Author Topic: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts  (Read 22744 times)

Lowcalcium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
Re: Adidas Closing Shop Accounts
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2020, 06:21:54 AM »
1st, fuck adidas and corpo shoes... Vans are alright I guess.

2nd, the kid working at DLX about 6 months ago, won't dime him out, but my buddy asked about wheelbase like the old kook he is and the kid said "That shit doesn't matter, it's all the same." LOL.

The kid at DLX had a point there. I've been skating for like 15 years and not once have I thought about wheel base until this year.

Paul Schmitt came on the Nine Club and now wheelbase apparently matters....guess what?

It Doesn't

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2020, 06:28:55 AM »
Expand Quote

2nd, the kid working at DLX about 6 months ago, won't dime him out, but my buddy asked about wheelbase like the old kook he is and the kid said "That shit doesn't matter, it's all the same." LOL.
[close]

The kid at DLX had a point there. I've been skating for like 15 years and not once have I thought about wheel base until this year.

Paul Schmitt came on the Nine Club and now wheelbase apparently matters....guess what?

It Doesn't

yeah, i'm a midget and for me it was always just get the shortest board possible, but if i don't know and it feels alright, i probably won't think about it. i never payed attention to wheelbase other than when it said 14.5 i would be apprehensive since that just sounded too long. i've been growing up on the 13 7/8 and 14 wheelbases, those are my jam i guess. but probably has the least impact on my skating and i've skated a bunch of 917 boards with no problem and they are said to be rather long in terms of wheelbase. so it's whatever.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2020, 06:57:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It Doesn't

It kicked in after about 25 years skating for me.....

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2020, 06:58:57 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm taking a break from the stripes and the swoosh for a bit. Couple weeks ago I wrote something about why it might feel nicer to support the smaller shoe brands considering the current state of the world...

https://skatelier.substack.com/p/vibrations-from-deep-in-the-sole

[close]

I really wish they'd make the Last Resort shoes in a 13, my buddy got a pair and they look so nice.
thought I was the only one with a 13 really wanting a pair. Heard they run half size big but they're gone in shops to try on

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2020, 07:34:44 AM »
The skate industry is a fucking joke and if you think that “skater owner” means they care about you then you’re delusional. Lakai doesn’t give a fuck that I literally couldn’t even walk in that Manchester reissue cause there is zero heel support. They’re laughing to the bank while y’all police each other into what you should be wearing. As for corporate brands, they are trying to make the best possible product they can to rule a market. They are in competition with themselves and their peers, which resulted in some of the most iconic designs that have been tested by multiple different athletes of all kinds of different disciplines. (And no I’m not a “jock” I was actually first chair clarinet all thru high school  :P ) There’s a reason why the superstar, Stan Smith, samba, dunk, blazer, Chuck Taylor, ect have been in production for generations. They are tried and true. Why wouldn’t you want to wear a shoe that has stood the test of time? Ill tell you why, Mob mentality. If you’re not one of us you’re against us mentality which, imo, is how supremacy is born. This way of thinking is directly related to how skaters interact with each other on a micro level as well. It bleeds into our social interaction with other skaters who may differ in the way they look or dress. In the end it’s purposeful ignorance, which was funny to watch at first but now it’s just plain sad and it honestly pins us against each other more than you would think. At the end of the day skate in what you think is the best shoe for your skateboarding cause as Waka Flaka once said
“fuck this industry, bitch I’m in these streets”

90sDamiano

« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2020, 08:46:36 AM »
Expand Quote
The skate industry is a fucking joke and if you think that “skater owner” means they care about you then you’re delusional. Lakai doesn’t give a fuck that I literally couldn’t even walk in that Manchester reissue cause there is zero heel support. They’re laughing to the bank while y’all police each other into what you should be wearing. As for corporate brands, they are trying to make the best possible product they can to rule a market. They are in competition with themselves and their peers, which resulted in some of the most iconic designs that have been tested by multiple different athletes of all kinds of different disciplines. (And no I’m not a “jock” I was actually first chair clarinet all thru high school  :P ) There’s a reason why the superstar, Stan Smith, samba, dunk, blazer, Chuck Taylor, ect have been in production for generations. They are tried and true. Why wouldn’t you want to wear a shoe that has stood the test of time? Ill tell you why, Mob mentality. If you’re not one of us you’re against us mentality which, imo, is how supremacy is born. This way of thinking is directly related to how skaters interact with each other on a micro level as well. It bleeds into our social interaction with other skaters who may differ in the way they look or dress. In the end it’s purposeful ignorance, which was funny to watch at first but now it’s just plain sad and it honestly pins us against each other more than you would think. At the end of the day skate in what you think is the best shoe for your skateboarding cause as Waka Flaka once said
[close]
Plz play us your best rendition of “hot cross buns” on the clarinet so we can confirm you’re not a jock
I got u  ;)

90sDamiano

« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Plz play us your best rendition of “hot cross buns” on the clarinet so we can confirm you’re not a jock
Making fun of the band kid is a pretty jock thing to do, I think we need to confirm that you’re not a jock   ???

