Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22751 times)

lampshade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Can we make a list? Let me know if there are others. I just scrolled through all the skateshop instas I can find and didn't find much. So far I have seen these in this thread:

• Sixth Ave Skatepark (Nashville, TN)
  • One Up (Pittsburgh, PA
  • Solstice (New Bedford, MA)
  • Home Skateshop (Louisville, KY)
  • Urbane (Steamboat Springs, CO)
[close]

And also i will add that if it is <15 shops or whatever I think you can blame market contractions and a need to trim small accounts, and not some malicious scheme to dump core skateboarding. We are in a recession dudes.

This is coming from someone who has bought nothing except for state, lakai, and Last Resort now for 3+ years. I don't like Nike or Adidas but also I don't think everything is some kind of huge comic-book-villain strategy.

I don;t know.  I don't live in any of those cities, but I've heard of all those shops except for the CO. one.  They can't be doing too bad.  But I have not see their books.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2020, 11:08:20 AM »
Heard Nike cut some big wigs in the skate program. wild week in corpo skate

trashparty

« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2020, 11:09:55 AM »
im done arguing with know-it-alls.

anyone who wants some insight as to why the younger generations are fucking with "corporate" shoe companies over etnies, fallen, lakai, emerica, etc. can PM me and we can have a respectful dialogue on such topic.

they're just shoes people.

trashparty

« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »
oh and i still love you DC ;)

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »
All day I dream about shop accounts closing.

mooot windsocks

• Rep: 0
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »
Don’t ever buy athletic footwear to skate in y’all; as the mighty Lordz once told us: they don’t give a fuck about us.

Amen my (french) brother!

As for this topic, the shop i work for in france hasn't had any issue with Adidas ( yet?) they even seems to participate quite a lot in the local scene. but surely this is concerning...
i'll be glad to hear from adidas about this

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2020, 11:30:51 AM »
i skated in nike gts ( the ones supreme re issued not grant Taylor’s) in grade 6 with a penny hardaway USA jersey & calvin klien jeans none of which were available in my country at the time i was just such a trail blazer that’s how i ran & u plebs is making present day wrestling references smh

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »
I've worn blazers and ctas this past year and loved them. But I'm ready to pull my head out of my ass and make the effort to support "core" companies:

Crail will never get a dollar from me.

I love my Reynolds G6 so I would 100% try other cupsoles from Emerica.

Last Resort looks good imo. I'd like to try a pair.

I really want to love state but my pair of keys feels horrible. They don't fit well and are stiff as hell.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2020, 11:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can we make a list? Let me know if there are others. I just scrolled through all the skateshop instas I can find and didn't find much. So far I have seen these in this thread:

• Sixth Ave Skatepark (Nashville, TN)
  • One Up (Pittsburgh, PA
  • Solstice (New Bedford, MA)
  • Home Skateshop (Louisville, KY)
  • Urbane (Steamboat Springs, CO)
[close]

And also i will add that if it is <15 shops or whatever I think you can blame market contractions and a need to trim small accounts, and not some malicious scheme to dump core skateboarding. We are in a recession dudes.

This is coming from someone who has bought nothing except for state, lakai, and Last Resort now for 3+ years. I don't like Nike or Adidas but also I don't think everything is some kind of huge comic-book-villain strategy.
[close]

Minus Skateshop in Carmel Indiana

Solstice and One Up have to be pretty big accounts, Idk about the other ones but this does seem like a direct to consumer ordeal to me

Yeah and is home a pretty known shop too? Or do I just assume that cause I’m in Midwest ?

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2020, 11:50:47 AM »
one of my buddies is one of the last three remaining riders on the Adidas Snowboarding program, they cut almost everyone . Not sure if this is related in some way.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2020, 12:11:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike has never cared about skaters. Even look at the current state of their skate shoes. It's virtually impossible to get a pair of Dunks without knowing someone or severely overpaying in 2020.
[close]

From a supply and demand stance, Nike actually blows it. Completely selling out of a product is not always a great thing. It can mean your prices are too low. 

Consider the fact that when they release a Dunk, it immediately sells out and then hits the re-sale market at higher price. Is it just me or is it crazy to think that a consumer can turn around and make a profit on something they just bought? Shouldn’t Nike be smart enough to figure out how to make that money?
[close]
supply and demand is kind of outdated as a concept for niche items. by constantly having the supply to meet the demand, you play yourself out of the current market. the market wants scarcity. that’s why albums have small vinyl runs, it’s why supreme makes limited runs of t-shirts and it’s why nike makes limited runs of shoes. resell is the motivator on purchasing at this point, not functionality or ownership. nike has a bunch of simple models of shoes that sit on shelves forever so you can get an average sneaker, but anything with any sort of artistry is going to have implied scarcity as the driving force

You make some good points. What I am saying is that with an implied scarcity there could be a price increase that would not affect sell through. I am not suggesting they water down their branding by having their supply meet the demand. I am saying that there must be some money left on the table.

Here’s an example from the concert industry. If an artist sells out their show in an hour, could they have charged twice as much and sold it out in 2 hours? Or charge twice as much, not sell out, but sell 75% as many tickets?

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2020, 12:33:43 PM »
one of my buddies is one of the last three remaining riders on the Adidas Snowboarding program, they cut almost everyone . Not sure if this is related in some way.

Right, I thought it was weird Jed got on had a video part/ Doc and then was off with both videos scrubbed from the net 6 months later.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2020, 12:38:50 PM »

I had a homie that rode for the snowboard program that i didnt even realize was cut until you said this. Hes been ripping too, had a really good part last year. Adidas is definitely just looking for the next money move and its definitely not skating or snowboarding

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2020, 12:42:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Aside from the Busenitz models Adidas is garbage. Nike discontinued the Koston 1 and made dunks unobtainable. They both might as well exit skateboarding because all they offer is hypebeast trash anymore anyways. Shalom.
[close]

the 3st.004, Tyshawn's, and Puig's are all great shoes IMO.

i know everyone like to shit on "corporate" shoe companies but adidas has had a skate team for over 20 years. its definitely still wack that they are pulling product from shops to save some $$$ when they definitely would still stay afloat without doing so. in no way am i in support of them doing this, but like mentioned earlier, if you shop goes under because nike/adidas pulls your account, your shop/scene is most likely wack.

tbh im just salty because i love adidas skate team / how the shoes perform

i like cupsouls that arent chunky and adidas absolutely kills that aspect.
[close]

I think this idea that if your shop goes under because you loose your adidas account then your shop sucks is bull shit. I think you guys have a big misunderstanding as to what kids are buying and what it takes to keep your doors open.

all the kids want is Nike/Adidas/Vans
[close]

im 20yo so you'd probably consider me a kid (which i am)

and youre right, we (my age group) pretty much only buys nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

but can you blame us? all of the dudes my generation fucks with ride for such companies and are supported by such companies. there often the same price or cheaper than "core" shoe companies, the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes. and "core" shoe companies dont produce footage as frequently as vans or nike etc.

you dont see kids my age wearing éS/osiris/etnies for a reason. We think they look fucking stupid, and they dont perform as well as the companies i listed above

We grew up in a era where skateboarding was/is mainstream and cool. not a underground subculture.

i have a lot of respect for companies such as emerica,lakai,és,etc. for paving the way for us, but at the end of the day we all wear what we feel comfortable in. Millenials/Gen Z just so happens to feel comfortable in Nike / Adidas or whatever "corporate" devil worshipping, child laboring companies shoes.

DC is still cool tho. We fuck with DC

i understand most will disagree being that this website is mostly older dudes, but this is just the way i see it. times are changing.

thank you for listening to my TED talk
[close]

This was always such a bullshit take. Advertising is what makes you think that. Either that or you're someone who works for one of these companies.
[close]

I agree if you’ve ever skated Vans you know that shit isn’t stronger than any other shoe. I’ve skated a few corpo shoes not one stands as as more durable than a core shoe. Cons uncomfortable got beat vans mediocre and her destroyed fast. 440 was the best (still back the 440) but sole/tread  died before the upper. Not saying these things don’t happen with core company’s but it’s 2020 they all last about the same. You just wanna look like your homies and you bought into the marketing. Own it.
[close]

sure ill own it.

like i said in my earlier post, i think most "core" shoe companies products look stupid. sue me, i like what i like. Most of my generation will tell you the same. in MY experience they didnt perform nearly as well either. not saying all "core" shoes suck, thats just my experience with the products.

ill say it again, the reason Gen Z/Millenial skater fuck with "corporate" shoes is because we think they look better, and we like to dress like the skaters we think are rad. just as you did back in your day. fads/style changes, most "core" companies havent excepted that change yet and are still living in the past

i totally understand the hate for "corporate" shoe companies, but i think a lot of it is just fucking pointless and comes from a stupid place.

these companies arent going anywhere anytime soon. skating is growing and will most likely continue to grow for the foreseeable future.
[close]

plus nike and adidas have made a ton of iconic shoes sometimes that’s a reason ppl like things
[close]

Louis Vuitton and Starbucks have made really iconic stuff. If they got into the skate game I'd buy all their shit because I'm a trendy jock.
[close]

hey man, its ur money not mine. if u wanna look like a trendy jock, you should be completely free to do so. thats why skating is so dope. YOU GET TO PICK UR STYLE. the idea that a skater has to dress a certain way is so fucking out dated. IMO thats  the " trendy jock" shit you speak of. Since when does skating have a fucking uniform? let people wear whatever they want. if Lucien wants to skate Louis V, let him. if Chris Cole wants to wear fallen, let him. you dont have to watch these peoples footage if you dont like it, and you certainly dont have to buy there products.

let the youth wear what they want and be happy for them. at the end of the day its their money not yours. not to mention companies like nike/adi/vans pay there riders amazing salaries. how can you be mad at that. oh no! a company that is paying skaters reasonably and allowing them to live comfortably !!!

also, when will the boomer skaters understand theres a generation gap, and drop the saltiness

like i said earlier. we grew up with skating being mainstream/cool. no one ever bullied us for skating or told us we were fags. if anything its the exact opposite, the skaters r probably the cool kids in school now. this is why companies like nike/adi/vans have come into skating. people r starting to realize just how fucking sweet skating is, and they want a piece of it. whether or not they "care" about skating is subjective. i understand that. but at the end of the day you know what every companies goal is? MONEY. core or not.

im not saying thats a good or bad thing, im just telling you the reality of it, and what my experience has been growing up post 2000

we also grew up with the internet, which allows us to watch whatever we want, whenever we want. and guess which companies have a a larger internet presence? nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

of course mindsets are going to change. the world is a lot different than it was 20+ years ago. we grew up in this shit

idk why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

if you like wearing "core" skate shoes, good for you ! im happy you've found a product that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. thats not always easy to do. likewise tho, dont shit on people who wear "corporate" skate shoes. they have there reasons just like you have yours.

im going to continue to wear adidas shoes, as i like to support there skate team which i think consists of great skaters. they also make a product which in my experience has been unparalleled to any other shoe company.

im sure your reason for wearing Lakai/éS/fallen, or whatever the fuck is exactly the same as my reason for wearing adidas.
[close]

Exactly. You're the type of person who wouldn't skate if it wasn't cool, i.e., a trendy jock. I can criticize these companies as much as I want. Why do you corporate guys get so worked up when people point out some of the lame aspects of these companies? Talk about getting defensive. You wrote an entire wall of barely coherent text in response to a few sentences. The only point you seem to be making is that you don't care about skateboarding culture and you prefer corporate brands because they look cooler. That's all you had to say. Instead you subjected us all to a page from your diary.
[close]

i started skating because of a mcdonalds toy. so chut up. u and i skate for the same exact reason. because we think its the coolest fucking thing in the world. get off your high horse. ill be skating til my body physically cannot handle it anymore and then some.

you arent even arguing about shoes anymore, youre just getting defensive because your realizing the points that ive made above are all valid, and u dont know how to address them.

as far as "skateboarding culture" goes. it can get fucked. yup, yall r gonna hate me for that one. skateboarding should be for anyone that wants to participate in it, not some "cool club" that only the "cool kids" get to participate in and anyone who goes against there "cool kid" rulebook is a kook. how fucking dumb is that. that to me is the "jock shit" you speak of.

alot of us found solitude in skateboarding because it got as away from all the jock shit. to me theres nothing more "jock" than screaming somebody out of the park because they dont fit the guidelines of a"core skateboarder" or accidentally got in your way. this inclusiveness is the thing i hate most about skateboarders.

Imagine thinking "that guys a kook because he's wearing (insert shoe brand here)" thats essentially the mindset you have perpetuated to me.

I'm the furthest thing from a cool guy you'll ever meet. I don't judge people for their shoes or how they skate. I do however disagree with their support of certain companies. That's the extent of it. The reasons you gave for supporting these companies is what I find distasteful, to say the least. They sound like horrible reasons. It's wild to me that we now have people in skateboarding white knighting for corporations and cops. It's like everything is upside down. I guess that was bound to happen as it went more mainstream and different kinds of people got into it. It's just weird and so antithetical to the ethos of skateboarding I'm familiar with.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »

For those who are still debating, the amount of skateshops commenting on the above insta post should easily guide you towards who is right and wrong in this situation

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
This is the stuff about Nike and Adidas etc that I hate.
Awhile back I remember arguing in a thread that none of the companies could really claim moral superiority in terms of workers rights, as they are all full of shit and all use underpaid labor. I still maintain that's the case for all of these companies from whatever place in Asia they source from that makes shoes for dozens of other people. No one's hands are clean.

Culturally, I think Nike and Adidas can get fucked if they're doing this shit. I mean, I mostly skate vans, but I do have a pair of Blazers I like a lot, but I think those just found their way on to OfferUp or PoshMark or some shit.
ok thanks

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2020, 02:10:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Most of the legacy core shoe brands are tired and should either be scrapped or hire someone who isn’t suck in 2008 to do their designs
[close]

fr seriously. i want all these "core shoe guys", to go to lakais website and tell me with with a straight face they think their designs are modern and updated with the times. you wouldnt catch me dead in anything they make but the carrols. not to mention their team is fucking wack.

https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/owen-vlk-nico-cream-leather-ms4200232a03
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/atlantic-jade-black-suede-ms3200082b00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/riley-2-vs-honey-suede-ms2200092a00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/evo-millard-multi-print-canvas-ms2200250b03

im not wearing anything endorsed by Nico Hiraga, Riley Hawk, or Stevie Perez.

pacheco, bannerot, and yonnie r cool tho.

[close]

Griffin Gass?

Or maybe you're more into Alec Majerus, Benny Fairfax, Nestor Judkins, Jack Fardell and Claus Bohms? Lol. Adidas has like, 2000 people on their team. Pretty easy to find unpopular skaters on their roster too.

Just be honest man - you don't care about the culture of skateboarding, you do it because it's popular. If all your Nike and Adidas wearing friends quit to play sports, you probably would too so that you kept doing what was perceived as cool.

When I look for a skate shoe, modern and technical is not what I'm looking for. I want a classic, simple looking shoe with minimal branding. Last thing I want is some giant sports logo on literally every model. Lots of people want the same thing.
Why the hell are you hating on Benny Fairfax? And Nestor for that matter. Benny may not be ultra productive but has great style in whatever he does. Probably doesn't hurt that he's one of the early riders for a brand Adidas does a ton of collabs with.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2020, 02:12:48 PM »
All day I dream about shop accounts closing.

haha
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the financial back workings of shops, so please someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this be considered a good thing for shops who want to embrace the core ethos and don't want to carry Nike and Addidas anymore?

Now shops can open accounts with core brands without Nike or Addidas monopolizing the shelves thus catalyzing a renaissance of financial support from skaters at shops. Or does this cripple shops who rely on Nike and Addidas sales to remain profitable?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 910
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For those who are still debating, the amount of skateshops commenting on the above insta post should easily guide you towards who is right and wrong in this situation

Oof lol

This is super shitty of Adidas. This could be how the corpo brands started in reverse, when the core brands expanded to malls and they capitalized by only selling SB in shops. Now maybe these shops will lean on State/Proper/Lakai/Sole tech more.

Regardless of your stance on core vs. corp, support your local skate shop whenever you can.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2020, 02:25:48 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the financial back workings of shops, so please someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this be considered a good thing for shops who want to embrace the core ethos and don't want to carry Nike and Addidas anymore?

Now shops can open accounts with core brands without Nike or Addidas monopolizing the shelves thus catalyzing a renaissance of financial support from skaters at shops. Or does this cripple shops who rely on Nike and Addidas sales to remain profitable?

It's a nice thought but would rely on kids buying different shoes from their shops, instead of just going somewhere else to get their Nikes and Adidas'. I'd imagine the latter is what would happen
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »

Unfortunately, just because a shop shifts to all core brands does not necessarily guarantee that their demographic of  customers will shift as well, and that's only one aspect of where it can get tricky for shops.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »

Its a double edged sword. Customers that preferred said brands for years are going to continue purchasing the product, just not at the shop. This will cause the shop to lose its 50% margin on the footwear. If you can train locals to purchase non sporting goods product you can make some of that lost revenue back. If you're scene is filled with kids that have the mindset of the kid that posted above about how much they like the sporting goods brand regardless of how it screws your local over, then the local shop is going to have a bad time.

Glurmpz

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Most of the legacy core shoe brands are tired and should either be scrapped or hire someone who isn’t suck in 2008 to do their designs
[close]

fr seriously. i want all these "core shoe guys", to go to lakais website and tell me with with a straight face they think their designs are modern and updated with the times. you wouldnt catch me dead in anything they make but the carrols. not to mention their team is fucking wack.

https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/owen-vlk-nico-cream-leather-ms4200232a03
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/atlantic-jade-black-suede-ms3200082b00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/riley-2-vs-honey-suede-ms2200092a00
https://www.lakai.com/collections/shoes/products/evo-millard-multi-print-canvas-ms2200250b03

[close]

Griffin Gass?

Or maybe you're more into Alec Majerus, Benny Fairfax, Nestor Judkins, Jack Fardell and Claus Bohms? Lol. Adidas has like, 2000 people on their team. Pretty easy to find unpopular skaters on their roster too.

Just be honest man - you don't care about the culture of skateboarding, you do it because it's popular. If all your Nike and Adidas wearing friends quit to play sports, you probably would too so that you kept doing what was perceived as cool.

When I look for a skate shoe, modern and technical is not what I'm looking for. I want a classic, simple looking shoe with minimal branding. Last thing I want is some giant sports logo on literally every model. Lots of people want the same thing.
[close]
Why the hell are you hating on Benny Fairfax? And Nestor for that matter. Benny may not be ultra productive but has great style in whatever he does. Probably doesn't hurt that he's one of the early riders for a brand Adidas does a ton of collabs with.

I'm not trying to hate on those skaters, I'm just pointing out that Adidas isn't excluded from having team members who are either unpopular or unproductive. It was the other poster who expressed that Lakai's team is "fucking wack". I purposely didn't insult the skaters I mentioned.   

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2020, 02:46:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Griffin Gass?

[close]
[close]

I'm not trying to hate on those skaters, I'm just pointing out that Adidas isn't excluded from having team members who are either unpopular or unproductive. It was the other poster who expressed that Lakai's team is "fucking wack". I purposely didn't insult the skaters I mentioned.
I wouldn't call Benny Fairfax unpopular though. Combined with his skating, his association with Palace gives him visibility.

I don't think Lakai's team is wack though. Although, I will say they have fallen steeply over the years being unable to retain guys who are quite relevant now, and seemed at a loss at how to capitalize on certain riders. I think they did like one PWBC collab with Danny Brady, compared to Adidas who went all out on that.

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2020, 03:09:45 PM »
Good, support skate companies, order lakai and emerica, maybe give them more money so they can make better products like the ones we’ve been asking for!

this, as much as i understand people wanting to keep up on the newest hype shit any excuse to support skater owned shit should be taken without complaint
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Good, support skate companies, order lakai and emerica, maybe give them more money so they can make better products like the ones we’ve been asking for!
[close]

this, as much as i understand people wanting to keep up on the newest hype shit any excuse to support skater owned shit should be taken without complaint
It really shouldn't be on the consumer's role in commerce to buy a product with the hope that this company can make a better product next time you buy it. That is the role of investors.

What industry do you buy something of inferior quality, in hopes the company can improve the product the next time? That is an ass backwards approach to consumerism.

You don't pay for something like Netflix or Spotify, so that they can improve what they offer. You either like what they have or don't, and if you do, the revenue generated from you as a consumer will allow them to produce more content. But, the idea of supporting a company you think makes inferior goods, in the hope they will use that profit to make better products seems ridiculous to me and basically against most ideas in a capitalist market.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike has never cared about skaters. Even look at the current state of their skate shoes. It's virtually impossible to get a pair of Dunks without knowing someone or severely overpaying in 2020.
[close]

From a supply and demand stance, Nike actually blows it. Completely selling out of a product is not always a great thing. It can mean your prices are too low. 

Consider the fact that when they release a Dunk, it immediately sells out and then hits the re-sale market at higher price. Is it just me or is it crazy to think that a consumer can turn around and make a profit on something they just bought? Shouldn’t Nike be smart enough to figure out how to make that money?
[close]
supply and demand is kind of outdated as a concept for niche items. by constantly having the supply to meet the demand, you play yourself out of the current market. the market wants scarcity. that’s why albums have small vinyl runs, it’s why supreme makes limited runs of t-shirts and it’s why nike makes limited runs of shoes. resell is the motivator on purchasing at this point, not functionality or ownership. nike has a bunch of simple models of shoes that sit on shelves forever so you can get an average sneaker, but anything with any sort of artistry is going to have implied scarcity as the driving force
[close]

You make some good points. What I am saying is that with an implied scarcity there could be a price increase that would not affect sell through. I am not suggesting they water down their branding by having their supply meet the demand. I am saying that there must be some money left on the table.

Here’s an example from the concert industry. If an artist sells out their show in an hour, could they have charged twice as much and sold it out in 2 hours? Or charge twice as much, not sell out, but sell 75% as many tickets?
i missed your point about the pricing, you are correct there. i think they probably did a cost benefit analysis and discovered that price point is the amount people will pay for the implied scarcity. anything beyond will probably get them the first sale, but maybe scare off the second or third.

we’ll use your concert industry example. unless you’re the stones or something at that upper echelon, sell out is the name of the game. one of the venues in my city has a moveable stage strictly to accommodate that ideal. doubling the price for 75% of ticket sales is good for a quick buck, but it doesn’t broadcast to other venues, booking companies, etc. that you’re a guaranteed sell. i know bands that play venues hundreds of people too small just so they can have back to back sell outs and jump to the bigger venue. it comes with a small price increase, but it’s mostly about the long play. “i can’t believe i’m seeing (x band) in such a small room” becomes “it’s so good to see them playing to this many people, i remember when they played (small venue).” keeps people on the hook longer

DaleCooper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Aside from the Busenitz models Adidas is garbage. Nike discontinued the Koston 1 and made dunks unobtainable. They both might as well exit skateboarding because all they offer is hypebeast trash anymore anyways. Shalom.
[close]

the 3st.004, Tyshawn's, and Puig's are all great shoes IMO.

i know everyone like to shit on "corporate" shoe companies but adidas has had a skate team for over 20 years. its definitely still wack that they are pulling product from shops to save some $$$ when they definitely would still stay afloat without doing so. in no way am i in support of them doing this, but like mentioned earlier, if you shop goes under because nike/adidas pulls your account, your shop/scene is most likely wack.

tbh im just salty because i love adidas skate team / how the shoes perform

i like cupsouls that arent chunky and adidas absolutely kills that aspect.
[close]

I think this idea that if your shop goes under because you loose your adidas account then your shop sucks is bull shit. I think you guys have a big misunderstanding as to what kids are buying and what it takes to keep your doors open.

all the kids want is Nike/Adidas/Vans
[close]

im 20yo so you'd probably consider me a kid (which i am)

and youre right, we (my age group) pretty much only buys nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

but can you blame us? all of the dudes my generation fucks with ride for such companies and are supported by such companies. there often the same price or cheaper than "core" shoe companies, the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes. and "core" shoe companies dont produce footage as frequently as vans or nike etc.

you dont see kids my age wearing éS/osiris/etnies for a reason. We think they look fucking stupid, and they dont perform as well as the companies i listed above

We grew up in a era where skateboarding was/is mainstream and cool. not a underground subculture.

i have a lot of respect for companies such as emerica,lakai,és,etc. for paving the way for us, but at the end of the day we all wear what we feel comfortable in. Millenials/Gen Z just so happens to feel comfortable in Nike / Adidas or whatever "corporate" devil worshipping, child laboring companies shoes.

DC is still cool tho. We fuck with DC

i understand most will disagree being that this website is mostly older dudes, but this is just the way i see it. times are changing.

thank you for listening to my TED talk
[close]

This was always such a bullshit take. Advertising is what makes you think that. Either that or you're someone who works for one of these companies.
[close]

I agree if you’ve ever skated Vans you know that shit isn’t stronger than any other shoe. I’ve skated a few corpo shoes not one stands as as more durable than a core shoe. Cons uncomfortable got beat vans mediocre and her destroyed fast. 440 was the best (still back the 440) but sole/tread  died before the upper. Not saying these things don’t happen with core company’s but it’s 2020 they all last about the same. You just wanna look like your homies and you bought into the marketing. Own it.
[close]

sure ill own it.

like i said in my earlier post, i think most "core" shoe companies products look stupid. sue me, i like what i like. Most of my generation will tell you the same. in MY experience they didnt perform nearly as well either. not saying all "core" shoes suck, thats just my experience with the products.

ill say it again, the reason Gen Z/Millenial skater fuck with "corporate" shoes is because we think they look better, and we like to dress like the skaters we think are rad. just as you did back in your day. fads/style changes, most "core" companies havent excepted that change yet and are still living in the past

i totally understand the hate for "corporate" shoe companies, but i think a lot of it is just fucking pointless and comes from a stupid place.

these companies arent going anywhere anytime soon. skating is growing and will most likely continue to grow for the foreseeable future.
[close]

plus nike and adidas have made a ton of iconic shoes sometimes that’s a reason ppl like things
[close]

Louis Vuitton and Starbucks have made really iconic stuff. If they got into the skate game I'd buy all their shit because I'm a trendy jock.
[close]

hey man, its ur money not mine. if u wanna look like a trendy jock, you should be completely free to do so. thats why skating is so dope. YOU GET TO PICK UR STYLE. the idea that a skater has to dress a certain way is so fucking out dated. IMO thats  the " trendy jock" shit you speak of. Since when does skating have a fucking uniform? let people wear whatever they want. if Lucien wants to skate Louis V, let him. if Chris Cole wants to wear fallen, let him. you dont have to watch these peoples footage if you dont like it, and you certainly dont have to buy there products.

let the youth wear what they want and be happy for them. at the end of the day its their money not yours. not to mention companies like nike/adi/vans pay there riders amazing salaries. how can you be mad at that. oh no! a company that is paying skaters reasonably and allowing them to live comfortably !!!

also, when will the boomer skaters understand theres a generation gap, and drop the saltiness

like i said earlier. we grew up with skating being mainstream/cool. no one ever bullied us for skating or told us we were fags. if anything its the exact opposite, the skaters r probably the cool kids in school now. this is why companies like nike/adi/vans have come into skating. people r starting to realize just how fucking sweet skating is, and they want a piece of it. whether or not they "care" about skating is subjective. i understand that. but at the end of the day you know what every companies goal is? MONEY. core or not.

im not saying thats a good or bad thing, im just telling you the reality of it, and what my experience has been growing up post 2000

we also grew up with the internet, which allows us to watch whatever we want, whenever we want. and guess which companies have a a larger internet presence? nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

of course mindsets are going to change. the world is a lot different than it was 20+ years ago. we grew up in this shit

idk why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

if you like wearing "core" skate shoes, good for you ! im happy you've found a product that makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. thats not always easy to do. likewise tho, dont shit on people who wear "corporate" skate shoes. they have there reasons just like you have yours.

im going to continue to wear adidas shoes, as i like to support there skate team which i think consists of great skaters. they also make a product which in my experience has been unparalleled to any other shoe company.

im sure your reason for wearing Lakai/éS/fallen, or whatever the fuck is exactly the same as my reason for wearing adidas.
[close]

Exactly. You're the type of person who wouldn't skate if it wasn't cool, i.e., a trendy jock. I can criticize these companies as much as I want. Why do you corporate guys get so worked up when people point out some of the lame aspects of these companies? Talk about getting defensive. You wrote an entire wall of barely coherent text in response to a few sentences. The only point you seem to be making is that you don't care about skateboarding culture and you prefer corporate brands because they look cooler. That's all you had to say. Instead you subjected us all to a page from your diary.
[close]

i started skating because of a mcdonalds toy. so chut up. u and i skate for the same exact reason. because we think its the coolest fucking thing in the world. get off your high horse. ill be skating til my body physically cannot handle it anymore and then some.

you arent even arguing about shoes anymore, youre just getting defensive because your realizing the points that ive made above are all valid, and u dont know how to address them.

as far as "skateboarding culture" goes. it can get fucked. yup, yall r gonna hate me for that one. skateboarding should be for anyone that wants to participate in it, not some "cool club" that only the "cool kids" get to participate in and anyone who goes against there "cool kid" rulebook is a kook. how fucking dumb is that. that to me is the "jock shit" you speak of.

alot of us found solitude in skateboarding because it got as away from all the jock shit. to me theres nothing more "jock" than screaming somebody out of the park because they dont fit the guidelines of a"core skateboarder" or accidentally got in your way. this inclusiveness is the thing i hate most about skateboarders.

Imagine thinking "that guys a kook because he's wearing (insert shoe brand here)" thats essentially the mindset you have perpetuated to me.

All of this reminds me why I hate remembering I was 20.

Life will humble you and curb your ego. But let me be the one to say it first.

You don't have everything figured out like you think you do.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
When I was an impressionable kid, the guys in my local 'core' shop outright told me how much better quality the Janoski's and Bruins were over the emericas/etnies/lakais I was looking at. "emericas rip like soggy cardboard etc."

I bought the Janoski's and they loved it. Now I clearly see how they were trying to upsell and get me to spend my birthday money on higher price point shoes. Well, it worked, so who's fault is it I haven't bought emericas since?