Author Topic: the skate photography thread  (Read 17488 times)

Simcity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: the skate photography thread
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2022, 02:56:29 AM »
Sick stuff Ziggy! I'm a big fan of that Robbin guy's skating.

Ended up buying a 70-200 f4. Going to buy another flash. Here are some new photos. Def getting jaded on insta. Very tempted to create a one off zine or once a year mag. Insta seems like such a waste of time

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcqGObSps60/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbkU6zcpU4Q/

Not the gnarliest tricks. Mainly was testing out the new lens
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 03:53:18 PM by Simcity »

Simcity

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2022, 06:19:34 AM »
Whenever I look at Jake Darwen’s ,Oliver Barton’s photos, it just blows my mind

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDC1Au4HgeO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Everything is so perfect

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2022, 10:18:30 AM »
Got the first time out in 5 months to skate street and got a quick bluntslide with a minimal set-up and no light stands. Fuji xpro 3 with 8mm samyang and 2 speedlights that I didn’t place well haha.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcuPH_kNoNs/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

dakotalofton

• Nothing I say you will like
    • YOUTUBE avatar image
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2022, 05:03:12 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdHAYrBp6Gp/

My most recent photo shot on a 5d Mark ii w/ 75-300 mm F1.5 Canon
****IF YOU DON'T FUCK WITH BRONZE56K YOU WHACK AS FUCK****

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2022, 09:24:49 PM »
Don't know why I've never posted here before. Rad stuff form everyone. Shot out to Matze too for always posting cool stuff on IG.

Just wanted to share some stuff. Last year I had a 6 month hiatus from work. So when Pier 7 opened up, I actually would just show up to take random photos. I shot was with a 700-200mm lens as if I was watching a surf event. Normally I would be across the street or on the island shooting toward the pier which gave me a cool compression of the bridge. Through a couple sessions, I was able to meet couple of pros from Chico, Rob G, Rodrigo Peterson and more and moved around more to get a better shot. All the photos were shot in natural light and heavily edited with Lightroom and Photoshop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUO7GT_Liu0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVmAcBjPjjH/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWH0rS_r2t_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWcAtmkv1mj/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWeOZPRv2iI/

On a couple of occasions, I would shoot and actually shot Kevin Braun without even knowing who he was. Month back, 19th Avenue on IG asked if they can use my photos for his Pier 7 part. I know it's not the same as getting printed in Thrasher but it is something.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWtMLKsvOkV/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV_455Hpqit/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOjeoFGZIg
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 09:32:03 PM by Fongstarr. »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2022, 09:30:55 PM »
So general question for you guys. Last week, Chico hit me up to shoot some photos for his mini cruiser he is releasing. Kind of intimidating since I actually only shoot skate stuff for fun but couldn't pass it up.

He wanted to do a wallride which seemed easy enough. I used a Godox strobe AD300 which isn't super powerful hence the photo since it doesn't look strobed. I shot it at 1/2000 of a second at like f/5-f/6 or something like that noticed almost all my shots were blurry. Later, I did notice my VR on my lens was on. Was that causing my shots to be blurry or was it cause I only had one strobe and needed to shoot at a faster shutter? I've only used strobes for portrait work and not action.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdPBxhavlTI/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdM6Kr5r6Vg/
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2022, 12:34:04 AM »
If you were shooting at 2000th of a second that should be fast enough to freeze any motion blur, especially if a flash was used as well.

Do you mean sharp as in capturing the action or sharp as in out of focus? The shots you posted look pretty sharp to me.

What's VR (on your lens)?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2022, 08:34:02 AM »
If you were shooting at 2000th of a second that should be fast enough to freeze any motion blur, especially if a flash was used as well.

Do you mean sharp as in capturing the action or sharp as in out of focus? The shots you posted look pretty sharp to me.

I meant to say IS (Image Stabilizer). I think my Tamron calls it VR and get it mixed up. It is known to turn that off when you shoot flash or is that fine?

The ones posted were the ones I got clear. I think out of say 40 shots, about 5 were okay. Even the one I posted for IG that was wide angle was a little blurry if you pixel peep but from a far, it is fine. Just wondered what I was doing wrong.

Another lens question for people that might know. I have a Canon 5D Mark 3 and want to get a fisheye. I know Canon has the old faithful 15mm f/2.8 but also has the L-lens with the 8-15mm f/4. From my understanding, I think the 8-15mm can go to about 12mm on a full frame before the corners start to show. Taking out the factor of money, which lens would be the better fit for skating? Is it better to have a wider fisheye or do skate photos start getting pretty goofy. Usually I am partial to lenses that have a lower f-stop but if you are shooting flash, I guess that doesn't matter since you want the pens to be more closed.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 08:43:32 AM by Fongstarr. »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2022, 10:34:46 AM »
There is also sigma 15mm that you might consider. I have the canon 15mm and it‘s doing the job (especially for analog photography)

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2022, 11:33:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I meant to say IS (Image Stabilizer). I think my Tamron calls it VR and get it mixed up. It is known to turn that off when you shoot flash or is that fine?

