Author Topic: the skate photography thread  (Read 17485 times)

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
Re: the skate photography thread
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »
Something recent.Seoul, South Korea
f5.0 70mm using 2 strobes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUNVlb_paIw/?hl=en
@Simcity thats a sick one man! i started following you on insta your photos are really good. Where did you place the strobes for this one?

Simcity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2021, 06:20:21 AM »
Cheers! Appreciate it. One in the front and one right behind him to the left, just outside the frame. Under exposed and let the strobes hit the action. Used hypersync to make my life easy haha.. 1/2500.

Tempting to buy one more strobe and a 70-200 but money money money and skate photography doesn't really pay and I'm not shooting as much as I want to.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2021, 09:21:27 AM »
This shit is wild. No photo credit tho.  >:(  I messaged Tony and asked him to tell Virgil to add it and... send me a box!!! (so I can sell that shit and pay rent haha) He obviously just sceenshot this or something, hence the kinda low quality.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXc7gLl6-d/

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
This shit is wild. No photo credit tho.  >:(  I messaged Tony and asked him to tell Virgil to add it and... send me a box!!! (so I can sell that shit and pay rent haha) He obviously just sceenshot this or something, hence the kinda low quality.

hit it with a copyright claim if he doesnt get you a box

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2021, 09:42:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
hit it with a copyright claim if he doesnt get you a box

No doubt! He wised up and added it thankfully, haha. I don't even want to think about what LV pays people who officially shoot for them. :o

Simcity

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2021, 04:38:01 PM »
You are right forcing it. Big brand like that should definitely be producing the goods.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »
Alright, here's a little quiz for you: Find the skater!

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

T4T

• Rep: 8
  • fake and lame
    • My Youtube avatar image
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2021, 04:34:43 AM »

Took me a second, that's pretty sick dude
schoolteachers can get paid $100k when they get a collab with dragonball

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2021, 05:02:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Took me a second, that's pretty sick dude

Cheers brah, I was annoyed that the lady was in the way but when I looked closer at the clip (it's a still from a clip) I saw the motion in the waiting room window.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
One from the other day in Miami
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW0404rr_Zh/

arewedeadyet

• Rep: 42
    • Video*Days avatar image
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2022, 07:07:29 AM »
2 Photos we shot back in October 2021

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUz5S40gng3/

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 04:16:25 PM by gsosa »

gsosa

• SLAP Pal

Simcity

« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2022, 01:51:23 AM »
Some photos from the last few months. Havent shot anything recently. Considering a one off photo zine. Not sure yet though. Feel free to add thoughts /advice

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXVm-HtFYEu/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXTQPQ4lHUH/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXc3mlal_ww/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW9kZFzBV7P/

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:58:49 AM by Simcity »

Simcity

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:28 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYuHFM8vtLM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Pretty good. Pity about the dude on the right side. Kinda takes away the focus from the skater a bit. You are using flashes right? Maybe I'd underexpose the shot a bit more and using the flashes to make the skater pop out more. Overall though, its sick

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2022, 08:40:34 AM »

Pretty good. Pity about the dude on the right side. Kinda takes away the focus from the skater a bit. You are using flashes right? Maybe I'd underexpose the shot a bit more and using the flashes to make the skater pop out more. Overall though, its sick
Hey thanks for the feedback @Simcity. Yeah I'm using a single flash for this one, I'm still pretty new at shooting skating with flashes so any kind of feedback/tips are very welcome. Especially from someone like you who is pretty damn good at shooting with flashes. Love this last batch of photos you posted.

Simcity

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2022, 03:32:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hey thanks for the feedback @Simcity. Yeah I'm using a single flash for this one, I'm still pretty new at shooting skating with flashes so any kind of feedback/tips are very welcome. Especially from someone like you who is pretty damn good at shooting with flashes. Love this last batch of photos you posted.

Cheers! Still learning myself . Flash photography is tricky. Id recommend 2 if you can afford it. Hypersync is a life saver. Shooting with the normal flash sync speed will make you want to pull your hair out at times haha...

Simcity

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2022, 04:58:10 AM »
Also there are a lot of good vids on youtube worth watching

https://youtu.be/LIYT5C3MHGY

the in focus series on ride channel also

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2022, 07:28:19 AM »
The basics for shooting skate shots with strobes is to underexpose the ambient light by a stop or two using your aperture and then use your strobes to expose the skater properly at the iso & fstop your camera is set to.

