Author Topic: Square-ish shaped decks?  (Read 10225 times)

topfrog10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Square-ish shaped decks?
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 07:03:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was at the shop yesterday and they had one of the best selections I'd seen in a while, so I got to do a bit of shopping around based on what I'm into lately instead of just taking what they've got, like it's been the case for the last 6 months or so.

My square-ish deck related findings:

AWS/ Habitat - looks like FA/ Hockey, but elongated.

Doomsayers - pretty much a mellower FA/ Hockey, maybe a hair longer, but still on the short side. Excited to try one.

DLX Full SE - 8.5 is WAY more square than I expected, but 8.38 is definitely pointier. Go with the 8.5 if you want the super full nose and tail.

Passport - also pretty squared off, not as much as FA/ Hockey, closer to Quasi. Ended up getting an 8.6 PP. Feels really really good and roomy.
[close]

Bringing this shit back because I am on some heavy madness. I've never heard passport being in the realm of squared off, but I love the brand so I would be very hyped if it is closish to a quasi deck. Can someone confirm/deny? @ClayH how did this board treat you the world needs to know
[close]

Passport have a couple of shaped decks, which have more stubby ends, but their normal boards are definitely round popsicles and not at all squared off.

I think people have mentioned all the brands that are more squared off already, if you are talking normal boards, but there are a lot of shaped decks that have squared kicks, which I can put in a list if you would like.

Wider normal kicks are more in the "Full" category, so were you after full shaped popsicles or squared shaped decks?
full shaped popsicles! i generally stick with quasi as i like the fullness and sharper angle of their tail but i want to hopefully find one that has a little bit longer tail.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2021, 07:26:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was at the shop yesterday and they had one of the best selections I'd seen in a while, so I got to do a bit of shopping around based on what I'm into lately instead of just taking what they've got, like it's been the case for the last 6 months or so.

My square-ish deck related findings:

AWS/ Habitat - looks like FA/ Hockey, but elongated.

Doomsayers - pretty much a mellower FA/ Hockey, maybe a hair longer, but still on the short side. Excited to try one.

DLX Full SE - 8.5 is WAY more square than I expected, but 8.38 is definitely pointier. Go with the 8.5 if you want the super full nose and tail.

Passport - also pretty squared off, not as much as FA/ Hockey, closer to Quasi. Ended up getting an 8.6 PP. Feels really really good and roomy.
[close]

Bringing this shit back because I am on some heavy madness. I've never heard passport being in the realm of squared off, but I love the brand so I would be very hyped if it is closish to a quasi deck. Can someone confirm/deny? @ClayH how did this board treat you the world needs to know
[close]

Passport have a couple of shaped decks, which have more stubby ends, but their normal boards are definitely round popsicles and not at all squared off.

I think people have mentioned all the brands that are more squared off already, if you are talking normal boards, but there are a lot of shaped decks that have squared kicks, which I can put in a list if you would like.

Wider normal kicks are more in the "Full" category, so were you after full shaped popsicles or squared shaped decks?
[close]
full shaped popsicles! i generally stick with quasi as i like the fullness and sharper angle of their tail but i want to hopefully find one that has a little bit longer tail.
I recently set up this 8.5 habitat with a tail that's a bit longer than average and a bit squared.  Similar dimensions to Quasi 8.5s.  The 14.25wb Quasis anyway. 

Get hungry on it!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2021, 08:39:37 AM »

Both Alien Workshop and Habitat have that shape going, especially in the wider boards, all with slightly longer kicks and a shorter wheelbase, which might work well if you like that sort of board.

They are BBS.

The shorter tails were the main reason PS Stix lost a number of customers I know too, but it is often down to the shapes more so than the woodshop - some have longer tails and some have shorter tails so it is just finding the one that you like with the longer tail for a good board.

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2021, 09:43:40 AM »

Both Alien Workshop and Habitat have that shape going, especially in the wider boards, all with slightly longer kicks and a shorter wheelbase, which might work well if you like that sort of board.

They are BBS.

