Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 20414 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2023, 07:29:57 AM »
idk if we ever want podcast clips to be part of this thread but this fucking story absolutely kills me

Shane's little chime in's are the cherry on top

doublesteveburger

« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2023, 08:48:15 AM »
thanks for that Louie Garden rip dude, was meaning to watch that

not his best material but still enjoyable, also loved watching it in the context that he premiered it all live on his website like rock did for netflix

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2023, 11:45:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Saw the king himself Shane Gillis last night and it was unbelievably great. Had to buy resale tickets over 100 bucks each but absolutely worth it, I encourage anyone else to do the same if he comes to your city
[close]

The guy who got booted from
SNL for making hack Asian jokes?
[close]

yep - that whole situation was probably the best thing to ever happen to him. well, at least he made the best of that situation. he is unbelievably funny. check out his sketch show Gilly and Keeves.
[close]

Who would you compare him to?
[close]

dude, you're in a stand up comedy thread in 2023 and you're asking people who Shane Gillis is??? Why are you here?  Gonna bust out some sweet George Carlin and school everyone?
[close]

no, bozo, I know who he is.   I was wondering what comedians he was like.   Only heard of him bc of the SNL controversy and haven’t seen him release a special anywhere, but I’m glad you’ve massively overestimated the reach of whatever podcast you’ve heard him on
[close]

He's on every podcast and is touring the world.  You want people to describe him to you like you're actually going to listen to some of his stuff? It's obvious you chimed in because you wanted to dogpile and now you're doing a little "oh! is he any good? describe him!" bullshit to backtrack because it's not 2020 anymore and nobody cares to join you in your little attempt at a finger-wag/dogpile. Nobody cares. Go try and be outraged somewhere else.

counterpoint - i was being polite to people who regularly post on slap and seeing if he was like any comedians i like.  I'm not into that who robert kelly/big jay oakerson nyc comedian crowd or the theo vonn/segura/burt kreisher people either, so if I had unfairly lumped him in, I was going to check him out.

but i appreciate the opportunity for someone who doesn't post on here a lot to make a big stink out of an innocuous exchange

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2023, 01:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Saw the king himself Shane Gillis last night and it was unbelievably great. Had to buy resale tickets over 100 bucks each but absolutely worth it, I encourage anyone else to do the same if he comes to your city
[close]

[close]

yep - that whole situation was probably the best thing to ever happen to him. well, at least he made the best of that situation. he is unbelievably funny. check out his sketch show Gilly and Keeves.
[close]

[close]

dude, you're in a stand up comedy thread in 2023 and you're asking people who Shane Gillis is??? Why are you here?  Gonna bust out some sweet George Carlin and school everyone?
[close]

no, bozo, I know who he is.   I was wondering what comedians he was like.   Only heard of him bc of the SNL controversy and haven’t seen him release a special anywhere, but I’m glad you’ve massively overestimated the reach of whatever podcast you’ve heard him on
[close]

He's on every podcast and is touring the world.  You want people to describe him to you like you're actually going to listen to some of his stuff? It's obvious you chimed in because you wanted to dogpile and now you're doing a little "oh! is he any good? describe him!" bullshit to backtrack because it's not 2020 anymore and nobody cares to join you in your little attempt at a finger-wag/dogpile. Nobody cares. Go try and be outraged somewhere else.
[close]

counterpoint - i was being polite to people who regularly post on slap and seeing if he was like any comedians i like.  I'm not into that who robert kelly/big jay oakerson nyc comedian crowd or the theo vonn/segura/burt kreisher people either, so if I had unfairly lumped him in, I was going to check him out.

but i appreciate the opportunity for someone who doesn't post on here a lot to make a big stink out of an innocuous exchange

lol you know what you were doing, and it was not "being polite". You were parroting things you heard years ago, and then began backpedaling to save face when everyone didn't agree with you. Classic.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

lol you know what you were doing, and it was not "being polite". You were parroting things you heard years ago, and then began backpedaling to save face when everyone didn't agree with you. Classic.

Everyone can read the exchange and see you completely misrepresent the conversation.  Not really sure why you decided to start posting on slap just to take this stand on a pretty benign discussion.   

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »
Shane’s fav comic is Louis ck, you can see the influence for sure. But as someone said, he’s his own monster. The stuff he said that led to his firing from snl was taken waaaay out of context. He did come up in Philly but started picking up steam with all the nyc guys (big jay and soder helped him a bunch). His podcast is one of my favorites, and his special “live from Austin” (posted above) is top 10 for me all time… maybe top 5…. Also, I’ve had friends see him recently running his next hour and they said it’s funnier than Austin. Let me know if you want a couple episodes of his podcast as a rec.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2023, 03:20:36 PM »

This dude's instagram page is so funny. Also, he has a Pug so it is a double thumbs up from yours truly.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2023, 03:59:29 PM »
Harland Williams is pretty funny too…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2023, 05:46:41 PM »
Shane’s fav comic is Louis ck, you can see the influence for sure. But as someone said, he’s his own monster. The stuff he said that led to his firing from snl was taken waaaay out of context. He did come up in Philly but started picking up steam with all the nyc guys (big jay and soder helped him a bunch). His podcast is one of my favorites, and his special “live from Austin” (posted above) is top 10 for me all time… maybe top 5…. Also, I’ve had friends see him recently running his next hour and they said it’s funnier than Austin. Let me know if you want a couple episodes of his podcast as a rec.

That’d be good.    I read about the SNL and saw he even apologized for the weak original apology which made me like him.   Sometimes you just grow into comedians.  I used to not dig Andrew Santino when he felt like a Chris Delia clone, but he’s been growing on me lately and seems a better dude for (presumably) distancing himself.   My comedy podcast world is kinda centered in the LA improv scene, so I don’t hate breaking out of that

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 60
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2023, 05:06:56 AM »
Mike Vecchione special just came out directed by Nate Bargatze.

Jay Oakerson special dropping April 5th with Ari being a head producer on it. Looking forward to that.

who da thunk it

• Rep: -79
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2023, 05:29:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Everyone can read the exchange and see you completely misrepresent the conversation.  Not really sure why you decided to start posting on slap just to take this stand on a pretty benign discussion.

I decided to start posting on slap when I got broke off riding my skateboard. You can try and say you came here in good faith looking for recommendations! Go for it. All I see is a dude trying to drum up a good 2020 dogpile in a comedy thread, and failing. 

Have fun with that post count. You seem to really value post counts.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2023, 10:21:15 PM »

I appreciate the Prospector reference. He has some skate references as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 10:32:21 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2023, 12:49:44 PM »

Love Kyle Kinane! His pod with Shane Torres, No Accounting For Taste, is a fun listen too.  Looking forward to seeing the new Shane Torres 60 minutes as well.

Also, not always the biggest fan of TAFS, but Nick Mullen is a fucking genius, and knowing Jamel Johnson, it appears he got them all ripped before filming...

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 56
« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2023, 03:31:09 PM »
I'd just like to echo the four or five before me that said Stewart Lee. Stewart Lee. He's exceptional.

My brain is fried at the moment, but some other good ones that spring to mind are James Acaster, Paul Foot, Tommy Tiernan (very different to Stewart Lee though, and to each other). And there's a guy on Twitter and Instagram, Alistair Green, who is superb. Not really standup comedy per se, but close enough.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2023, 08:22:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Love Kyle Kinane! His pod with Shane Torres, No Accounting For Taste, is a fun listen too.  Looking forward to seeing the new Shane Torres 60 minutes as well.

Also, not always the biggest fan of TAFS, but Nick Mullen is a fucking genius, and knowing Jamel Johnson, it appears he got them all ripped before filming...

His stand up is decent but I would say Nick Mullen is the funniest comedian at doing podcasts etc by a thousand miles. Nobody can even come close to his impressions, bits and riffs but it's like he purposely has to do horrible subject matter to hold himself back. The Adam friedland show is ok but it really accells when Nick is on

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2023, 10:41:08 AM »

His bit about having to take a shit at the Fireside Bowl made me a forever fan.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2023, 07:05:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Kinane's new special will be out on youtube in a couple days.  Shocks and Struts

luvs2spooge

• Rep: -2
« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2023, 08:05:03 AM »
Kill Tony
hemi sync

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2023, 08:43:37 AM »
Dave Chappelle’s and Sebastian Maniscalco’s recent stand up work is excellent.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2023, 01:20:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Kinane's new special will be out on youtube in a couple days.  Shocks and Struts

And Whiskey Icarus is still an all time classic.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2023, 02:35:48 PM »
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

AitchBeeGayBuh

« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2023, 01:16:50 PM »
Jay Oakerson

My favorite ‘sitting on a stool’ comedian.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2023, 03:37:25 PM »
Jay Oakerson

My favorite ‘sitting on a stool’ comedian.

I liked it, thanks for sharing

Never forget:

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2023, 07:42:07 PM »
Louis CK at the Dolby was funny as hell. Love when he busts out the bible

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2023, 02:31:53 PM »

I appreciate how he regularly takes great risks. It is sad how so many people do not have the ability to understand that the overwhelming majority of comedy is non-literal. It pains me to see so many individuals just waiting for something to be uttered that warrants cancellation, rather than taking it all in and considering the context. Bill is great.

Never forget:

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2023, 04:36:00 PM »
I caught a Stavros Halkias set the other night. He was very funny! Most of his online presence since leaving Cum Town focuses on crowd work, but he really didn't do it that much. Just lots of good bits. I saw Mullen a few months ago as well and felt like they had similar amounts of crowd work in their sets.

I think most comedians just share crowd work so it doesn’t burn material they’ve written, but I do hate how a lot share it as “Comedian Vs Drunk Karen” or something like that

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2023, 04:39:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I appreciate how he regularly takes great risks. It is sad how so many people do not have the ability to understand that the overwhelming majority of comedy is non-literal. It pains me to see so many individuals just waiting for something to be uttered that warrants cancellation, rather than taking it all in and considering the context. Bill is great.

Bill is so amazing and my esteem has only grown in the wake of Chappelle and all these dudes who HAVE to weigh in on transgendered people, then have to make a goddamn stand over it when people might not agree with their 50year old asses.

Bill has that rare ability to poke and prod the line from both sides but really present it as acting without malice to any one side.  He’s a bastard but never a cunt. 

AitchBeeGayBuh

« Reply #267 on: April 10, 2023, 10:51:51 AM »
Just copped tickets for the weekend, I’m beyond happy…

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: April 10, 2023, 08:20:14 PM »

Never forget:

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »
even though it’s not actually stand up, this has to be one of the best moments in morning tv history

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMk5UBpP5s&pp=ygUZbWFyayBub3JtYW5kIG1vcm5pbmcgc2hvdw%3D%3D
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?