Author Topic: Astrology and Skateboarding  (Read 16575 times)

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • Jamu Gost
Re: Astrology and Skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2020, 09:17:29 AM »
I still can't accept astrology. It's too abstract for me/havn't yet had the patience for it.

That being said i'm a stereotypical Pisces so i'm not one to write it off either.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2020, 09:20:23 AM »
Yep, dumpster fire in less than an hour just like that guy said

stoneyhawk

• Rep: 8
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 09:20:58 AM »
im a triple libra (moon, sun, rising) and am pretty good at manuals so i guess i just fetishize balance  ;D

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »
Digital Rasta 100% GAY confirmed

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 59
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 09:30:31 AM »
100% GAY

I love leather bars, especially if they've got alot of raw wood decor inside. I also like to say raw wood, probAbly just a Libra thing.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Digital Rasta

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »
I still can't accept astrology. It's too abstract for me/havn't yet had the patience for it.

That being said i'm a stereotypical Pisces so i'm not one to write it off either.
I wish more people had the maturity to admit this other than just dismiss it as pseudoscience when no one is claiming it is science. But instead they try to cool-guy people who believe in it and look for high ground to look down from. It's older than Judaism or Christianity. Do these guys really think a belief in something could persist for that long without having some kind of merit to it? Ancient cultures were smarter than modern people give them credit for

Glurmpz

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
I've always felt that, in some part, belief in astrology is a way of not taking responsibility for your own actions. "Ohhhh, I'm a ______, that's why I can never show up on time. We're notoriously bad at keeping schedules.". It can also be a crutch, like religion, for people who are scared of the harsh realities of life. "I for sure would have won that scholarship if Jupiter wasn't in ________ and Mars was more_______. The stars were aligned for me to fail.". Or "Well you should have known not to start an argument with me tonight, babe - I'm a Gemini. Pluto is in ______ and it's a full moon so I'm really on edge!". "How about you stop believing in bullshit because it doesn't work as an excuse when you're the only one who believes it?!".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:15:59 AM by Glurmpz »

Glurmpz

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Do these guys really think a belief in something could persist for that long without having some kind of merit to it?

The merit it has is comfort for the weak minded. That's why it's still around. Something fantastical to believe in instead of the harsh realities of the real world.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 09:46:18 AM »
Nobody believes in it? Have you ever met a woman in real life?

Glurmpz

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »

Who said that? Not me. Unfortunately about 1/4 of westerners believe in astrology to some degree.

Honestly, things like astrology make me understand more why conmen exist. There's endless amounts of people who are very easily fooled if you just tell them things they want to hear. Not only that, those gullible people tend to make themselves fairly obvious, so they become clear targets for conmen and manipulators.

Be careful out there.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
I'm a libra with the same birthday (September 30) as T-Pain, Virgil Abloh, and Ezra Miller. Have no clue how it would relate to skating.

If someone could explain to me how constellations and birthdate would impact my personality and preferences I would believe it more. I do like reading about some of it though, and its one of the more harmless things to be tribal about.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
Submitted for your zodiac consideration.

“Larry; and I’m a Cancer...”

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Digital Rasta

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2020, 10:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Who said that? Not me.
it doesn't work as an excuse when you're the only one who believes it.
You sound like an Incel with a Micropenis. I shouldn't expect you to understand something with subtlety and nuance
Be careful out there.
I'll be fine, you're the asshole with the superiority complex

Glurmpz

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2020, 10:15:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Who said that? Not me.
[close]
Expand Quote
it doesn't work as an excuse when you're the only one who believes it.
[close]

Expand Quote
Be careful out there.
[close]

Oh, that's my bad for not also putting quotations around my words there so you would understand that was me responding to the other person in the hypothetical, meaning the only person out of the two people arguing. Fixed it.

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 818
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »
Submitted for your zodiac consideration.

“Larry; and I’m a Cancer...”

