Author Topic: Safe Space for 7.5 - 7.75 deck rydaz  (Read 53447 times)

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Safe Space for 7.75 deck rydaz
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2020, 09:30:07 AM »
Im a size 13 but I used to ride 8'0" back at a time when finding a regular shaped board over 8.25" felt like a legit struggle. Say, 1997-2005. Antihero or a local brand, Scum, were the only options for a 8.5". Riding an 8.0" was a compromise I had to get with.

Right now I am riding 9.0" Polar boards, normal shapes. I like the Doomsayers 9.0 too, and was curious about the Santa Cruz snakebite boats 9.0" after seeing a Ron Whaley sales pitch on YouTube.

You know what's nuts, Cardiel rode 7.5"s in his heyday, on all terrains. Julien, 7.75". I wonder if he still does? I find that so fucking wild.
ok thanks

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
Im a size 13 but I used to ride 8'0" back at a time when finding a regular shaped board over 8.25" felt like a legit struggle. Say, 1997-2005. Antihero or a local brand, Scum, were the only options for a 8.5". Riding an 8.0" was a compromise I had to get with.

Right now I am riding 9.0" Polar boards, normal shapes. I like the Doomsayers 9.0 too, and was curious about the Santa Cruz snakebite boats 9.0" after seeing a Ron Whaley sales pitch on YouTube.

You know what's nuts, Cardiel rode 7.5"s in his heyday, on all terrains. Julien, 7.75". I wonder if he still does? I find that so fucking wild.
Geoff Rowley, Chad Muska and Dollin all rode 7.75s all the way up until at least the late 2000s too; crazy to think those dudes skated some of the gnarliest hubbas and rails ever on a 7.75. Also Brent Atchley was on a 7.5 all the way up til at least the early 2000s too. Had a TWS buyers guide from like 2009 that had a bunch of interviews where they ask pros about their setup and I remember being shocked at those answers cuz I always thought those dudes woulda been on bigger boards.
Anyone know of the opposite, where like a super techy pro rides a super wide setup? I remember back in the day my friend telling me that Daewon rides a 8.5 and being shocked as all hell, only to find out my friend was lying and that he actually rides 7.6-7.7 lol.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2020, 10:09:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Geoff Rowley, Chad Muska and Dollin all rode 7.75s all the way up until at least the late 2000s too; crazy to think those dudes skated some of the gnarliest hubbas and rails ever on a 7.75. Also Brent Atchley was on a 7.5 all the way up til at least the early 2000s too. Had a TWS buyers guide from like 2009 that had a bunch of interviews where they ask pros about their setup and I remember being shocked at those answers cuz I always thought those dudes woulda been on bigger boards.
Anyone know of the opposite, where like a super techy pro rides a super wide setup? I remember back in the day my friend telling me that Daewon rides a 8.5 and being shocked as all hell, only to find out my friend was lying and that he actually rides 7.6-7.7 lol.

7.75 would have been big back then. Everyone skated small boards.

I must get up in the attic in my folks gaff and measure my old decks. I'm fairly sure I have 7.4/7.3s
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2020, 11:20:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

mmmm Cant speak to DD, but Rowley always rode 8.25" minimum. Muska fluctuated I believe.

Consider the source when you consider interviews in a buyers guide whose sole purpose is literally to sell the skateboards contained within.
ok thanks

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Recent-ish Julien setup from the Ace Insta:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfEH5V2hOao/?igshid=13h5u2yly33a0

44s, 52mm spit classics, and what looks to be like 8.25". Anyone know the true size of that board?

In a recent AMA thing in his stories Cards says he rides 53mm tablets and Indy 149s. Forget what size board, want to say 8.5".

There is something special about seeing 90s footage of people doing big things on small boards.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 12:02:12 PM by FrozenIndustries »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

mmmm Cant speak to DD, but Rowley always rode 8.25" minimum. Muska fluctuated I believe.

Consider the source when you consider interviews in a buyers guide whose sole purpose is literally to sell the skateboards contained within.
Hmmmm I dunno, Geoff went pretty in depth on his setup in that issue, I still have the issue laying around somewhere hidden in storage, I definitely need to scan and upload sometime, but what youre saying would make sense as well, lying about your setup just to boost sales. I remember a lot of other pros in that issue like Reynolds and Arto and Nuge all saying 8.3 to 8.5 and and not really being too shocked by those answers because they were so expected, but those other four (Rowley, Muska, Dollin and Atchley) all surprised the hell out of me cuz I thought they’d all be on like 8.3 to 8.5 boards as well. Also, I’m just now remembering that Koston put down 8.125 as his board size and getting weirded out by that as well, at the time I always imagined him skating a skinnier board.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2020, 12:42:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Hmmmm I dunno, Geoff went pretty in depth on his setup in that issue, I still have the issue laying around somewhere hidden in storage, I definitely need to scan and upload sometime, but what youre saying would make sense as well, lying about your setup just to boost sales. I remember a lot of other pros in that issue like Reynolds and Arto and Nuge all saying 8.3 to 8.5 and and not really being too shocked by those answers because they were so expected, but those other four (Rowley, Muska, Dollin and Atchley) all surprised the hell out of me cuz I thought they’d all be on like 8.3 to 8.5 boards as well. Also, I’m just now remembering that Koston put down 8.125 as his board size and getting weirded out by that as well, at the time I always imagined him skating a skinnier board.

I dont wanna be that guy, but I am old and worked in the industry during that time period. Lots of people rode much bigger boards than their pro models from which they were paid royalties from. Ed rode 8.5s, Ellington and Reynolds and Brayden were all on 8.3 or larger. I'm not saying people were lying, but I think people a lot of the time understood their first and foremost role as being a spokesperson for their pro model boards and their brand.

If you're not making a XXX pro model 8.25 and XXX says "I ride a 8.25," at that time period, a lot of people were buying their pros setups. I dont think it's the same way anymore. 411 had an entire segment dedicated to proset ups at the time.

ok thanks

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2020, 03:07:12 PM »
Hombreezy and Big Dave can take they big asses to the big boy thread. This the 7.75 safe space.

Jk.

I think back when everything was <8” some pros were riding bigger boards and selling small boards. Now the reverse is true.

I wanna hear more of this Cardiel on 7.5/Julien 7.75 talk.

Global Moderator

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »

I'm obsessed with the blanks World pros rode back in 93, so with every set up I try to create the magic feeling that seeing those unattainable boards gave me when I was fourteen.

Small Deck Body Stats:
height: 6'1"
weight: 182
shoe size: 9

Setup Stats:
7.56" Control blank
Venture 5.0 Lo Cast baseplates w/hollow hangers
46mm Hookups Mobile Suits Wheels
Bones Swiss Ceramics
7/8ths Allen Bolts
Jessup

Here's the board in action:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFlBo39H1qr/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:32:20 PM by Global Moderator »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2020, 03:36:36 PM »
@Global Moderator 7.56 board with the baggy jeans, white tee and a baseball cap..... all you needed was some lynx and you’d pretty much be early 00s Kalis reincarnated.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »

Yeah, this one, it's true. Its all too old at this point for me to look up info, but I remember reading an article/interview with Cards (not in a buyers guide, I feel like it was a small zine, Concussion or something) talking about loving 7.5s and Indy 129s. I asked Jim if it was true and he said it was. All the pictures of cardiel in that era skating, you can tell the board is small and the trucks are loose. Just wild. Julien I think always rode his stock 7.75" boards. One of which, I broke my ankle on in 2001.

I mean, all of my knowledge of this dates back over 15 years, but it's accurate, just can't recall the exact sources.
ok thanks

Global Moderator

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2020, 08:37:54 PM »
@Global Moderator 7.56 board with the baggy jeans, white tee and a baseball cap..... all you needed was some lynx and you’d pretty much be early 00s Kalis reincarnated.

