Author Topic: Notes on Paul Schmitt/Ben Degros  (Read 8168 times)

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
  • Dog Drug Connoisseur
Re: Notes on Paul Schmitt/Ben Degros
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2021, 01:20:47 AM »
you are doing great buddy. proud of you

I’m just getting started, playa. These pooseys have no idea what I’m made of.

So we’re really giving Xen a pass for pulling the ultimate boomer move and pretending to be two people to win an internet argument that he instigated? Man, I knew this place was wild, but this is next-level.
I'll give you one thing, you got half your name right.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2021, 02:57:38 AM »
Expand Quote
you are doing great buddy. proud of you
[close]

I’m just getting started, playa. These pooseys have no idea what I’m made of.

So we’re really giving Xen a pass for pulling the ultimate boomer move and pretending to be two people to win an internet argument that he instigated? Man, I knew this place was wild, but this is next-level.

Couldn't help myself
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2021, 05:17:46 AM »
Good job on de-railing a thread that had a lot of potential

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2021, 07:23:48 AM »
 :-X
Couldn't help myself

Good to have you back, Mr. Virtue Signal!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2021, 07:32:59 AM »
My current, this week’s, best results have come from: 7.98x14x31.3, 139 hollows, 52 classics. This board is weird as hell, but perfect. My guess is that it is old pgi, really old. Good pop, nice and flat, looks kind of like the crail 8.125 that mj and guy would talk about from a few years back. Just narrower.

The other setup that feels good is 8x14x31.5 stangelove, ace 33s, 53 conical fulls.

I’m tempted to try and seek out boards with less than 14 wb. Nostalgia and skateboard politics steer me towards ventures, I setup an ancient 7.75 and 5.0 hi’s, and even tho the wb was 14, the length 31.5, everything felt bad. Lots of rocket, just wack. The other tempting thing to do is get some ace 22s/129s. Short wb + ace/Indy is working for me, I have short legs. Trucks that size look pretty weird....

I think my current ideals would 7.75-8x14 wb, or less,x31.25ish, PS Stix is my fave, but the dimensions seem to more important rn. Over 31.5 isn’t my favorite, 31 length feels jacked. I’m not sure if I should be happy narrowing things down like this, feels very precious for someone with such limited skill. Oh yes, trucks are still a back and forth currently ace/Indy, with the next struggle between 22s vs 33s. 52 mm classics seem to be the most familiar, less weird about wheels.

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2021, 07:38:57 AM »
Good job on de-railing a thread that had a lot of potential

I agree! They did.

All they had to do was actually respond to my points, rather than make this whole thread about my personality. I would have been happy to stick to the discussion.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2021, 07:50:00 AM »
Well I need to measure my shoulder width.

And also, axle to axle wheelbase and how it varies between board and trucks is the end game for sure. The variables with pop are the angles of the tail/fingers of flat/truck axle closer or further away to that start angle

Find that you have to take the average between toe and heel side of axle measurements. They typically aren’t the same due to bushings

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2021, 07:51:25 AM »
I’m tempted to try and seek out boards with less than 14 wb. Nostalgia and skateboard politics steer me towards ventures, I setup an ancient 7.75 and 5.0 hi’s, and even tho the wb was 14, the length 31.5, everything felt bad. Lots of rocket, just wack. The other tempting thing to do is get some ace 22s/129s. Short wb + ace/Indy is working for me, I have short legs. Trucks that size look pretty weird....

Yeah man, wheelbase around 14 or right under with Ace/Indy is my zone, despite Ben's insistence that this is not "Goldilocks" enough.

It can be hard to find that sub-14 wheelbase board. It seems like something a lot of people are interested in. off just made a thread about wider boards with 14 wheelbases. Mbrinson88 just posted about a grip of Real boards with short wheelbases, including a 7.75x29.5x13" (!): https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113159.msg3495059#msg3495059

Welcome's bunyip shape (PS) is 7.75 with a 13.75 wheelbase. I tried this, but didn't like the kick pockets. I like a lot of flat.

I'm really into DSM right now. Enjoi, Almost, and Blind all make a 7.75 with 13.9 wheelbase and lots of flat. That's what I'm riding now. I prefer the mellow concave.

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
Find that you have to take the average between toe and heel side of axle measurements. They typically aren’t the same due to bushings

This guy fucks with measurements. Yes, absolutely.

Incidentally, everyone’s trucks get lower AND their wheelbase gets slightly smaller as they tighten them or use different bushings or the original bushings squash out. I see a lot of people not accounting for this in the Truck thread
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:51:37 AM by Post A Fit Fuccboi »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2021, 08:03:59 AM »
Well I need to measure my shoulder width.

And also, axle to axle wheelbase and how it varies between board and trucks is the end game for sure. The variables with pop are the angles of the tail/fingers of flat/truck axle closer or further away to that start angle

My shoulder width measurements were far from precise. Reminded me somewhat of trying to self measure pbh for bicycles.

The kick angles, fingers of flat....I think I’ll try and figure that out more, once I’ve got the trucks and board width sorted.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah man, wheelbase around 14 or right under with Ace/Indy is my zone, despite Ben's insistence that this is not "Goldilocks" enough.

It can be hard to find that sub-14 wheelbase board. It seems like something a lot of people are interested in. off just made a thread about wider boards with 14 wheelbases. Mbrinson88 just posted about a grip of Real boards with short wheelbases, including a 7.75x29.5x13" (!): https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113159.msg3495059#msg3495059

Welcome's bunyip shape (PS) is 7.75 with a 13.75 wheelbase. I tried this, but didn't like the kick pockets. I like a lot of flat.

I'm really into DSM right now. Enjoi, Almost, and Blind all make a 7.75 with 13.9 wheelbase and lots of flat. That's what I'm riding now. I prefer the mellow concave.

Not that he clearly articulated this, in my mind, but I’m assuming Degros’ ‘Goldilocks zone’ means for him. And he’s tall. If things were proportional, I’d be skating an incredibly small board, what with him being 6’ plus and long legged, me 5’8” short stumps.

I can’t skate welcomes, the one I had the shape was gibberish, worst tail ever, and then the whole lameness of the owner....do love the ps tho so thanks for the idea.

I’ll keep the dsm stuff in mind. The next I’m looking at is: doomsayers (Omar also a turd allegedly), waiting for the green eagle like a fiend, trying to find the 7.875 crail board, crying into my pillow

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2021, 08:44:28 AM »
trying to find the 7.875 crail board, crying into my pillow

The G21? I rode that a couple times. I actually became fully obsessed for a while with the slightly smaller version, the G009. It’s a 7.75 with 13.8 wheelbase (Chris Roberts shape). I rode like five of those in a row, back when it was shitty Excel wood or whatever.

So they’re PS now? Sounds hot, but my main issue is that those shapes had a full three-and-a-half fingers of flat in the kicks. It’s insane. Someone who needs a longer wheelbase than me and prefers Ventures or Thunders might love it. Because I prefer Ace/Indy, it’s too much for me, even though the wheelbase was essentially perfect with those trucks. I don’t know if the molds now are the same.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »
:-X
Expand Quote
Couldn't help myself

[close]

Good to have you back, Mr. Virtue Signal!

This is everybody's favorite term in 2020 2021, too bad it's so often conflated with people asking others to not be dicks.

I had to stop ignoring you because I was reading all of your posts anyway... damn if you aren't knowledgeable and helpful. I may not like you... but at least your ideas are on point/useful (something I have been clear about from the start).

Please keep dropping knowledge and Post a Damn Fit, Fuccboi (I have a feeling it'll look something like this)
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »
I had to stop ignoring you because I was reading all of your posts anyway... damn if you aren't knowledgeable and helpful. I may not like you... but at least your ideas are on point/useful (something I have been clear about from the start).

You aren't the first to begrudgingly fuck with me, and you won't be the last. Just ask my exes.

Xen still owes me an apology, which I know I will never receive

Post a Damn Fit, Fuccboi (I have a feeling it'll look something like this)

Haha! I'll drop something in the "Post a Fit" thread, in due time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2021, 07:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It is definitely weird how some of those boards go up and down in wheelbase and length, especially the 8 and the 8.5 sizes, but I guess I am not complaining as I ride the 8.38 being the longest of all those.

The 8.18 shorty is maybe the best for those who want to ride a shorter board and that tiny bit of width actually makes the board a lot better in shape overall, especially considering the 8 is 14.38 wheelbase, when I would think a 14 to 14.25 would be more what is needed.

Classic Oval on R1 Construction
Orange 7.5 " x 29 " 12.75 " WB
Silver 7.75 " x 29.5 " 13 " WB
Yellow 8.06 " x 31.8 " 14.38 " WB
Red 8.12 " x 31.38 " 14 " WB
Black 8.25 " x 32 " 14.38 " WB
White 8.38 " x 32.25 " 14.5 " WB
Blue 8.5 " x 31.8 " 14.25 " WB

The Woodshop thread has a lot of good info too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108595.0
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.