So, roll up to the spot and set your camera's iso and then the shutter speed to your camera's sync speed (1/250th usually if you're using a 35mm slr type).  Take a meter reading using the camera's own reflective meter or a hand-held incident meter.  Say you get the following: iso100, 1/250th & f8 for a 'properly' exposed shot of the spot.  Now close down your aperture to f11 or f16 or more depending on how dark you want the spot to look.  Of course, if you don't want to use such a small aperture then bump up your iso so you can use a larger aperture.

Next, position your strobes and power them up to expose the skater properly at f11 or f16 or whatever f-stop you have your camera set to.  Having a hand-held incident/flash meter helps get this done much quicker than chimping away in-camera but that works too.

It's all a juggling act because you are trying to overcome the ambient light at the spot with the strobes but as you power your strobes up to match the exposure, the flash duration lengthens.  A short flash duration is what freezes the skater in the shot without any blurring from their movement.  So you need to find out what the t0.1 (t0.5 will do in a pinch) measurements of your strobe(s) are at each power setting and don't power your strobes up beyond where t0.1 is longer than 1/1000 of a second. 

If you find that you have to power up your strobe past the point where the flash won't 'freeze' the skater you'll need to add more strobes to the shot or wait till the ambient light starts to fade at the spot. 

I haven't shot skating in about 16 years so I may be a bit rusty but the above is how I used to shoot

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhLvhuKB9bs/  Marginal Way in 2006 or so.  Shitty flatbed scan of a 35mm slide.

Simcity

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2022, 04:08:18 PM »
Good info. Dealing with ambient light on a sunny day will drive you insane especially when you think you got the flash to subject distance down but there is still motion blur due to the ambient light. Since I started using hypersync (meaning able to shoot past your cameras usual 1/250 sync speed, able to shoot up to 1/4000 ), definitely less headaches. It does a have a different look to it though.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2022, 09:38:53 PM »
Just recently bought a camera and started taking skate photos a few months ago. These are some of the first ones I've taken. I only have a fisheye lens at the moment, so all of my photos are fisheye.

Wallride

fs bluntslide

bs tailslide

heelflip

bs lipslide

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »
The basics for shooting skate shots with strobes is to underexpose the ambient light by a stop or two using your aperture and then use your strobes to expose the skater properly at the iso & fstop your camera is set to.

So, roll up to the spot and set your camera's iso and then the shutter speed to your camera's sync speed (1/250th usually if you're using a 35mm slr type).  Take a meter reading using the camera's own reflective meter or a hand-held incident meter.  Say you get the following: iso100, 1/250th & f8 for a 'properly' exposed shot of the spot.  Now close down your aperture to f11 or f16 or more depending on how dark you want the spot to look.  Of course, if you don't want to use such a small aperture then bump up your iso so you can use a larger aperture.

Next, position your strobes and power them up to expose the skater properly at f11 or f16 or whatever f-stop you have your camera set to.  Having a hand-held incident/flash meter helps get this done much quicker than chimping away in-camera but that works too.

It's all a juggling act because you are trying to overcome the ambient light at the spot with the strobes but as you power your strobes up to match the exposure, the flash duration lengthens.  A short flash duration is what freezes the skater in the shot without any blurring from their movement.  So you need to find out what the t0.1 (t0.5 will do in a pinch) measurements of your strobe(s) are at each power setting and don't power your strobes up beyond where t0.1 is longer than 1/1000 of a second. 

If you find that you have to power up your strobe past the point where the flash won't 'freeze' the skater you'll need to add more strobes to the shot or wait till the ambient light starts to fade at the spot. 

I haven't shot skating in about 16 years so I may be a bit rusty but the above is how I used to shoot

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhLvhuKB9bs/  Marginal Way in 2006 or so.  Shitty flatbed scan of a 35mm slide.
Thanks for the tips @wrinkletusk and @Simcity shooting with flashes can be hella tricky but makes a photo that much richer when done properly. Will be posting more photos as I keep going at it!

@Sidewalk Funk. those are pretty sick for having started not too long ago! Keep going!

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2022, 01:09:17 PM »
This is an oldie but goodie from when I was living in Chile.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CasgMgxv2g6/

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »
Cause of Covid, rainy winter and a newborn child I only shot two pics in the last few months. Hello Decathlon flat rail hahaha. Fuji x pro3 with the samyang fisheye, 2 cheap yungnuo flashes.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2022, 08:11:15 AM »
Nice to see so many Fuji xt users here! just got a xt3 in addition to my lil Ricoh gr3. How do you guys setup the af-c tracking when doing photos/filming?

Gonna share some photos some day I promise, just feeling a lil hesitant as I just started photography about a year ago and don't really know what I'm doing

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2022, 05:38:43 AM »
Nice pics. What fisheye are you using?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots