Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 67941 times)

Ghostof941

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1440 on: June 16, 2023, 08:45:12 AM »
Got back on the board after a 15 year break, been warming back up trying flat ground stuff in my shop fuck I hate getting old everything hurts and takes effort but somehow I can still catch a kickflip. Tried to skate the shitty pre fab park down the road after work and it was full of broccoli haircut demons playing music over eachother from every direction and they were trying to film everything they did, also strange amount of really pimped out scooters I didn't know those were still a thing. Got heckled for skating in steel toe boots by a child and also got in in a satisfying manual on a little box and a solid kickflip on a tiny quarter and dipped. Tried again at 5am before work to avoid the demons and another 30 year old guy showed up and was slaying the low flat bar, shot the shit for a little and he invited me to his mini ramp this weekend so that was cool.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #1441 on: June 16, 2023, 09:15:14 AM »
Got back on the board after a 15 year break, been warming back up trying flat ground stuff in my shop fuck I hate getting old everything hurts and takes effort but somehow I can still catch a kickflip. Tried to skate the shitty pre fab park down the road after work and it was full of broccoli haircut demons playing music over eachother from every direction and they were trying to film everything they did, also strange amount of really pimped out scooters I didn't know those were still a thing. Got heckled for skating in steel toe boots by a child and also got in in a satisfying manual on a little box and a solid kickflip on a tiny quarter and dipped. Tried again at 5am before work to avoid the demons and another 30 year old guy showed up and was slaying the low flat bar, shot the shit for a little and he invited me to his mini ramp this weekend so that was cool.
Glad you’re back at it, but that kid may have been right. You shouldn’t skate in steel toe boots. Join the rest of us in the gear section and get some nice cupsoles for your “old” knees 😃

Ghostof941

« Reply #1442 on: June 16, 2023, 09:23:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Glad you’re back at it, but that kid may have been right. You shouldn’t skate in steel toe boots. Join the rest of us in the gear section and get some nice cupsoles for your “old” knees 😃

Yeah that little kid was definitely right if I was 15 again I would have talked shit to me too. Surprisingly my knees aren't bad but my ankles have seen better days. Steel toes don't skate well I'll buy some shoes that don't weigh 3 pounds a piece.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #1443 on: June 16, 2023, 10:48:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah that little kid was definitely right if I was 15 again I would have talked shit to me too. Surprisingly my knees aren't bad but my ankles have seen better days. Steel toes don't skate well I'll buy some shoes that don't weigh 3 pounds a piece.
Actually, doing tricks in them may be like using ankle weights. Once you take ‘em of you’ll have crazy pop 😃

Ghostof941

« Reply #1444 on: June 17, 2023, 03:15:02 AM »
Skated the prefab at 430am this morning and dog walking creep lady called the cops on me who proceeded to show up immediately because there's nothing going on in farmland town and they understood exactly why I was skating when I was after I explained that I was not interested in skating after the demon children awake and invade the park. Landed a 180 up on a tiny box and slipped out on the dew and I think I bruised my ass cheek. Landed a couple old guy big spins off the box. 10/10 awesome time. Need more old guy trick suggestions.

switchfakie

« Reply #1445 on: June 17, 2023, 10:43:54 AM »
an old head taught me how to back d properly bonking the coping

too humid to do shit, so it was a short sesh

DrobargeSK8

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1446 on: June 17, 2023, 12:26:42 PM »
Hung up on a fakie distaster on a 6ft ramp, straight to hip on the flat, saved by padded shorts. Skated for a couple hours. No new tricks but a good maintenance session.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #1447 on: June 18, 2023, 03:54:02 AM »
had a decent, but short sessions. Got  close on a couple of slappy crooks on a 6-7“ high outledge  that extends from the manny pad at the local park. But always flopped out, trying to get off to regular
My knee didn’t like the 20“ drop. Jumpers knee started flaring up. Icing didn’t help. I’m hoping that it will be fine by next weekend.

All in all great session, but still kinda bummed about the trick that got away and the knee pain

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1448 on: June 18, 2023, 08:31:46 AM »
new kicks came in so i pushed and powerslid around a parking lot.

first session since my 4 surgeries over the fall/winter. my shit is still hella weak but it felt good to powerslide over speed bumps and do manuals. hopefully i can start cracking curbs again in the near future.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1449 on: June 18, 2023, 11:29:23 AM »
Awful. New Deck, old shoes without grip, too hot. I had to fight like an idiot for some basics I normally get first try. Madness kicked in and I basically wasted my sesh with trying to land a halfcab flip on flat..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1450 on: June 18, 2023, 02:41:36 PM »
Very bad, i felt really tired and i was having mental blocks over tricks that I can usually do every time. I feel like I'm getting worse at skateboarding. Might need to take a break for a couple of weeks and just do slappies only

Need more old guy trick suggestions.

Slappies
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #1451 on: June 19, 2023, 04:41:28 PM »
Got a little morning Father’s Day session in at the skatepark in the morning like 8 am to 10 am. It was very fun. I don’t get to skate too often these days, but first try on flat kicky, 360 flip and nollie flip usually starts me out good. Had a good time. Did a nice feeling switch flip back to regular on the bank. Pieced together a couple lines. Got home and played with my daughter. Built her little fisher price car when she took a nap. Had no idea it was that involved. It said takes approximately 50 minutes to build with two people and those two people they’re talking about must be more competent than my wife and I, but building it was fun. I took her out and pushed her in it on my egg setup (which I still don’t think I like). Got a couple more kickys in and few switch ones as well. I really think the key to a better day skating for me is first thing do all the shoves on flat to get the legs moving.

switchfakie

« Reply #1452 on: June 19, 2023, 04:46:11 PM »
got a mega fuckton of front tailslides on a 4 ft quarter, its finally working for me, only problem is that i stop completely after sliding 2-3 feet. i guess i need to be more quickfooted to come in smoove

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1453 on: June 19, 2023, 05:03:22 PM »
More frustrating than fun these days. Have a really nice local to skate that is ruined by dimwitted parents and their children. Have a bunch of kids doing parkour/crawling around the park, some riding around on trikes they can barely control and a few kicking a football across the park too despite there being like multiple ovals in the same complex. This is pretty much everyday of the week as it's right next to a popular playground.

Can't wait to get a mini and say goodbye to skateparks.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #1454 on: June 19, 2023, 06:33:24 PM »

All about those early morning sessions once you're 30+

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1455 on: June 19, 2023, 06:50:10 PM »
I didn't really have fun today like I usually do. Maybe it was the new board, or maybe I didn't skate at the right places for the kind of day I was having. Either way, there's always tomorrow.

Lately I've been seeing more and more groups of people at parks just smoking big joints back to back and watching others skate, and not skating themselves. They have boards and everything, they just get too high to skate I guess, or never skated all that much to begin with. I know this is common place and always has been, but being around it today bummed me out more than usual.

ASS FAULT

• Rep: -32
« Reply #1456 on: June 20, 2023, 02:05:51 AM »
broke my foot.

FUBAR

• Rep: 249
« Reply #1457 on: June 20, 2023, 02:44:39 AM »
Skated 7-9am. By 9 it was getting crowded. School is out and I was kind of surprised to see younger kids at the park that early, but they were there to skate and not bullshit, so that was cool. Met a cool dude older than me who is just getting back into skating…then was bummed to watch him take a serious slam. He was fully padded up and got right up, so thats good. Welcome back to skateboarding.

BigMurf

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1458 on: June 20, 2023, 03:25:16 AM »
Ate shit kick turning on a quarter pipe. My acl is blown out and I keep putting off the surgery out of fear of the rehab process+bills

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #1459 on: June 20, 2023, 06:26:16 AM »
I went to skate at a park I’m unfamiliar with and was unnerved by how smooth the concrete was. It was nice but it also felt really weird and made me uneasy. It was like some magic school bus no friction zone.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #1460 on: June 20, 2023, 06:26:42 AM »
Got a little morning Father’s Day session in at the skatepark in the morning like 8 am to 10 am. It was very fun. I don’t get to skate too often these days, but first try on flat kicky, 360 flip and nollie flip usually starts me out good. Had a good time. Did a nice feeling switch flip back to regular on the bank. Pieced together a couple lines. Got home and played with my daughter. Built her little fisher price car when she took a nap. Had no idea it was that involved. It said takes approximately 50 minutes to build with two people and those two people they’re talking about must be more competent than my wife and I, but building it was fun. I took her out and pushed her in it on my egg setup (which I still don’t think I like). Got a couple more kickys in and few switch ones as well. I really think the key to a better day skating for me is first thing do all the shoves on flat to get the legs moving.

any switch flip advice for me?

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #1461 on: June 20, 2023, 09:55:41 AM »
eat lunch at desk shortly before lunch break, get 45 mins in during actual lunch break. sweat profusely at 1pm meeting because you hadn't planned that far ahead

mfweeno

• Rep: 37
« Reply #1462 on: June 20, 2023, 10:10:37 AM »
Had a pretty fun "two-a-day" yesterday which is a rare occurrence for me.

I first went to a-frame/QP park in the morning. I slept in a little more than I typically do, so I only had 45 minutes or so to push around instead of the usual hour and 15 minutes. Did some lines to warm up, then filmed this one a few times:

Nollie front 180 a-frame
Fakie pivot rock fakie QP
Fakie flip a-frame

Later in the day, the weather was nice and I had some free time to head to one of the little street spots near my house. This particular spot has a flat gap from the sidewalk over a small wheelchair ramp. I kickflipped the gap a few times, last one was caught high and landed bolts. Felt pretty good for not skating street in a while.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #1463 on: June 20, 2023, 11:17:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

any switch flip advice for me?

I like to have a more pointed front foot so toes right behind the back bolts little heel hanging off and my back foot square on the back of the tail. Lean forward but try and keep your shoulders a bit more square. When I do them on banks I think of them like a switch backside flip so I’m already facing regular right when I land to roll back down the bank regs.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1464 on: June 20, 2023, 11:45:35 AM »
Cross post from the ace thread. Took my cruiser (shaped warped Blast with Ace 55s and 58 Radial fulls) to my go to metal curb and the Aces performed badly. Took them to a concrete ledge and they were ok. Then went to a bank on crusty schoolyard and got a nice pop shuv. I guess after only one week my ankle might be up for some real skating tomorrow, or at least I will try and go through my go tos to see how far I get. Amazing, one week a go I could hardly walk.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1465 on: June 20, 2023, 07:41:10 PM »
Recently bought an element rail cause it was half off.  Had my first session on it and had a blast.  Should have bought a rail earlier, as there’s not a ton to skate close to my house and this thing is gonna make finding places to skate in winter a whole lot better.  Also, I’ve always kinda sucked at rails so maybe I can suck a little less now.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1466 on: June 25, 2023, 12:52:47 PM »
78°F and 60% humidity today in the Berlin suburbs.
I haven't sweat that much for a while but it was fun to hang out with my homie.

We found a loading dock ledge in a shadowy alleyway, it grinded really well. But there was no grind sound, which is a bit weird when I watch the clip on my camera.
Do people put grind sounds in when they edit videos?
Is that a thing?
IG: @flowterspace

GB530

• Rep: -10
back tail Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1467 on: June 25, 2023, 12:57:41 PM »
learning back tails
humbled

Tommy G

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1468 on: June 25, 2023, 01:07:24 PM »
Had a sesh on Friday night in the downtown parking garage and ledge that I've been curating at the bank across the street. Learned slappy back 5050s at the new Pensacola park on a day trip the other day and got a few on the parking block. Felt weird that they feel so easy after struggling with them but now it feels oddly natural. Got a couple of 2-piece lines (kickflip then tailslide and front shuv then crook) on the ledges. Had a fun time skating.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #1469 on: July 01, 2023, 11:59:24 AM »
Skated my 8.75 deck/trucks for the first time and it felt amazing.  I’m a size 12 and honestly I should’ve been riding this setup my entire life, instead of messing around with 7.75-8.5.  Flip tricks are tougher sure, but I can finally pop and grind things without half my foot hanging off the sides.