I love this song
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2020, 10:20:10 AM »
What the fuck are you blathering on about now you Autistic mouth breathing neck beard? Take the L and go make your own Skeptics Only thread where you can shit on other peoples beliefs to your heart's content

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
That's not how slap works. It's battle royale in this board. Texas death match style.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »
Nice backtrack and frantically edited post. Notice how he never denied being an Incel or confirmed he has ever made it past 'Hello' with a real life woman

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Interesting to a degree, but most of this shit just goes right over my head. My wife tries to talk to me about it, but I guess my disinterest prevents me from wanting to understand.
To contribute, though; my birthday is 8/11. Same as Justin Henry, Hulk Hogan (fuck that racist mf), Chris Hemsworth, Joe Rogan (fuck him, too), and Steve Wozniak.
I don't know of any other AMs or Pros with whom I share a birthday, though.
[close]

At least you’ve got this goin for you.

Any fellow libra skaters out there?

Edit - I predict this thread to be a dumpster fire within the hour

Shalom my fellow Libra. I just looked it up and according to this app I’m Libra Sun, Libra Moon, Libra Rising. I’m not sure exactly what that means.

I'm a libra with the same birthday (September 30) as T-Pain, Virgil Abloh, and Ezra Miller. Have no clue how it would relate to skating.

If someone could explain to me how constellations and birthdate would impact my personality and preferences I would believe it more. I do like reading about some of it though, and its one of the more harmless things to be tribal about.

Woah same birthday!

im a triple libra (moon, sun, rising) and am pretty good at manuals so i guess i just fetishize balance  ;D

Damn it’s getting Libra as fuck in here.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

RENTSTRIKE

• Rep: 8
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »
Interesting to a degree, but most of this shit just goes right over my head. My wife tries to talk to me about it, but I guess my disinterest prevents me from wanting to understand.
To contribute, though; my birthday is 8/11. Same as Justin Henry, Hulk Hogan (fuck that racist mf), Chris Hemsworth, Joe Rogan (fuck him, too), and Steve Wozniak.

My birthday is 8/9 -- Leo's represent!!

In reality, I've never really fucked with astrology because I never felt like I fit the character descriptions I've read about Leo's -- doesn't really seem to fit my personality, as I'm pretty reserved and place a lot of personal value in modesty and humility. The typical Leo character description sounds like a laundry list of characteristics I really dislike in other people (big ego, ostentatiousness, vanity, etc.).

Maybe that's just the leo in me talking though, lol  ::)

Digital Rasta

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

At least you’ve got this goin for you.

Any fellow libra skaters out there?

Edit - I predict this thread to be a dumpster fire within the hour
[close]

Shalom my fellow Libra. I just looked it up and according to this app I’m Libra Sun, Libra Moon, Libra Rising. I’m not sure exactly what that means.
When people say 'I'm a Libra' they are talking about their Sun sign. The Ascendant (the horizon) Sun, Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, and to a lesser extent the outer planets, all have an influence on the personality. All celestial bodies are aspected through different signs at the moment of a human being's birth. Having the same sign in the Sun, Moon and Ascendant is very rare, I am also a triple Sagittarius myself. The Ascendant rules what you look like, the Sun is your ego and your outward personality, actions and behaviour. The Moon represents what is hidden, your dreams, secret desires, emotions and the part of yourself you do not consciously show to others. Having all three in the same sign means your appearance, your inner self and your outward ego are all more or less in alignment.

Glurmpz

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2020, 10:39:52 AM »
Nice backtrack and frantically edited post. Notice how he never denied being an Incel or confirmed he has ever made it past 'Hello' with a real life woman

Oh c'mon, I obviously just forgot the quotation marks - hence why my next post was acknowledging that 1/4 of westerners believe in astrology to some degree. I was being honest about my typo. I hate making typos. I noted that I fixed my post, not trying to hide my mistake.

I'm not at all bothered by a dude who believes in astrology making claims about my ability to pull chicks, so that's why I didn't address your dumbass remarks. Your comment stemmed from my typo anyway, so it's irrelevant. Of course I've known women who believe in astrology.