The shorter tails were the main reason PS Stix lost a number of customers I know too, but it is often down to the shapes more so than the woodshop - some have longer tails and some have shorter tails so it is just finding the one that you like with the longer tail for a good board.

yeah i'm finding it hard to look for new options because pics don't really show board shapes very well on a site and so many sites barely give you any dims if they give you dims at all. i like the shorter wheelbase, definitely 14.25 and under so i'll check those out

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »
Expand Quote

They are BBS.

[close]

yeah i'm finding it hard to look for new options because pics don't really show board shapes very well on a site and so many sites barely give you any dims if they give you dims at all. i like the shorter wheelbase, definitely 14.25 and under so i'll check those out

Their own sites have pretty good info on their products, better than most other generic self sites with almost no info.

https://www.alienworkshop.com/

https://habitatskateboards.com/

Examples (based off an 8.5 width):

https://www.alienworkshop.com/collections/decks/products/og-burst-xl-8-5

https://habitatskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/melange-8-5

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2021, 07:37:35 PM »
Necro-bumping this thread.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Skate_Warehouse_Script_Deck/descpage-SWSK4DK.html

Skatewarehouse has their script series back in stock..the 8.37x31.5 (14.25" WB ) is tits @$34.99 - last run was clutch. The deck is more square than the photo suggests. Def in-line with AWS/Habitat/WKND

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2021, 03:09:25 AM »
Necro-bumping this thread.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Skate_Warehouse_Script_Deck/descpage-SWSK4DK.html

Skatewarehouse has their script series back in stock..the 8.37x31.5 (14.25" WB ) is tits @$34.99 - last run was clutch. The deck is more square than the photo suggests. Def in-line with AWS/Habitat/WKND
Yeah I've been waiting 2 years for another drop from them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2021, 06:04:54 AM »
DOA trending shape!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fakie varial flip

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »
Are there any 8.375-8.5 squared off shapes (like Hockey/FA, AWS) with a longer wheelbase? I had a Baker with 14.5 wb and I could stick on walls at the local concrete park for so long it was amazing, but I like the full shape with squared off nose and tail for transition.

I'm specifically looking for full shape, 14.38-14.5 wheelbase. I've seen maybe one Quasi with 14.5, though I really disliked the PS Stix boards I had in the past.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2021, 09:17:09 AM »
Are there any 8.375-8.5 squared off shapes (like Hockey/FA, AWS) with a longer wheelbase? I had a Baker with 14.5 wb and I could stick on walls at the local concrete park for so long it was amazing, but I like the full shape with squared off nose and tail for transition.

I'm specifically looking for full shape, 14.38-14.5 wheelbase. I've seen maybe one Quasi with 14.5, though I really disliked the PS Stix boards I had in the past.

Rare breed that. AWS/Quasi is going to be your best bet.

You could try the baker b2 shapes, they are just full, not really square despite the marketing effort...

Flip! I forget they exist, dig around this thread and you'll find it, it's the Team Odyssey Fade full nose, if you can find it online, I believe the longer length ones at 32.75" are 14.5" WB.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:50:08 PM by Xen »

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2021, 10:15:08 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTpulGChCWe/?utm_medium=copy_link

New Fortress decks on AD wood are like a slightly steeper Workshop/Habitat

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 10:40:23 AM by Xen »

fakie varial flip

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2021, 10:34:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Rare breed that. AWS/Quasi is going to be your best bet.

You could try the baker b2 shapes, they are just full, not really square despite the marketing effort...

Flip! I forget they exist, dig around this thread and you'll find it, it's the Team Odyssey Fad full nose, if you can find it online, I believe the longer length ones at 32.75" are 14.5" WB.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the help. I just checked the recent quasi drop and it has a gilbert in 14.5 so that was a lucky find too.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
Krooked Manderson is pretty square. It's like BBS made a Hockey, decently steep too.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2021, 01:34:12 PM »
Krooked Manderson is pretty square. It's like BBS made a Hockey, decently steep too.

bbs makes hockey

LebowskisRug

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2021, 03:09:15 PM »
Forgot about that, carry on.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2021, 01:43:34 PM »
As a fan of the SC Wide tip (RIP) looks like SC is coming in hot with a more band-aid type shape. But more full than square but might work for someone.

