Author Topic: The Transition Help Thread  (Read 13163 times)

Vintagebody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 86
Re: The Transition Help Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2024, 10:08:32 AM »
How do you guys lock for grinding 50s around corners? I'm mostly a cross-locker, and I cant for the life of me manage these 45 degree rather mellow corners in the local bowl...

WashingtonNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2024, 12:48:05 PM »
Personally

For Back 50s, I keep the cross lock and stay heavy on the back truck, letting front be a bit light so it’s guided through the corner

FS 50s, I go heavy heel-lock. If it’s sharp, i sink my weight into the turn. If it’s mellow, I stand more on top and basically ride the corner

From there is just finding speed and angle that makes the grind work
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2024, 01:14:41 AM »
Maybe it’s been answered but idk how to search it exactly- wtf is it called when you don’t pop into and don’t grab out of a pick? Think nose stall but on your front truck?

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 34
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2024, 01:16:54 AM »
2021 is the year I get better at transition, or so I have told myself. If anyone else is in the same boat, let's put all that crap here and see if we can't help each other out.

I'll go first: I can't do anything backside that doesn't come down to a carve, carve grind or slash grind. I always have my upper body over the transition and can't seem to move my weight fully on top the coping, and it's especially bad on flat walls. I really want to do a stand up bs 50-50 and get those bs 5-0s that are angled toward the deck and just zip right along the coping while locked in on the heelside wheel.

Anyone got any hints or tips or am I doomed to stay a "frontside guy"?

If no one has told you, with the exception of disasters and tailslides being a fs guy is infinitely cooler than being a bs guy

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2024, 01:37:17 AM »
Maybe it’s been answered but idk how to search it exactly- wtf is it called when you don’t pop into and don’t grab out of a pick? Think nose stall but on your front truck?

I had a search on google and funnily enough another old thread came up:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106925.0

Might not be much good, but people think nosepick can be done with or without hands.

Newer deal is another one, a new deal being a nosepick to decker, like a fakie pivot to rock fakie only forwards...

I guess it is often down to where you skated or who you skated with.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 902
« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2024, 07:57:51 AM »
Yeah we always just called it a New Deal, even without the disaster decker... Nose pivot, straight in.

Heshrat

• Rep: -8
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2024, 06:20:38 PM »
Everyone learn nose stall reverts, thought it was going to be hard but surprisingly easy and a lot of fun
I did your mom

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 572
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2024, 08:11:20 PM »
Everyone learn nose stall reverts, thought it was going to be hard but surprisingly easy and a lot of fun

Now get them frontside, lay back(both ways), and shuffle.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 902
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2024, 09:43:40 PM »

Yeah, verging on illegal unless done frontside or ollied into and slid.

i'm no purist and used to do them all the time though... so i won't judge...

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2024, 05:44:26 PM »
How do you slam on >8 foot transistion? Does kneesliding even make sense anymore? Buttsliding? Or am I doomed to run out of tricks at that height
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

WashingtonNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2024, 06:43:22 PM »
How do you slam on >8 foot transistion? Does kneesliding even make sense anymore? Buttsliding? Or am I doomed to run out of tricks at that height
From a padless perspective...

If you're going big, only commit if it feels right, otherwise get out early. Shoot on to the deck or get away from the board.
Buttslide can work if the ground is smooth enough.
Staying low and trying to roll it out as a last resort if things get ugly.
Try and hit any transition, slamming in the flatbottom is always the worst.

8+ feet is all survival for me lol

Heshrat

• Rep: -8
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2024, 11:36:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The layback frontside one is mad fun

Now get them frontside, lay back(both ways), and shuffle.
I did your mom

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 572
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2024, 08:59:40 PM »
Yeah they definitely are.

ArgonautJon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2024, 05:38:08 AM »
This is almost certainly a dumb question, but does anyone have any, like, "weird hacks" to committing to coming out of a frontside axle stall position? I've been struggling with it for ages, just can't seem to commit. I can pivot out to a tail stall and drop in very reliably, but I can't just pivot out like you're supposed to. I know all the typical stuff like make sure you're turning your shoulders and looking down the ramp, but I'm frankly just too freaked out to do it. Does anyone know of, like, a cheat step to getting halfway there or something like that? Like you know how some people learn to drop in by holding someone's hand? Yeah I'm looking for silly baby stuff like that, except for dropping in from a frontside axle position.

Feel pretty sure there aren't any baby steps available but thought I'd ask to be sure.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2024, 05:51:29 AM »
How do you grind feebles on quarterpipes? I feel like anytime I try to grind more than like a foot I immediately get turned into a rock fakie position or something. And if I try to lift my front wheels more I just slip out or go into a bastardized salad.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2024, 07:38:04 AM »
This is almost certainly a dumb question, but does anyone have any, like, "weird hacks" to committing to coming out of a frontside axle stall position? I've been struggling with it for ages, just can't seem to commit. I can pivot out to a tail stall and drop in very reliably, but I can't just pivot out like you're supposed to. I know all the typical stuff like make sure you're turning your shoulders and looking down the ramp, but I'm frankly just too freaked out to do it. Does anyone know of, like, a cheat step to getting halfway there or something like that? Like you know how some people learn to drop in by holding someone's hand? Yeah I'm looking for silly baby stuff like that, except for dropping in from a frontside axle position.

Feel pretty sure there aren't any baby steps available but thought I'd ask to be sure.

Keep your ass in the transition. It’s way harder if you’ve gotten your full weight on the deck and you’re standing straight up. Keep those legs bent.

Also it’s easier to learn with no coping or low-reveal coping where your board sits slightly angled in towards the ramp. Big coping or pool block makes your board tilt towards the deck and it feels weird.

When you turn those stalls into grinds, I think it’s more comfortable to have a heelside lock on your back truck and a toeside lock on your front.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2024, 08:11:17 AM »
How do you grind feebles on quarterpipes? I feel like anytime I try to grind more than like a foot I immediately get turned into a rock fakie position or something. And if I try to lift my front wheels more I just slip out or go into a bastardized salad.

Generally speaking, you need to keep your weight over your back foot.

That said, they’re a lot like smith grinds in that getting a good one in highly dependent on where you try it. I can sometimes get one to slide on a mellow ramp if it’s super slippery but more often than not it does what you described. To get a proper, fully locked in one, it really helps to have big coping and/or steep transition. Ideally, your truck and rail are touching and nothing else.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2024, 08:20:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That said, they’re a lot like smith grinds in that getting a good one in highly dependent on where you try it. I can sometimes get one to slide on a mellow ramp if it’s super slippery but more often than not it does what you described. To get a proper, fully locked in one, it really helps to have big coping and/or steep transition. Ideally, your truck and rail are touching and nothing else.

Yeah that makes sense. I can do them on bank to curbs/ledges that have enough clearance, so I at least kinda get the motion. My park basically has three types of quarterpipes of varying steepness and I'm trying to figure them out on the second most steep. Gonna keep experimenting but I might just have to suck it up and go for the bigger ramp.

WashingtonNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2024, 11:47:32 AM »

Getting comfortable on roll-ins was super helpful for me in building confidence for FS 50s. Go slow, go fast, deck check, slash grind in, roll-on 50 in, anything like that to build confidence. I know you wrote against it, but dropping in from FS axle stall would help too.

Willie said keep your ass in the transition, and I completely agree. I almost imagine my feet as the trucks, and "lapping" over the coping like you were standing barefoot on it. Really dig in and grab it.

Keep your center of gravity on the ramp side of the coping, and give it a little pivot in. Get the weight off that front truck and push against the coping off the back truck. Going in (comfortably) fast is easier than creeping in, imo.

It's kinda wild, once you get the axle drop factor under wraps, the grind can be whatever and still make it. I end up dragging my back truck on the deck sometimes (like a dogshit Losi grind) and can still take it back in.

If you can FS grab (stinkbug, indy, whatever), yanking it in can help with keeping your feet glued. Idk if it's universal, but they call it a 6-pack in my locale.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2024, 05:08:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah that makes sense. I can do them on bank to curbs/ledges that have enough clearance, so I at least kinda get the motion. My park basically has three types of quarterpipes of varying steepness and I'm trying to figure them out on the second most steep. Gonna keep experimenting but I might just have to suck it up and go for the bigger ramp.

Location is almost everything with that trick, although some people seem to be able to do them on everything, mostly a bigger ramp or a smaller very tight one works best, eg barrier transitions are great as they lock in a lot, as do smaller spines too, if you are not so keen on hitting bigger ramps to try them.

So the older I get the more lazy I get with some things, especially frontside grinds of any kind, so I go back to very small things / banks and other type of stuff I can hit and practice turning in from, which really does help.

One other thing I also find works is front fifty stall then dropping it to front smith which then makes me get down lower to go in from there.  I have explained this to some people in the past - some get it and it works, others not so much - but then it also helps to get people into learning how to front smith too, be it from going up forwards and into it, or coming up backwards turning to fifty to smith and back in, as the board drops more than lifts, but then you can figure out how to lift it in too, which then helps with fifty and five oh coming back in from frontsides.

As others have said, more than anything, if you are standing tall on top of the platform, it is way harder to get down and come back in, compared to having your body still in the transition and staying a whole lot lower but maybe more than anything just rolling around banks and learning them on very small things or part way up transition faces is the easiest way on your own - just finding the right places to do it is the main thing then.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.