I'm going skating now. Skateboarding is real.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »
Astrology is probably one of my biggest pet peeves, but I try really hard to not get on ppl’s faces about it. I am much more reliant on emotions and/or logic (not mutually exclusive!) in my life, while spirituality lies at the frontiers of my perception of the universe.

DR, what are the merits you see for Astrology? A long history does not necessarily provide legitimacy—not like Abrahamic religions are a gold standard. Then again, religions attempt to enforce their own moral guidance, but I fail to see the “benefits” of Astrology other than being fun and interesting for some people, which is totally fine.

Why do you think it’s not trying to present itself as science? It absolutely uses pseudo-astronomy to categorize people and prescribe behaviors. Other than its societal context, I hate the fact that I’m being “told about myself.” I’m my own person, my DOB shouldn’t have any bearing on my significant, formative experiences, and I think it is detrimental to individuality. Yet, conversely, it has a very interesting spot in people’s identities as well.

In any case (as opinionated as I might be) I’m just trying to discuss, not out to attack anyone.

I share a bday with Obama which I think is preeettyyy cool hahah.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
Scorpi-yo, I'm a Scorpio. 11/6. Any pro skaters born that same day? I feel like Scorpios are less likely to be skateboarders.

Only famous folks I know with my same birthday are John Phillip Sousa (old timey American composer famous for his military marches), James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, and Ethan Hawke.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Digital Rasta

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
1/4 of westerners believe in astrology to some degree
It's way more than that. Not to mention there are separate astrology systems for China, India, Native Americans and others. It's a worldwide phenomenon that spans nearly every ancient culture and is older than recorded history. It's just a bunch of fantasy horse shit though AMIRITE? You champions of true science and logic
Of course I've known women who believe in astrology.
Do you jump in their faces and take a hot steaming dump on them for believing in it? Probably not in real life huh

30somethinghasbeen

• Rep: -4
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »
I've been told not to believe a Taurus...they're full of bull. 

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »
Virgo here-should be too practical to skate but here I am.  Shared birthday with Beyonce and Ione Skye. 

Banned from the room

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 11:06:59 AM »
I'm a cancer.

I used to not ever believe in it until people who are really into it can call it.

If you read the traits of is most definitely me.

It hurts

Digital Rasta

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »
Astrology is probably one of my biggest pet peeves, but I try really hard to not get on ppl’s faces about it. I am much more reliant on emotions and/or logic (not mutually exclusive!) in my life, while spirituality lies at the frontiers of my perception of the universe.

DR, what are the merits you see for Astrology? A long history does not necessarily provide legitimacy—not like Abrahamic religions are a gold standard. Then again, religions attempt to enforce their own moral guidance, but I fail to see the “benefits” of Astrology other than being fun and interesting for some people, which is totally fine.

Why do you think it’s not trying to present itself as science? It absolutely uses pseudo-astronomy to categorize people and prescribe behaviors. Other than its societal context, I hate the fact that I’m being “told about myself.” I’m my own person, my DOB shouldn’t have any bearing on my significant, formative experiences, and I think it is detrimental to individuality. Yet, conversely, it has a very interesting spot in people’s identities as well.

In any case (as opinionated as I might be) I’m just trying to discuss, not out to attack anyone.

I share a bday with Obama which I think is preeettyyy cool hahah.

Bold 1: This is a remarkably self-aware and introspective statement to make. Shalom

Bold 2: Like you said, it's a fun and interesting topic and that's enough merit on its own. Some people are threatened by it obviously but it's usually because they read something about themselves or heard something that they didn't want to read or hear. Nobody likes being told their flaws and weaknesses. It helped me to learn more about myself and you have to take the bad with the good.

Bold 3: I don't know anyone who considers it a science. It is pre-science or proto-science if you insist on categorizing it with those terms. I don't follow anybody who claims it is an actual science in modern terms. I'm sure there are people who do but I know there's a lot of fakers and charlatans in the world, in every field of study and school of thought of every kind

Pine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2020, 11:21:33 AM »
Im a Virgo, August 29th. Shared birthday with Michael Jackson and as far as pro skaters....Colin McKay, Mikey Taylor, and Adam Dyet.