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
Even more terrifying is that the possibility that there is 4 ocks in this thread, someone call Mike V

90sDamiano

« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Making fun of the band kid is a pretty jock thing to do, I think we need to confirm that you’re not a jock   ???
[close]
Oh I’m a jock, no question about it
Nice, I’m glad that you took the time to actually read what I wrote. Usually jocks don’t care to read my lengthy posts

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2020, 09:01:03 AM »
Even more terrifying is that the possibility that there is 4 ocks in this thread, someone call Mike V

Chill yo, we need to confirm that they're random ocks first.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anything but that kind!

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2020, 09:14:15 AM »

None of those was made to be a skate shoe. So I don’t see how that means anything. Red wings are tried and true also. I’ve seen dudes skate in timbs. They been around forever too. I’m aware core company’s are still trying make money. But the difference to me is a core company started because they wanted a shoe for skateboarders etc. they created a company to supply skateboarders the Corp brands ( vans being the grey in between )  Started as running or soccer shoes then wanted a piece of the skateboard pie when it was lucrative. Took its most popular models( the ones you listed) and marketed them as skate shoes to skateboarders in which people naively believed.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »

When did anyone say this? That skating should stay under the control of skaters is not a sentimental argument. It's a practical one.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2281
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2020, 09:45:52 AM »
I hope I don't have to see Chico in DVS again.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
Let's face it:

If you wears Nikes: u's a jock boy

If you wear Adidass: your a soccer hooligan

If you wear New Balance: You're a fat white Dad

If you wear Converse: You's a Wilt Chamberlain

If you wears Emerica's Creatures': u a fat white Dad who can't wipe properly

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »

I mean, you kinda played yourself by buying a thin vulc shoe then complaining about support

thats the equivalent to buying a D3 and complaining about poor board feel

90sDamiano

« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2020, 12:25:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean, you kinda played yourself by buying a thin vulc shoe then complaining about support

thats the equivalent to buying a D3 and complaining about poor board feel
Manchester I’m talking about is the XLK Manchester that came out earlier this year. Not Vulc  :D

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #227 on: October 30, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

None of those was made to be a skate shoe. So I don’t see how that means anything. Red wings are tried and true also. I’ve seen dudes skate in timbs. They been around forever too. I’m aware core company’s are still trying make money. But the difference to me is a core company started because they wanted a shoe for skateboarders etc. they created a company to supply skateboarders the Corp brands ( vans being the grey in between )  Started as running or soccer shoes then wanted a piece of the skateboard pie when it was lucrative. Took its most popular models( the ones you listed) and marketed them as skate shoes to skateboarders in which people naively believed.

or cuz sk8erz been donning them way b4 that u plouc
https://images.app.goo.gl/6UG1RsQZEfhfXUh57
https://images.app.goo.gl/9LLjF5oVf9t6cCfNA

90sDamiano

« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And ledges aren’t meant for grinding but that’s the whole point of skating. To repurpose and use our surroundings as we see fit. You can use whatever u see fit as a tool for your skateboarding  ;D

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2020, 12:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Aside from the Busenitz models Adidas is garbage. Nike discontinued the Koston 1 and made dunks unobtainable. They both might as well exit skateboarding because all they offer is hypebeast trash anymore anyways. Shalom.
[close]

the 3st.004, Tyshawn's, and Puig's are all great shoes IMO.

i know everyone like to shit on "corporate" shoe companies but adidas has had a skate team for over 20 years. its definitely still wack that they are pulling product from shops to save some $$$ when they definitely would still stay afloat without doing so. in no way am i in support of them doing this, but like mentioned earlier, if you shop goes under because nike/adidas pulls your account, your shop/scene is most likely wack.

tbh im just salty because i love adidas skate team / how the shoes perform

i like cupsouls that arent chunky and adidas absolutely kills that aspect.
[close]

I think this idea that if your shop goes under because you loose your adidas account then your shop sucks is bull shit. I think you guys have a big misunderstanding as to what kids are buying and what it takes to keep your doors open.

all the kids want is Nike/Adidas/Vans
[close]

im 20yo so you'd probably consider me a kid (which i am)

and youre right, we (my age group) pretty much only buys nike/adi/vans/nb/cons

but can you blame us? all of the dudes my generation fucks with ride for such companies and are supported by such companies. there often the same price or cheaper than "core" shoe companies, the shoes perform significantly better, and also look so much cleaner to our zoomer, low attention span, ADHD tastes. and "core" shoe companies dont produce footage as frequently as vans or nike etc.

you dont see kids my age wearing éS/osiris/etnies for a reason. We think they look fucking stupid, and they dont perform as well as the companies i listed above

We grew up in a era where skateboarding was/is mainstream and cool. not a underground subculture.

i have a lot of respect for companies such as emerica,lakai,és,etc. for paving the way for us, but at the end of the day we all wear what we feel comfortable in. Millenials/Gen Z just so happens to feel comfortable in Nike / Adidas or whatever "corporate" devil worshipping, child laboring companies shoes.

DC is still cool tho. We fuck with DC

i understand most will disagree being that this website is mostly older dudes, but this is just the way i see it. times are changing.

thank you for listening to my TED talk

lmao youre 20 youre not a kid and you dont speak for our generation

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2261
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2020, 01:44:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gosh bless you both for returning to the sacred well that is Mike V. & his penchant for taking on multiple, random, ocks at once.
Need to clean my keyboard/screen, thanks to laughing with a mouth full of coffee, as a result of stumbling across the above.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

90sDamiano

« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also these “corp” brands were making money off of skaters way before there were skate specific shoes. Think about the 80s and 90s where everyone was skating in Jordan 1s, Chuck Taylor’s, superstars, and puma suedes. I’ve even heard that Converse used to just send shoes to Girl for their riders. Hence why you’d see Guy and Rick skating them in mouse. To think that they are just now trying to get a piece of the pie is just shows that you haven’t done your research. But do as thou wilt, skate in Etnies Cali-Cuts for all I care  :)

90sDamiano

« Reply #232 on: October 30, 2020, 02:40:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When did anyone say this? That skating should stay under the control of skaters is not a sentimental argument. It's a practical one.
How so? What is so practical about it?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #233 on: October 30, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Why the fuck would skaters want outsiders influencing and controlling skateboarding? Are cool sneakers really worth relinquishing any or all of that power? I don't know about you but that sounds like a bad idea.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2020, 04:26:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can we make a list? Let me know if there are others. I just scrolled through all the skateshop instas I can find and didn't find much. So far I have seen these in this thread:
  • Sixth Ave Skatepark (Nashville, TN)
  • One Up (Pittsburgh, PA
  • Solstice (New Bedford, MA)
  • Home Skateshop (Louisville, KY)
  • Urbane (Steamboat Springs, CO)
  • Minus Skateshop (Carmel Indiana)
[close]
[close]

Added one more shop thanks to JerryGurney.

So uh, we're having the "Big shoes is satan" debate again after 6ish shops lost their account? Maybe 10? Again for the record I don't support big shoe with my money or words, but this is hardly a sweeping move.

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »

90sDamiano

« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Why the fuck would skaters want outsiders influencing and controlling skateboarding? Are cool sneakers really worth relinquishing any or all of that power? I don't know about you but that sounds like a bad idea.
First off it is us who influences them. Secondly the way our economic system is set up it will inevitably become the haves and have nots. Either way you are just a customer to either side. Nothing more nothing less. I rather have control of my own decisions then be pigeon holed into what I can and cannot buy. Skaters have been skating in whatever the fuck they wanted for as long as it’s been around. It is the skate industry that tricked you into thinking u need skate specific footwear that is lower quality than what has been around for decades. It’s actually pretty smart if you’re just trying to make a buck. But again you should skate in whatever works for you. Let them fight over our money    ;)

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
Let's face it:

If you wears Nikes: u's a jock boy

If you wear Adidass: your a soccer hooligan

If you wear New Balance: You're a fat white Dad

If you wear Converse: You's a Wilt Chamberlain

If you wears Emerica's Creatures': u a fat white Dad who can't wipe properly

The jig is up, he knows too much of the no wipe then shower regimen and what shoes they’re wearing

90sDamiano

« Reply #238 on: October 30, 2020, 04:50:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Also thinking that you’re keeping money in skating by purchasing “skater owned” is like joining one of those instagram cash app Ponzi schemes. But do you boo boo

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #239 on: October 30, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Also thinking that you’re keeping money in skating by purchasing “skater owned” is like joining one of those instagram cash app Ponzi schemes. But do you boo boo

most "skater owned" brands arent randomly closing the door to skateshops though