The ones posted were the ones I got clear. I think out of say 40 shots, about 5 were okay. Even the one I posted for IG that was wide angle was a little blurry if you pixel peep but from a far, it is fine. Just wondered what I was doing wrong.

Another lens question for people that might know. I have a Canon 5D Mark 3 and want to get a fisheye. I know Canon has the old faithful 15mm f/2.8 but also has the L-lens with the 8-15mm f/4. From my understanding, I think the 8-15mm can go to about 12mm on a full frame before the corners start to show. Taking out the factor of money, which lens would be the better fit for skating? Is it better to have a wider fisheye or do skate photos start getting pretty goofy. Usually I am partial to lenses that have a lower f-stop but if you are shooting flash, I guess that doesn't matter since you want the pens to be more closed.

I don't turn IS off on my lens (24-105) and have never read anything about it impacting sharpness. I guess on a longer lens it could have more pronounced effects?

I've got the 8-15mm canon fisheye and love it. It's a really fun lens and wish i got one years ago after using wide angle lenses most of the life. As soon as you start dropping below 15mm you start to see a little vignetting. I pretty much only shoot at 15mm but I know others (ie Matt Price) go below that and then likely crop. Fisheye can look a bit funny sometimes cropped however so I try not to do it unless necessary.

F4 on the fisheye is fine with me. I often shoot a low shutter speed with flash so am often going in the other direction.

I think from memory the 8-15mm is supposed to be a bit sharper and maybe a shorter minimum focus distance than the fixed 15mm. I was initially trying to get a 15mm but kept missing auctions on ebay so ended up with a new 8-15mm and am very happy with it.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2022, 09:24:56 AM »
I think I'll just gun for the Canon 15mm fisheye. With people moving over to mirrorless cameras, DSLR cameras and lenses have actually take a dip in price compared to before.

What about off flash setups and how you position the flashes. I know it depends on the shot, sun, composition, position of the skater etc but I am always sort of confused where to setup my flashes. Since I only have a single strobe, I tend to shoot the flash toward the skaters face. I know with other flashes, people do rim lights but I was wondering if there was a certain setup that always makes sense for overall scenarios.

]
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2022, 09:56:13 AM »
Yo Fongstarr,
I’m digging those Chico shots, and the long lens shots from the Pier.

I’d love to know if your blurryness on the wall ride shots were motion blur, or focus trouble.
What camera did you shoot those with?
My initial thought is that most SLRs flash synch at 1/250. So flash combined with 1/2000 might be the trouble. Although someone pointed out that 1/2000 should freeze most action, especially a wallride.
Also to consider is flash duration. I’m not familiar with that Godox. If your shutter is faster than the flash duration, you are missing out on the light from your flash.

As for flash position, the tried and true is to make a triangle with your lights and subject. With one light being lower in power. With a single flash you can count the sun as one of your lights and flash as the other. I like your idea to highlight a skater’s face. You could also use your one flash to fill in pesky shadows.

Have you ever checked the strobist? Good lighting advice over there.  https://strobist.blogspot.com/?m=1

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2022, 11:36:39 AM »
Yo Fongstarr,
I’m digging those Chico shots, and the long lens shots from the Pier.

I’d love to know if your blurryness on the wall ride shots were motion blur, or focus trouble.
What camera did you shoot those with?
My initial thought is that most SLRs flash synch at 1/250. So flash combined with 1/2000 might be the trouble. Although someone pointed out that 1/2000 should freeze most action, especially a wallride.
Also to consider is flash duration. I’m not familiar with that Godox. If your shutter is faster than the flash duration, you are missing out on the light from your flash.

As for flash position, the tried and true is to make a triangle with your lights and subject. With one light being lower in power. With a single flash you can count the sun as one of your lights and flash as the other. I like your idea to highlight a skater’s face. You could also use your one flash to fill in pesky shadows.

Have you ever checked the strobist? Good lighting advice over there.  https://strobist.blogspot.com/?m=1

Hmmm....haven't though of that. To be honest I am not sure about the flash duration. I just put the strobe on high speed sync and set the power to full. I shot the photos with Canon 5D Mark 3 with a 70-200mm f/2.8 ii. It was overcast that day so I didn't expect my strobe to do much especially since shooting on HSS sync drops your flash power down. Just wanted to fill some shadows which I am not even sure if it did.

I guess I'll just do some practice shots on my daughter and have her run around and see what is going on. Could be me just being a little shaky with me holding the lens too. I sort of wish I could even prop my camera and lens on a tripod to just make sure there was no shake but I really didn't have the extra time to do it.

Thanks for your input with the flash setup and that link.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2022, 02:15:54 PM »
What focus mode do you use?

I've always just used One Shot which has worked fine for skating. I've been getting into bird photography a bit the past year. Birds are way faster, smaller and more unpredictable than skaters. It's really really challenging.

I have been experimenting with the other two modes which are supposed to be good for moving subjects. I always end up returning to One Shot as I find I end up with a higher rate of sharp photos.

I'm using a 5dii so am wondering if I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to something with newer faster focusing technology.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

sharkjumper

« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2022, 06:25:50 PM »
For skate shots, I set the focus with auto focus then turn it off so it stays at that point.