That’s high praise! And I do have some Darkroom Lynx that I need to skate, but these BAs are too good to swap them for anything else at the moment.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »
The smallest deck I currently own is an 8.5. I want to try some different trucks (lifelong Indy rider) so I am considering getting some Ventures or Thunders just to try them out. The 8.5 Krooked deck I have has a 14" wheelbase and it seriously feels like you entered a cheat code when you try certain tricks, 180s, shuvs and fs no complys come so easy for me on a wide board with a short wheelbase. I tried my hardest riding skinny 7.75- boards from about the early 90s through 2002, struggling to land anything, trying modern flip tricks in puffy shoes and on a tiny board. I rode wider popsicle boards until one day in 2007 I decided to go back to my 80s roots and bought some Hi Top Chucks and a 10" fish shape setup and had the time of my life doing the weird old school tricks I learned as a small kid, never went back from big shaped decks. Whatever works for you is what I say

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2020, 01:39:32 AM »

I'm obsessed with the blanks World pros rode back in 93, so with every set up I try to create the magic feeling that seeing those unattainable boards gave me when I was fourteen.

Small Deck Body Stats:

Setup Stats:
7.56" Control blank
Bones Swiss Ceramics
7/8ths Allen Bolts
Jessup

So cool

Where do you get those decks ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Global Moderator

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2020, 10:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So cool

I order 50 uncut blanks from Control with my desired veneer colors and shape them myself.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »

Small Deck Body Stats:

Setup Stats:
7.56" Control blank
Bones Swiss Ceramics
7/8ths Allen Bolts
Jessup

Beautiful!

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CER-e_eJVJ1/?igshid=slubgfiyjvqh

Here is what I’m riding:
Drkrm 7.75
Bones bearings
Venture 5.0 lows
Boardy cakes 44mm

I’m 174cm, 70 kg, size 8 shoes.

I was skating 8.0, 8.1  with 139’s and 53 mm spitfires for the past years and absolutely hated it... i lost all flip tricks.

Growing up I was a 7.5 ti 7.75 guy snd was great at flio tricks.

I set up the drkrm and the flip trucks slowly are coming back. I love this board and at 38 years old it majes me feel 16 again.

Global Moderator

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CER-e_eJVJ1/?igshid=slubgfiyjvqh

Here is what I’m riding:
Drkrm 7.75
Bones bearings
Venture 5.0 lows
Boardy cakes 44mm

I’m 174cm, 70 kg, size 8 shoes.

I was skating 8.0, 8.1  with 139’s and 53 mm spitfires for the past years and absolutely hated it... i lost all flip tricks.

Growing up I was a 7.5 ti 7.75 guy snd was great at flio tricks.

I set up the drkrm and the flip trucks slowly are coming back. I love this board and at 38 years old it majes me feel 16 again.

What a great setup!!! I guarantee all your flip tricks will come back on that board... everything you're riding lends itself to quick pop and fast rotation.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2020, 04:31:48 PM »
Snagged this at the shop the other day. Not stoked on the graphic and not the biggest fan of CJ Collins but the only other 7.75 that was at the shop was a DGK that was 7.75 x 31.5 with a 14.5 inch wheelbase. Thought maybe the specs were written in error but then I measured it and it really did have a 14.5 inch wheelbase. A 14.5 inch wheelbase on a 31.5 length deck just sounded a bit too looney to me, and all I could envision was multiple frustrating sessions trying to get used to the wheelbase, so I went with the toy deck instead; it’s 31.25 long with a 14 inch wheelbase, definitely way more up my alley. It’s super flat and feels more like a 7.6, as a matter of fact I got 129s and the axles are kinda peeking out through the sides when you look down, way more than my last toy 7.75, but I was planning on trying a 7.5 soon anyways so this feeling a bit thinner actually works out for me in helping me get used to a skinnier deck before the 7.5 jump.
Also, was reading in the setup thread about tum yeto decks being questionable in quality because of all the different sources for boards they’re using these days but this had the PS serial number up top and a “made in Mexico” message too so I think I’m in the clear.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

So cool

[close]

I order 50 uncut blanks from Control with my desired veneer colors and shape them myself.

Damn dude, you aren’t fucking around.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2020, 05:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

So cool

[close]

[close]

What does 50 blanks cost?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Global Moderator

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

So cool

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s a very affordable price per deck. I don’t want to share the financial specifics here, but at my age I want to skate the exact same feeling board every time, so it’s worth it to me to be able to always have the same concave ready to go whenever I need one. I like to play around with shapes too, so it’s fun to be able to mess around with dimensions to get the board just right with a concave that’s perfect for me.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, this one, it's true. Its all too old at this point for me to look up info, but I remember reading an article/interview with Cards (not in a buyers guide, I feel like it was a small zine, Concussion or something) talking about loving 7.5s and Indy 129s. I asked Jim if it was true and he said it was. All the pictures of cardiel in that era skating, you can tell the board is small and the trucks are loose. Just wild. Julien I think always rode his stock 7.75" boards. One of which, I broke my ankle on in 2001.

I mean, all of my knowledge of this dates back over 15 years, but it's accurate, just can't recall the exact sources.

I know when Ace started, Julien rode the 22 trucks (7.6" axle) so that makes sense. I think he usually rides stock boards cause some years later (maybe 07-08ish+) he always rode the 7.875 graphics, then around 2010-2011 and forward he only rode graphics with that short 8.12" shape and Ace 33's. The years are somewhat of a rough estimate, do what you want with that information.

I have some of those buyers guide mags, I could take some photos if there's any interest in specific riders or years. Most riders say another size than whats on their graphics so I feel like they're somewhat reliable...

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2020, 06:33:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

So cool

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s a very affordable price per deck. I don’t want to share the financial specifics here, but at my age I want to skate the exact same feeling board every time, so it’s worth it to me to be able to always have the same concave ready to go whenever I need one. I like to play around with shapes too, so it’s fun to be able to mess around with dimensions to get the board just right with a concave that’s perfect for me.
    So many questions I could ask you about this process
but I'm just going to say I'm impressed at all aspects of this post.  Respect to you mate

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know when Ace started, Julien rode the 22 trucks (7.6" axle) so that makes sense. I think he usually rides stock boards cause some years later (maybe 07-08ish+) he always rode the 7.875 graphics, then around 2010-2011 and forward he only rode graphics with that short 8.12" shape and Ace 33's. The years are somewhat of a rough estimate, do what you want with that information.

I have some of those buyers guide mags, I could take some photos if there's any interest in specific riders or years. Most riders say another size than whats on their graphics so I feel like they're somewhat reliable...

Thanks! Both of you came thru. That’s tight.
Wild to think of Cardiel doing that shit on 7.5s....7.75/7.875 etc is a very functional, ‘normal’ size imo. 7.5s require dedication, they’ll work rad, but you gotta be on point and consistent with your setup. 22s!! Those things....never had any, but I had several sets of the first gen 33s and those were fairly wild, and 129s although a go to way back when, seem kinda nuts: just high, narrow, twitchy. That 8.12 shape Julien’s graphics used to be on was the shit.
Thanks for bringing the details on the actual legends. Love that shit

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2020, 08:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks! Both of you came thru. That’s tight.
Wild to think of Cardiel doing that shit on 7.5s....7.75/7.875 etc is a very functional, ‘normal’ size imo. 7.5s require dedication, they’ll work rad, but you gotta be on point and consistent with your setup. 22s!! Those things....never had any, but I had several sets of the first gen 33s and those were fairly wild, and 129s although a go to way back when, seem kinda nuts: just high, narrow, twitchy. That 8.12 shape Julien’s graphics used to be on was the shit.
Thanks for bringing the details on the actual legends. Love that shit

No prob at all. It was a wild time in skating.

Since he's so popular here, Cancer Dan always rode Krooked in 8.125+. Pretty much the same as the sizes/shapes of his pro models.

It was the same as the 8.125 AH eagle. I rode a lot of those.

ok thanks

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »
Picked this 7.75 up during quarantine cause of the graphic. Think I had some ace 33s on, pretty fun and not as small as I thought it was gonna feel.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2020, 01:13:56 AM »
I talked to Don Pendleton the other day, and apparantly the 7.75 deck I have is going to stay in the line-up for at least te next two seasons.

And there will be an additional 7.62 and another 7.75.

And does anyone know of any good blanks that have 7.75's?

All I can find on ebay are Chinese ones :'(

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2020, 03:28:59 AM »
I talked to Don Pendleton the other day, and apparantly the 7.75 deck I have is going to stay in the line-up for at least te next two seasons.

Not sure how you feel about Jereme Rogers but TGM has some 7.75 on clearance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2020, 05:22:08 AM »

Chapman had/has a 7.75" blank. Clutch K7 shape, 7.75"x31.56" 14.25" WB. I had one and it was pretty nice.