Author Topic: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)  (Read 78755 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)
« Reply #540 on: November 10, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »
A new challenger has entered the chat:

W/b is 14.25

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: November 11, 2021, 01:53:38 AM »
W/b is 14.25

That really does look good.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/hardgoods/products/call-mary-on-labrys-hot-pink-8-5

8.5" x 31.95" with 14.25" Wheelbase

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #542 on: November 13, 2021, 05:41:07 AM »
those dimension does look good..6.75" kicks..

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #543 on: November 13, 2021, 07:28:45 AM »

W/b is 14.25

i dont consider 14.25" a short wb its now the industry avg wb. id say 14" and under but for a wide board id say 14.1 should be the start of short wb. because anything bigger than a 14" wb just lose my pop on all my flip tricks

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #544 on: November 13, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »
Expand Quote

W/b is 14.25
[close]

i dont consider 14.25" a short wb its now the industry avg wb. id say 14" and under but for a wide board id say 14.1 should be the start of short wb. because anything bigger than a 14" wb just lose my pop on all my flip tricks
we're on page 19 of this thread and the standard was set early on, anything 8.5 and wider, 14.25 and below.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #545 on: November 13, 2021, 04:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
W/b is 14.25
[close]

[close]
we're on page 19 of this thread and the standard was set early on, anything 8.5 and wider, 14.25 and below.

Given most common wheelbases for 8.5+ boards are 14.38 to 14.5 and up, I think 14.25 as said is about the maximum for shorter wheelbases.

Sure there are increasing numbers of boards coming out now with 14 or so wheelbases, even some like the Quasi egg under 14, but given even 1/8" can make such a difference, up to 14.25 is still quite reasonable for a shorter wheelbase.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #546 on: November 13, 2021, 05:23:29 PM »
Has this been discussed? Looks p awesome

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/team-namaste-875-skateboard-deck/orange

AH 8.75 with a 14.25 wb

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #547 on: November 13, 2021, 08:43:14 PM »
🙏 Namaskate

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #548 on: November 14, 2021, 02:04:28 AM »
Has this been discussed? Looks p awesome

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/team-namaste-875-skateboard-deck/orange

AH 8.75 with a 14.25 wb

Yes a couple of pages back, but as you posted, it is good to have a link to a shop listing as well, especially one like Tactics with all the info.

WIDTH (IN):   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.5

Page 17 has some solid pics from @jakeumms

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115328.msg3652062#msg3652062

Top views:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115328.msg3652162#msg3652162

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #549 on: November 19, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »
new Alltimers 8.5 egg

SPoT lists it as 8.5 x 32, 14.25wb
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #550 on: November 20, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »
Finally took matters into my own hands to open up a lot of fatter shape options while retaining a constant more preferred wheelbase. Turned out pretty well using some dowels, glue, a flush cut saw, and some sandpaper (looks worse than it is). Took a 9" football from 14.5" to 13.875" in about 20 minutes not counting glue dry time. Pretty hyped.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #551 on: November 20, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »
Finally took matters into my own hands to open up a lot of fatter shape options while retaining a constant more preferred wheelbase. Turned out pretty well using some dowels, glue, a flush cut saw, and some sandpaper (looks worse than it is). Took a 9" football from 14.5" to 13.875" in about 20 minutes not counting glue dry time. Pretty hyped.

nice work. 13.875 wb sounds pretty zippy!

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #552 on: November 20, 2021, 02:24:59 PM »

Glad I saw this. I just broke the last of my Girl Loveseats and I’m terrified to go back to a “normal” shape. The 13.8”wb has been so perfect I’ve never kept a board together for as long as I have this one (which was only 3 months).
How did you measure? How far from the nose/tail? I was going to redrill a creature 9x32 but had no idea where to start the bolt holes from because the Girl shapes have such big kicks.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #553 on: November 20, 2021, 03:55:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Glad I saw this. I just broke the last of my Girl Loveseats and I’m terrified to go back to a “normal” shape. The 13.8”wb has been so perfect I’ve never kept a board together for as long as I have this one (which was only 3 months).
How did you measure? How far from the nose/tail? I was going to redrill a creature 9x32 but had no idea where to start the bolt holes from because the Girl shapes have such big kicks.

I compared it with a few other boards including the love seat by placing it on top and noting the hole placement differences. I noticed most boards I like including this one have very similar tail layouts (about two fingers of flat) and just have more or less length at the end of the tail. I didn't wanna mess with that much, so I went with 1/4" in on the tail (shown in pic) and about 3/8" in on the nose. A lot of boards you could probably just do one side or the other. I used a business card and a sharpie to draw those lines around the holes and then just eyeballed the middle. There was a conveniently placed 1/8" line on the business card so I used that as reference to draw the horizontal lines. Forgot to mention I used a punch to keep the drilling as accurate as possible (one shot with a 3/16 bit). It's not perfect but the trucks fit just fine. The nose probably didn't need the dowels, but I used them anyways. The saw I used is actually a door jamb saw, but flush cut would probably work as good or better, I highly recommend using one as it keeps the sanding time way down (couple minutes) compared to just breaking or snipping them off.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: November 20, 2021, 06:14:19 PM »

Looking good!

At first I was thinking that was a lot of effort with the dowel pieces, but then remembered others had punched through the original holes with their trucks closer than 3/8" so that should keep the trucks where they need to be and no breaking the wood between the original and new holes.