https://youtu.be/SlGIYafquoY?t=59

As far as current SC shapes go that's pretty damn square.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2021, 08:50:41 PM »
I always looked at those wider Creature and Santa Cruz decks when they came in and thought they were very stumpy, but this one in only 8.25 definitely has that shape of stumpy kick going on nicely.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2021, 09:39:12 PM »
I always looked at those wider Creature and Santa Cruz decks when they came in and thought they were very stumpy, but this one in only 8.25 definitely has that shape of stumpy kick going on nicely.

Here is the old wide-tip; I skated 4 of them in a row, with Indy/ACE/Theeve there were some of the most comfy boards I've ridden in a long time; 8.25x32x14.353WB

Just look at all that tail...wide, just a bit stubby..for an NHS board there was quite a the fingers of flat going on (two).

They discontinued them because they didn't sell...guess no pros over there were riding them either (Creature's cold press were this shape)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:32:01 AM by Xen »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »

They discontinued them because they didn't sell...guess no pros over there were riding them either (Creature's cold press were this shape)

Yes, when they went on sale is about when someone I knew wanted that board, only more so in 8.375 or 8.5 so he bought all of them he could find.

I had a few of them (and access to more) so bought all of them for him and he is still going on them as far as I know, but he doesn't go through boards quickly so could be a while longer on all the old stock.

I had a skate on his board and they are such a good stable setup, but I am not keen on the concave and feel of the kicks, otherwise I can definitely understand how you would be super keen on them.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2021, 03:56:50 AM »
DOA trending shape!
Yes! Would be great if they brought this one back around.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2021, 10:36:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, when they went on sale is about when someone I knew wanted that board, only more so in 8.375 or 8.5 so he bought all of them he could find.

I had a few of them (and access to more) so bought all of them for him and he is still going on them as far as I know, but he doesn't go through boards quickly so could be a while longer on all the old stock.

I had a skate on his board and they are such a good stable setup, but I am not keen on the concave and feel of the kicks, otherwise I can definitely understand how you would be super keen on them.

Interestingly enough, I prefered the Creature 'cold press' vs the typical NHS press (skated both creature and SC variants), they felt like old 80s wood somehow. They were pretty flat, and the whole style of kicks, flat, shape, concave, etc. made it pretty odd at first, I agree, but once I got used it, it was like an old shoe. The shape really worked for me...I was going to stockpile but felt it better to just let it go. Nothing has come close since.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2021, 02:09:21 PM »
I ALWAYS wanted one of these boards. So different from anything I could get my hands on at the time. Square city

Looks like he’s still at it

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »
the Creature stumps 8.25 is pretty full/square

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »
Expand Quote
DOA trending shape!
[close]
Yes! Would be great if they brought this one back around.
oh they stopped doing these? I just setup one from a few seasons back and it’s literately shaped like a snowboard

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2022, 09:06:08 PM »
Has anyone tried a Snack board? Seem pretty square

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2022, 09:15:31 AM »
https://shop.snackskateboards.com/products/roger-krebs-rogers-whip-deck

this one was on the wall at the shop for a minute and stood out as extraordinarily square from the other pretty dang square snack boards we had.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2022, 07:32:37 PM »

They have multiple square shapes believe it or not. One is identical to the quasi/GX one for all intents and purposes, and then they have one that's like almost comically square. I've got both. I can pull one out and snap some pics before my morning skate if you want.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2022, 02:32:52 AM »

Look past the crappy grip job if you can. I just got this Quasi eurofade…pretty square. I would never had got this deck if I didn’t see it in person at a shop. They say its 33” but its a little over 32. So far I really like it…more so than the full Real 8.5 I was just riding.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2022, 07:19:04 PM »

Look past the crappy grip job if you can. I just got this Quasi eurofade…pretty square. I would never had got this deck if I didn’t see it in person at a shop. They say its 33” but its a little over 32. So far I really like it…more so than the full Real 8.5 I was just riding.

Yeah that nose especially.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.