Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 67959 times)

Tommy G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #960 on: December 13, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Back to the parking garage again. Brought my flatbar with me. Got a couple of parking block slides in and manuals before I decided to learn how to switch ollie up a curb. Didn’t take too long and it felt solid. I moved onto my flatbar and got a 50-50 and boardslides before I started to relearn crooks again. I landed about three of them, one almost primo’d, second one was passable but I slightly turned on the push out and tapped the side of my board on the tail but my landing was clean, third one was a better nudge out but I was on two wheels for a bit. A couple came in while I was skating and the girl asked if I could do a couple of tricks. I rifled off a front shuv, boardslide and manual in a line before they headed off but she was happy with it. I’m starting to lose kickflips again. I think I just need to warm up with a few while I’m feeling fresh and then put them aside for the rest of the session. Hopefully the new kicks will help a bit too.
[close]

Switch ollie up a curb. I like that idea. Mine is so piss poor and that seems like a good way to force me to improve it. That or bust out the old broomstick to switch ollie over like when I learned how to regular ollie 25 years ago. My switch 180s are acceptable considering I never do anything switch or nollie but something about a straight-up switch ollie eludes me.

I forgot to check this thread. Switch ollies up curbs all come down to timing. It took me a little bit to keep my nose from hitting the curb, but once I got it right, it all came down to keeping my balance once I got up the curb. Plus putting most of your weight on your popping leg to get as much pop as you can.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #961 on: December 13, 2022, 09:54:59 AM »
every single sessions boils down to me obsessing over flat ground kickflips, i can nollie flip and switch flip pretty good but my kickflips are kinda trash tbh

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #962 on: December 13, 2022, 10:07:20 AM »
-3c/26.5f outside, lasted 30 mins before I just couldn't be arsed with freezing my balls off.

I'll happily snowboard in minus god knows what temps, but skating in freezing temperatures is just miserable.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #963 on: December 13, 2022, 01:30:43 PM »
I am still recovering from an infected wound but it was snowing so I thought I might as well take out the snowskate and just learned front shuvs.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #964 on: December 18, 2022, 11:30:27 AM »
Had a session after a long time a week ago or something it just came to mind; it was cut incredibly short for insane reasons. I stepped out and skated to the curb spot and did wallrides and front tails untill the wax was completely off my tail. then i skated to tompkins but literally stopped at 10th and A because a man was standing in the middle of the street in a sombrero and jacking off, his pants were at his ankles and a car was like trying to get around him. As soon as I  saw this it literally began raining, so i skated back up ave A and went home.

fuck

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #965 on: December 18, 2022, 01:16:58 PM »
Got a flatground skate session under a roofed parking lot in the morning and then right after that a short flatbar session on another parking lot that had dried up. It was around -3 C / 26,6 F.

Later on I went on a walk in the forest with my wife and took the snowskate with me, got a nice kickflip and a fun downhill on the way back.
why come?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #966 on: January 02, 2023, 09:58:12 AM »
I sucked worse than I ever sucked

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #967 on: January 02, 2023, 10:17:05 AM »
Went to a college on. New years after begging a homie to come with me to move an entire picnic table halfway across campus to put it down some stairs. Took us a while but we got the trick and avoided anyone

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #968 on: January 02, 2023, 10:22:23 AM »
Went to my slappy spot which is half covered, half open in the morning. The uncovered part was still wet meaning I only could do backside stuff (roll up dry, roll out into the wet, tic tac back to the dry). Got some bs crooks and a nice bs 50/50, then introduced my new deck to Mr Flatbar.

I returned in the afternoon and it was dry, so I got to do some frontside 50/50s and then dedicated a half hour to fs crooks. I can do them on a lacquered parking block where you just fall of at the end of the block but was never able to "pop out" of a curb. Today I finally got them applying a technique I learned on Slap, i.e. backfoot in heel pocket. Got at least one decent one. Hope to get them dialed soon.
why come?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #969 on: January 02, 2023, 11:20:07 AM »
Gnarred everyone on this page for going outside and playing skateboard.