I know from many times redrilling boards, the factor of minimal distance did make for some modifications that were longer or shorter than actually desired, but this method looks like a solid and sustainable option.

Always keen to hear how they go and if there are any issues, but from looking at the hi res pic, it seems like things should work well for you.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #555 on: November 20, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »
I cant exactly get an 8.5 and above short wb deck currently in this country but i can get either get primitive, april or Girl/Chocolate 8.25 14wb board. Im wondering how 14 inch wb pairs with indy standards 52mm wheels for flip tricks and stuff?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: November 20, 2021, 09:08:29 PM »
I cant exactly get an 8.5 and above short wb deck currently in this country but i can get either get primitive, april or Girl/Chocolate 8.25 14wb board. Im wondering how 14 inch wb pairs with indy standards 52mm wheels for flip tricks and stuff?

I would be inclined to say it is all down to personal opinion, but they are all fairly standard sizes and parts, so for most people who skate fairly normal setups, they should work well enough.  For taller people it might feel a bit short, if they are more used to longer wheelbase boards, but even then a few sessions and it should feel ok.

What have you had before and what country is it?

Shuh

« Reply #557 on: November 21, 2021, 01:07:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would be inclined to say it is all down to personal opinion, but they are all fairly standard sizes and parts, so for most people who skate fairly normal setups, they should work well enough.  For taller people it might feel a bit short, if they are more used to longer wheelbase boards, but even then a few sessions and it should feel ok.

Malaysia, sort of lucky with boards coming in ever since lock down but not lucky enough to have specific boards i want. So i had a few 14.25wb board from quasi and wknd but at the time of those i was more messing around and busy with work and passed those boards down.

Im about to quit to take a break so i wanna really get back into skateboarding and focus on flat ground. I wanted to get a 8.5 because i have indy standards 149s but id settle for 8.25 for now.

I actually did ride a 8.25 polar with wb of 14.125 but didn't progress because of messing around busy work bullshit. Im about 5 11 i did find the polar pretty comfortable for watever reason.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #558 on: November 21, 2021, 01:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Malaysia, sort of lucky with boards coming in ever since lock down but not lucky enough to have specific boards i want. So i had a few 14.25wb board from quasi and wknd but at the time of those i was more messing around and busy with work and passed those boards down.

Im about to quit to take a break so i wanna really get back into skateboarding and focus on flat ground. I wanted to get a 8.5 because i have indy standards 149s but id settle for 8.25 for now.

I actually did ride a 8.25 polar with wb of 14.125 but didn't progress because of messing around busy work bullshit. Im about 5 11 i did find the polar pretty comfortable for watever reason.

Quite a few 8.3 (including 8.375 or 8.38) boards can be good too, some with longer wheelbases, but many with wheelbases shorter than 8.5 but still giving the feeling of a slightly wider board, so that is often worth checking on with whatever decks are around there for you as well.

Indy 149s are pretty standard for 8.25 up to 8.5 and definitely good on 8.3 variants too.

Brands like Primitive, April, WKND and a few others often have shorter wheelbases overall, with Girl / Chocolate often having options for shorter, along with Dwindle brands, which often have shorter wb too.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: November 21, 2021, 02:56:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

saya dari Miri, Sarawak..

Shuh

« Reply #560 on: November 21, 2021, 03:12:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol KL bruh

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: November 21, 2021, 03:18:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol KL bruh

mantap..

Shuh

« Reply #562 on: November 21, 2021, 06:49:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Quite a few 8.3 (including 8.375 or 8.38) boards can be good too, some with longer wheelbases, but many with wheelbases shorter than 8.5 but still giving the feeling of a slightly wider board, so that is often worth checking on with whatever decks are around there for you as well.

Indy 149s are pretty standard for 8.25 up to 8.5 and definitely good on 8.3 variants too.

Brands like Primitive, April, WKND and a few others often have shorter wheelbases overall, with Girl / Chocolate often having options for shorter, along with Dwindle brands, which often have shorter wb too.

Thanks for the info brah i definitely check stuff out

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: November 22, 2021, 01:13:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info brah i definitely check stuff out

u shud try the wknd 8.875VB, 14wb. Southtown should  still hv them in stock.

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #564 on: November 22, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #565 on: November 22, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
caleb’s debut for hockey

8.5 x 31.625 x 14wb

https://www.slamcity.com/products/hockey-85-caleb-debut-skateboard-deck-black
gotta be a typo, those are the dims from the 8" shape
its 8.5/31.9/14.25
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #566 on: November 22, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
Expand Quote
caleb’s debut for hockey

8.5 x 31.625 x 14wb

https://www.slamcity.com/products/hockey-85-caleb-debut-skateboard-deck-black
[close]
gotta be a typo, those are the dims from the 8" shape
its 8.5/31.9/14.25

aw bummer

thanks for the correction dawg

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #567 on: November 23, 2021, 03:39:47 AM »
heroin double shovel 9/31.6/14.125wb

gorgeous dims, hope someone grabs one/a few

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: November 23, 2021, 03:56:39 AM »
heroin double shovel 9/31.6/14.125wb

gorgeous dims, hope someone grabs one/a few

sick shape

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #569 on: November 23, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I like the same specs as you. But as far as I know, the Polar 8.25 actually has a 14.3 wheelbase if you measure them. The Girl/Chocolate boards in 8.25 have at least a 6.8 tail which sounds really weird to me and I am scared to try them.
IG: @flowterspace