For birds and faster moving stuff you would probably benefit from a newer body. Seems like auto focus is one thing that actually gets improved on newer models.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2022, 09:52:07 PM »
For skate shots, I set the focus with auto focus then turn it off so it stays at that point.

For birds and faster moving stuff you would probably benefit from a newer body. Seems like auto focus is one thing that actually gets improved on newer models.

Thanks for the tips. I don't know much about mirrorless cams yet so aren't really looking at that. Seems logical to get a second hand 5Div but the prices for second hand ones, many of which still have very high shutter counts, are still pretty eye-watering.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Simcity

« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2022, 06:19:13 AM »
@fongstarr

Some dope shots and damn you got big time subjects. In regards to the fisheye, I have the canon 15 f2.8 and it's been great. I would be love the 8-15mm as  it looks fun shooting at 12mm or lower. I see Burny Diego does it sometimes https://www.instagram.com/burnydiego/

I use 2 ad360. I use hypersync instead of hss. Look it up. You do not need to worry about flash duration if you are shooting with hss/hypersync, your shutter speed will stop the action. When you don't use hss/hypersync , that's when you need to start thinking about flash duration. I would recommend getting at least one more flash

I use the exact some technique for focusing, auto focus on subject then set it to manual. If you are changing the angle , repeat the step

Simcity

« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2022, 06:58:54 AM »
A photo from a year or so ago. Just messing around

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdily1RLaDG/

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2022, 09:35:06 AM »
@Fongstarr

Some dope shots and damn you got big time subjects. In regards to the fisheye, I have the canon 15 f2.8 and it's been great. I would be love the 8-15mm as  it looks fun shooting at 12mm or lower. I see Burny Diego does it sometimes https://www.instagram.com/burnydiego/

I use 2 ad360. I use hypersync instead of hss. Look it up. You do not need to worry about flash duration if you are shooting with hss/hypersync, your shutter speed will stop the action. When you don't use hss/hypersync , that's when you need to start thinking about flash duration. I would recommend getting at least one more flash

I use the exact some technique for focusing, auto focus on subject then set it to manual. If you are changing the angle , repeat the step

Thanks man. Will definitely look up the hypersync thing. I think I remember a video oddly on Ride Channel talking about that. Will dig it up. 

Ended up ironically finding a guy on Craigslist that had a practically new 15mm f/2.8 for $280 USD. Lens so far seems fine and sharp but man, that motor for the autofocus is pretty damn loud. Doesn’t really matter but still kind of surprised. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2022, 01:21:18 AM »
what I do is to use zone focussing with a fisheye, setting it manually to 1m and at least f4. that way it's usually pretty sharp.

sharkjumper

« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2022, 01:46:48 PM »
Here are a couple shots from a few months ago.
The smith grind was shot with a single flash, Fongstarr.

Ben_Graham_smith

Dorian_ollie

Simcity

« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2022, 04:17:43 PM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2022, 11:43:39 AM »
Sweet! Now I wanna watch the Adidas ‚Korean Dance‘ …

Ziggy Schaap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2022, 08:33:35 AM »
Don't know why I've never posted here before. Rad stuff form everyone. Shot out to Matze too for always posting cool stuff on IG.

Just wanted to share some stuff. Last year I had a 6 month hiatus from work. So when Pier 7 opened up, I actually would just show up to take random photos. I shot was with a 700-200mm lens as if I was watching a surf event. Normally I would be across the street or on the island shooting toward the pier which gave me a cool compression of the bridge. Through a couple sessions, I was able to meet couple of pros from Chico, Rob G, Rodrigo Peterson and more and moved around more to get a better shot. All the photos were shot in natural light and heavily edited with Lightroom and Photoshop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUO7GT_Liu0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVmAcBjPjjH/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWH0rS_r2t_/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWcAtmkv1mj/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWeOZPRv2iI/

On a couple of occasions, I would shoot and actually shot Kevin Braun without even knowing who he was. Month back, 19th Avenue on IG asked if they can use my photos for his Pier 7 part. I know it's not the same as getting printed in Thrasher but it is something.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWtMLKsvOkV/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV_455Hpqit/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOjeoFGZIg

Love that second one!
@karaokeskate / karaokeskate.com

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2022, 07:37:39 AM »
@Ziggy Schaap that back tail photo with the hand is very, very good. Love it.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Simcity

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2022, 08:00:55 AM »

That's an old video hahaha

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeFzCvbp96s/

Recent photo from another Seoul gem

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2022, 12:48:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's an old video hahaha

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeFzCvbp96s/

Recent photo from another Seoul gem
That ones beast!!

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2022, 06:27:30 PM »
A Bs Blunt I got today that I'm pretty stoked on

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2022, 09:35:47 AM »
Anyone on here recommend a good scanner for film? Mostly 35mm but if there is one that does 35 and 120 film, that would be great. I've been going to local film shops getting stuff done and I figure to invest and just get a scanner for myself to save money in the long run.

I also just looked up people "scanning" photos using a digital camera. Seems like more of an investment since i have to buy a ton of gear as well as a macro lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBusUV4POWk&t=32s
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 09:47:39 AM by Fongstarr. »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin