get off work but while school is still in session. Do these kids not go to school or something? Always reminds me of Chitty Chitty bang bang. Even worse the kids don’t use the features. They might roll in to a bank once or twice before playing tag or messing around with the toys. The worst is when they sit at the bottom of the mini bowl pushing around the flat not even using the transition. Why cant they do that in the street or parking lot like the rest of us did growing up? All while the parents are on their phone or laptop not paying attention to their kids

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2023, 10:56:10 AM »
Black hardware bolts being so worn that the heads turn silver. Don't like silver bolts.

pool coping

• Rep: -64
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2023, 01:08:51 PM »
roll-ins in bowls or transition in general. almost always it just kills the flow of a ramp by having a section that you can't grind through and if you end up in that zone you have to slow down and awkwardly carve below the roll-in to navigate it. if you can't fuckin drop in to the bowl you shouldn't be there in the first place, and in my experience i get way more speed from rolling in over the coping than pumping down a roll-in.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2023, 12:32:13 AM »
roll-ins in bowls or transition in general. almost always it just kills the flow of a ramp by having a section that you can't grind through and if you end up in that zone you have to slow down and awkwardly carve below the roll-in to navigate it.

you're supposed to gap over it though, definitely not turn under it.

pool coping

• Rep: -64
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2023, 06:27:37 PM »
Expand Quote
roll-ins in bowls or transition in general. almost always it just kills the flow of a ramp by having a section that you can't grind through and if you end up in that zone you have to slow down and awkwardly carve below the roll-in to navigate it.
[close]

okay but i'm a regular dude and i can't just gap over roll-ins casually like that lol

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 33
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2023, 10:14:09 PM »

My good friends set up almost always feels like what I should be riding

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2023, 08:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

okay but i'm a regular dude and i can't just gap over roll-ins casually like that lol

In this modern life, it is war for us regular dudes who are forced to awkwardly carve below roll ins
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2023, 11:36:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

In this modern life, it is war for us regular dudes who are forced to awkwardly carve below roll ins

Truth.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 190
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #358 on: October 19, 2023, 10:49:48 PM »

this has to be the most irritating thing I can think of. Except the other way around. I don’t like when people ask to try my board. It actually pisses me off. I can confidently say In 23 years of skating, I’ve never asked someone if I could try their board.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I weigh maybe 120lbs. Every person I skate with, weighs well over that, so I’m convinced the minute they step on my board to try it out, my trucks are fucked from that point on, and the turn will never be the same. That, and the sound of the tail just getting razor tailed up because someone wanted to see how my board rides.

I remember about a year ago, I decided I’m done letting people try my board out. It got kind of uncomfortable at the park when I had to tell dude “nah”. I’m sure I would’ve sounded like a psychopath if I would’ve explained it to him, like I just did on here. 🤣
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #359 on: October 22, 2023, 08:30:54 AM »
i know....they want to share their experience with you...it's almost as painful as listening....