Had 30 minutes of free time today. It was all wet everywhere. Took my rain board outta the trunk. All 4 wheels were stuck and didn't spin that well. I pushed like a maniac and after a few minutes the wheels were free from dirt. First time skating the 440 lows. Trying a thicker insole next time.

I did a few Ollies, Kickflips, Heelflips and Fs Shuvs. Then my grip was completely wet and I had to go and carry on with some adult stuff. 8/10 would go again next time.
IG: @flowterspace

Tommy G

« Reply #970 on: January 07, 2023, 06:55:05 AM »
Went out to my local after a long day at work and saw a buddy of mine I haven't seen in a few years after he moved back here. He was trying all kinds of crazy shit but he's always a blast to skate with since he tries anything. I'm feeling out a few things, not really doing a lot but I play SKATE with him and he gets me on a fakie flip, which I never do after I rolled my ankle on it many years ago. A new kid starts trying half cabs and is pushing me to keep with the fakie flip, I got really close, but just ran out of steam. The kid said he liked the way I rolled switch, it looked "accurate", so that felt pretty good after a bunch of tries. I'll be back at it today after a 12 hour shift.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #971 on: January 07, 2023, 09:42:09 AM »
I sucked worse than I ever sucked

I sucked a little less than this session but I still sucked lol

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #972 on: January 07, 2023, 10:07:12 AM »
Yesterday was the first time I cut a session short because I wasn‘t feeling it (plus ate shit on a flatground switch manny). I was super angry and frustrated all day. Luckily, today was better. I skated this mellow bank spot and managed to do most of my tricks on the bank.
why come?

Banned from the room

« Reply #973 on: January 07, 2023, 11:59:45 AM »
I just got nose grinds back. Yes! It took me from 2016 to today to frontside pop out. I still can't nose Manny though without a hang up still.

I'm so happy. I finally feel well rounded in the craft.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #974 on: January 07, 2023, 01:04:18 PM »
I told a bunch of kids to take their bags off the manual pad....then they had to watch me battle a nose manual.....

Tommy G

« Reply #975 on: January 08, 2023, 06:52:57 AM »
The past couple of trips to the park have been like a blast to the past. I saw another friend of mine I haven’t seen in years skating and he was killing it, like he hadn’t taken a whole year off. I was pushing to noseslide the bank to box but I think the ledge is grabbing the edge of my baseplate and keeping me from sliding. That and I lost kickflips again. I need to spread out my days as to what I plan on skating because I feel like I’m not getting better at anything.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #976 on: January 08, 2023, 08:19:14 AM »
it was very nice

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: January 08, 2023, 08:54:31 AM »
Gnarred everyone on this page for going outside and playing skateboard.

Had 30 minutes of free time today. It was all wet everywhere. Took my rain board outta the trunk. All 4 wheels were stuck and didn't spin that well. I pushed like a maniac and after a few minutes the wheels were free from dirt. First time skating the 440 lows. Trying a thicker insole next time.

I did a few Ollies, Kickflips, Heelflips and Fs Shuvs. Then my grip was completely wet and I had to go and carry on with some adult stuff. 8/10 would go again next time.

Inspired by this post I took an old set up to the slappy curb despite wet ground and light rain. It was ok, not great but better than not skating. Will do it again, if the bearings don‘t clog up too much.
why come?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #978 on: January 08, 2023, 08:59:07 AM »
i tried to learn frontside slappies, i can not figure these out at all. it's pretty pathetic because i can backslide slappy all day like nothing.

also i did a decent nollie front 180, i can never do those but i set up a new quasi and everything just works on that board aside from front slappies of course

its a ps stix and idc what anybody says i fucking love this thing, probably one of the best boards i've ever had 

Banned from the room

« Reply #979 on: January 08, 2023, 09:34:34 AM »
My session with my cousin and his daughters. I was almost having tears of joy seeing another round of kids in my family pushing around on the slushy bricks.

Has me thinking about the 80s and 90s. Teaching my whole family how to bomb a hill and push around. That's skating. 
I'm so proud

Here's my magic foul weather board. Still going after like 5 or 6 seasons

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #980 on: January 08, 2023, 09:41:03 AM »
I've been trying to work strength back up and did some kick turns and mini manuals in my kitchen. Don't know if that counts, but it felt good to me.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #981 on: January 08, 2023, 09:45:31 AM »
Got to get out and skate early for the first time all week. Enjoyed an empty skatepark sesh, landed my go-tos although flip tricks weren’t really on my side today. But im always stoked to land at least one 360 flip a sesh.

i tried to learn frontside slappies, i can not figure these out at all. it's pretty pathetic because i can backslide slappy all day like nothing.

I have the exact opposite problem, i find approaching backside slappies to be a completely foreign feeling then frontside which I have on lock.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #982 on: January 08, 2023, 11:14:33 AM »
Yesterday i was talking with the youngsters that i haven't been breaking any decks for more than 10 years and today i landed a flip in the ugliest possible way with both feet in the middle so i broke the unbreakable spell :D

Banned from the room

« Reply #983 on: January 08, 2023, 09:09:11 PM »
I've been trying to work strength back up and did some kick turns and mini manuals in my kitchen. Don't know if that counts, but it felt good to me.

Everything counts that makes you happy. Unless you alter the spot. That negates all tricks.

Phillyflared

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #984 on: January 08, 2023, 11:33:06 PM »
Weekend update
Sat had some errands and things to do.
Hit my curb spot again. It's been my go to since covid hit.
Hardly ever go anywhere else anymore. It's a rouine or "rutine"...
Slappy's, slappy noseslide and trying to relearn some old curb tricks lately.
Sun
Cleaned up around house
Watched the Eagle win
Went to curb spot again. Happy to be out there at this age and still having fun.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #985 on: January 08, 2023, 11:36:54 PM »
Got off work and ran some errands, between rains, uprooted trees and debris everywhere. Then skated a new double sided curb I’d never seen before. Ran through my go tos and they worked out pretty easy, most first try, so that was really nice. Then I left my setup at the bus stop and didn’t realize til I was on the bus. Now I’m in the market for new trucks since cause all I have won’t fit or are completely busted :(

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #986 on: January 09, 2023, 06:01:51 AM »
Did all my go to flatland, a couple of crooked variations, started landing bs flips quite consistently again and apparently herniated a lumbar disc FML

Terminal

« Reply #987 on: January 09, 2023, 07:00:59 AM »
First nice, clean, and poppy b/s Ollies on transition in maybe 8 years. Nice to have them back

Tommy G

« Reply #988 on: January 09, 2023, 07:39:47 AM »
Skated my old curb spot with the wheelchair ramp yesterday. Started obsessing over kickflips but I started to realize after the sesh that my legs are just not pulling up like they need to for all my tricks. Gonna try to work on my pop this week. I did land some shuvs and 180's on the ramp but I couldn't do anything off the curb cut since the water was still draining from the grass. I gotta start hitting up that spot every Sunday since that whole lot is closed.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #989 on: January 09, 2023, 07:59:47 AM »
Weekend update
Sat had some errands and things to do.
Hit my curb spot again. It's been my go to since covid hit.
Hardly ever go anywhere else anymore. It's a rouine or "rutine"...
Slappy's, slappy noseslide and trying to relearn some old curb tricks lately.
Sun
Cleaned up around house
Watched the Eagle win
Went to curb spot again. Happy to be out there at this age and still having fun.

Go birds!

I don’t know if this counts as a session but I skated flat in the parking lot behind my neighbors house for a quick 10 minutes when I saw a window between my doing stuff around the house when my one year old was taking a nap and my wife was watching a tv show. All the shoves, kicky, 360 flip and nollie flip and some other tricks real quick. 2 out of 2 360 flips is still a 100% success rate. Felt pretty good which was impressive because my legs were a bit sore and I hurt my shoulder the day before. Always feels good to get out. Got back in to help with dinner and watch the birds.

I’m trying to take any opportunity I have now because I used to be a need to skate like 4 times a week person to feel good on the board but it’s been pretty hard with weather, work, a baby and other responsibilities but any time I see a window that won’t get my wife pissed at me I’m taking now matter how short.